54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Thanks, purchased.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i LOVE it!!

it's kinda odd. because i feel like it has some elements of old, and bits of their respective post '97 projects in it. It's still their natural growth as artists.

man it's so beautiful...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sweet song with great ambiance, very promising, some hints of the past but also a fresh twist on what the record could be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Very awesome song, but unexpected! Pretty much in line with what dvdglss said. Almost reminds me of a direct collision of old Autolux and Year of The Rabbit. My only gripe about it, and this is just a slight gripe, is that the production sounded a little too slick-sounding on the first couple listens. I'm sure it'll make sense to my ears in time.

Actually reminded me of the first time I heard The Fragile on its release day, when I knew what I was hearing was awesome, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it right away because it sounded so different than Downward Spiral.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    WELP. Looks like I'm officially going to the Chicago show now. What a fucking KILLER band to break my concert-going dry spell since NIN last fall. Anybody else gonna be there?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The chemistry's still there! Great new track. As for the production. A lot of time has passed. Technology's changed, and Andrews has been very active in production throughout the years. So, of course, that experience is going to carry over. Glad they're back.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So, don't shoot me, but I've never listened to Failure before... What album should I start with?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    So, don't shoot me, but I've never listened to Failure before... What album should I start with?
    Failure were a band that imo got better with each record, but it depends on your tastes. All three albums sound pretty different from one another. Most likely, start with Fantastic Planet. Released in 1996. It's their swansong. The majority of fans will tell you its their favorite Failure album for any number of reasons. It has their best song writing, artistic vision, diversity, production, etc. I could honestly write a book on why it's my fav. album ever.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who lives and breathes Touch and Go Records type stuff, Comfort would be a good start. It was their first album. Steve Albini produced it. Came out in 1992. You can tell they were still trying to find their sound on this one. It's pretty raw sounding and their definitely their noisiest album. For the most part the songs are pretty killer, though.

Magnified came out in 1994. The production is a little more polished and the songs are quite a bit catchier.

Overall:

Fantastic Planet 10/10
    Magnified 8-9/10
    Comfort 7/10

my top ten favorite songs:

Another Space Song
    Heliotropic
    Saturday Saviour
    Pillowhead
    Frogs
    Undone
    Macaque
    Nurse Who Loved Me
    Bernie
    Blank

Also check out their b-sides collection called Golden. That contains outtakes from the entire career of the band. And also many of the bands they were working with in the 90s are awesome also: Replicants, Lusk, Blinker The Star, Self, Molly McGuire, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    Definitely Fantastic Planet

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Failure were a band that imo got better with each record, but it depends on your tastes. All three albums sound pretty different from one another. Most likely, start with Fantastic Planet. Released in 1996. It's their swansong. The majority of fans will tell you its their favorite Failure album for any number of reasons. It has their best song writing, artistic vision, diversity, production, etc. I could honestly write a book on why it's my fav. album ever.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who lives and breathes Touch and Go Records type stuff, Comfort would be a good start. It was their first album. Steve Albini produced it. Came out in 1992. You can tell they were still trying to find their sound on this one. It's pretty raw sounding and their definitely their noisiest album. For the most part the songs are pretty killer, though.

Magnified came out in 1994. The production is a little more polished and the songs are quite a bit catchier.

Overall:

Fantastic Planet 10/10
    Magnified 8-9/10
    Comfort 7/10

my top ten favorite songs:

Another Space Song
    Heliotropic
    Saturday Saviour
    Pillowhead
    Frogs
    Undone
    Macaque
    Nurse Who Loved Me
    Bernie
    Blank

Also check out their b-sides collection called Golden. That contains outtakes from the entire career of the band. And also many of the bands they were working with in the 90s are awesome also: Replicants, Lusk, Blinker The Star, Self, Molly McGuire, etc.
    Awesome! You've just made me way more excited to check that album out... Think I'll start with Fantastic Planet and then go through your top 10 fav songs.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm going to one of the shows.

Not "I need to go" or "I want to go". I actually have a ticket.

To see Failure. Live.

Well, scratch one band off the lists of artists I grew up loving and thought I would never have a chance to see.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

To see Failure. Live.

Well, scratch one band off the lists of artists I grew up loving and thought I would never have a chance to see.
    This. It's a crazy feeling. Never thought the day would come. 5 more days until dreams come true!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    FYI, they dropped another new song last night in SF, called the focus. Looks like the songwriting is going well

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wish I could go to the Milwaukee and Chicago shows, but I'm committed to going out to Sasquatch in WA those days. How do I go back in time 6 months and tell my friends that I'd rather stay home and get rocked by Failure instead?

If I'm lucky though, I might get to see them in MN the night before flying out.

I really shouldn't be complaining, since I got to see them perform both nights at Cinquanta. So so good (was anyone else there?). Would love to be able to see them play a full set as a headliner, though!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    A fan tagged Ken Andrews on facebook for a photo of the tour's merch booth, and so it showed up on my feed: looks like there's a serious selection. I want it all!

Also, while we're talking about our fav Failure songs, I have to give a shout to "Pro-Catastrophe" (especially the 7" version on Essentials) and "Something." I echo the sentiment to start with Fantastic Planet, but don't be surprised if you eventually start asking yourself if Magnified is really your favorite album

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    A fan tagged Ken Andrews on facebook for a photo of the tour's merch booth, and so it showed up on my feed: looks like there's a serious selection. I want it all!

Also, while we're talking about our fav Failure songs, I have to give a shout to "Pro-Catastrophe" (especially the 7" version on Essentials) and "Something." I echo the sentiment to start with Fantastic Planet, but don't be surprised if you eventually start asking yourself if Magnified is really your favorite album
    I saw this photo too! Wish he could've gotten some of the other shirts in the shot. Looks like I'll need to bring at least $100 for merch alone, damn! Can anyone make out what the collector's bundle offer in the top corner is and the cost?

Still loving "Come Crashing" after about 25 listens since yesterday. Does anyone know anything about "The Focus" from last night? I wouldn't mind waiting til the show next week to hopefully hear it for the first time, but also wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about it, what it sounds like, etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm going to see them in a couple weeks. That merch photo just made my wallet very unhappy. Hopefully the posters are just as good looking as the signed litho, so I can talk myself out of buying it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm noticing that "Collector's Special" option in blue text in the upper-right corner - Curious to see what that's all about, seeing as I'm gladly willing to throw money at almost anything in that picture. AND they'll have Golden and the Essentials CD/DVD. I wonder if there'll be any sort of vinyl available, like that Solaris 2014 7"? You never know. I suspect that not eeeverything in the booth is pictured/listed on the board.

Either way, I'm glad my wallet's nice and hefty for a change.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I'm noticing that "Collector's Special" option in blue text in the upper-right corner - Curious to see what that's all about, seeing as I'm gladly willing to throw money at almost anything in that picture. AND they'll have Golden and the Essentials CD/DVD. I wonder if there'll be any sort of vinyl available, like that Solaris 2014 7"? You never know. I suspect that not eeeverything in the booth is pictured/listed on the board.

Either way, I'm glad my wallet's nice and hefty for a change.

It looks like it says you get a choice of litho, choice of shirt, and that you get everything signed, maybe? I can't read anything else on it. Wish I had some software to remedy that

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wait, is the Tree of Stars EP vinyl or a CD?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    Wait, is the Tree of Stars EP vinyl or a CD?
    Cd only, $10 too. Quite pricey for just 1 new song...
    There was no vinyls for sale.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Liking the new song, pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

To see Failure. Live.

I really wish they'd come somewhere within 500 miles of me, so I can witness this. And to whoever said we need a HUM reunion, yes yes fucking yes.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    Liking the new song, pretty good.

I really wish they'd come somewhere within 500 miles of me, so I can witness this. And to whoever said we need a HUM reunion, yes yes fucking yes.
    I'm travelling 800 miles round trip. What's your excuse? (Just teasing...I'm not doing that just for the concert.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New interview with Ken, some good info here:

http://chicagoist.com/2014/05/19/int...s_failures.php

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    FYI, they dropped another new song last night in SF, called the focus. Looks like the songwriting is going well
    The song is on a bootleg, on dimeadozen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Show last night in Minneapolis was kick ass amazing, hands down best concert in my whole life. Great venue, great crowd, and the band was in great spirits! We didn't get to hear "the focus" but they did play "Bernie" during the encore! I'm pretty sure it was the first time its been played since the reformation. They were tight as hell, I'm still reeling.

On a side note, the merch section was pretty depleted of men's shirts. Not sure if they've sold out of them already, all they had was the brown tree of stars shirt. I picked up that, a shirt for the wife, the new EP, one of the $5 tour posters and the $100 signed spaceman lithograph. They also had the golden dvd/cd, the essentials 2 cd, a tote bag, and 2 or 3 other women's shirts. All in all an amazing night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone need boston tickets? i have 3 i need to get rid of asap. paid $99, would be great to get $50 for 2, or $65 for all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Great interview, thanks for the link!