Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    For me Riot Act was their last great album. After that it seems something just disappeared.
    I had that feeling too, then I got Lightning Bolt.

the album has exceeded my expectations. Everything from Eddie's vocals to the album artwork have impressed me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just can't get into Lightning Bolt at all. There are a few good songs on there but nothing I love, even Backspacer had a few that I fell in love with. Ah well, Pearl Jam have always been a live band for me rather than a studio one. As long as they're still great live then I'll stick around.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Having only listened to Ten previous to this album, I really enjoy Lightning Bolt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Been a week and I am still not bored of Lightning Bolt

PJ week on Fallon was awesome too!
    Last edited by LaneSax; 10-26-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just heard Lightning Bolt for the first time today. Really liked it, they sound fresher than they have for a while. Will give it a few more spins, certainly. (If you can spin an mp3 file that is).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    I just can't get into Lightning Bolt at all. There are a few good songs on there but nothing I love, even Backspacer had a few that I fell in love with. Ah well, Pearl Jam have always been a live band for me rather than a studio one. As long as they're still great live then I'll stick around.
    I personally liked the s/t album and Backspacer a lot more than the two that came before it. I can appreciate Binaural and Riot Act--they're fine pieces of music, but I just couldn't really get into them. I like Lighting Bolt, but it's not one of their better albums, IMO. It's kind of like a slicker Vitology.

The first five albums are my favorites and really the ones that I always go back to.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    so here's a nice little article revisioning the band's catalogue:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...properly-rated
    That's awesome. No Code is my favorite, right behind Ten.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What are the chances of Ticketmaster releasing more tickets for the Seattle show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    count me in as liking Lightning Bolt a lot more than i expected to..

i've never seen them live (just never worked out) but this album has convinced me i have to this time around...

and of course no midwest dates....

always hope for next year, i suppose...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    For fans who like Ten, make sure to buy the 2009 B'OB remix. It's a lot rawer than the original album and is the best thing that they've ever released, IMHO.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yield remains my favorite, still.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    for me, Vs. and No Code are my favorites, hard to choose between them.

I'd rank their albums as such.

= Vs.
    = No Code
    3. Riot Act
    4. Ten
    5. Lightning Bolt
    6. Yield
    7. Vitalogy
    8. Binaural
    9. Pearl Jam
    10. Backspacer

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    If we're "playing" the "raking game", here's mine:

1. VS
    2. No Code
    3. Ten
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Pearl Jam
    6. Riot Act
    7. Lightning Bolt
    8. Binaural
    9. Yield
    10. Backspacer
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-10-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: changes like the weather...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    10. Binaural
    9. Riot Act
    8. Lightning Bolt
    7. Backspacer
    6. Peal Jam
    5. Yield
    4. Vitalogy
    3. Vs.
    2. No Code
    1. Ten

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    where's the love for Riot Act? haha
    For me it was such an awesome era for Pearl Jam.

Great tour, great dvd L@TG and the band going back to releasing promo videos.
    It was the last album with good B-sides too.

But back to Lightning Bolt
    Based on this extended version of the EPK, looks like there will be videos for Lightning Bolt & Getaway

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    where's the love for Riot Act? haha
    For me it was such an awesome era for Pearl Jam.
    I really like it, obviously they have better albums, but i consider "Riot Act" one of their most mature and varied works with awesome tracks like: "Save you", "Ghost", "Thumbing my way", "Get Right", "Green Disease" and "1/2 Full", not all PJ recent work is essential but i do think that "Riot Act" is a great album...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the Seattle show? I'm staying there for the night and then going to this: http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/22108/p..._on_december_7

I'm planning to get the backpack, it looks really cool. Plus I need a new backpack.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As 2013 comes to its end, I think it's time to post the photo of the year. Although barely visible, in that stage there's Kim Thayil (of Soundgarden), Mark Arm and Steve Turner (of Mudhoney) and all of Pearl Jam playing MC5's Kick out the Jams, in other words, the perfect dream of a punk rock fan. Behind them are two big Mexican flags (and an Argentinian one). This homecoming show was the last date of their tour. I don't think it can get any better than this. The show was freaking awesome.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post but it's been a while. I've been listening to No Code a lot and I think it's my favorite Pearl Jam album. I don't know why I got too late into it, almost 20 years later! But I can relate a lot to it. With Nine Inch Nails, I like the music big time (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here), but at this stage in my life I cannot relate to The Fragile and previous albums, lyrics-wise. But with No Code...man, Smile, Off He Goes and specially Present Tense, I'm Open and Who You Are. These last three songs speak to me quite a bit, specially as I'm turning 30 this year. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, I think Pearl Jam made the perfect record for the act of growing up. And the Eastern sounding guitar and the crazy drumming pattern of Who You Are= pure genius.

With this being said, this morning I gave Lightning Bolt a spin while cleaning my bedroom and I thought it was amazing. No song I'd skip in that album, Swallowed Whole and Yellow Moon don't do that much to me (although I wouldn't skip them, they still make the album flow well). Infallible...AMAZING song. During the end of the year reviews, the guys at Alternative Nation wrote that Infallible could become one of the next PJ live staples/anthems and I did not think much of this at the time, but this morning, listening to the song real loud, I understood what they were saying. Great album.

So the only albums I still need to listen to are Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam and Backspacer. I read the last two pages of this thread to try to get a feel of which album I should get next and the opinion seems divided (although no one really mentioned Binaural, for the better or the worse). So between Riot Act, Pearl Jam, and Backspacer, which one should I get next?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    So the only albums I still need to listen to are Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam and Backspacer. I read the last two pages of this thread to try to get a feel of which album I should get next and the opinion seems divided (although no one really mentioned Binaural, for the better or the worse). So between Riot Act, Pearl Jam, and Backspacer, which one should I get next?
    I've never quite understood why Binaural doesn't get as much love. It's got quite a few solid tunes.

Personally, Riot Act is among my top 3 PJ albums. A lot of my favorite tracks are on there e.g. Thumbing My Way, You Are, Love Boat Captain, Green Disease..

S/T is probably my least favorite, although Unemployable is a ridiculously cool song. I have yet to give Backspacer a proper listen.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    "No Code" is my favorite along with VS, i've been listening to it a lot lately, don't know why
    I would get "Binaural", since it's more "similar" on style to "No Code", but i like "Riot Act" a little better, still any of those two albums is a good buy...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Riot Act and Binaural should be your next listens. They both sound amazing with good headphones (Binaural using the binaural recording technique on some of the songs really shines).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Go with Riot Act! I feel it's an easy album to digest as well.

I introduced Riot Act to people who had lost interest in PJ, and the album made them fans again.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Never heard this before, sounds great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    been a fan for 25 years now and for some reason have never made a show, well that streak ends on october 3! just got tickets to my first pearl jam tour, the show was a little high priced especially since i had to get mezzanine level, but i dont care i know its going to be an awesome night in st louis!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So it is widely know that PJ allows fans to download and share their official bootlegs without purchasing after 3 years...that being said...does anyone happen to have the 9 disc Philly Spectrum box set they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance for the PM.

UPDATE: I have found the 10/27 show and 10/31 show. Still looking for the 10/28 & 10/30 shows.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 07-16-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    damn i love this band, so bummed I couldn't get ticket to those MSG shows. Cant wait for Wrigley!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How's this for a fuckin' bump?

Temple of The Dog to release 25th anniversary edition of album, play small U.S. tour.

May have to hit that Seattle show up for sure.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I will without a doubt be there November 7th at MSG. Eddie better fuckin' be there too.