Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails concert attendance

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails concert attendance

A lot of the reports I have heard is that these shows aren't selling out and the show I was at (NYC) was def not sold out as well. If this is true and every show has plenty of empty seats, that's a bad sign...why isn't TR selling out shows?...the CBH video, the constant rotation of the lineup and the 'everything' single didn't exactly help matters..I honestly think 'everything' really fucked the entire promotion of this album up. I know casual NIN fans who refused to listen to the album based on that one song. Either way, its kind of discouraging that this tour isn't as successful outside of the hardcores/diehards

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm sure some people chose to not buy a ticket after seeing some YouTube videos of this tour. After all he talked about it being the show he could never put on before... It turns out to be Lights in The Sky... Lite edition.
    Not to mention the lineup addition where there are two women who have nothing to do with NIN standing on stage for too many songs.
    I bought presale tickets for two shows, and I'm excited to go, but Trent did hype this up too much for what it is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I really really doubt people aren't going to NIN shows because of Everything.

I am pretty sure it has to do with GA tickets being $100. Most people don't have that kind of cash to spend on just 1 ticket.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: Not selling out shows....

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    A lot of the reports I have heard is that these shows aren't selling out and the show I was at (NYC) was def not sold out as well. If this is true and every show has plenty of empty seats, that's a bad sign...why isn't TR selling out shows?...the CBH video, the constant rotation of the lineup and the 'everything' single didn't exactly help matters..I honestly think 'everything' really fucked the entire promotion of this album up. I know casual NIN fans who refused to listen to the album based on that one song. Either way, its kind of discouraging that this tour isn't as successful outside of the hardcores/diehards
    Compared to Lights In The Sky these arenas are packed. You have to remember that these are big arenas that not a lot of rock bands can sell out. I know the DC show had very few empty seats.

Also remember that there is a scalper industry and some of those empty seats could have been bought by people trying to make money off of a NIN comeback tour.

Overall I'm sure this arena tour has been successful from a ticket sales point of view.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    I'm sure some people chose to not buy a ticket after seeing some YouTube videos of this tour. After all he talked about it being the show he could never put on before... It turns out to be Lights in The Sky... Lite edition.
    Not to mention the lineup addition where there are two women who have nothing to do with NIN standing on stage for too many songs.
    I bought presale tickets for two shows, and I'm excited to go, but Trent did hype this up too much for what it is.
    Why do the backup singers have nothing to do with NIN? They're not singing ABBA. : / Frankly, they're the awesomesauce of the tour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not selling out shows....

You are a huge fool.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    While the attendance to the Los Angeles show (the show I'm going to) has yet to be determined, I will say that I don't think that Everything, backup singers or even Trent has anything to do with the shows not selling out. Frankly, I think it comes down to an economic standpoint. The U.S. is still in an economic recovery mode and buying a ticket to see NIN is discretionary spending. I will say that a NIN show is worth every dollar spent on a ticket; NIN puts on probably the best live show on earth.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ive been to the last 5 NIN shows when they came to New York with 1 being in New Jersey.
    I even paid $150 one time to see NIN with Queens Of The Stone Age at Madison Square Garden.
    Hell I even traveled from Long Island to New Jersey since Does It Offend You, Yeah? was opening and wanted to see them live too.
    But sadly I didn't go to one on this tour... why?

Ticket prices are too high in my opinion and from the YouTube videos I saw it doesn't look that exciting visually compared to LITS Tour and the opener wasn't enticing, which doesnt't justify paying the high ticket prices.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i'm not too surprised that the NIN shows aren't selling out. i was a bit surprised that the first tour back was a straight arena tour. i don't know anything about touring costs, but i'm guessing (and hoping) that having a non-sold out shows isn't such a bad thing financially since there were still relatively a lot of sales (compared to smaller venues that may have been sold out with fewer sales overall).

not that i have any way of knowing, but i feel like considering "Everything" such a huge flop ("huge" in its effect on the overall opinion of NIN) is sort of a "fan myopia" thing . . i mean, for casual fans, not liking a song is not a huge deal. and i'm sure the number of serious fans that decided not to go to a show because of "Everything" is insignificant.

oh yeah. and i agree that cost is the big issue. with everything involved in going to a concert - transportation, food/drink, possibly hotel, skipping work - in addition to ticket price, it's a big commitment for most (myself included).

also, FWIW, the tipping point in getting a ticket to a second show was the reveal of the additional touring band members. although i was already strongly considering it due to convenience (i was already in town for the other show), the opening act (GY!BE) and, well, because it's NIN. did feel pretty bad about spending so much, though . . . until about 5 seconds after the concert started. :-)
    Last edited by m15a; 10-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Anyone basing the visuals off crappy youtube videos (let's be honest, even the best quality HD video is not going to compare to what it looks and sounds like in person, even a pro-shot DVD can't do that) and not going to see NIN when they would otherwise is an idiot. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.
    Similarly, anyone reading that there are backup singers and saying anything negative about that without having heard them, idiot.

People that aren't going to these shows for any reason short of money/travel/other obligations, are screwing themselves out of an amazing experience. Trent hyped up this tour as "picking up where LITS left off" visually, which it does. I'm sure Trent is regretting saying that because people on the internet will blame him for "hyping up the visuals" and not delivering, according to them. After every show I've been to on this tour, I've only heard people saying how amazing the backup singers are, what they add to the songs, etc. Whenever anything changes, someone will find something to complain about. Whenever something is the same, someone will find something to complain about.

It would be interesting to have actual stats on ticket sales for this tour vs LITS, because if there are fewer sales this tour, I can bet the #1 reason is the cost. Eating $100 plus fees per GA ticket sucked. Especially when I have basically no income right now. But I sure wasn't disappointed. Lol, disappointed.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    did feel pretty bad about spending so much, though . . . until about 5 seconds after the concert started. :-)
    Exactly.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 10-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I don't think a technical sell out is that big a deal, just overall ticket sales. From what I've seen it looks pretty successful considering NIN is a bit of a niche band with higher than average ticket pricing. Just go and mess around on TicketMaster with other arena rock shows- there aren't a whole lot of acts selling every ticket at every venue.

Regarding Tension versus LITS, it does seem (I'll try to choose my words carefully here) "less ambitious" than the '08 shows from a technical production/visual trickery and gadgets standpoint. And it's very fair to compare the two since TR stated this tour will be where they left off with LITS and be the full-on NIN experience (or something to that effect). I've got to say the 2013 lighting and video content is much better though.

And just an educated guess but 'Everything' has most likely next to zero effect of these ticket sales.

Another thing I wonder is if venues have adjusted their costs for booking. Due to the economy I'm sure that would rather make SOME money rather than no money- making it more enticing to book an arena show. (I could be completely full of shit on this one, just a thought off the top of my head)
    Last edited by Krazy; 10-20-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Anyone basing the visuals off crappy youtube videos (let's be honest, even the best quality HD video is not going to compare to what it looks and sounds like in person, even a pro-shot DVD can't do that) and not going to see NIN when they would otherwise is an idiot. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.
    Similarly, anyone reading that there are backup singers and saying anything negative about that without having heard them, idiot.

People that aren't going to these shows for any reason short of money/travel/other obligations, are screwing themselves out of an amazing experience. Trent hyped up this tour as "picking up where LITS left off" visually, which it does. I'm sure Trent is regretting saying that because people on the internet will blame him for "hyping up the visuals" and not delivering, according to them. After every show I've been to on this tour, I've only heard people saying how amazing the backup singers are, what they add to the songs, etc. Whenever anything changes, someone will find something to complain about. Whenever something is the same, someone will find something to complain about.
    People will ALWAYS find something to bitch about.

The thing is, is that TR said "Picking up where LITS left off". That's really it. He didn't say "THIS IS LITS BUT 1,000,000 TIMES MORE AWESOME!".

Even if Tension 2013 isn't as good as LITS (I didn't get the chance to see any shows during the LITS since they skipped Kansas and I was only 16 at the time with no transportation) this tour has been fucking awesome. With the new visuals, the new additions to the live crew to even the back up singers, this tour has been nothing short of spectacular.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    The thing is, is that TR said "Picking up where LITS left off". That's really it. He didn't say "THIS IS LITS BUT 1,000,000 TIMES MORE AWESOME!".
    Exactly. I saw 2 LITS shows (one each leg) and 4 Tension shows. There were parts during LITS, like Vessel, where the visuals made the collective audience go "WHOA!". The same thing happened during Disappointed, every night.
    There are songs where the visuals are just added atmosphere, songs where the visuals are a beautiful video as a backdrop, songs where the visuals move around the musicians, songs where the visuals are an altered version of the musicians, songs where the visuals are just lights and colors and smoke and chaos, and there are songs where the visuals fucking blow your mind. Tension is every bit picking up where LITS left off, and in typical Trent fashion, he has re-invented the live band and his music.
    I'll shut up now, I think I made my point.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^^ And to add on nemisiswontdie, it is NIN/TR we're talking about here. The bar has been set VERY high through the years with their live shows. There's only so many live arena shows that can pull this kind of stuff off while having a big hand in the production, and flowing well with the music- adding to the experience while not getting in the way.

If this was Metallica's tour it would've been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait, you haven't even been to a show yet and you're shitting on the tour? Patience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    You are a huge fool.
    I can't see why, except that I have an opinion and don't just eat Trent's shit and piss.

Anyone basing the visuals off crappy youtube videos (let's be honest, even the best quality HD video is not going to compare to what it looks and sounds like in person, even a pro-shot DVD can't do that) and not going to see NIN when they would otherwise is an idiot.
    I'm sure the show is great, just like all of his shows. I'm not awestruck like I was with LITS though.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post

He also said this: "This is the full-on NIN Live experience realized as we never could before."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to eat piss. Just sayin'. :P

<-------- goes back to watching the shitty afternoon NFL match-ups

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I did notice the shows not being sold out. But I honestly don't really see why that matters?

Trent seemed WAY more into these shows than LITS, and the band sounds 1000% better. Both shows I went to Trent was happy as piss on stage thanking everyone for coming out and how much he appreciates the support. And Hesitation Marks sounds amazing live, these shows knocked my tits off.

Looks gravy to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure the show is great, just like all of his shows. I'm not awestruck like I was with LITS though.
    I have one question.....have you actually been to a Tension show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to billpulsipher's thesis on how Everything is to blame for global warming.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I can't see why, except that I have an opinion and don't just eat Trent's shit and piss.
    If you're implying that everyone who disagrees with you is so obsessed with anything and everything Trent does that they can see no flaw in this tour, then I see no reason to continue a conversation about it with you.
    If you're saying heroicraptor specifically eats Trent's excrement, I'll just laugh in your face about your post.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Another thing is this isn't a barebones live show where he doesnt have to pay a lot for production etc. I am sure this is costing TR a lot for the production and the additional band members (backup singers, Pino etc). Not selling out the shows could have an effect on future tours, and if he wants to go through the trouble. As for the prices being too expensive, Depeche Mode tickets are even more expensive and they are playing the same arena's and selling out without a problem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you're implying that everyone who disagrees with you is so obsessed with anything and everything Trent does that they can see no flaw in this tour, then I see no reason to continue a conversation about it with you.
    If you're saying heroicraptor specifically eats Trent's excrement, I'll just laugh in your face about your post.

That is exactly how I feel about Trent's fanbase. Tell me some words about how I'm wrong.
    The opposition to my argument is that people think female vocals accent Trent's vocals in a positive way, and somehow add to the experience. I don't feel that way about it.
    I also feel that a couple women standing there doing nothing really takes away from the energy that Nine Inch Nails live is.

I guess Trent really is old and I'm gonna have to accept that.

also - say it to my face and not the internet and see what happens bro
    Last edited by Avarik; 10-20-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Another thing is this isn't a barebones live show where he doesnt have to pay a lot for production etc. I am sure this is costing TR a lot for the production and the additional band members (backup singers, Pino etc).
    Exactly why I, while annoyed by the price, understood the cost and kept the bitching to a minimum. If I didn't want to support the tour, I wouldn't have. As an artist, I understand Trent wanting to do everything he can to have his art come across as best as possible, so that it feels right and true to his artistic vision. I also understand that sometimes that means spending a lot more money than you'd otherwise want to.
    To me, it's worth it. To other people, it's not. And as long as everyone understands that opinions are just that, everything's fine.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I've hit a few tours in my day. Even during the Fragility tour, the arenas weren't selling out. The press releases said they sold out, and maybe every last ticket got sold (including tickets scalpers bought and didn't manage to sell) but there have been empty seats at every single arena NIN show I've been to. General admission always looks half empty because they limit the number of tickets allowed in GA. If it weren't for the crush towards the stage when NIN played, if everyone gave each other a little room, the floor would look full, the way it does when the show is over and everyone is leaving.

I watched arena crowds dwindle over the years. It made me a little sad, but when you don't have the promotional backing of a larger music organization, you're going to mostly reach your core audience, which, while faithful, will only serve to shrink if that's all you cater to.

These shows? Barclay's looked full compared to previous tours. Newark was full too. DC wasn't as full as those two, but these have been the largest crowds I've seen since the Fragility tour.

Another thing to consider regarding the reports that the production doesn't match up to Lights in the Sky is that the production basically wasn't all finished when the tour started. Malechite was at the first show, and when he was standing next to me at the Brooklyn show, he audibly gasped "Woah" when In Two started. He mentioned that the displays on several of the songs weren't there before, and it had basically been the band with colored lights and smoke machines. As a programmer with tight deadlines, I sympathize with the "Launch it now, make it perfect later" approach it appears had to be taken. While that meant the first few dates weren't getting the fully experience, no one is leaving the shows now thinking, "Lights in the Sky was better than that." I think the most negative I've heard was "I don't like the new album, so I was bummed so much material from that was played." (this will be countered in years to come by the newbies who wish they had the opportunity to see the more obscure tracks performed live by this lineup)

I took my four bandmates to see the DC show. None of them had seen NIN, except one of the guys who was at the Phoenix Lollapalooza show back in 1991, where they played about 2.5 songs before everything burnt out. When the show was over, they were all pretty much stunned. "That show was so... dynamic." "I'm still processing what I just saw." "They just went to work. Alright, I'm done with the drums, on to piano. Okay, put rock out on guitar, then play an erhu." etc. etc.

It's an expensive show, but it's pretty much like nothing else you'll ever see.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I also feel that a couple women standing there doing nothing really takes away from the energy that Nine Inch Nails live is.
    This is the most uninformed bit you've posted yet on the subject. (emphasis mine)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The opposition to my argument is that people think female vocals accent Trent's vocals in a positive way, and somehow add to the experience. I don't feel that way about it.
    I don't think you have paid any attention to what's been going on.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree with everyone here about the ticket prices being too high. Aren't we in the middle of a recession? I was lucky to be working a job with pretty much unlimited hours so I just took an extra weekend shift to justify paying 96$ for seats across the arena. In fact, I almost didn't even go and I love NIN. I don't think casual fans would have payed 96$ to sit where I am sitting. But, on a side note, I don't think Everything as a song put casual fans off. I don't think people who only know Closer, Hurt and/or Hand That Feeds would have thought that the song was all that strange for NIN.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    also - say it to my face and not the internet and see what happens bro
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH bro.... I love it when people say bro without irony. Are you one of those guys that yells, "Play fuck you like and animal" during a show?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Still haven't had anyone explain to me why Tension is so good. All I'm seeing is how much of a faggot I am and bro and lol irony

I'm only half-trolling. I do actually not like the female vocals but that's unacceptable to the NIN community I have found out.