Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    After two tracks, i already prefer Earthling to Gigaton

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm curious: How do you feel about Gigaton? I haven't really gotten back to it after my first two or three listens didn't really resonate, tbh.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    *looks at iTunes play count in the hundreds*

It was alright.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm curious: How do you feel about Gigaton? I haven't really gotten back to it after my first two or three listens didn't really resonate, tbh.
    Like every Pearl Jam album released after the 90s, I liked it, but hardly ever go back to it. The first five albums are the ones that really resonate with me.

Earthling is fucking fantastic. This album is up there with the best of PJ's early albums.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Riot Act was their last great album imo
    the rest since have been good and Gigaton the only one that bored me despite good singles

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Haves is a lovely song.
    still hooked on this album

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I went to see them last night at Oakland Arena and it was PHENOMENAL. I wasn't planning on going, I knew they were playing here but I wasn't that hooked to Gigaton so I decided to pass. But, a friend from outta town said she was coming to the concert, and asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. About three songs in I realized, through the video screens (I was up in the nosebleeds) that the drummer was not Matt Cameron, but Josh Klinghoffer, and I think right after that Eddie mentioned that this has been a rough year from drummers (Taylor Hawkins) and mentioned that Matt had tested positive for Covid. They had Josh fill in for some of the songs, Richard Stuverud for other songs (a Seattle music teacher who now lives in Oakland, he played in the RNDM album), and a local kid named Kai Neukermans, from a band called The Alive played in Mind Your Manners (a high school senior!).

They opened with Long Road, that's the song they opened their Monterrey MX show in 2005, when I saw them for the first time. Back them I only knew their hits, and not their back catalogue, so I enjoyed the song in that first show of mine, but as the years went by I realized how awesome of a song Long Road is, and is now one of my favorites, and oh man I was ECSTATIC when they opened with it. I sang my heart out to it, it was fantastic. Amazing setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl...-5bb7d3dc.html

Since they used three fill in drummers, they couldn't play their super obscure, deep cuts stuff, BUT that meant they did not play any songs from their albums I'm not familiar with (Binaural, Riot Act, Backspacer, the avocado album) and I was glad for that (and they still played relatively deep cuts: Bee Girl, Crazy Mary, W.M.A.). My faves were Long Road, Low Light, Smile (sang my heart out to this one), Baba O'Riley, Immortality, State of Love and Trust and Dissident. I was reading the Pearl Jam Reddit and apparently, according to fans, this is the most Pearl Jam they have sound in a while (I'm not an expert PJ fan here, but it seems like the consensus is that Matt Cameron does not play too similar to what Jack Irons, Dave Abbruzzese, Dave Kruzen did on their first records, and these guys played closer to the sound of those records). The three of them did a really fine job, and I did not know Josh could also play the drums, and he did a mighty fine job, he did not seem out of place. I think the band had some timing issues here and there, but not too noticeable, they were just excited and happy to be playing. Eddie's voice was in TOP shape in the songs that required more singing than screaming, songs like Long Road, Low Light, Seven O'Clock, Smile, Immortality, Crazy Mary. He struggled with the screaming songs, but then again, he's pushing 60, so no complaints here.

As I was leaving the arena, I saw Kai, the local kid who played in MYM, standing a few feet away from me, so I walked up to him and said 'good job' to him. It'll be a night he will remember for the rest of his life. He was invited to the band bow at the end of the show. Really happy that I went and I'm hoping they release a bootleg of the show (it seems like they are not doing that for this tour?). Also, according to the Reddit fans, 33% of what they played last night has not been played in this tour at all (granted, they are only 6 shows in). Still, you gotta respect their setlist variety.

Last edited by cahernandez; 05-14-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I went to see them last night at Oakland Arena and it was PHENOMENAL. I wasn't planning on going, I knew they were playing here but I wasn't that hooked to Gigaton so I decided to pass. But, a friend from outta town said she was coming to the concert, and asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. About three songs in I realized, through the video screens (I was up in the nosebleeds) that the drummer was not Matt Cameron, but Josh Klinghoffer, and I think right after that Eddie mentioned that this has been a rough year from drummers (Taylor Hawkins) and mentioned that Matt had tested positive for Covid. They had Josh fill in for some of the songs, Richard Stuverud for other songs (a Seattle music teacher who now lives in Oakland, he played in the RNDM album), and a local kid named Kai Neukermans, from a band called The Alive played in Mind Your Manners (a high school senior!).

They opened with Long Road, that's the song they opened their Monterrey MX show in 2005, when I saw them for the first time. Back them I only knew their hits, and not their back catalogue, so I enjoyed the song in that first show of mine, but as the years went by I realized how awesome of a song Long Road is, and is now one of my favorites, and oh man I was ECSTATIC when they opened with it. I sang my heart out to it, it was fantastic. Amazing setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl...-5bb7d3dc.html

Since they used three fill in drummers, they couldn't play their super obscure, deep cuts stuff, BUT that meant they did not play any songs from their albums I'm not familiar with (Binaural, Riot Act, Backspacer, the avocado album) and I was glad for that (and they still played relatively deep cuts: Bee Girl, Crazy Mary, W.M.A.). My faves were Long Road, Low Light, Smile (sang my heart out to this one), Baba O'Riley, Immortality, State of Love and Trust and Dissident. I was reading the Pearl Jam Reddit and apparently, according to fans, this is the most Pearl Jam they have sound in a while (I'm not an expert PJ fan here, but it seems like the consensus is that Matt Cameron does not play too similar to what Jack Irons, Dave Abbruzzese, Dave Kruzen did on their first records, and these guys played closer to the sound of those records). The three of them did a really fine job, and I did not know Josh could also play the drums, and he did a mighty fine job, he did not seem out of place. I think the band had some timing issues here and there, but not too noticeable, they were just excited and happy to be playing. Eddie's voice was in TOP shape in the songs that required more singing than screaming, songs like Long Road, Low Light, Seven O'Clock, Smile, Immortality, Crazy Mary. He struggled with the screaming songs, but then again, he's pushing 60, so no complaints here.

As I was leaving the arena, I saw Kai, the local kid who played in MYM, standing a few feet away from me, so I walked up to him and said 'good job' to him. It'll be a night he will remember for the rest of his life. He was invited to the band bow at the end of the show. Really happy that I went and I'm hoping they release a bootleg of the show (it seems like they are not doing that for this tour?). Also, according to the Reddit fans, 33% of what they played last night has not been played in this tour at all (granted, they are only 6 shows in). Still, you gotta respect their setlist variety.

Check your private messages.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I mean, if you're going to get a second drummer why not get the guy who played the songs the first time?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It was a mistake to fire Dave Abbruzzese over his dumbass politics. It was never quite the same without him.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Dave A was probably their best drummer, yes, but without that firing we never would have gotten No Code. Yield? eh, take it or leave it but No Code was the one that sat me back on my ass.

They probably would have maintained their rock star status with whatever came out next with Dave A and they might have gone under instead of still being around. Who knows.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    It was a mistake to fire Dave Abbruzzese over his dumbass politics. It was never quite the same without him.
    Nah, they recorded great albums with Jack Irons; also with Matt Cameron.

Abbruzzese was great, don't get me wrong, but the band needed to mature and the other drummers helped them out.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quick question: how do you know if somebody's a better drummer? What are the criteria?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    well, in Matt's case "do they play the songs at the same BPM as the original drummer yes/no" and the answer is almost universally "no". Though he was their first drummer* so it's a flat circle.

Jack Irons had too many toms.

Dave A. had too many cymbals.

Matt C. had only three weeks.

Dave K. had a great tone but terrible alcoholism.

also how do they have five drummers and only three names between them.

(edit: this is me taking the piss because I don't think any of them are the 'best' drummer for the band, more like 'best for the time they needed them'.)

(except for Cameron, he brings a lot to the band and if they listened to him and practiced more they'd get the live BPM up and more oddball songs from him in the studio)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Dave A and Cameron are my favorites. Totally agree with allegate about Cameron, they need to go at his pace more. I felt like after Cameron joined they sounded more like Down On the Upside Soundgarden than Pearl Jam lol

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Nah, they recorded great albums with Jack Irons; also with Matt Cameron.

Abbruzzese was great, don't get me wrong, but the band needed to mature and the other drummers helped them out.
    Irons and Cameron are great drummers, but I really think they lost something when Abbruzzese left, in addition to a small sense of fun.

I do love No Code.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Irons and Cameron are great drummers, but I really think they lost something when Abbruzzese left, in addition to a small sense of fun.

I do love No Code.
    I feel like they had passion and aggression when he was in there. Vs is still my favorite album of theirs I think.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I feel like they had passion and aggression when he was in there. Vs is still my favorite album of theirs I think.
    I know Dave A. didn't play on Ten and I do really like most/all of their albums, but they did lose something when he was fired. I can't quite articulate it.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    I know Dave A. didn't play on Ten and I do really like most/all of their albums, but they did lose something when he was fired. I can't quite articulate it.
    I can't put my finger on it, what they lost.

OH, WAIT.

They lost Dave Abbruzzese, on drums!

Is that what it was? Is it at least something along those lines?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-19-2022 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I can't put my finger on it, what they lost.

OH, WAIT.

They lost Dave Abbruzzese, on drums!

Is that what it was? Is it at least something along those lines?
    What?

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    What?
    It's a joke. You said they lost something that you couldn't articulate when Dave was fired.
    They lost Dave.
    It's a deliberate misunderstanding of your musing, in an attempt to create humor, and slightly break your balls.

Edit: and I think you pretending not to get the dumb joke: this is you breaking MY balls, right?

ANYWAY.

What's this about Earthling?

I absolutely love the first three, but I haven't listened to a new full album since Yield-ish.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-19-2022 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's a joke. You said they lost something that you couldn't articulate when Dave was fired.
    They lost Dave.
    It's a deliberate misunderstanding of your musing, in an attempt to create humor, and slightly break your balls.

Edit: and I think you pretending not to get the dumb joke: this is you breaking MY balls, right?

ANYWAY.

I absolutely love the first three, but I haven't listened to a new full album since Yield-ish.
    I'm a little sluggish today.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    They lost Dave.

ANYWAY.

I really liked Binaural, but after that it seemed like they were coasting along (album-wise). They're still amazing live.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Now this is how you re-issue an album, Gigaton vinyl comes with a CD of live versions of all of the Gigaton songs, except for the first song (weird, huh?):
    https://recordstoreday.com/upc/602445924868

You can also find a digital version of these live songs, in the usual places.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    well, in Matt's case "do they play the songs at the same BPM as the original drummer yes/no" and the answer is almost universally "no". Though he was their first drummer* so it's a flat circle.

Jack Irons had too many toms.

Dave A. had too many cymbals.

Matt C. had only three weeks.

Dave K. had a great tone but terrible alcoholism.

also how do they have five drummers and only three names between them.

(edit: this is me taking the piss because I don't think any of them are the 'best' drummer for the band, more like 'best for the time they needed them'.)

(except for Cameron, he brings a lot to the band and if they listened to him and practiced more they'd get the live BPM up and more oddball songs from him in the studio)
    two months later I'm going to close out that * since I forgot to in the original post:
    Matt was the drummer on the original demos that were sent to Eddie.
    The three then went into the studio for separate sessions with Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron and former Shadow drummer Chris Friel to record some instrumental demos. Five of the songs recorded—"Dollar Short", "Agytian Crave", "Footsteps", "Richard's E", and "E Ballad"—were compiled onto a tape called Stone Gossard Demos '91 that was circulated in the hopes of finding a singer and drummer for the trio.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    [Watt is] also deep into production on a new album with Pearl Jam, a personal favorite he's seen perform live more than 30 times. All five band members have crowded into his [Beverly Hills] basement together, playing face to face. It follows Watt's work on 'Earthling,' a solo album from bandleader Eddie Vedder, released in February.
    From the LA Times

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    How come fantano, and his ilk, talk so much shit about Pearl Jam, I wonder?

Maybe you had to be there, when Ten blew your eleven year old mind, and you (ok, i) walked to the local target and stole VS, and then Vitalogy was just unreal?

I mean, FUCK: the anthemic, transcendent nature of Rearview Mirror, and the undeniable MOTION of Porch and Once and Go and Spin the Blaxk Circle, the sheer elation of Corduroy, and joy of Glorified G, the depth and beauty of Oceans and, well, Deep, and Off He Goes, the gowdawful pain of Black, the "fuck you" of This is Not for You, the badassery of Hail Hail and Do The Evolution, the gorgeous Led Zep ripoff that is Given to Fly...

And I'm just talking about their FIRST few albums.

I fucking LOVE Pearl Jam, but they no longer seem to get their flowers.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-16-2022 at 05:03 PM.