Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    yeah, I'm not going. apparently there are only two fucking theaters in the entire state of Washington with the capability to do this? fucking hell.

https://pearljam.com/onenightonly/

It's a bummer Cinerama is closed for remodeling. I saw PJ20 there whenever it came out and it was a cool experience.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tour's been postponed due to Coronavirus fears.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    tour's been postponed due to coronavirus fears.
    fuck!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    fuck!
    Tickets will be honored and they’re working with TM to make the process smooth.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Tickets will be honored and they’re working with TM to make the process smooth.
    After the fiasco that was selling the extra tickets I had for the Hamilton show, I have zero faith in this process being smooth.

I'll still go when they reschedule, but we were only about 2 weeks away, I was pretty excited.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    After the fiasco that was selling the extra tickets I had for the Hamilton show, I have zero faith in this process being smooth.

I'll still go when they reschedule, but we were only about 2 weeks away, I was pretty excited.
    I was HAM too! And TOR.

I'm not sure how I feel about this cancellation, whether it was really necessary or not. I think the governments (CAN/USA) need to run awareness programs and ads informing people to STAY AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC if they have a fever and flu like symptoms.

And cover your fucking mouth when you sneeze in public, I fucking HATE people at the mall or grocery store who sneeze and do nothing to reduce icky; like sneeze into shirt, elbow pit... or hold it in or look down at least!

Should gatekeepers at arenas start temping people?

PS. NHL is still in full swing, how is a concert any different? (Other than GA).

Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    STAY AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC if they have a fever and flu like symptoms.
    Except now they’re saying you’re contagious before you start exhibiting the symptoms. Like, perhaps even WEEKS before.

NHL: We have one season game left, and we’re not going.

Not because of people sneezing, but because it’s hard to avoid touching anything. And people touch EVERYTHING. And those surfaces are Petri dishes.

This is gonna be reality for a while.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-10-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    so the theater thing is officially cancelled. I do hope they make the Atmos mix available via a blu-ray release.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

happy hunting. at work so I don't know where to look, just that it's somewhere. went home for lunch and I put a cup out for the leak. I'm pretty sure I might know something.

44.1/16/256 is what I've seen as the quality.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-19-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    it's, uh....it's pretty good. I've listened to it twice now, working on third. I don't know what I was expecting after the wild swings of the two singles but this is great.

This quote from someone captures my feelings pretty well:
    This is an album about surviving past the end. It’s an unexpectedly appropriate subject for this day and age, and Pearl Jam is a uniquely authentic musical voice for it. They are capable of capturing, without fetishistic assumption or romanticism, the real experience of survival. They know what it means to live with losses that you can’t outlive. They know it’s not always going to feel like it was worth it.

So save your predictions, and burn your assumptions. But the band also wants you to feel the natural jubilance of the phrase “there’s much to be done.” Its reaction to the bitter end isn’t trademark fury, but just the same I’m still alive, different day.

The inspirations were clearly (primarily) Trump and climate change, but the band’s empathetic fixation on surviving hardships (both physically and spiritually) make this the ideal album to carry into uncertain quarantine. It’s an album that wants you to feel less alone. First, do no harm. Then: buckle up.

Even the president, lazily disparaged, is then immediately sympathized with in terms the band cannot help but understand. “His best days gone, hard to admit,” and here the smugly-strutting song becomes a mother’s hug. “Angry punches, with nothing to hit.” It’s like a Riot Act song all grown up...still furious for all of the denied and powerless, but now able to find its own reflection in the failures of the powerful.

Pearl Jam used to make albums about surviving the moment. Then, for a while there, they sort of made albums about remembering what it was like to be surviving the moment. Now, they’re finally ready to talk about you do next. Which in its way is just another kind of promise to survive. Whoever said it’s all been said gave up on satisfaction.

I could very well end up humiliated by how much I like this. I’ll live with it. Because whether or not this is a great record, it hits me right now because I’m pretty scared but hoping, and a hope dies last.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    it's, uh....it's pretty good. I've listened to it twice now, working on third. I don't know what I was expecting after the wild swings of the two singles but this is great.
    The album sounds great, but the mix is clean to the point where it almost feels sterile. Not the usual digital sterility, there's a thinness to certain aspects of the music. The electronic/synth elements in particular sound thin next to the drums. This is certainly an album that benefits from a better audio setup or good headphones, as it's not mixed to immediately punch you in the balls.

I like the "groove" of this record as a whole.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I wonder how much of that is due to the mp3 compression? guess we'll find out in a week.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2020/03...is-review.html

This review quotes the person I quoted above in case that part seems familiar. I have to agree that this album is going to be marked by the time of its release coupled with its messages. It's going to be hard to listen to it in say a decade and not think about right now, much like listening to SOAD's Toxicity - and specifically "Jet Pilot" - is an instant reminder of the immediate feelings around 9/11 and Eddie's Ukulele Songs when I was going through a really rough patch in my relationship. To me, "Alright" sounds like the song that was written after or during a quarantine so to hear it now is kind of awesome (meaning feeling a sense of awe). I mean so much of this song feels like it was written for 40-year-old me...I can already tell that a lot of the feelings for this album for me are going to be centered on this song.

This album reminds me of Fear Inoculum in that they take bits of their old songs and sounds and reuse them (Three Fish and ToTD show up in Quick Escape for example) but they manage to make it sound good instead of tired.

I can't wait for Friday.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This album is GREAT! The boys sound fucking fresh as hell. Definitley enjoy is more than Lightning Bolt and Backspacer...two albums I still thoroughly enjoyed but was bored with the mix. Eddie's vocals were on top of everything else too much.

This album is like Avocado II. That is a compliment. Such a great first listen. Cant way to get the vinyl in.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was going to be stopping by the local record store to pick up the vinyl on Friday but it is looking increasingly likely that the state will be shut down by the governor tonight so that's just not in the cards. dammit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was going to be stopping by the local record store to pick up the vinyl on Friday but it is looking increasingly likely that the state will be shut down by the governor tonight so that's just not in the cards. dammit.
    I would bet if you called the record store owner she/he would be more than happy to ship the record to you from their home assuming they are quarantined to their home as well.

(fuck just saying that in a sentence and its fucking "normal" is a bummer -- glad this album is out during this shit)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Santos L. Halper said:
    We sent CD's in waves...zip codes 0-3 shipped 3/20. 4-9 shipped yesterday due to looming WA state shutdown. Vinyl etc are shipping now.
    enjoy!
    slh
    fyi

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    a) there is a FLAC out there.

b) I checked my shipping and it still shows as pending. that said, every single order I've ever made shows as pending so who tf knows.

c) new single today for Quick Escape.

d) also a game for Quick Escape...?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    giving it a listen now. this album, like the new NIN, came at the perfect time. first track is great!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    After a few spins, I can say Gigaton is a solid record. It's a shame it took 7 years, but it was worth it.
    If I could fix one thing it'd be the track listing/flow. The strongest bunch of tracks are all at the beginning. I felt a bit worn out from Buckle Up onwards.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    as I saw posted elsewhere:
    the last 3 songs are half the length of backspacer
    great album. the leak was certainly muddled a bit as when I listen to my CD rip it sounds so much clearer in parts and there are whole instruments that I didn't hear before. so good.

forgot to link to this interview with the producer:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...ck-1203546989/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    After a few spins, I can say Gigaton is a solid record. It's a shame it took 7 years, but it was worth it.
    If I could fix one thing it'd be the track listing/flow. The strongest bunch of tracks are all at the beginning. I felt a bit worn out from Buckle Up onwards.
    I agree with you. The last however man songs I felt myself tuning out after really enjoying the first handful of tracks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I agree with you. The last however man songs I felt myself tuning out after really enjoying the first handful of tracks.
    agreed

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I mean I'm not going to say no to more music from them.
    These could be mistakes in printing....
    But maybe Gigaton 2 is coming too...

CD says only Side A

Half a Heart Logo on its spine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    loving the bass in Quick Escape!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gigaton is great, my early impression is that it's their freshest sounding material since probably Yield. Dance of the Clairvoyants is a stellar track and I have no idea how they pulled it off; it's one of those songs that shouldn't work and comes across as awkward on first impression, but once you become more acquainted, the song's elements all come together beautifully. I was a bit disappointed that the album doesn't go fully into the experimentation that single implied, but the band sounds really great and very energized. Eddie's vocals really impress throughout. Definitely top heavy, as others have noted, but the late-album lull does eventually lead to River Cross, which is such a gorgeous closer.

On that note, how great is this band at writing effective opening tracks? Who Ever Said might be one of their best openers!

Overall, the cheesy vibe that hampered my enjoyment of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt is largely absent on Gigaton. I'll be enjoying it for a while. Probably ranks somewhere around the mid-tier of their discography, which is no small feat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Take the Long Way is so good! Matt's songwriting is always awesome, and I wonder if he wrote the track in mind for Soundgarden. Love the bass in Quick Escape, and the organ in River Cross totally reminds me of Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead. The record's definitely more adventurous than Lightning Bolt, which is cool, cause when PJ experiment like they did in Binaural or No Code they always come out with great stuff.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Just gave the new album a spin. I'll have to spend more time with it, but I like it. The first five will always be my favorite though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shame they can't gig a ton in support of album

Pun aside given how creative this album is compared to, well shit now that I think about, the last 20 years worth of PJ material, I'd actually be excited to see them for the first time in, well shit, 20 years.

Also quite curious just to see how they'll execute Dance of the Clairvoyants live.