Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After two tracks, i already prefer Earthling to Gigaton

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm curious: How do you feel about Gigaton? I haven't really gotten back to it after my first two or three listens didn't really resonate, tbh.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    *looks at iTunes play count in the hundreds*

It was alright.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm curious: How do you feel about Gigaton? I haven't really gotten back to it after my first two or three listens didn't really resonate, tbh.
    Like every Pearl Jam album released after the 90s, I liked it, but hardly ever go back to it. The first five albums are the ones that really resonate with me.

Earthling is fucking fantastic. This album is up there with the best of PJ's early albums.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Riot Act was their last great album imo
    the rest since have been good and Gigaton the only one that bored me despite good singles

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Haves is a lovely song.
    still hooked on this album

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I went to see them last night at Oakland Arena and it was PHENOMENAL. I wasn't planning on going, I knew they were playing here but I wasn't that hooked to Gigaton so I decided to pass. But, a friend from outta town said she was coming to the concert, and asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. About three songs in I realized, through the video screens (I was up in the nosebleeds) that the drummer was not Matt Cameron, but Josh Klinghoffer, and I think right after that Eddie mentioned that this has been a rough year from drummers (Taylor Hawkins) and mentioned that Matt had tested positive for Covid. They had Josh fill in for some of the songs, Richard Stuverud for other songs (a Seattle music teacher who now lives in Oakland, he played in the RNDM album), and a local kid named Kai Neukermans, from a band called The Alive played in Mind Your Manners (a high school senior!).

They opened with Long Road, that's the song they opened their Monterrey MX show in 2005, when I saw them for the first time. Back them I only knew their hits, and not their back catalogue, so I enjoyed the song in that first show of mine, but as the years went by I realized how awesome of a song Long Road is, and is now one of my favorites, and oh man I was ECSTATIC when they opened with it. I sang my heart out to it, it was fantastic. Amazing setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl...-5bb7d3dc.html

Since they used three fill in drummers, they couldn't play their super obscure, deep cuts stuff, BUT that meant they did not play any songs from their albums I'm not familiar with (Binaural, Riot Act, Backspacer, the avocado album) and I was glad for that (and they still played relatively deep cuts: Bee Girl, Crazy Mary, W.M.A.). My faves were Long Road, Low Light, Smile (sang my heart out to this one), Baba O'Riley, Immortality, State of Love and Trust and Dissident. I was reading the Pearl Jam Reddit and apparently, according to fans, this is the most Pearl Jam they have sound in a while (I'm not an expert PJ fan here, but it seems like the consensus is that Matt Cameron does not play too similar to what Jack Irons, Dave Abbruzzese, Dave Kruzen did on their first records, and these guys played closer to the sound of those records). The three of them did a really fine job, and I did not know Josh could also play the drums, and he did a mighty fine job, he did not seem out of place. I think the band had some timing issues here and there, but not too noticeable, they were just excited and happy to be playing. Eddie's voice was in TOP shape in the songs that required more singing than screaming, songs like Long Road, Low Light, Seven O'Clock, Smile, Immortality, Crazy Mary. He struggled with the screaming songs, but then again, he's pushing 60, so no complaints here.

As I was leaving the arena, I saw Kai, the local kid who played in MYM, standing a few feet away from me, so I walked up to him and said 'good job' to him. It'll be a night he will remember for the rest of his life. He was invited to the band bow at the end of the show. Really happy that I went and I'm hoping they release a bootleg of the show (it seems like they are not doing that for this tour?). Also, according to the Reddit fans, 33% of what they played last night has not been played in this tour at all (granted, they are only 6 shows in). Still, you gotta respect their setlist variety.

Last edited by cahernandez; 05-14-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I went to see them last night at Oakland Arena and it was PHENOMENAL. I wasn't planning on going, I knew they were playing here but I wasn't that hooked to Gigaton so I decided to pass. But, a friend from outta town said she was coming to the concert, and asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. About three songs in I realized, through the video screens (I was up in the nosebleeds) that the drummer was not Matt Cameron, but Josh Klinghoffer, and I think right after that Eddie mentioned that this has been a rough year from drummers (Taylor Hawkins) and mentioned that Matt had tested positive for Covid. They had Josh fill in for some of the songs, Richard Stuverud for other songs (a Seattle music teacher who now lives in Oakland, he played in the RNDM album), and a local kid named Kai Neukermans, from a band called The Alive played in Mind Your Manners (a high school senior!).

They opened with Long Road, that's the song they opened their Monterrey MX show in 2005, when I saw them for the first time. Back them I only knew their hits, and not their back catalogue, so I enjoyed the song in that first show of mine, but as the years went by I realized how awesome of a song Long Road is, and is now one of my favorites, and oh man I was ECSTATIC when they opened with it. I sang my heart out to it, it was fantastic. Amazing setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl...-5bb7d3dc.html

Since they used three fill in drummers, they couldn't play their super obscure, deep cuts stuff, BUT that meant they did not play any songs from their albums I'm not familiar with (Binaural, Riot Act, Backspacer, the avocado album) and I was glad for that (and they still played relatively deep cuts: Bee Girl, Crazy Mary, W.M.A.). My faves were Long Road, Low Light, Smile (sang my heart out to this one), Baba O'Riley, Immortality, State of Love and Trust and Dissident. I was reading the Pearl Jam Reddit and apparently, according to fans, this is the most Pearl Jam they have sound in a while (I'm not an expert PJ fan here, but it seems like the consensus is that Matt Cameron does not play too similar to what Jack Irons, Dave Abbruzzese, Dave Kruzen did on their first records, and these guys played closer to the sound of those records). The three of them did a really fine job, and I did not know Josh could also play the drums, and he did a mighty fine job, he did not seem out of place. I think the band had some timing issues here and there, but not too noticeable, they were just excited and happy to be playing. Eddie's voice was in TOP shape in the songs that required more singing than screaming, songs like Long Road, Low Light, Seven O'Clock, Smile, Immortality, Crazy Mary. He struggled with the screaming songs, but then again, he's pushing 60, so no complaints here.

As I was leaving the arena, I saw Kai, the local kid who played in MYM, standing a few feet away from me, so I walked up to him and said 'good job' to him. It'll be a night he will remember for the rest of his life. He was invited to the band bow at the end of the show. Really happy that I went and I'm hoping they release a bootleg of the show (it seems like they are not doing that for this tour?). Also, according to the Reddit fans, 33% of what they played last night has not been played in this tour at all (granted, they are only 6 shows in). Still, you gotta respect their setlist variety.

Check your private messages.