Page 128 of 156 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 4655

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    So sick

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    No biggie... just perhaps a working fundamental physics model of the universe.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Couldn't find an economy thread so whatevs.

what kind of record profits are we expecting from the gas companies after they don't lower the price of gas to reflect this? I mean, if I'm paying more for a gallon of gas than they do for a barrel then I had better see some hefty profits and stock value increases!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    what kind of record profits are we expecting from the gas companies after they don't lower the price of gas to reflect this? I mean, if I'm paying more for a gallon of gas than they do for a barrel then I had better see some hefty profits and stock value increases!
    Where I live, this has crippled the local economy on top of COVID. Our provincial government based their budget on 57$ / barrel ... so... we're fucked. So fucked. I hate this stupid upiss government. Just remember, you can buy a latte or a barrel of oil.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Good point, I was only looking at it from the consumer standpoint and not about the people who actually have to live with the price of the barrel. Man that sucks. I hope it turns around for you guys soon.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I hope it turns around for you guys soon.
    It won't. To make the oil here actually profitable (in terms of extraction and shipping for refinement) for us it needs to be around 75$ ... This, of course, is the fundamental problem with a "Boom or Bust" economy. Which, while we may not have been able to avoid we sure as hell could have mitigated the effects of through diversifying the economy any time in the past 40 years (OPEC crisis on forward). Good thing all those skyscrapers and condos were built with the hopes that people would, you know, rent or buy them. Our downtown was a ghost town before COVID but this is kinda ridiculous.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Now trading in the negatives.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    how does a product trade at a negative value?

the thread actually explains the issue at hand. if this is a problem with May contracts and we're still ten days from that, what then?
    Last edited by allegate; 04-20-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    how does a product trade at a negative value?
    Good analogy I saw (and since that tweet came out, it's now down to -37)

Let's imagine you're running a bar and you've got steady supply of customers so you make contract with brewery. They will deliver you 500 gallons of beer every week no matter what. Suddenly most of your customers are gone, but the beer kegs keep piling on. You fill the storages you have, there's that. Can't fit more in cleaning cabin or the bar.

But trucks bringing new kegs will keep pouring in. It's more expensive to cut the contract than to keep the kegs coming, so you just stack the kegs outside and tell people to come and take it. The problem is that there's really no capacity to take all the beerkegs anywhere.

Now, the cops walk by and see 1000 kegs outside your store and tell you you gotta get rid of it or you're gonna get fined and maybe shut down. Meanwhile another delivery arrives. You're desperate now.

You have to call people up and offer to pay them to take the kegs. Unfortunately, you find out other people also filled up all their storage with kegs too, and nobody wants to come take your shit, even if you pay them $10, $15, $20.

You are now standing on the street corner offering to pay literally anyone to take the kegs... and you're offering $20 (more than what you paid for it) for someone to god damn please come take these kegs I'll freaking pay you absolutely anything I swear to god! YOU! Take this keg! I'll give you $35! COME ON! PLEASE GOD DAMNIT!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Now that Trump has denied reports of Kim Jong Un's health as "fake news", I'm pretty sure he is, or was, in critical condition at some point.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Sure, why not?
    May snowstorm 2020: Historic weather could hit Northeast

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...-gl5WfLFHI9BZg

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah Chicago and Detroit etc. are under a freeze warning tonight. Which isn’t THAT unusual, actually. We’ve always been taught not to plant until after Memorial Day. Snow storm, though, that’s wacky.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Dammit, I liked giphy because they weren't blocked here. well, if I only use google results and never go to their page they don't get any revenue from me....I'll keep that going.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean I probably could have put this in the @twitter thread but I think this is far-reaching enough to be seen by more than the handful of people who go that deep in the forum

also that was me if you've gotten a twitter follow request recently and your tweets are protected. not naming names, just friendly alert.

Go ahead and click through. See anything unusual about the tweet?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Go ahead and click through. See anything unusual about the tweet?
    I don't really do twitter, so...no?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The tweet is set so that no one can reply?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The tweet is set so that no one can reply?
    chicken dinner.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So basically it was just a childish tweet?

Kind of doing your critics' work for them, twitter.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hopefully this'll be a good thing to help cut down on the unsolicited bullshit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Hopefully this'll be a good thing to help cut down on the unsolicited bullshit.
    Ohhhhhh, wait. So, users might have the option of turning off comments, like on IG?? Cause THAT would be fucking rad.

Edit: Yup, you’re right: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/20/2...-conversations
    Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    If Twitter wants to do this right, they'll make the feature unavailable to elected government officials at all levels, from small town mayors up to the Rage Tweeter in Chief.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    If Twitter wants to do this right, they'll make the feature unavailable to elected government officials at all levels, from small town mayors up to the Rage Tweeter in Chief.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The last American to collect a Civil War pension has died: https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...outputType=amp

Try wrapping your head around that one. She was born in 1930 to a Civil War soldier who was 83 at the time. Because she was disabled, she qualified for a lifetime pension as the child of soldier.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Miss Hitler?

Jesus wept. People are fucking nuts.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Human remains found at crazy lady's new husband's house!!

https://idahonews.com/news/local/rex...-daybells-home

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Human remains found at crazy lady's new husband's house!!

https://idahonews.com/news/local/rex...-daybells-home
    This makes me sad. I hope it isn't one (or both) of the missing kids.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    The collectible card game Magic: The Gathering just banned seven racist cards, including one called Invoke Prejudice (1994), which prominently features Klan members in its card image and was, in fact, drawn by a bona fide white supremacist.
    Perhaps I am missing the point. But perhaps not. You can not erase racism from history by attempting to alter what has already happened. Moving forward, it seems wise to allow references of racism to remain as an example of what to avoid in the future.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    You cannot erase history, no. No one's asking for that or expecting the erasure of racism from history to result from this. ...

So, can't this move just be okay? Isn't this concession small enough to allow without protest?
    I respect your elucidation regarding this matter, you are far more informed than I am. Although I do agree in principal regarding this specific example; I remain cautions and alert in general to unwise reactions which attempt to make history more comfortable. It's just something I am quite sensitive to.
    Last edited by zero; 06-11-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: punctuation