Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Failure

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Double post for show update! Band was great, the stage setup was pretty minimal (standard overhead lighting setup with three LED screens behind each of the members), and the crowd was pretty receptive to all the new material! Band introductions toward the end - Greg noticed a kid's shirt in the front row (couldn't see it, but I'm guessing it was an Autolux shirt or something), then came up to the front of the stage to hand him one of his picks directly. The opening band, Sundiver, wasn't bad either! But anyway, here's the setlist! No "Come Crashing" of "The Focus."

(Segue 4 intro over speakers)
    Hot Traveler
    AM Amnesia
    Another Space Song
    Frogs
    Saturday Savior
    Sergeant Politeness
    Segue 1
    Smoking Umbrellas
    Magnified
    Atom City Queen
    Counterfeit Sky
    Otherwhere
    Mulholland Drive
    Macaque
    Pillowhead
    The Nurse Who Loved Me
    ---
    Stuck On You
    Heliotropic
    Daylight

As a sidenote - I prefer the new version of "The Focus" in the context of the album, but the original version is better as a standalone track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Vinyl just arrived from Amazon. No download card. WTF! Am I missing something here? What does it look like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Double post for show update! Band was great, the stage setup was pretty minimal (standard overhead lighting setup with three LED screens behind each of the members), and the crowd was pretty receptive to all the new material! Band introductions toward the end - Greg noticed a kid's shirt in the front row (couldn't see it, but I'm guessing it was an Autolux shirt or something), then came up to the front of the stage to hand him one of his picks directly. The opening band, Sundiver, wasn't bad either! But anyway, here's the setlist! No "Come Crashing" of "The Focus."

(Segue 4 intro over speakers)
    Hot Traveler
    AM Amnesia
    Another Space Song
    Frogs
    Saturday Savior
    Sergeant Politeness
    Segue 1
    Smoking Umbrellas
    Magnified
    Atom City Queen
    Counterfeit Sky
    Otherwhere
    Mulholland Drive
    Macaque
    Pillowhead
    The Nurse Who Loved Me
    ---
    Stuck On You
    Heliotropic
    Daylight

As a sidenote - I prefer the new version of "The Focus" in the context of the album, but the original version is better as a standalone track.
    Such a great setlist!

I actually didn't like the old version of The Focus that much so I'm very happy they changed it. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album now, and the only one (except Hot Traveler) where the segue goes directly into the song, and that really enhanced it as well.

Regarding the album, I'm thinking this might be my favorite album in quite a lot of years. Maybe even since 10,000 Days. I haven't listened to something this much outside my usual favorites (NIN, Tool, QOTSA) in a very long time. Favorite song right now is probably Atom City Queen. Those verses...!
    Last edited by Emil Dorbell; 07-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was at the show in Lawrence too! Standing right near the front. My date managed to snag two picks somehow and gave me one. Pretty stoked about that- I never thought I'd get to see them live and I drove all the way from Colorado for it! The band sounded so good. The crowd was great and, as you said, very receptive to the new stuff. Another Space Song, Frogs, Smoking Umbrellas, and The Nurse Who Loved me were dreams come true. Atom City Queen was my favorite of the new stuff. Really would have liked to hear Petting the Carpet and Dirty Blue Balloons as well, but.. hey. Still the best show I've been to at least since the Tension tour.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    I was at the show in Lawrence too! Standing right near the front. My date managed to snag two picks somehow and gave me one. Pretty stoked about that- I never thought I'd get to see them live and I drove all the way from Colorado for it! The band sounded so good. The crowd was great and, as you said, very receptive to the new stuff. Another Space Song, Frogs, Smoking Umbrellas, and The Nurse Who Loved me were dreams come true. Atom City Queen was my favorite of the new stuff. Really would have liked to hear Petting the Carpet and Dirty Blue Balloons as well, but.. hey. Still the best show I've been to at least since the Tension tour.
    I was really hoping for Dirty Blue Balloons, too! :\ But hey, they can't play everything. Hopefully, this ball keeps rolling, and we can see them tour again someday. We might've been pretty close, or even talked and had no idea. I was right behind the front row, between the side speakers and center stage, bald, black Puscifer shirt. I didn't even get there until like, two songs into Sundiver's set, and it was HELLA easy to get up in front. Kansas people are very skiddish when it comes to personal space, heh. Makes for a lot of gaps to squeeze into!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was really hoping for Dirty Blue Balloons, too! :\ But hey, they can't play everything. Hopefully, this ball keeps rolling, and we can see them tour again someday. We might've been pretty close, or even talked and had no idea. I was right behind the front row, between the side speakers and center stage, bald, black Puscifer shirt. I didn't even get there until like, two songs into Sundiver's set, and it was HELLA easy to get up in front. Kansas people are very skiddish when it comes to personal space, heh. Makes for a lot of gaps to squeeze into!
    Yeah, for sure! That's the sign of a great band/show, when you leave wanting even more, right? I definitely hope they keep going, I'd see them every time they came through. I don't believe we talked! I did talk to a bald dude, but he was also from Colorado and I think I probably would have remembered a Puscifer shirt. I think you showed up about the same time we did. We started out back by the merch throughout Sundiver's set and then moved up during the set change. We pushed up so easily it didn't even feel rude. Skiddish Kansans indeed. I'm actually moving to the area for school this August, very excited to see that Kansas is pretty much on par with Denver for shows. Already planning to see Helmet in the fall.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah these guys are fucking awesome live.

I'm just gonna copy this from my last.fm account:

So needless to say, Failure are an incredible live band who manage to get their meticulous studio sound across in the live setting without even flinching or bothering to rehire Troy Van Leeuwen's ass to play some of the guitar.

I got there probably halfway through Wes Borland's new band's set. They were better live than the fucking terrible song I heard online, although when your former frontmen are Fred Durst and Skrillex the bar was set in the dirt. Chick did the weird flaily thing while screaming a lot and the guy who isn't Twiggy who played bass for Marilyn Manson is in this band.

Failure went on and did a whole hell of a lot of the new album right off the bat. I haven't actually seen any Youtube footage of these new songs live other than that music video for Hot Traveler, so yeah these new songs sound as great live as they do on the actual album. Then they did some Fantastic Planet stuff (Another Space Song, Sergeant Politeness, Segue 1, Smoking Umbrellas, Pillowhead, weirdly enough NOT Saturday Savior which they didn't even do). A couple even older songs like Frogs and Magnified, then more new stuff and Fantastic Planet for the rest of the night. Eventually they did The Nurse Who Loved Me as the last song from their normal set, then did the last songs on Fantastic Planet in order for the encore. Stuck On You, Heliotropic and Daylight are as awesome live as they are on the record, extra noises and ambient effects included.

And for being pretty old now and having been out of the game for so long until 2014, Failure sound great. Ken and Greg still harmonize on the choruses and Ken can belt it out like in the 1997 live footage I've watched way too many times still. This footage ( ). One thing that Failure does live that I haven't really seen another band do is that Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards trade playing guitar and bass back and forth for the whole set. That's an interesting dynamic, but they're both great as bassists and guitarists anyway.

Then I went outside and met Wes Borland because that ginger rapper guy who's obsessed with Limp Bizkit came with me to this, and spent most of Failure's set talking to Wes Borland and that former Marilyn Manson member dude.
    So yeah great show.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    They announced MORE tour dates, for August. I'll check back in a minute and post them if no one else does before then, but I reeeeally feel like I HAVE to hit the Colorado or Nebraska shows.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-07-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Typing on a phone screen sucks boner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Try announced MORE tour dates, for August. I'll check back in a minute and post them if no one else does before then, but I reeeeally feel like I HAVE to hit the Colorado or Nebraska shows.
    New Tour Dates Just Announced:
    Aug 19 - Detroit, MI - Saint Andrew's Hall
    Aug 23 - Lincoln, NE - The Bourbon Theater
    Aug 25 - Denver, CO - The Summit
    Aug 26 - Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue
    Aug 28 - Seattle, WA - Showbox
    Aug 29 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
    Aug 31 - San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Pro shot:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I saw Failure the other night in Westbury, NY. It was a pretty depressing area/town, but the venue was cool (converted movie-theatre). Queen Kwong was pretty surprising actually. Not sure how Wes learned how to play space-rock, but he had some really nice moments. Definitely a different style than Black Light Burns and that other band he was in. Their singer is super hot and kind of reminds me of a mix between Grace Slick/Nina Gordon. There was definitely some drama at the end of the set though. Wes threw his guitar down and then started taking the drum kit apart. I don't think the final song was done yet. The singer (who is his girlfriend as well) had been jumping all over him during a solo. And he was pissed. Kind of weird considering that there were like 17 people in the venue. It felt like intruding on personal infighting.

As for Failure, the new stuff sounded great. Ken had some issues with his new guitar (aluminum "Electric Guitar Company" beauty), especially during Sgt. Politeness. Some of the older songs missed the mark a bit for me; and overall, the band was much tighter last summer. When I saw them at the Stone Pony, songs like Pillowhead and Wet Gravity gave me goosebumps from head to toe. So the sound and energy wasn't as strong this time. And there was no Solaris or Bernie (personal favs).

Still a great night. But I can't help but wondering if Ken/Greg were disheartened to see less than 100 total people at a New York area show (less than a month after a new album was released).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    I saw Failure the other night in Westbury, NY. It was a pretty depressing area/town, but the venue was cool (converted movie-theatre). Queen Kwong was pretty surprising actually. Not sure how Wes learned how to play space-rock, but he had some really nice moments. Definitely a different style than Black Light Burns and that other band he was in. Their singer is super hot and kind of reminds me of a mix between Grace Slick/Nina Gordon. There was definitely some drama at the end of the set though. Wes threw his guitar down and then started taking the drum kit apart. I don't think the final song was done yet. The singer (who is his girlfriend as well) had been jumping all over him during a solo. And he was pissed. Kind of weird considering that there were like 17 people in the venue. It felt like intruding on personal infighting.

As for Failure, the new stuff sounded great. Ken had some issues with his new guitar (aluminum "Electric Guitar Company" beauty), especially during Sgt. Politeness. Some of the older songs missed the mark a bit for me; and overall, the band was much tighter last summer. When I saw them at the Stone Pony, songs like Pillowhead and Wet Gravity gave me goosebumps from head to toe. So the sound and energy wasn't as strong this time. And there was no Solaris or Bernie (personal favs).

Still a great night. But I can't help but wondering if Ken/Greg were disheartened to see less than 100 total people at a New York area show (less than a month after a new album was released).
    I was there too. I felt pretty bad that they had to play to such a small crowd (why they chose to play a venue in Long Island rather than NYC, I have no idea. But I'm glad they did because it was like 30 minutes from my house).

As for Queen Kwong, I noticed the same thing, and thought Wes was pissed and rushing to get out of there because of the lame crowd, but he seemed to be in pretty good spirits later on that night as evidenced here:

Also saw Joe Letz from Combichrist standing in the crowd.
    Last edited by imail724; 07-20-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post

Wow so I was there in Westbury the other night and I was at the Stone Pony show last summer too. I kind of share the exact same thoughts when you compare the two shows. The small crowd was definitely a bummer and I kind of expected that, Failure and Long Island just don't go together (no offense to the couple Failure fans who showed up at the show). The room was too big and the magic that was in the air last year when I saw them just wasn't there on Saturday. Still a great night out and a pretty good show from them, just hope when I see them in Philly next month there is a better vibe in the room. Also, I got a setlist! After dozens of concerts the last couple years this is the first time I ever got one, I was bummed to see Segue 1 on the list and not played during the show though.

As for Queen Kwong I was definitely impressed, I didn't notice that was Wes Borland and I was shocked when I googled the band when I got home, it all made sense. I didn't make much of him tossing the cymbal at the end, I got a nice chuckle. All in all, it just sucks that Failure isn't popular enough to fill a mid-size venue. I bet if you would have taken this show and dropped it in the Bowery Ballroom things would've gone off a lot better.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Has anyone ripped this in session performance? The band sounds great!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02w1mm5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Has anyone ripped this in session performance? The band sounds great!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02w1mm5
    Check out this site http://www.darshun.com probably some more things of interest in there....

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Woo Hoo! Ilan Rubin's The New Regime is opening for Failure starting this month. Excited to see them both at Lee's Palace. The FEQ show in Quebec City was alright but the festival's outdoor PA buckled in the rain and kept cutting out, which sucked. I was also the only one singing along in a sea of Primus fans, haha. Hopefully the Toronto gig is one for my legder of brilliant shows!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    So has anyone been going to any of these shows? I'm going to the DC, NY and Philadelphia shows this week. SUPER fucking excited because I love Hum more than Failure, and I love love LOVE Failure. Nothing are great as well, so these should be some great live experiences

If anyone has gone to a previous show on the tour, what kind of merch are they offering? I know Hum has a special tour poster, but that's all I've been able to see via a Google search. Any dual-band tour shirts specially for this tour, or individual band shirts with tour dates? The internet would have shit itself by now if that (hilarious) troll/rumor of the Downward Is Heavenward repress being sold at the shows was indeed true
    I went to the Louisville show last Friday and it was excellent! They sound so good. The merch booth had a THIAM lithograph, THIAM vinyl and 3 shirts: Fantastic Planet guy on front w/ 97 tour dates on back, one w/ pills, and one w/ flowers which I think was for women. Shirts were $25, not sure about the other stuff.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Another deep podcast interview with Kellii Scott:

http://www.digmeoutpodcast.com/post/126419029571/thiam

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Has anyone who has gone to these shows spoken to the members of Hum about their future plans? I would think this would be a perfect time for them to make a new record.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    MAN, OH MAN.

Last night at Lee's Palace, myself and a friend who's also a sound engineer watched Failure & The New Regime from behind the sound and light/video consoles. What an education! Failure, with this incarnation of their show, are bringing an incredibly sophisticated and almost unparalleled stage experience for such a relatively tiny venue. I mean, there's just no comparison for a three-piece band in terms of musical excellence and polished production value they crammed on that itty bitty stage.

The New Regime certainly had the goods, too... obviously they are not at the same level of production yet, because they're just the opening act, but for someone relying on mediocre house sound and lighting, they fucking killed it; particularly Ilan Rubin, whom I had NO clue was such a great frontman/guitarist. I had heard his studio recordings, and of course had seen him play drums with NIN, but this was another level entirely. I felt like he was channeling Jimmy Page and Freddie Mercury rolled into one, quite honestly.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Failure show in Indy tonight is FREE, sponsored by a local Indy record store.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    The Failure show in Indy tonight is FREE, sponsored by a local Indy record store.
    Yeah, pretty cool of Indy CD & Vinyl to do that. Too bad I already bought a VIP ticket the day they went on sale. Oh well, at least I'll get a poster.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Hey all, never really heard of Failure. But my taping friend always talks them up. So I went and saw them last night in Detroit. A consolation that The New Regime was opening for them. TNR is pretty good live. Played a lot of stuff off the new album so I was disappointed in that regard as I like the first two albums a lot. Now to Failure... wow, they blew me away. I can't believe I had never heard of them until now. In all of my time going to concerts, I have never bought any music from a show before. But yesterday was my first time, as I bought Failure's new album. So that means a lot! Oh... and "The Nurse Who Loved Me" always thought that was an APC song!

I did tape the show. If anyone is interested, I'll keep this link up for a week... GONE
    Last edited by ninlive; 09-04-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Removed recordings from server.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    THANK YOU, Ryan @ninlive ! Awesome recording. You taped The New Regime's set too, I hope?

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    THANK YOU, Ryan @ninlive ! Awesome recording. You taped The New Regime's set too, I hope?
    I did. Check the post above and I'll have it done here pretty soon and available for download for a few days!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    Yeah, pretty cool of Indy CD & Vinyl to do that. Too bad I already bought a VIP ticket the day they went on sale. Oh well, at least I'll get a poster.
    How was it? I was at the Motley Crue/Alice Cooper show (which was incredible). Had to miss Failure unfortunately...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How was it? I was at the Motley Crue/Alice Cooper show (which was incredible). Had to miss Failure unfortunately...
    It was great! Well, the sound was kinda shit but I'm pretty sure it was because I was up against the rail. Almost got Ken's guitar pick, too. I did get to shake his hand though which was pretty cool.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    It was great! Well, the sound was kinda shit but I'm pretty sure it was because I was up against the rail. Almost got Ken's guitar pick, too. I did get to shake his hand though which was pretty cool.
    Was it busy? Indy needs more of these shows...it seems they usually just goto Cincinnati anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Was it busy? Indy needs more of these shows...it seems they usually just goto Cincinnati anymore.
    Yeah, it was a very good turnout! This was their first time ever playing a show in Indianapolis and I think they enjoyed themselves. During 'Another Space Song' he changed the lyrics to "I've got no Indy to wind down to wind down to." And later on during the show, after a loud applause, he mentioned how they'd have to come back again. I agree, I wish more bands would come to Indianapolis but we get overlooked a lot of times for bigger markets like Chicago.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Hey all, added The New Regime's opening set from the other night in Detroit too. See above.. I'll keep the links up for download until 9/5. Then they're gone.