Page 124 of 127 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 3789

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is horrible. Fuck.

And when they find the person (or people) responsible for this ungodly fuckup, holy shit, it's gonna be BAD.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    I just watched the video of mourners outside Notre Dame singing Ave Maria while they watched it burn... holy shit...

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    A lot of the interior by the altar is shown to be miraculously intact in circulating photos. Not sure WHEN the photos were taken, if before more destruction occurred.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/photos...lously-intact/

Also, it’s reported that all of the removable artwork was removed. Many of the bronze sculptures (including the roof sculptures) had already been removed during the renovation process. I’m not sure if the relics in the spire were removed. Edit: It is reported that the relics WERE removed.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-15-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just watched the video of mourners outside Notre Dame singing Ave Maria while they watched it burn... holy shit...
    Kneeling and holding rosaries.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-15-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-16-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That is nuts.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My wife is a teacher in DPS. It's always a little unnerving around this time of year but this really took things to another level. They put some schools on lockdown yesterday afternoon and then the FBI met with the heads of multiple districts at 3am where it was decided an unplanned day off was better than a bunch of dead kids. Glad this shit is over with. I'm excited to going back to pretending like there isn't a massive mental health issue in this country.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Please leave NIN out of this! Sunspots, really???

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/inside...teen-sol-pais/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Sri Lanka attacks: More than 200 killed as churches and hotels targeted

National curfew enforced; all social media networks temporarily blocked.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    over 600 wounded...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    A break from the horrible news in the world...

The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...RgQD6RINaQJClU

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A break from the horrible news in the world...

The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...RgQD6RINaQJClU
    It's understandable. I don't want to jump around from streaming service to streaming service just to watch certain things, especially when studios decide to move their content to a different service just because they ponied up more cash for it. I don't really pirate much anymore since I can afford to buy stuff, but I'm also incredibly picky about what I buy now. I've had Netflix on and off for a few years, and I've enjoyed it, but my actual use of it is so infrequent.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's understandable. I don't want to jump around from streaming service to streaming service just to watch certain things, especially when studios decide to move their content to a different service just because they ponied up more cash for it. I don't really pirate much anymore since I can afford to buy stuff, but I'm also incredibly picky about what I buy now. I've had Netflix on and off for a few years, and I've enjoyed it, but my actual use of it is so infrequent.
    At least with Netflix, something comes back, you can pay for the month and watch it and cancel afterwards. Hulu actually puts up only the first couple of episodes, then makes you wait for the rest weekly as a way to keep people having to pay for multiple months.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    I don't use Netflix enough to justify the money I spend on it anymore. I'll re-subscribe when they have a new Black Mirror season.

I'm cancelling Showtime too. So, I'll stick to Hulu, HBO, and Shudder w/ Amazon Prime on the side for anything I don't get there. Netflix is really making a huge mistake by increasing their subscription fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really don't mind jumping between streaming services. I'll stick with Netflix for a while, but if there's something on another service, I'll cancel Netflix and try something else for a month. But I also don't make a habit of sitting down to watch tv very often, so maybe that only works for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My streaming services are almost exclusively for my daughter. She's 4, and streaming is a lot easier than buying stacks and stacks of dvd's she'll grow out of. What irritates me the most is when she gets really into a show or a movie and within a few months, the service pulls the show. I've had to go back to pirating shows that i had been streaming legit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    My streaming services are almost exclusively for my daughter. She's 4, and streaming is a lot easier than buying stacks and stacks of dvd's she'll grow out of. What irritates me the most is when she gets really into a show or a movie and within a few months, the service pulls the show. I've had to go back to pirating shows that i had been streaming legit.
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.
    We do that sometimes, we take out digital books and things from our local library. Plus, i do try and buy collections of shows she really likes if they're affordable. She's on this big kick for Paw Patrol and we got a big pack of dvds for her of episodes that weren't on our available streaming platforms. Admittedly, I'm a holdover from the old school where when you pay for something, you owned it, so it's been a difficult trek for me switching to streaming culture. Old habits die hard and i'm too used to falling back on piracy when i either can't stream or can't afford a purchase. Working on that though. I pirate a lot less than I used to, and i'd like to envision myself as part of a world where i absolutely feel like i don't have to.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    what I silently wonder is, though... what exactly is the REAL difference between torrenting and renting from the library? Just saying...

Convenience?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    9 times out of 10, i can get what i'm looking for without piracy. I'm not going to claim i wasn't a huge pirate back in the day, but these days i usually can find anything without it. When i say i occasionally have to resort to torrents, it's in the case of a single episode or series that got pulled from a streaming service and just isn't available anywhere else. Movies are easier, i'm more likely to just buy a download to my Xbox One since that's basically my media center. Tangent, it's really the console that's done the most to curb my piracy habits. I was that guy that said over and over "I just want it to play games, all this media shit is unnecessary, i'm never gonna use it!" Then we had a kid, and it has become the epitome of entertainment convenience. So anybody who ever wanted an example of me having to eat crow, there you go.

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    what I silently wonder is, though... what exactly is the REAL difference between torrenting and renting from the library? Just saying...

Convenience?
    Knowledge.

It’s easier for most people to use Kanopy or Hoopla.

It really is amazing what you can get from the library. I didn’t know until recently that I could take out DIGITAL books from my local library downloaded to my Kindle. They also have a DRIVE-UP service; I order online and someone delivers it to my lazy ass out front in my car. INCLUDING DVDs! OF CURRENT STUFF!
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What's really messed up is in the UK library's are vanishing at an alarming rate (i haven't had a local one for years!) this soon won't even be an option for us!

I try not to pirate, but as an anime fan it's sometimes the ONLY option, especially with some show's not making it over here (like FLCL's new season, never got a UK stream release, but was available in the US...WTF?!) or show's just being pulled from streaming services and only for sale on DVD from ebay for silly prices (Like Kill La Kill, i still haven't even finished that!) on top of that with so many different streaming services just for anime, all asking for the same price, it's no wonder people move to pirate...and the same is happening with regular streaming sites now, too many streaming services want a piece of the pie which is causing people to be really picky with what service(s) they use or just dropping them completely.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Today, we decided that the constitution doesn't allow you to put a chalk mark on someone's tire, but it allows you to buy a semiautomatic rifle.

I think it's time we admit the constitution has maybe stayed up a little past its bedtime.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, i really don't get that. Like, i see the chalk thing as some mild entrapment, but unconstitutional? I can't see the connection there.

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    What's really messed up is in the UK library's are vanishing at an alarming rate (i haven't had a local one for years!) this soon won't even be an option for us!
    Luckily, there appear to be a ton of them listed online.

Including many in London.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-23-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Yeah, i really don't get that. Like, i see the chalk thing as some mild entrapment, but unconstitutional? I can't see the connection there.
    They’re touching your property without first obtaining a warrant.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Today, we decided that the constitution allows you to buy a semiautomatic rifle.
    Link?
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 04-23-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    They’re touching your property without first obtaining a warrant.
    That makes perfect sense. I should have seen that. I'm a super stickler about warrants and private property.