Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMX (Dark Man X)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

DMX (Dark Man X)

I was just curious if there was any crossover of Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, and DMX fans that post here. I also remember hearing a lot more about him back in 1998-2000. (And with the Jay-Z and Kanye West threads being up, I felt compelled to make a DMX thread.)

The last album of his that I've actually listened to was The Great Depression. I also wondered what happened to him, and noticed that his latest album, Undisputed, came out last year.

http://www.dmxworld.com/

https://twitter.com/DMX

http://www.youtube.com/dmx
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

This is my favorite thing DMX has ever been a part of.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I love me some DMX, and Make A Move is definitely my 'get dat paper' song...trust me, you're gettin' ready to go out for a night drinking, nothing gets you riled up like this:

As for what he's doing now, still doin' shows...all I've heard as of late is that he ran through a hotel naked (on a dare...of course) and was on Dr. Phil last month talking about how he's in mad debt from having 12 kids lol. It's on YouTube, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Haha DMX, i can never keep track of this guy since he's in and out of prison so much......

I loved when he showed up on the Busta Rhymes TOUCH IT remix.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually still thought that this was sort of funny. He kind of has a point about the name Google though.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Best. Thread. Ever.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Dude is completely fried lol

On a serious note though, it's really sad what's happened to the guy....i hate to bring the focus away from the music which is really the only good thing to remember about him but i watched some show he was on called Fix My Life or something and he's trying to reconnect with his son but i guess it didn't go so well because the son told him you either get clean or i want nothing to do with you and then there was another segment where DMX is being interviewed and they told him you know... your ex-wife, your kids, your friends... they've all said they're just waiting for the call that you've turned up dead...i can't believe after all of this that he's still not getting any help, i mean it's one thing to have your pride and not let people change you but it's another thing when you're mentally sick and you just can't make rational choices for yourself anymore.

It's easy to judge looking in from the outside though and obviously i don't know the guy personally so who knows what the deal is with him and i really shouldn't be concerned with his personal affairs, but sometimes it's hard not to make a few observations here and there especially when someone's life has been made so public like his has and honestly damn my curiosity sometimes.

Enough of that though... to remember him for what he does/did best... can't forget a classic like this.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It seems like he's trying to make amends and step into the right direction. It's also nice to see that he's able to have a sense of humor about himself too. I also thought I'd never ever see DMX go on Dr. Phil.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    He definitely fell off a while ago.. personally and musically. Such a shame because I used to really like his music, but after "The Great Depression".. quality fell drastically for me. The first three albums were gold though... man, nostalgia

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Yeah as far as solid efforts the latter half of his discog has def been lacking but Grand Champ and Year of the Dog.. Again both still had a handful of bangin' stuff... X Gon' Give It to Ya, Where the Hood At?, Get it On the Floor, Bring the Noize, The Rain, We In Here, Come Thru (Move), Give 'em What They Want, Lord Give Me a Sign

Loved those tracks.

Haven't heard anything off of Undisputed save for I Don't Dance and that wasn't anything to write home about at all but i don't think there'll ever be anything truly groundbreaking to come from him again at least he still has some kind of energy in his music..... the aggression and off the walls attitude is tenfold obviously on behalf of the drugs and just how fucked up he is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Stop! Drop! Shut 'em down open up shop! I used to crank these CDs back in the late 90s. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ruff Ryders Anthem will always be a great tune.

I used to listen to Flesh of My Flesh a lot back in whatever year it came out.... 98?

You people remember him in Belly?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Never saw Belly but did see him in Romeo Must Die, Exit Wounds and Cradle 2 the Grave.

He actually wasn't that bad of an actor either, better than 50 Cent anyways...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard DMX likes to streak in hotel rooms naked. I miss that guy. He was fun. And yes, he is a better actor than 50. Hell, I think he should comeback and destroy 50, Ja Rule, and Kanye.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    http://np.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/c...003_hit_where/

There's a discussion thread on reddit i found that was started a month back and i started to wonder about this recently myself based on just how the homophobic lyrics in question from "Where the Hood At?" seemed to have gone completely unnoticed as far as media attention considering how popular and how much of a hit the song was back then:

"Man, cats don't know what it's gonna be

Fuckin with a nigga like me, D-to-the-M-to-the-X

Last I heard, y'all niggas was havin sex, with the same sex

I show no love, to homo thugs

Empty out, reloaded and throw more slugs

How you gonna explain fucking a man?

Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touching ya hand

I don't bunk with chumps, for those who been to jail

That's the cat with the Kool-Aid on his lips and pumps

I don't fuck with niggas that think they broads

Only know how to be one way, that's the dog"

After thinking about it though and reading a lot of the comments, this song was released a decade ago and American culture especially was very different, the gay community wasn't as highly embraced and accepted as it is today and it certainly wasn't a matter on the front lines of important issues back then considering the overshadowing focus on the war in the middle east after 9/11. Also taking in to account that social media wasn't the viral machine that it is now so these kind of topics wouldn't have been brought to mainstream attention.

What I'm curious about, are there any gay fans of DMX that would take this seriously or would be offended from hearing lyrics like these despite reflection of the time from which it came from, is there even any excuse to just pay it no mind and enjoy the music for what it is?

Personally I'm not gay but I've always felt a bit dirty any time i listened to the song because i do enjoy it and i don't condone homophobia at all.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-24-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    People forget DMX had the three fastest-selling consecutive LPs of all time, released within about two years. He was the Jay-Z of the late 9o's. World-champ. Wish he'd held on to that 'cause Jay-Z is shit. DMX is definitely a more compelling dude.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think I heard recently that he has new material coming out or already out.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It seems like every other week there's a news story about DMX getting arrested lol

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.26116/title.dmx-arrested-for-driving-without-license-cancels-television-appearance

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Damn, that's crazy, yet at the same time, not a surprise at all. He seemed to have that desire to avoiding getting into the kind of trouble again on Dr. Phil, but at least he didn't deny his struggle in returning to the same problems and repeating the same mistakes, which could obviously go to show why it keeps happening again and again.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    DMX to Fight George Zimmerman in Boxing Match

Happening March 1

http://pitchfork.com/news/53846-dmx-...-boxing-match/

Here's your random WTF moment for today.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    This sounds like an awful awful idea. As if this case hadn't mocked justice enough.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So incredibly fucked...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "My Niggaz" is an appropriate soundtrack for pretty much everything.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    DMX to Fight George Zimmerman in Boxing Match

Happening March 1

http://pitchfork.com/news/53846-dmx-...-boxing-match/

Here's your random WTF moment for today.
    Let's see how Zimmerman reacts when he learns he can't bring gun this time...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    You would think Zimmerman wouldn't agree to something like this if he wanted his defense on the killing of Trayvon to have any credence whatsoever.... (Not that any normal person believes his bullshit defense to start with...)

What a fucking joke....

It absolutely stinks of hypocrisy, you go and bandy about saying ohhh but i had to kill this kid with a firearm because i was getting punched in the head too many times and then you go and agree to a boxing match with another black person? you'd have to be fucking mental....and as far as I'm concerned all this tells me is the guy likes getting in to fights to begin with....

Oh but poor Zimmerman right?... give me break.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dont worry, Im sure x gon' give it to him

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Everybody involved with this is a joke.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

LOL this fucking guy.