Page 67 of 156 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well since someone on this board is a patient of the doctor, I guess I really can't help but ask Mantra if he got one of these emails?
    Why does he keep saying "take a lion" instead of "KILL A LION?" Is that hunter avoidance speak?

He didn't TAKE the lion, he left the lion's decapitated head in Zimbabwe.

Now, that lion's cubs will likely be "taken" by the remaining male lion in the pride.

Here, Doc, let's put it in human speak: say some guys break into your house and they TAKE your wife. Oops, they MEANT to take the guy next door's wife. Oh well. Now they have to "take" your kids, too. That's kinda what's happening there in Zimbabwe. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Why does he keep saying "take a lion" instead of "KILL A LION?" Is that hunter avoidance speak?
    Yep, in the same way as how he intended "to honour it for all time" to translate to "to plough my 20 year old receptionist on its carcass while my wife is at her mother's place for the weekend".

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Gang killings of bus workers freezes San Salvador's transportation system

In the third day of de facto strikes, at least 142 routes through the teeming capital were shut down and there were no immediate prospects of normal transportation resuming soon, Ramirez said.

"Things are getting worse," he said, an assessment shared by Salvadoran news media, which reported a nearly 50% increase overnight in idled bus routes. The city of 1.8 million residents lacks a subway, suburban train network or other alternative for shuttling people to their jobs.

With thousands unable to make their way across the vast city, normal commerce and services were suffering. Prensa Grafica said nearly 1,500 surgeries and medical procedures had to be canceled because of the transportation snarl.
    UGH.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/us/ohi...ng-indictment/

this cop straight up murdered this kid, and it was captured on a body cam.
    He was indicted yesterday, for straight up murder.
    Warning...i kinda wish i could unsee the video. It's not gory, but it's seeing how chill the dude is, hearing his last words, and the lonely noises the crashed car repetitively makes after it crashes.

You're right. I wouldn't shoot him in the face. I would skin him alive, stick him in a vat full of vinegar and let him suffer for hours. Then I'd fillet him very slowly until he died. That's what I would do. And I would have ZERO pangs about it. Humans are a plague. Vile pieces of shit like this guy should be eliminated. And people who defend them... I don't want to interact with people who defend them.

It would be awesome if more people got upset about the cruelty and murder of animals like they do with humans (you know - the ones who do those heinous things).

Last edited by Miss Baphomette; 07-28-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    i agree that it was awful to shoot the cat and i'm on your side here, but godDAMN @missbaphomette
    that's kind of rough talk!
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-30-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i LOVE animals and you know it. And i'm all for animal rights.
    It's the talk about humanity being a plague that bothers me.
    That's what billionaire assholes who think they own the world like ted turner go on about.
    I have sincere fears of depopulation, and in such a scenario, who gets to live and who gets to die @Miss Baphomette ?
    And who decides?
    Not us!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well twitter mob obviously

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm not a particular fan of eye-for-an-eye punishment, but if A Clockwork Orange has taught us anything, it's that irredeemable psychopaths can be brainwashed into being productive members of society. If he was strapped into a chair and forced to watch every David Attenborough documentary in history, back to back, maybe he could learn some respect for nature.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I'm actually very glad this has become such a major international news story. The problem is that hunters think a kill is something to be proud of, and show off about - but the global outpouring of life-threatening hatred should show these scumbags the way most people really feel about it. Hopefully there will be a lot of hunters, or would-be hunters, who will be discouraged from it over this.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'm having problems understanding this whole planned parenthood. I've visited numerous websites to try and get the FACTS.
    Kinda hard. As soon as I see the words" murdering babies", I know it's biased to the right. I didn't even bothered checking out Dailykos because it's not it'll be biased to the left.

I figured my buddies from ETS would be able to give it to me straight.

So .. Planned Parenthood. Guilty or not guilty?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I'm having problems understanding this whole planned parenthood. I've visited numerous websites to try and get the FACTS.
    Kinda hard. As soon as I see the words" murdering babies", I know it's biased to the right. I didn't even bothered checking out Dailykos because it's not it'll be biased to the left.

I figured my buddies from ETS would be able to give it to me straight.

So .. Planned Parenthood. Guilty or not guilty?
    I dunno, it's kinda creepy. It seems like they're talking about harvesting organs of aborted babies without the consent of the mothers. And the way they're talking about it is pretty callous. Okay, I guess that's the way doctors talk when they have to harvest organs from anybody, but this seems particularly callous when it does appear that they may have not even gotten consent. I've always been a big fan of PP, but this one is creepy.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yes it is. Words carry a meaning but they also carry an emotional content. In this context, to "take" has a lesser impact than to "kill"; especially when the act of killing makes you a killer. Nobody wants to be a "killer". By talking about "taking a lion" (or any of the other animals he has killed) he is distancing himself of the emotional impact of ending a life or hurting a living being.

In other words: he's a fucking coward who refuses to assume what he did.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    well since someone on this board is a patient of the doctor, I guess I really can't help but ask Mantra if he got one of these emails?
    No, but that mail could still be real, because I don't even think River Bluff Dental has my email. I started going there back in my teens and I'm pretty sure I've never given them my main email address since then. To be honest, I was already planning to find a new dentist anyway because I don't even live near Bloomington anymore, I just hadn't gotten around to dealing with that yet. I can ask my mom if she's gotten that email. I know she said she's tried calling over there a couple times and gotten no answer, so I haven't really bothered trying myself.

I think it's hilarious how that email tries to emphasize that hunting has nothing to do with dentistry, as if that's really gonna make people stop and think twice about getting a new dentist. "Look everyone, just because I'm a wacko who enjoys decapitating innocent animals for fun and entertainment doesn't mean you need to stop coming in for you regular cleanings. Even if you disagree, these things have nothing to do with each other!"

The amazing thing is that River Bluff Dental is right next to an animal clinic.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was talking to G about this last night, thinking about - wow - how much do dentists MAKE if they can afford to go blow $50 Gs to kill a lion, or other animals, on a regular basis? And then you have the air fare to Africa, hotel, etc. Dentists charge way too much money, holy crap.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm just as internet-mob-outraged as anyone about this, but I draw the line at "I am Cecil".

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Ehh.. I don't know if anyone's watching Humans (you should, it's great), but there's a line early on by an abused synth - "what they do to us, they want to do to you." It's pretty well-known that deviants and serial killers often start out with animals before moving on to people.
    Not saying that every hunter is necessarily a murderer in waiting, but I'd be very concerned about where that desire is coming from.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 07-30-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Ehh.. I don't know if anyone's watching Humans (you should, it's great), but there's a line early on by an abused synth - "what they do to us, they want to do to you." It's pretty well-known that deviants and serial killers often start out with animals before moving on to people.
    Not saying that every hunter is necessarily a killer in waiting, but I'd be very concerned about where that desire is coming from.
    Yeah, but that's not all hunting, right? I mean, there are deer hunters here in the Midwest during deer season who EAT what they kill and it's part of the culling process because there are no natural predators (although, coyote are on the rise and helping to cull the deer population naturally) so the deer starve to death if the population gets too big. And eating what you kill during a legal and controlled hunting season is different than trophy hunting and you're killing an endangered species (or Jeffrey Dahmer killing the neighborhood pet cats).
    Last edited by allegro; 07-31-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yeah, 'hunting' was a bit of a broad term. It's understandable if it's done for food, maybe if it's done as a job (like the cull that gamekeepers sometimes have to perform). It's survival in both cases.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Kenya Elephant Poaching: Suspected Poachers Arrested For Tsavo National Park Killings

Kenyan wildlife authorities Wednesday arrested two suspected poachers in the slaughter of five elephants in Tsavo National Park. But a major manhunt was still underway to catch the rest of the killing gang after the carcasses of a female adult and four young adult elephants were found with their tusks missing, Agence France-Presse reported.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yeah, but they didn't have names. (Totally joking, it's still awful...)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @slave2thewage , are you for killing 90% of the world's population?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yesterday I went to bloomington to see my mom and decided to stop by River Bluff Dental. It was maybe 3:00 in the afternoon, but it was totally abandoned and empty there, not a single other person. There were two cops parked in car across the street, not sure what that was about. On the front door of the building was a taped up sign that said "Dear Dr. Death, when you killed me, you also killed all my cubs...Why?" And then beneath the sign there were maybe a dozen baby lion stuffed animals sitting in front of the door. Seeing that place all empty like that in middle of the day really made it feel like the guy's business is totally finished with.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @slave2thewage , are you for killing 90% of the world's population?
    Absolutely. All hail the Queer Reich.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Absolutely. All hail the Queer Reich.
    all this talk makes me think of this sick track,,,i keep hearing it in my head, where he says "iwanttokill everybodyintheworld."

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Okay, i wasn't going to say anything, but this horseshit about Cecil's "brother" Jericho being killed pushed me over the edge.

There are like 2000 endangered animals poached in southern africa every year.

Six hundred plus elephants.

Six hundred plus LIONS.

That means that close to two of these lions are being killed EVERY FUCKING DAY, day in and day out, every week, year. And there are THOUSANDS of "joe the dentists" or whatever the fuck for everyone to hate.

I'm not saying it's good. In fact, i think that it's insanely abhorrent. It's fucking disgusting.

But why is the news media suddenly paying attention to it...because they had fucking NAMED one of them?

I wanna ask all of these people ranting about "cecil the lion" being killed on facebook...ask them how often this happens. See if they have any idea that it has happened more than ONCE, for fuck's sake.

I really don't understand society and the way it relates to the media.

I hope that this raises awareness about this very real thing that happens EVERY DAY and isn't just a social media thing that is forgotten by next month

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    First, Jericho isn't dead. Some of the biggest bullshit news is coming out of Zimbabwe.

Second, naming wild animals being tracked and monitored on preserves and in parks has become common practice, to aid in conservation and to draw public attention to conservation. See also the Virunga Gorillas, who all have names.

Over the years, many reports have shown that it is not in our psychology as human beings to respond to the grand abstractions of catastrophe. Paul Slovic, a psychologist at the University of Oregon, calls it “psychic numbing.” Such concepts are too overwhelming; too distant from us. Our response is to tune out and turn away. However, what has been documented over and over again is that we do respond to the stories of single human beings (that’s why charity organizations focus on one hungry child to sponsor—not the millions that go hungry every day). This means that seeing and hearing singular stories becomes an open channel to communication, understanding and compassion.
    "If I look at the mass I will never act. If I look at the one, I will." - Mother Theresa
    Last edited by allegro; 08-03-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    WHO CARES why most people suddenly care and the media is actually paying attention for once? People finally give a shit, and suddenly they're being scared off by hardcore vegans guilt-tripping them for their hypocrisy and over zealous conservationists screaming at them for not caring about rhinos as much. This kind of attitude isn't taking the ball and running with it, it's slapping it out of your teammate's hands. I've never seen such a ridiculous response to people finally getting on the bandwagon.

"Oh, you care about Cecil the Lion do you? Well fuck YOU! You fair-weather wannabe animal lover! I bet you ate bacon this morning you sick fuck hypocrite! Get off this fucking bandwagon! We don't need your kind!"

The speed with which this movement has lost momentum is startling, and it's entirely because of this bullshit.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    After traveling across Europe and Canada without any incidents, HitchBOT was destroyed by someone Philly.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/hitch...tour-1.2498653

Thank you guys.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    WHO CARES why most people suddenly care and the media is actually paying attention for once?
    I'm more shocked by the comments on Facebook: "it's a fucking lion, who cares." Or, worse yet, "millions of babies are aborted every year, and more people care about a lion." Or, "four Marines were killed, but people don't care about that." Faulty logic, people.

This is the equivalent of a guy paying to hunt at a fucking ZOO. "Oh, he didn't know, um, his guides did it." Uh-huh. Yeah, right.

But, trophy hunting still sucks no matter how you do it and the more people who know about it, the better.

By the way, not that I like Jimmy John's, but they ain't getting any of MY money ever again.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-03-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    WHO CARES why most people suddenly care and the media is actually paying attention for once? People finally give a shit, and suddenly they're being scared off by hardcore vegans guilt-tripping them for their hypocrisy and over zealous conservationists screaming at them for not caring about rhinos as much. This kind of attitude isn't taking the ball and running with it, it's slapping it out of your teammate's hands. I've never seen such a ridiculous response to people finally getting on the bandwagon.

"Oh, you care about Cecil the Lion do you? Well fuck YOU! You fair-weather wannabe animal lover! I bet you ate bacon this morning you sick fuck hypocrite! Get off this fucking bandwagon! We don't need your kind!"

The speed with which this movement has lost momentum is startling, and it's entirely because of this bullshit.
    my point was that i hope that people's awareness continues.
    and also my fear that people don't care about lions being killed, just THIS one.
    and i don't think that its lost momentum is due to the comment i made.
    i think it has to do with the nature of the relationship between the media and the interweb masses.

as i said, "i hope that this raises awareness about this very real thing that happens every day and isn't just a social media thing that is forgotten next month."

it's not losing steam because of vegans and peta members.

it's losing steam because people "care" about what's trendy WHEN it's trendy and then move on to the next trend.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-03-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    No, I really don't think so. I'm not singling you out @elevenism , but it's that sort of thing, the "people only care about this lion because it has a name" sort of thing... it translates to a lot of people who are getting angry about this as if they're being called "trend-hopping posers who like pretty things and cute names." It diminishes their involvement. I've also had a lot of vegetarian friends on my social feeds taking this as an awesome moment to attack people for eating meat, and making the point that animals are animals, whether they're endangered or not. You see this same sort of thing in that argument actually, things like "just because the cow who made your cheeseburger didn't have a cute name, doesn't mean it wasn't a living creature with feelings."

This should be a great spring board moment to shame trophy hunting in general, to call it out for the pathetic "hobby" that it is. This still might have the potential to change public opinion, like the anti-fur-coat movement. There's a reason practically nobody wears fur coats anymore, and it's not because they're expensive. It might not even really be because people became socially aware of the process used to make them. It's because it became really lame and gross in the public eye. It ceased being a status symbol, and became a gaudy and disgusting thing.

Maybe we can really establish that with trophy hunting. It might make people a little less eager to smile for the photos with their kills, especially if they know it might go viral and be spread around as evidence that you're a horrible person. People should hear silent horror movie music when you show them your trophy room full of animal heads. The entire concept of it should stop being seen as a sign that you're manly, rich, and rugged, but maybe it would more loudly scream out to people that you're insecure in practically every way imaginable.

There's a way to add to the movement without diminishing the involvement of people who might just becoming aware of it. The way @Miss Baphomette has been supplying additional statistics helps I think, for instance. It's about fueling the public outrage, not mocking it or distracting from it. That's what I think anyway.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    That will sadly never happen. I've seen how the people with that attitude talk about us "city pussies" who cry about dead animals and how proud they are to be nothing like us.