Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Failure

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Failure

I searched and only found Autolux/Ken Andrews threads.

https://www.facebook.com/Failureband

If that's what it is I for one am very interested.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Considering how much talk of Failure there was in the Ken Andrews/DNA thread, I feel like this should go over there. But yeah, I damn near dropped my iPod when I read that on Facebook.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Holy shit!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow.

I'm thinking they're planning a 2014 tour, but things are still vague enough that we can reasonably speculate about a new single or (dare I say it) a new album. Even if there is no new music, a small tour could be enough to get them inspired again (see: Soundgarden). The possibility of a reunion has been in the back of my mind ever since I realized Ken and Greg were friendly again, i.e. them spending time with each other's families now that they're both married with kids.

Can't wait to see where this goes...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Ken posted on the Failure page -

Trust me, it's quite real.
    Eeeeeee! Time to re-load every piece of Failure I have onto my iPod and listen to it until we get more concrete news.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

FAILURE - reunion in 2014?

Oh, hell yes!!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I am going to be angry if they only play Cali shows. Don't piss me off Greg. Get on a plane..

It's unlikely that Troy will be involved.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've waited for this since 1997. Cant.fucking.believe.it.is.happening. I'm sure Kelli will be on board, don't think he's up to much. As far as Troy goes, eh, hate to say it but he's replaceable in this context, though if they were doing a new record it would be interesting to see what he might bring to the table. A tour obviously would be preferred, but even if they just do a handful of shows in Cali, my best friend and I made a pact that if this ever happened we would fly to L.A. for it. Time to start saving some green I reckon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fuck yes!!!!! I've been dreaming of this since I got into them a couple years ago. I even met Troy over the Summer and asked him when the reunion was and he was like I don't know you tell me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    I am going to be angry if they only play Cali shows. Don't piss me off Greg. Get on a plane..

It's unlikely that Troy will be involved.

Troy listed in the Band Member section of the FB page, let the speculation ensue
    Members Ken Andrews, Greg Edwards, Kellii Scott & Troy Van Leeuwen

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^If that had been up there for a while, I'd think nothing of it. Considering it was just done in the last 24 hours...Oh, shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Way too early to speculate on new material, but I'm really interested if they're working on anything new. Their creative peak seemed to really thrive from the tension in the band and the drug problems going on, it would be interesting to see what kind of themes they would explore now, middle aged and sober with families and whatnot.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Way too early to speculate on new material, but I'm really interested if they're working on anything new. Their creative peak seemed to really thrive from the tension in the band and the drug problems going on, it would be interesting to see what kind of themes they would explore now, middle aged and sober with families and whatnot.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm leaning less toward wanting more new material (primarily for that reason - I don't doubt they could work something up if they really wanted to, though) and more toward wanting to see them going on tour again, even if it's just a handful of club shows. I'd be on the first train out to the closest show, even if it's in LA.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's crazy to think what Ken & Greg would create together now. I think there's definitely some truth to the turmoil of recording Fantastic Planet that led to some of its greatness.

That said, Ken has consistently rocked my world with every one of the releases he's been involved with: Failure, Replicants, ON, Year of the Rabbit, Ken Andrews solo, Digital Noise Academy, Blinker The Star, Charlotte Martin, etc. As for Greg, he almost makes up for his and Autolux's slow pace with the quality of both their records (I adore their self-titled and Transit Transit). Point being, I know they still have the potential to make some incredible tunes. Would be really interesting to hear Ken sing some new lyrics by Greg, too...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I thought I remember awhile back wasn't Greg contributing to one of the DNA songs? I don't think anything from that was ever heard. Maybe that was the start of the Failure rebirth?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Magnified" is brilliant. Had no idea it was coming out on vinyl! Thanks for the heads-up!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure on Facebook
    It's true, Failure has reunited and will play their first show in 15 years on Feb. 13 at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles (tickets are on-sale on Thursday, Nov. 7 at 10 am. The first 250 ticket purchasers at Amoeba Music, Origami Vinyl and Ax.com will receive a limited edition 7-inch featuring two rarities. Ken recently spoke with SPIN about all things Failure: http://www.spin.com/articles/failure...tastic-planet/
    Basically, things are good with Ken and Greg, they wanna see where this reunion takes them, they've thought about doing Fantastic Planet from start to finish someday, and they have a handful of little recordings to show that "they still have something to say."

Ugh. I WANNA BUY TICKETS. I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I have no shortage of people offering me places to crash in L.A., but I'm on tour from New Years through the end of April.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm there!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Argghhhh great but frustrating news today. I'm gonna have to wait for the inevitable tour. Even a one-night trip to Cali for the show from here is gonna set me back at least 600 bones, not feasible. My buddy and I thought we could road trip it to save on the money end, but doing that we'd be gone for at least 5 or 6 days, also not feasible. I wonder what songs the bonus 7" will have on it for the first 250 ticket buyers?

A new record would be insane and make my life because I never thought it was ever possible. If they kept going and continued in the direction they were indicating on the Enjoy the Silence cover (Fantastic Planet kind of production with a little more going on electronically)........wow. Hopefully Kelli kept that same kit and I'm sure Greg still has the silver Wal laying around to break out again. Glad they feel they still have something to say, that's a good indicator of new stuff to come out. The only thing that kind of could suck is I think Autolux is finishing a new record at the moment, so that might put new Failure stuff on hold for Greg. I love Autolux and all, but anything related to Failure definitely is much more preferred!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, if they tour Fantastic Planet front to back there is nothing in this world that could stop me from getting to one of those shows. I've never traveled more than a few hours to get to a concert but I'll fly to fucking LA to see this if I have to.

I mean really. HOLY FUCK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well... might be visiting L.A. for the first time in my life!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Well... might be visiting L.A. for the first time in my life!
    That's kinda where I'm at right now on this thing. I've always wanted to go, but I feel like if I don't get tickets right away, I won't be able to. That'd give me three months to plan. Blaaah, but that's such a huge commitment. First world problems, damn you!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm assuming they mean the first 250 people altogether who buy tickets from those sites will get the 7".

The capacity at the El Rey is really not that large. According to teh interwebs the place only holds 771 people... I actually thought it was smaller than that. Regardless, this show is going to sell out in less than a second so don't book your travel plans just yet.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Oh yeah. If I can't get tickets right away, I won't bother with it. But if I CAN get tickets, I have a little while to iron out details.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Woo Hoo!!!!

See ya all in February!!!!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Apparently there's a little hot water over the recently-issued "Magnified" vinyl - which I apparently mistakenly purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrews on Facebook
    If you want to own a copy of our Magnified album on Vinyl, then you'll have to wait until someone actually releases it. The recent release by ORG music, claiming to be our album Magnified, is not. The people over at ORG Music, or perhaps the people at Rhino, (the catalog arm of Warner Bros) decided that they didn't need to check with the band before pressing, and actually left off a very important piece of the album. There is a Segue that comes right after the title track, that was left off. We are not talking about a disagreement in the quality of the mastering, or the type of Vinyl used. They actually left off content. Granted it was a Segue of roughly a minute and half in length, but to us, it is a very critical piece that is important to the flow of the album. Anyone who really knows the band's material, would know that Segues are one of our hallmarks. The one they left off is a particularly significant one that is a clear precursor to what we ultimately did with Segues on Fantastic Planet.

How this happened is anybody's guess, as the people we have spoken with so far are already pointing fingers at each other with no one willing to accept responsibility. It has nothing to do with the time restrictions of Vinyl, as there is clearly plenty of room at the end of Side A for the 1:40 Segue. This appears to be a simple case of negligence.

It is very easy for a label to get in touch with us, but even if one can't be bothered to spend the time and effort to contact the creators, and have them approve a new master before release, how hard is it to actually check the Vinyl Master against the CD or Digital version of the album, which are readily available, and as we intended, before you press up and release a 12"?

So, for the people who already bought this impostor, we're sorry you were duped. If your a collector type, maybe you'll be into this sort of thing. And for people who are thinking about buying it, we recommend that you not. At least not until they decide to put out the actual album we made.

-Ken Andrews

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I saw a copy of this at a store the other day... not sure if I should be glad I didn't buy a shitty pressing, or upset I didn't buy a pressing that will surely be sought after by collectors.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    I saw a copy of this at a store the other day... not sure if I should be glad I didn't buy a shitty pressing, or upset I didn't buy a pressing that will surely be sought after by collectors.
    The changes are noticeable, but...I mean, it's not like the record becomes some kind of horrible abomination to music. I'll probably still listen to it from time to time, but I'll probably just wait until a legitimate copy gets issued, then just see if this one's worth anything by then. If nothing else, I could probably make my $20 back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hoping the Fantastic Planet album shows do happen someday, because that would be an experience to say the least. I won't be making it to the LA shows so I'm hoping there's a bigger tour at some point but I'm just glad they reunited because I got into them so late that I thought they were a band I'd never get the chance to see. It'd be amazing to get new material from them now and see what they'd come up with after over 16 years, but at the same time I'm just as satisfied with them touring.