Page 141 of 156 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

whoops
    Last edited by allegate; 08-26-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    To all our friends in Ida's path, please stay safe & well. Thoughts & prayers out to you.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Fuck Texas.

Pack SCOTUS.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Fuck Texas.

Pack SCOTUS.
    Yah, it's another wave of me just wanting to scream into the wind. It's almost guaranteed that other states will follow.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    This SCOTUS decision is really bad and I don’t know what can be done about this. It’s not going to stop with Texas

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

let's do this slippery slope!
    edit:

gee what is this...

blargh, that image is cropped. oops, dropped this...

Last edited by allegate; 09-02-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This SCOTUS lack of decision [...]
    Fixed that for you. Though the end result, for now, is the same, in Texas.

What the Court did was deny the request for emergency injunctive relief. See this.

The application for injunctive relief or, in the alternative, to vacate stays of the district court proceedings presented to JUSTICE ALITO and by him referred to the Court is denied. To prevail in an application for a stay or an injunction, an applicant must carry the burden of making a “strong showing” that it is “likely to succeed on the merits,” that it will be “irreparably injured absent a stay,” that the balance of the equities favors it, and that a stay is consistent with the public interest.

The applicants now before us have raised serious questions regarding the constitutionality of the Texas law at issue. But their application also presents complex and novel anteced- ent procedural questions on which they have not carried their burden. For example, federal courts enjoy the power to enjoin individuals tasked with enforcing laws, not the laws themselves. And it is unclear whether the named defendants in this lawsuit can or will seek to enforce the Texas law against the applicants in a manner that might permit our intervention. (“threatened injury must be certainly impending”) The State has represented that neither it nor its executive employees possess the authority to enforce the Texas law either directly or indirectly. Nor is it clear whether, under existing precedent, this Court can issue an injunction against state judges asked to decide a lawsuit under Texas’s law. Finally, the sole private-citizen respondent before us has filed an affidavit stating that he has no present intention to enforce the law. In light of such issues, we cannot say the applicants have met their burden to prevail in an injunction or stay application. In reaching this conclusion, we stress that we do not purport to resolve definitively any jurisdictional or substantive claim in the applicants’ lawsuit. In particular, this order is not based on any conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas’s law, and in no way limits other procedurally proper challenges to the Texas law, including in Texas state courts.
    SCOTUS didn't interfere while the court cases are being battled in Texas. In other words, they didn't feel that it was time for SCOTUS to step in, So this really isn't overturning Roe, though you'll see 9000 posts on Twitter saying it is. For now, yes, a Federal circuit judge tried to put a hold on the law, and the appellate (Federal) court stopped that and let it go ahead. But, this doesn't stop the battle. This law is total ca-ca.

Roberts, yet again, sided with the liberal SCOTUS justices that the TX law should be put on hold. The conserve SCOTUS justices disagreed, mostly due to the fact that the law is totally unenforceable so - ultimately- nobody will suffer any harm.

Still ... FUCK Texas.

It is THE worst state in the country re women's rights.

It's fully in line with the Taliban at this point. It's the Christian version of Sharia.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-03-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I know it's the lack of a decision, but it seems like a hint as to where it's going to go. I hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    has the whistle blower webs server melted yet?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    All that flooding and tornado damage as Ida left the NE...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I wonder what Susan Collins thinks?

oh now you care, I see.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

while I applaud this effort, I know from experience that it will last for ~7 days and then godaddy will put them back up. cancel culture still proving to be slightly inconvenienced culture.

Last edited by allegate; 09-03-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I know it's the lack of a decision, but it seems like a hint as to where it's going to go. I hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was reading about that yesterday. Knowing nothing about law, how was that not part of the 5/4 decision? Or do you think it is a feint by Roberts to get it in front of the court eventually and have an actual ruling?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, in some good news, the website that is urging people to snitch on TX women seeking abortions is being dropped by their domain provider, though I'm sure they'll find a new one within the next 24 hours.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I know there's 800 horrible things going on at once in this country, and I know both the Texas Dems and the Biden admin have had alot of contentious shit on their plate, but the Dem response to this is a joke. This law was passed in MAY. Biden comes out with a forceful pro-choice statement finally now when the gun has already been shot. There should have been a full throated condemning of this and immediate, specific ways they were going to respond back then, nevermind now. Instead we got a mealy-mouthed answer on what exactly they're gonna do. Stuff like the tweet above re: gun laws should already be written up and ready to pass in blue-led states as a response to this. But that means fighting dirty like the Republicans do. And Dem leadership doesn't even seem to know what day it is, nevermind show any ability to rool up their sleeves and fight these fucking PIGS on the right.

And as said, the only real answer is adding 3 leftist judges. That's the answer. End of story. They control all 3 branches of government. FIGHT. Break Sinema & Manchin's backs politically. Make them so uncomfortable that they have to go along with filibuster reform & then 3 new justices being added (same thing with adding DC & PR as states imo). Set term limits on justices while you're at it. Court Murkowski & Collins however you can. Back up the Brinks truck of goodies that will go to their states. Wage a daily, bloody, ruthless campaign in the press against the Texas/Miss./Alabama etc govts that are behind these laws. Sway public opinion. Raise the outrage level amongst normal people. Call out the Supreme Court...daily, by name. Demand Justice Breyer show up to the oval office TOMORROW and beat him into submission (with words, to be clear) so that he announces his retirement ASAP. Hold rallies in these deep red states where you call out these monsters for what they're doing. Fuck bipartisanship, fuck playing paddycakes with these ghouls.

The Dems claim a woman's right to choose is right near the tippy tippy top of their values. But they never, ever act like it. And frankly I think it's b/c they only want to care just enough to fundraise off it, not actually codify these things permanently. Republicans have been playing the long game with this shit for decades and the Dems are caught with their pants down yet again. Feckless.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Hold on a second:

Biden's been committed to codifying Roe since Day One.

Here's October of 2020: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-r...rt-supporters/

Here's May of 2020: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-regardless-of

Here's June of 2019: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...e-2020-1376712

The potential issue with that, of course, is that if we have a conservative SCOTUS, it will be declared unconstitutional in about 5 minutes. Saying you're going to codify it - hell, even writing the law in Congress and attempting to pass it (see Women’s Health Protection Act) - means absolutely nothing if it's struck down by a conservative SCOTUS. It's just political theater, a stunt.

Roe and Casey are being challenged, with zero Federal laws on the books; only state laws. Any Federal law will immediately be challenged, in similar fashion.

Roe has been challenged pretty much every day since 1973. Any Federal law will experience the same thing.

The ACLU constantly challenges these anti-abortion laws, and wins most of the time.

The ACLU has filed an appeal re the Texas law.

This Texas decision doesn't tell us the temperature of this court re Roe, because this Texas law is a bunch of bullshit. It's a citizen with zero standing calling for other private citizens to sue each other over unborn fetuses. It's sanctions material. It's not a slippery slope; it's just a waste of court time.

Sinema and Manchin are FAR too interested in keeping the monetary side benefits of their Senate jobs to risk doing anything that will upset their conservative constituents (which is the majority in their states).

That's the hard truth.

I'm a woman and women's healthcare is, of course, important. But, THE BIGGEST issue right now isn't women's healthcare. IT'S VOTERS' RIGHTS. Because without voters' rights, we don't get ANYTHING, and they UNDO any and all progress.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-05-2021 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Not sure where to put this but this is a real political ad by a real candidate for Argentine congress

The song she's singing is about how people tell her all she has to offer is her body but actually she's full of great ideas (she's not)
    wow.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I know there's 800 horrible things going on at once in this country, and I know both the Texas Dems and the Biden admin have had alot of contentious shit on their plate, but the Dem response to this is a joke. This law was passed in MAY. Biden comes out with a forceful pro-choice statement finally now when the gun has already been shot. There should have been a full throated condemning of this and immediate, specific ways they were going to respond back then, nevermind now. Instead we got a mealy-mouthed answer on what exactly they're gonna do. Stuff like the tweet above re: gun laws should already be written up and ready to pass in blue-led states as a response to this. But that means fighting dirty like the Republicans do. And Dem leadership doesn't even seem to know what day it is, nevermind show any ability to rool up their sleeves and fight these fucking PIGS on the right.

And as said, the only real answer is adding 3 leftist judges. That's the answer. End of story. They control all 3 branches of government. FIGHT. Break Sinema & Manchin's backs politically. Make them so uncomfortable that they have to go along with filibuster reform & then 3 new justices being added (same thing with adding DC & PR as states imo). Set term limits on justices while you're at it. Court Murkowski & Collins however you can. Back up the Brinks truck of goodies that will go to their states. Wage a daily, bloody, ruthless campaign in the press against the Texas/Miss./Alabama etc govts that are behind these laws. Sway public opinion. Raise the outrage level amongst normal people. Call out the Supreme Court...daily, by name. Demand Justice Breyer show up to the oval office TOMORROW and beat him into submission (with words, to be clear) so that he announces his retirement ASAP. Hold rallies in these deep red states where you call out these monsters for what they're doing. Fuck bipartisanship, fuck playing paddycakes with these ghouls.

The Dems claim a woman's right to choose is right near the tippy tippy top of their values. But they never, ever act like it. And frankly I think it's b/c they only want to care just enough to fundraise off it, not actually codify these things permanently. Republicans have been playing the long game with this shit for decades and the Dems are caught with their pants down yet again. Feckless.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Larry Elder prepares for California recall loss with lawyers, voter fraud website

yeah, nothing like losing gracefully anymore is there.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Larry Elder prepares for California recall loss with lawyers, voter fraud website

yeah, nothing like losing gracefully anymore is there.

This recall effort pisses me off so much. They know that in the general elections, the state votes blue, and the only relatively recent anomaly to that was Arnold. The people who live here do not want a Republican coup. It's insulting to imply they do. They were banking on this special recall election to slip by without notice so they could subvert the clear will of the people. There's actually a frightening possibility that they might get away with it. Liberals in this state have grown complacent. Make no mistake though, if the Republicans take over here, they relied on ambivalence, not popular voter support. And they know it. They're not canvassing with billboards, but they are leaning on things like right wing talk radio to get their messaging out.

This isn't an election, it's a coup.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Fuck Texas.

Pack SCOTUS.
    I mean, can't we?
    Am I mistaken, or is that something we could actually do right now?
    Except, wait. Wouldn't we need 60 senate votes?

For the record, the Republican supermajority in Texas has been infuriating for a long, long time.
    What we've got here is often minority rule.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-11-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I mean, can't we?
    Am I mistaken, or is that something we could actually do right now?
    Except, wait. Wouldn't we need 60 senate votes?

For the record, the Republican supermajority in Texas has been infuriating for a long, long time.
    What we've got here is often minority rule.
    We could do it with 51 if Manchin and Sinema weren’t Republicans.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Take a peek at what's my country's been up to in the last year (and in the last three decades as well), summarized nicely by John Oliver (so I won't have to).

Last edited by fillow; 09-13-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)