Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122
Results 3,631 to 3,646 of 3646

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    TMZ is pretty much on top of it, may wanna check that site out. Not looking good for him.

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    All of this information was in the original link that was provided on the prior page.

Yes, it does require actually reading a New York Times story, but it's all there.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-order-n973641

So @Cat Mom - did el Chapo just get handed a "get out of jail free" card?

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-order-n973641

So @Cat Mom - did el Chapo just get handed a "get out of jail free" card?
    He could at least get an appeal.

Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    TMZ is pretty much on top of it, may wanna check that site out. Not looking good for him.
    Man, he's KIND of fucking things up for the whole left. I suppose I understand that issues could drive a man to such a thing, and I forgive him, but he's given an AWFUL new piece of ammo to the maga crowd and right wing conspiracy theorists

(IF it's what it looks like, that is. I'm still praying it isn't.)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Man, he's KIND of fucking things up for the whole left. I suppose I understand that issues could drive a man to such a thing, and I forgive him, but he's given an AWFUL new piece of ammo to the maga crowd and right wing conspiracy theorists

I’ll give the benefit of the doubt until it unfolds (see: Duke men’s Lacrosse case case). As for forgiving assuming things play out they way it looks right now? No way for him.

Doesnt matter who someone “roots for” or what way they lean. Bad people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. That being said I don’t think it provides any long lasting ammo to either side, just a blip in the radar for the near future. People will forget FWIW. His career will be done though.

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

The worst part is that it’s a GIANT disservice to actual victims of hate crimes.

Fuck the “optics” of the MAGA people or whatever, there are actual victims out there who may not come forward after this because it’s hard enough getting anyone to believe. And there are people calling out those who believed him in the first place; people are giving Kamala Harris shit on Twitter for a tweet she wrote right after the news of the attack broke where she denounced the attack. How the fuck was anyone supposed to know that he may have made it up? The assumption is supposed to now be “all victims are full of shit until proven otherwise?” That’s not how the police are trained to treat them.

@Krazy is right, though; right now, Smollett has been CHARGED with a crime. He’s innocent until proven guilty. We need to remember that.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 02-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    The worst part is that it’s a GIANT disservice to actual victims of hate crimes.

Fuck the “optics” of the MAGA people or whatever, there are actual victims out there who may not come forward after this because it’s hard enough getting anyone to believe. And there are people calling out those who believed him in the first place; people are giving Kamala Harris shit on Twitter for a tweet she wrote right after the news of the attack broke where she denounced the attack. How the fuck was anyone supposed to know that he made it up? The assumption is supposed to now be “all victims are full of shit until proven otherwise?” That’s not how the police are trained to treat them.
    Yes, true. And I suppose it would seem that my heart was in the wrong place, but maybe it's because I didn't go into enough detail.

It's often the right who doesn't want to believe in hate crimes.
    ALso, they're the ones who are ALWAYS on the side of murderous police, generally.

And now, with something like this, they're saying "see?! see?! I TOLD you!"

And I fear that this will be brought up in the future, a LOT.
    @Krazy , I'm afraid it DOES create long lasting ammo.

Edit: I guess that I sort of fucked up by framing this politically, but it's just hard not to these days, with ANYTHING.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-20-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    The police didn’t charge him. A grand jury did.

I’ve had LIBERALS in Chicago tell me they didn’t believe him, from day one. The “this is MAGA country” allegation was so incongruous (remember, Trump was pretty much chased off the University of Illinois at Chicago campus during his campaign and he’s hated Chicago ever since), it caused doubt. Had it happened in a western suburb or something, maybe it wouldn’t have been met with such doubt. It took the police less than a week to track down the two suspects via security video and rideshare records. This wasn’t well thought-out. And it wasn’t an area where a random act could occur. Even some of his liberal neighbors doubted it.

The cops even found the beauty supply store where the brothers bought the ski masks. The store owner was on the news tonight saying the brothers came in asking for them, but usually people want balaclava type masks - except they were sold out of those so they only had the eyehole kind - the guys are on camera buying the eyehole type masks, and the owner said nobody’s bought those “since the ‘70s” LOL.

One neighbor told police that there was a creepy redneck dude hanging around the front of the building at around midnight. Smollett was allegedly on the phone with his manager at the time of the attack; Smollett doesn’t want to turn over his entire unlocked phone to police, but now it’s been subpoenaed. Maybe his manager’s phone can be subpoenaed.

There have been other cases that people thought would cause long-lasting ammo, like the bunch of black thugs in Chicago who beat the shit out of a Trump supporter. Nobody even REMEMBERS that, now.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 02-20-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    The police didn’t charge him. A grand jury did.
    Right, right. I'm referring to the entire social paradigm.

And I hope you're right about this not causing lasting ammo.

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    CPD news conference this morning, watched it live, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson is pissed.

Here is the latest scoop re Smollett: https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smoll...e-say/5148577/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    you don't know what to think about this one...jesus
    Going back to this gem here: WTF? I know it's hard to imagine sometimes with the court of public opinion but there's still the rule of law that says innocent until proven guilty. Now that he's turned himself in we have a clear indication of what to believe.

Also, isn't it backwards in the UK? That you have to prove your innocence?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Now that he's turned himself in we have a clear indication of what to believe.
    No, we don't. He was indicted by a grand jury based on evidence that had already been leaked by folks in the police department so opinions were already in place. Either he turned himself in or he had to surrender. He decided to surrender. That's not admitting guilt. Jussie is sticking to his story, the police are talking about what they've found and are giving their opinions, and this is likely headed to court to determine what the likely truth of it all is unless one side breaks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Also, isn't it backwards in the UK? That you have to prove your innocence?

Nope.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    No, we don't. He was indicted by a grand jury based on evidence that had already been leaked by folks in the police department so opinions were already in place. Either he turned himself in or he had to surrender. He decided to surrender. That's not admitting guilt. Jussie is sticking to his story, the police are talking about what they've found and are giving their opinions, and this is likely headed to court to determine what the likely truth of it all is unless one side breaks.
    Really? The article I saw earlier today said he admitted to it because of his pay and screen time. Maybe it was conjecture on their part then?
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Nope.
    Huh. I seem to have misremembered the plot of Denial!
    in the UK, the burden of proof in a libel case lies with the accused

Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Smollett turned himself in to avoid the hassle of being arrested. But, he was booked, a mug shot was taken, he was in jail for several hours until bond was set, and he was out this afternoon on bond and back to work on the set of ďEmpire.Ē

It IS going to Court. Heís been charged with a felony.

Heís innocent until proven guilty.

But the Stateís Attorneyís Office assembled the grand jury that decided to indict him based on facts and testimony before the grand jury, not opinions. Itís important that we remember that.

His case isnít looking good right now.

Inside Jussie Smollett's alleged plot: Chicago police say they were suspicious from the start

The Stateís Attorneyís office already has means, motive and opportunity; a deposited check, oral testimony, video footage, text messages, all kinds of bad shit.

The Judge was NOT pleased.

Last edited by Cat Mom; Yesterday at 10:48 PM.