Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 3759

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Now they're saying it has collapsed! Oh no!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I admittedly don't care for Paris and am not thrilled to be going back next month, but this is still heartbreaking to watch.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Seriously, even if you disregard the religious aspect, Notre Dame is (was? shit.) a work of art that can never be replaced.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The roof is literally on fire

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    The spire collapsed, the entire cathedral is completely engulfed, the Rose Windows appear to be torched. This is just crushing

The spire contained relics, like the crown of thorns of Jesus Christ.

Notre Dame was a beautiful piece of French Gothic art history. It was a museum. It was the site of the coronation of Napoleon I, the beatification of Joan of Arc.

Now they believe the fire began with the restoration work.

Ugh, heartbreaking.

Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-15-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Seriously, even if you disregard the religious aspect, Notre Dame is (was? shit.) a work of art that can never be replaced.
    It is a work of art and a magnificent example of human craftsmanship. Like all great monuments around the world, it belongs to all of humanity; no matter if people are religious or not.

I'm watching this and I'm crying at the loss. It's just horrible, a nightmare.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Just think...assuming the fairly logical conclusion turns out to be right and that this stemmed from the restoration work, that means there's probably at least one person now who is going to spend the rest of their life wondering if, or dealing with, the notion that they caused this. I feel guilty about the smallest little things...I can't even imagine having that on my conscience.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    This is horrible. Fuck.

And when they find the person (or people) responsible for this ungodly fuckup, holy shit, it's gonna be BAD.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    I just watched the video of mourners outside Notre Dame singing Ave Maria while they watched it burn... holy shit...

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    A lot of the interior by the altar is shown to be miraculously intact in circulating photos. Not sure WHEN the photos were taken, if before more destruction occurred.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/photos...lously-intact/

Also, it’s reported that all of the removable artwork was removed. Many of the bronze sculptures (including the roof sculptures) had already been removed during the renovation process. I’m not sure if the relics in the spire were removed. Edit: It is reported that the relics WERE removed.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-15-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just watched the video of mourners outside Notre Dame singing Ave Maria while they watched it burn... holy shit...
    Kneeling and holding rosaries.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-16-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That is nuts.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My wife is a teacher in DPS. It's always a little unnerving around this time of year but this really took things to another level. They put some schools on lockdown yesterday afternoon and then the FBI met with the heads of multiple districts at 3am where it was decided an unplanned day off was better than a bunch of dead kids. Glad this shit is over with. I'm excited to going back to pretending like there isn't a massive mental health issue in this country.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Please leave NIN out of this! Sunspots, really???

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/inside...teen-sol-pais/

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Sri Lanka attacks: More than 200 killed as churches and hotels targeted

National curfew enforced; all social media networks temporarily blocked.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    over 600 wounded...

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    A break from the horrible news in the world...

The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...RgQD6RINaQJClU

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A break from the horrible news in the world...

The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...RgQD6RINaQJClU
    It's understandable. I don't want to jump around from streaming service to streaming service just to watch certain things, especially when studios decide to move their content to a different service just because they ponied up more cash for it. I don't really pirate much anymore since I can afford to buy stuff, but I'm also incredibly picky about what I buy now. I've had Netflix on and off for a few years, and I've enjoyed it, but my actual use of it is so infrequent.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's understandable. I don't want to jump around from streaming service to streaming service just to watch certain things, especially when studios decide to move their content to a different service just because they ponied up more cash for it. I don't really pirate much anymore since I can afford to buy stuff, but I'm also incredibly picky about what I buy now. I've had Netflix on and off for a few years, and I've enjoyed it, but my actual use of it is so infrequent.
    At least with Netflix, something comes back, you can pay for the month and watch it and cancel afterwards. Hulu actually puts up only the first couple of episodes, then makes you wait for the rest weekly as a way to keep people having to pay for multiple months.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    I don't use Netflix enough to justify the money I spend on it anymore. I'll re-subscribe when they have a new Black Mirror season.

I'm cancelling Showtime too. So, I'll stick to Hulu, HBO, and Shudder w/ Amazon Prime on the side for anything I don't get there. Netflix is really making a huge mistake by increasing their subscription fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really don't mind jumping between streaming services. I'll stick with Netflix for a while, but if there's something on another service, I'll cancel Netflix and try something else for a month. But I also don't make a habit of sitting down to watch tv very often, so maybe that only works for me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My streaming services are almost exclusively for my daughter. She's 4, and streaming is a lot easier than buying stacks and stacks of dvd's she'll grow out of. What irritates me the most is when she gets really into a show or a movie and within a few months, the service pulls the show. I've had to go back to pirating shows that i had been streaming legit.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    My streaming services are almost exclusively for my daughter. She's 4, and streaming is a lot easier than buying stacks and stacks of dvd's she'll grow out of. What irritates me the most is when she gets really into a show or a movie and within a few months, the service pulls the show. I've had to go back to pirating shows that i had been streaming legit.
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.
    We do that sometimes, we take out digital books and things from our local library. Plus, i do try and buy collections of shows she really likes if they're affordable. She's on this big kick for Paw Patrol and we got a big pack of dvds for her of episodes that weren't on our available streaming platforms. Admittedly, I'm a holdover from the old school where when you pay for something, you owned it, so it's been a difficult trek for me switching to streaming culture. Old habits die hard and i'm too used to falling back on piracy when i either can't stream or can't afford a purchase. Working on that though. I pirate a lot less than I used to, and i'd like to envision myself as part of a world where i absolutely feel like i don't have to.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    what I silently wonder is, though... what exactly is the REAL difference between torrenting and renting from the library? Just saying...

Convenience?