Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3727

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Terrible tornadoes kill 23 in Alabama, Georgia and Florida.

Honestly, my fear of tornadoes is why I will NEVER live in a building that doesn’t have a basement.
    I've always been really fascinated by storms, and love few things more than sitting by the window - or better, on an open porch - and taking in a thunderstorm.

But when I lived in Texas, I was on the top story of an apartment building that didn't have a basement. Every time we got tornado watches, it stopped being fun and started scaring the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Researchers at MIT warn that if climate change remains unchecked (Business As Usual-scenario = RCP 8.5) over half a billion people will, from 2070 onwards, experience humid heat waves that will kill even healthy people in the shade within 6 hours. The Wet Bulb Temperature (WBT) would exceed 35°C (95°F), at which the body – of any mammal – cannot cool itself, overheats and shuts down.

Three regions were studied: China (2018), South Asia (2017) and the Persian Gulf (2015). The researchers predict (at RCP 8.5) WBT exceeding 35°C about once every decade for the Northern Plains in China (400+ million people), at locations in the Chota Nagpur plateau, northeastern India, and Bangladesh in South Asia (70+ million people). Persian Gulf regions that would be affected include cities such as Doha, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Dubai (UAE) and Bandar Abbas (Iran).

The total number of people affected will be higher than 0.5 billion. A study in Nature (2017) identifies regions worldwide that are likely to exceed the survivability threshold from 2070 onwards (see Fig. 2). These also include the Eastern United States, Northern Latin America and Northern Australia.

Wet bulb temperatures higher than 33.5°C for more than a few hours have not been measured in human history (yet). In 2015 there was a severe episode in South Asia with 30°C WBT. This led to 3,500 deaths. According to this article the largest hospital in Karachi was receiving 1 patient per minute and the morgue was overflowing.

Would airconditioning be to avail? Podcast Ashesashes describes that a ‘perfect storm’ will hit power supply at extreme temperatures. Airconditioning at high temperatures leads to more than 20% extra power demand, while at the same the power grid becomes less effective, nuclear and gas fuel plants provide less power because of warmer cooling water and transformers are more likely to overheat leading to power outages. Also, it is hard to see how renewable energy could meet the peak demand. Without solutions, the areas mentioned would effectively become uninhabitable.

At the Business as Usual-scenario many billions of people would experience WBT higher than 32°C on a regular (e.g. yearly) basis, which is already deadly for the less fit and makes working outside impossible.

http://climateguide.nl/2019/03/09/no...illion-people/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The world continues to amaze me in how stupid some humans can be...

Jaguar attacks woman who climbed Arizona zoo barrier to take a selfie

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-take-a-selfie

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    The world continues to amaze me in how stupid some humans can be...

Jaguar attacks woman who climbed Arizona zoo barrier to take a selfie

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-take-a-selfie
    An Exclusive Interview With the Jaguar Who ‘Attacked’ a Woman at an Arizona Zoo

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Athlete caught on mic threatening fan. Athlete claims shouted horrendously racist things at him (not caught on mic). Fan soon determined to be racist piece of shit via a long history of horrible social media posts.

Two types of responses ensue:
    -Athlete was in the right (this is the correct response)
    -"How is this even an argument? The fan wasn't caught on camera! How can we even know what he said? This is such a one-sided story and big bad black athlete man is the one who should be punished!"

Goddamnit, I hate people.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/russell-westbrook-jazz

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Athlete caught on mic threatening fan. Athlete claims shouted horrendously racist things at him (not caught on mic). Fan soon determined to be racist piece of shit via a long history of horrible social media posts.

Two types of responses ensue:
    -Athlete was in the right (this is the correct response)
    -"How is this even an argument? The fan wasn't caught on camera! How can we even know what he said? This is such a one-sided story and big bad black athlete man is the one who should be punished!"

Goddamnit, I hate people.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/russell-westbrook-jazz
    That guy should consider himself lucky Russ didn't follow through.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    That guy should consider himself lucky Russ didn't follow through.
    You kiddin' me? Guy would've gotten some minor injuries before the fight was broken up, Westbrook would get suspended (win for racist guy), and guy would most likely successfully sue for an extremely large sum.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    President Trump issues Emergency Order grounding all Boeing 737 Max 8 and Max 9 aircrafts, immediately.

Hallelujah.

(American, Southwest and United use these planes.)

https://abc7news.com/trump-orders-em...in-us/5188824/

Canada announced the same order today, as well.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-13-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Finally did something good!

Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Finally did something good!
    Which means he probably just FINALLY did what someone suggested he do, and he didn't have a "reason" not to. He's "made" a couple other good "decisions."

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Boeing says they did it, the FAA says they did it.

Boeing issued a software update for these planes that wasn’t provided by the FAA because it was evidently during the Government shutdown?

The issue here is a software / computer related to the new engines and pitch during takeoff (MCAS). These planes require special training.

So, it’s not totally a plane problem: It’s a combo of the plane but mostly the lack of transparency to pilots and the new training needed to take off and fly the plane that isn’t a typical jet.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-13-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    With the college drama, all the kids should be expelled from their schools - if they knew what was happening or not. Why would a school want to continue to associate with them?

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Boeing says they did it, the FAA says they did it.

Boeing issued a software update for these planes that wasn’t provided by the FAA because it was evidently during the Government shutdown?

The issue here is a software / computer related to the new engines and pitch during takeoff (MCAS). These planes require special training.

So, it’s not totally a plane problem: It’s a combo of the plane but mostly the lack of transparency to pilots and the new training needed to take off and fly the plane that isn’t a typical jet.
    Amen, sister! How many times has the NTSB recommend more training for the pilots at the end of their investigations of crashes? A whole lot. Planes are becoming more and more computerized and there is this idea that "the planes are now flying themselves" which is very dangerous thinking. Pilots still need to be trained to fly these planes and understand how the computer works. Problem is it takes time to train pilots and it cost a lot of money to do it. But hey, since the plane is flying itself anyway... 🤔

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    MySpace says it lost years of user-uploaded music :-(

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/70445...uploaded-music

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    MySpace says it lost years of user-uploaded music :-(

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/70445...uploaded-music
    Thankfully, it also lost years of photos, which means there's a looooooooot of stuff I no longer have a password to that has been mercifully wiped from the internet.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Go on a CRUISE, they said! It’ll be FUN, they said!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/nor...ay-2019-03-23/

Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-23-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    All charges dropped in Jussie Smollett case. Wow.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...326-story.html

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    @ickyvicky - I moved this over to Random General since the original discussion took place there.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    He did community service and forfeited his bond TO THE CITY OF CHICAGO. So he cut a deal.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Head is spinning over this, so somebody must be full of shit here but who?

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx said in a statement, "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."

(The agreement requires him to pay the $10,000 bond to City but he’s saying he “donated” it.)

Watched Police Sup. Eddie Johnson and Mayor Rahm Emmanuel just now. They’re both pissed off.

Eddie still wants an apology, and asked what happened to “this individual” demanding his day in court to clear his name?

Rahm says this indefinitely fucked things up for real victims of hate crimes; Rahm also says $10,000 doesn’t nearly cover the costs the city incurred.

Smollett’s attorneys are proclaiming his innocence and how “unfairly” their client was treated, yet he paid $10k and did community service to make it go away. Yeah, that makes sense.

Meanwhile, Kim Foxx had her own share of trouble in this matter because Smollett’s relatives were texting her right after it happened, asking her to get the FBI to investigate instead of the CPD and she said she’d try. Huh??? Correct answer is: “I’m sorry, I can’t discuss this matter.”
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-26-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    @Cat Mom Is it possible to say Smollett took a version of the Alford Plea before going to court? Sure looks like that to me.

And it doesn't resolve anything.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @Cat Mom Is it possible to say Smollett took a version of the Alford Plea before going to court? Sure looks like that to me.

And it doesn't resolve anything.
    Pretty much, yeah. He made it go away.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Okay wait ... it gets BETTER!!!

Back in February, Jussie Smollett hired Hollywood Attorney Mark Garegos:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...ense-attorney/

Last night, Attorney Michael Avenatti and Mark Garegos were arrested by the FBI for trying to extort millions from Nike:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...i-filings.html

Note from the above NY Magazine link that Avenatti received a wire for Stormy Daniels’ $1.6 million settlement, put it in a segregated (client fund) trust, told her it hadn’t yet arrived, he then spent ALL THE MONEY on himself and his debts for his failing coffee coffee company (TOTALLY ILLEGAL), and told Daniels the money never arrived, and then he didn’t pay taxes on it.

Wtf.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    It's laughable to hear Rahm say this fucks things up for victims of hate crimes after Laquan McDonald and his police department going into Burger King to erase surveillance footage of his shooting but go off I guess.

I'm sure there's some procedural nonsense and corrupting happening behind the scenes around all of this but neither of the opposing parties have clean hands in this.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    The Smollett agreement looks REALLY WEIRD:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...326-story.html

Smollett had posted 10 percent of the bond — $10,000. Ordinarily, that money would be returned to him or his attorneys but instead it will be handed over to the city of Chicago.

To add to the confusion, Judge Steven Watkins ordered the public court file sealed for unexplained reasons.

In a telephone interview, Eric Sussman, Magat’s predecessor as Foxx’s top aide, said the abrupt, secretive nature of the deal “raises questions as to whether there is embarrassing information the state’s attorney’s office doesn’t want the public to know.”

“I’ve never, ever seen anything like this, Sussman, now in private practice, said of the decision to drop charges so soon after an indictment.
    The state’s attorney’s office later released a letter from the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition that said Smollett had performed community service — but just for two days, on Saturday and Monday.

“If he had not done the the community service, the charges would not have been dropped,” Magats said.
    Meanwhile, THE F.B.I. is STILL investigating that letter that Smollett received in the mail because that is a Federal crime.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-26-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Okay, in the “THIS IS A GOOD FUCKING REASON TO BE PISSED AT THE CPD” News:

Guns drawn, cuffed parents, smashed cake: Lawsuit claims Chicago police raided wrong home during boy's 4th birthday party
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 03-26-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    New details in the Smollett saga, and by the way this reads, we definitely don't have the final word on all of this yet: https://abc7chicago.com/fbi-reviewin...urces/5219838/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In other news, some people are just the fucking worst...

San Franciscans raise $46,000 to stop homeless shelter in wealthy area

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...er-embarcadero