Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails concert attendance

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Orlando Tension was my 8th NIN show and the only NIN show I have attended that was not 100% sold out. Granted, it was the largest venue of all 8 shows (~18,000 capacity). On to Vegas!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    After reading some of the comments, I didn't realize LITS had so many tickets that went unsold. The show I went to was the fastest show to sell out at that venue ever, (until Elton John came a few years later). Granted, it only seats about 9,000 at the very most. Though, my ticket was also 20$ cheaper five years ago than it was this time around, (in roughly the same spot in different arenas). Maybe NIN just can't draw a crowd like in could a few years ago.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Surprised to hear this, I heard London was sold out and saw NIN at Primavera where they probably had the 2nd most dense show at the festival following arcade fire. Maybe NIN headline festivals cause they have a lot of casual fans not willing to pay for shows. Everyone loves Closer and HLAH...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    London was full but I don't think it sold out if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    If you want to see a not-sold-out show, just look at the interactive seat map for the upcoming Sacramento show:

http://concerts.livenation.com/event...:735762:229440

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    If you want to see a not-sold-out show, just look at the interactive seat map for the upcoming Sacramento show:

Looks like that place has a bunch more seats than in Camden. Camden still has seats available but they're all in the 2nd level. 1st level was sold out almost immediately day of. I know a bunch were prob resellers, but with the nin.com presale fiasco I'd assume MOST were legit NIN fans.

I had to get mine through Soundgardens presale. I friggin wish I knew about it before I spent 15 mins trying to get through to nin's. I'm not overly pissed. I have 100 level seats, but my friends and I wanted PIT. Ah well. I plan on spending most of my time in the lawn anyway during soundgarden and wont even show up to my seats until NIN.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

they definitely oversaturated themselves.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    After reading some of the comments, I didn't realize LITS had so many tickets that went unsold. The show I went to was the fastest show to sell out at that venue ever, (until Elton John came a few years later). Granted, it only seats about 9,000 at the very most. Though, my ticket was also 20$ cheaper five years ago than it was this time around, (in roughly the same spot in different arenas). Maybe NIN just can't draw a crowd like in could a few years ago.

I realize this is an old post, but what LITS show were you referring to? Just kind of curious...

Im on a phone ight now so can't do the interactive thing. Last time fiddling around the worst selling one to my eyeballs was the one near Boston.

Overall id say sales are pretty good for this summe tour- don't have numbers to back it up but seems to be selling better than Tension. Amphitheaters are typically huge (an average ampitheater seats more than average arena) and many sections of the arenas for Tension were closed off (i.e. uppers of Phoenix, half of Spokane, etc.)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Im on a phone ight now so can't do the interactive thing. Last time fiddling around the worst selling one to my eyeballs was the one near Boston.
    Put it in perspective for you, you can buy A PAIR of 8th row 1st tier seats for face value right now from ticketmaster. Expanding into sactown = worst decision ever.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Last time I looked, Toronto was totally sold out -- not even lawns available.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't really understand South America personally, it's like the crowds are incredible, really into it, and massive from the looks of the Brazil Lollapalooza footage, yet can't get people to go to headlining shows
    Last edited by WorzelG; 06-19-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I realize this is an old post, but what LITS show were you referring to? Just kind of curious...
    A couple people mentioned it earlier in the thread. Too lazy to find it myself. I was just going by what they said, they could be completely wrong.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I can confirm that demand for the last LITS show in PH was weak with prices on the secondary market about 75% of face value leading up to the show.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I can confirm that demand for the last LITS show in PH was weak with prices on the secondary market about 75% of face value leading up to the show.
    I went to that show and it was packed- PH was one of the smaller venues for LITS. Not uncommon for tickets to be sold under face right before shows, people just wanna get something for them at that point. I had extras for Tool at PH back in 2010 and nearly gave them away.

I made the mistake of letting someone else get the tickets to that one (never again)- they procrastinated and we ended up getting shitty seats all the way in back, underneath the balcony. About half way through one of the girls we were with ended up going around to different ushers, asking about seats. One of them let us sit in some empty handicapped ones, right of stage at the back of one of the 100's section.

My experience with LITS as far as attendance:

- Lollapalooza: not sure how to judge this one
    - LA: guessing about 1/3 to 75% full. What a crap hole The Forum is, don't care how much history is there with the Lakers that place should be set on fire. Dump near the ghetto.
    - Minneapolis, Target Center: packed, don't recall seeing many empty seats if any
    - LV, PH: packed

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I went to that show and it was packed- PH was one of the smaller venues for LITS. Not uncommon for tickets to be sold under face right before shows, people just wanna get something for them at that point. I had extras for Tool at PH back in 2010 and nearly gave them away.
    It was probably packed cuz scalpers took a beating unloading tickets for way under face. Not like, the days leading up to the show but the WEEKS leading up to the show.

I had tickets for that same show (tool 2010) and we both done fucked up. The tix were so available leading up to the show that ticket prices were dogshit, and then the week before the show it all of a sudden sold out and ticket prices skyrocketed. Unless you're saying that you had to give them away on the day of, in which case don't know what to say there. Possible I got my venue + date wrong, but I'm positive it was Tool in LV as I unloaded my tix for cheap and then ate my shit when I changed my mind a few weeks later.

//edit

My bad, I was referring to the 2012 show @ Mandalay Bay. Didn't go to PH in 2010, went to Nokia instead (at a whopping $220/ticket).

Me and you, we go to the same shows.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 06-19-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    And regarding the LITS PH show- one of the cool things was on the flight out of LV the next day. Two seperate groups of people (one in front of me and another rows behind) were just gushing over the show. Was really cool to hear the discussions of "OMG, that NIN show last night- I've never seen anything like it!!!" and listening to non-NIN fans talk about it, explaining the show and visuals. Just sat back with a grin on my face thinking about how many people would've enjoyed this tour no matter what they think of the band.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I had tickets for that same show (tool 2010) and we both done fucked up. The tix were so available leading up to the show that ticket prices were dogshit, and then the week before the show it all of a sudden sold out and ticket prices skyrocketed.

My situation was this: OK, Tool playing a smaller venue (non arena) in LV- got my tickets, then saw some better seats and bought those. No problem, should sell out quick and can dump them cheap on Stubhub. Days go by and looking at TM thinking "oh shit- this show is selling like dog shit..."

The odd part is the Tool PH show earlier this year sold out right away, not sure why a few years and no albums later (heh) made such a difference.

Anyways glad to be going back to PH- even if it is in Vegas- excellent venue to watch a show and has good acoustics.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    And regarding the LITS PH show- one of the cool things was on the flight out of LV the next day. Two seperate groups of people (one in front of me and another rows behind) were just gushing over the show. Was really cool to hear the discussions of "OMG, that NIN show last night- I've never seen anything like it!!!" and listening to non-NIN fans talk about it, explaining the show and visuals. Just sat back with a grin on my face thinking about how many people would've enjoyed this tour no matter what they think of the band.
    Hell yeah, LITS got me into the band. Before the September show @ the forum, I actually was not into NIN at all. Someone gave me the TDS CD and I was just WTF. Based on reputation alone, I went to NIN @ Forum and was so blown away I bought tix to LV as soon as I found out. Now I'm here...a semi functional addict.

You going to PH in July too eh? From Mil??? You going to relive 2008 and make it to LA too? lol

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Hell yeah, LITS got me into the band. Before the September show @ the forum, I actually was not into NIN at all. Someone gave me the TDS CD and I was just WTF. Based on reputation alone, I went to NIN @ Forum and was so blown away I bought tix to LV as soon as I found out. Now I'm here...a semi functional addict.

You going to PH in July too eh? From Mil??? You going to relive 2008 and make it to LA too? lol
    Yup, going to PH- really a no-brainer since I've got a friend from Milwaukee that lives in Vegas. I'm lucky in the fact that I travel a shit ton for work so the major expenses (air fare, hotel, rental car) are basically free. Red Rocks is a must-see venue, then it's a short 2 hour drive from Milwaukee to the Illinois venue.

Most likely no LA for me though. Will see how much I like this tour and figure out if I wanna go to any of the later ones- I heard there's some awesome tickets left for Sacramento so that's a possibility!!!! :O

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Most likely no LA for me though. Will see how much I like this tour and figure out if I wanna go to any of the later ones- I heard there's some awesome tickets left for Sacramento so that's a possibility!!!! :O
    Downside: going to Sacramento

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Downside: going to Sacramento
    Downside of traveling: traveling anywhere during vacation. Seriously- just wanna sit on my but, hit some golf balls into trees and curse about it, have some beers in the evening, sleep til noon. Repeat for week or so. Opening the NIN tour is one exception :-D

Won't bitch about it. Sorry for the thread derail, carry on folks.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Downside of traveling: traveling anywhere during vacation. Seriously- just wanna sit on my but, hit some golf balls into trees and curse about it, have some beers in the evening, sleep til noon. Repeat for week or so. Opening the NIN tour is one exception :-D

Won't bitch about it. Sorry for the thread derail, carry on folks.
    I'm coming back from India on 7/18 (~24 hours plane ride) and hopping on a plane the next day to head to LV for 3 days of R&R. I feel yah bro

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    That's awesome. The most recent time I saw NIN, I had to ferry over. On the ride back, there were so many NIN shirts. Pretty sure we could have hijacked the boat and started a NIN pirate ship.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was looking around at the 'big' tours like Lady Gaga to see if those sorts of tours are big sell outs as a comparison, and I don't think they're doing brilliantly either - in this link
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtRave:_The_Artpop_Ball looking at the figures of sales at the bottom it's written to make it sound like a sell out but when you check venue capacity there's actually a disparity. Example, Atlanta the venue is 21000 or so capacity, tickets sold 10000 or so written as if the number sold was the capacity. unless they changed the format of the venue or somebody is lying on Wikipedia!

Miley Cyrus Bangerz tour
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangerz_Tour#Shows
    London 02 says she sold 12000 or so out of. 16000, yet 02 capacity is 20000 or so?? A review in the Telegraph says it was packed??
    Last edited by WorzelG; 06-20-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I was looking around at the 'big' tours like Lady Gaga to see if those sorts of tours are big sell outs as a comparison, and I don't think they're doing brilliantly either - in this link
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtRave:_The_Artpop_Ball looking at the figures of sales at the bottom it's written to make it sound like a sell out but when you check venue capacity there's actually a disparity. Example, Atlanta the venue is 21000 or so capacity, tickets sold 10000 or so written as if the number sold was the capacity. unless they changed the format of the venue or somebody is lying on Wikipedia!

Miley Cyrus Bangerz tour
    London 02 says she sold 12000 or so out of. 16000, yet 02 capacity is 20000 or so?? A review in the Telegraph says it was packed??
    Is the venue capacity for that setup (where 1/3 or so of the seats are blocked off because they're behind or next to the stage area) or of the entire venue (if the full floor was being utilized, like for a hockey game)?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Is the venue capacity for that setup (where 1/3 or so of the seats are blocked off because they're behind or next to the stage area) or of the entire venue (if the full floor was being utilized, like for a hockey game)?
    Might be but there's no way of knowing. I don't even know where you'd get the figures from in the first place

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

Miley Cyrus Bangerz tour
    I remember reading there were some stadiums half full for Kanye's Yeezus tour too. Maybe it's harder to sell out large production tours because of the ticket cost?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I remember reading there were some stadiums half full for Kanye's Yeezus tour too. Maybe it's harder to sell out large production tours because of the ticket cost?
    I recall reading about the KC show, thought it was only about 3500 but Google says about 4500:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...s-19000-arena/

And ticket costs will definitely have an impact on sales. But any good or popular or high production arena act won't be cheap- Tension pricing was pretty average after I started to look at what other bands were charging.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    In terms of "sellouts" for a particular show, the overall seating capacity of a venue is generally based on a sports configuration and not various stage setups. The promoters seem to list the number of available tickets as a criteria for a "sellout," but they will often black out upper tiers or sections to decrease supply until they're close to selling out the show. Then, they'll open up sections if there's still demand for tickets.

Here's a great example from that Billboard 2005 magazine: Paul McCartney & NIN both played at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The stage config for NIN had 9,500 seats available and they sold 8,819. The stage configuration for PMC had 16,515 seats available and they sold all of them (ranging in price from $250 down to $49).

Last edited by FULLMETAL; 06-20-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Proof that Toronto sells out every fucking time, but do they get a 2-show run? Or even a second show close by? :|