Page 134 of 156 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    https://www.mamamia.com.au/nicolas-cage-net-worth/

"Levin advised Coppola against buying a Gulfstream jet, against buying and owning a flotilla of yachts, against buying and owning a squadron of Rolls Royces, against buying millions of dollars in jewellery and art," the filing said, according to CNN.
    He shared that one of Cage's shopping sprees "entailed the purchase of three additional residences at a total cost of more than $33 million; the purchase of 22 automobiles (including 9 Rolls Royces); 12 purchases of expensive jewellery; and 47 purchases of artwork and exotic items."
    While Cage later dropped the lawsuit against his former business manager, his financial woes didn't fade away.
    And in the years since, the actor has reportedly been taking on "roles left and right" to pay off his remaining debt.
    Here's a rundown of the most ridiculous purchases Nicolas Cage blew his fortune on:
    Countless residences.

At one point in his career, the 56-year-old actor owned 15 residences, including a $25 million waterfront home in Newport Beach, California, a luxury $8.5 million home in Las Vegas, and a $3.4 million mansion in New Orleans, which is regarded as the most haunted house in the United States.
    He also purchased two castles in Europe, which he purchased for $10 million and $2.3 million respectively, as well as two (yes, two) private islands in the Bahamas.
    A tombstone.

Outside of his endless home purchases, Cage has already bought himself a nine foot tall pyramid tombstone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The tombstone is located in the oldest cemetery in New Orleans.
    A private jet and a yacht.

At one point in his career, Cage owned fourluxury yachts.
    According to The Mirror, the actor's most expensive yacht, which had 12 bedrooms, is worth around $20 million.
    Oh, and he also bought a private jet. Because of course he did.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Cyrptocurrency market is now worth half as much as Apple"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...1-1-1029940052

-----------

Can someone explain Bitcoin to me in the most babiest-101 terms? Is this something worth getting involved in? Even one of my friend's yesterday posted that because of yesterday's chaos at Capitol Hill, now is the perfect time to invest. I'm confused.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @ickyvicky

I wish I understood it too, apparently it involves computers doing math and this math is what uncovers the currency? It's been digitally mined, It's still unclear to me how this currency is considered to be in existence after this process happens. Who determines what is or isn't a cryptocurrency? How does a normal person even earn this shit? Can you be paid an income that's comprised of bitcoin or equivalent?

Like...?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    To put it simply "mining bitcoins" basically is basically getting credit for maintaining a really complicated accounting ledger. A more detailed explanation can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...eli5_bitcoins/

Some people think that bitcoins will replace government issued currency (hint: they're wrong).

You can't really buy much with bitcoin right now, and I don't see that changing, so at the moment, people are trading them like they're baseball cards. They only have value because people are spending real money on them.

The underlying technology is pretty cool, but it's so easy to create a new one, that the existing one won't ever become the thing people use. If a government decided they needed to use one for some reason, they'd just make up their own.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    They only have value because people are spending real money on them.
    This is really the bottom line. It inherently has no value beyond what someone else is willing to spend on it. It's basically worthless and it's not going to be the financial revolution it's backers are hoping it will be.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-rolf-dobelli

A car drives over a bridge, and the bridge collapses. What does the news media focus on? The car. The person in the car. Where he came from. Where he planned to go. How he experienced the crash (if he survived). But that is all irrelevant. What's relevant? The structural stability of the bridge. That's the underlying risk that has been lurking, and could lurk in other bridges.
    How many times have we seen that Q'anon barbarian today? I get that faces need to be identified, but he's the car here. I'm seeing much less about the bridge. We are so obsessed with MAGA, I don't even think we could point to what the bridge actually is.

News stories are overwhelmingly about things you cannot influence. The daily repetition of news about things we can't act upon makes us passive. It grinds us down until we adopt a worldview that is pessimistic, desensitised, sarcastic and fatalistic. The scientific term is "learned helplessness". It's a bit of a stretch, but I would not be surprised if news consumption, at least partially contributes to the widespread disease of depression.

News works like a drug. As stories develop, we want to know how they continue. With hundreds of arbitrary storylines in our heads, this craving is increasingly compelling and hard to ignore.
    There I was yesterday afternoon, getting my personal house in order, when my phone buzzes. I see a chilling, almost unreal headline about the storming of the Capitol, and choose to spend the rest of the day and beyond focusing on that and nothing but that.

things we already know limit our creativity. This is one reason that mathematicians, novelists, composers and entrepreneurs often produce their most creative works at a young age. Their brains enjoy a wide, uninhabited space that emboldens them to come up with and pursue novel ideas.
    I definitely get the most enrichment out of podcasts, not news. Mostly long-form interviews with thinkers and creatives. I have been doing more of that lately, but man do I miss my 20s when I could get out a pen or a guitar and just offer up my own wild and passionate ideas into the ether just to see what stuck around.

Society needs journalism – but in a different way. Investigative journalism is always relevant. We need reporting that polices our institutions and uncovers truth. But important findings don't have to arrive in the form of news. Long journal articles and in-depth books are good, too.
    Important to note that this piece seems to be defining "news" more in the vein of headlines, clickbait, doomscrolling twitter, and mindless consumption. I don't read it as a hit piece against journalism or media at large, and I 100% respect the work of those of you doing it honestly in the media. Particularly the backbone producer, copy editor, etc types. Still, it's good to turn the notifications off here and there, maybe doubly so in times of up-to-the-minute crisis unless you're right there in it.
    Interesting article and counter-points I was reading.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

This is so awesome. Consequences might actually be a thing soon!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^^woot woot!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Cyrptocurrency market is now worth half as much as Apple"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...1-1-1029940052

-----------

Can someone explain Bitcoin to me in the most babiest-101 terms? Is this something worth getting involved in? Even one of my friend's yesterday posted that because of yesterday's chaos at Capitol Hill, now is the perfect time to invest. I'm confused.

saw this and thought of your post. it's the new tulips.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    thanks @allegate !

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

This is so awesome. Consequences might actually be a thing soon!

they look so happy, i love it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

simpsonsmoonpies.jpg

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

simpsonsmoonpies.jpg
    This GameStop thing is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Also this:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Someone's scared of this, huh.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Someone's scared of this, huh.
    What the fuck?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

It's cold sure but I didn't think it was "hell freezes over" cold for Ted to agree with AOC.

edit:

holy shit, lol

Last edited by allegate; 01-28-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

It's cold sure but I didn't think it was "hell freezes over" cold for Ted to agree with AOC.

edit:

holy shit, lol

Topless Winklevii at that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    There are gonna be a whole bunch of broke people at the end of this.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    there's already a bunch of broke people so will the percentage really change all that much?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The hedge fund people usually have enough money to lose and still be rich.

Not so much for the rest of the world.

This reminds me a little of the dot com bubble. I hope most of the Reddit people bought when it was really low.

Edit: On the other hand, it appears that they’re looking long-term, here.

Nothing would make me happier than a bunch of bankrupt hedge fund managers.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-28-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Yeah she later tweeted something like you tried to murder me so get my name outa yo mouth.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ "... and that game came undone."

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't think most people realize how much this is really going to very likely result in the complete collapse of the world economy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't think most people realize how much this is really going to very likely result in the complete collapse of the world economy.
    agree, but quite honestly, that may very well be the plan.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The economy and the stock market are two separate things, though, totally unrelated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-any-yardstick

see this: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...svm-story.html

The hedge funds bet against the companies by borrowing shares in them from a broker and selling them, with the idea that they would buy the shares back when the prices fell, keep the difference and return the shares to the broker. However, the funds were caught in a squeeze as small investors piled in and drove up the price. That has forced some funds to swallow huge losses.
    The Reddit investors essentially fucked the hedge fund managers and invested in retail.

Great article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/t...e=articleShare
    Last edited by allegro; 01-29-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    yes. they are different.

like when Trump would say "the economy is doing great because the stock market is at an all time high"
    1) the stock market indexes CONSTANTLY reach all time highs, regardless of who's president. it is not indicative of how the nation is doing as a whole.
    2) if the "economy" was doing so good in Trump's eyes, then why was there a devastatingly high number of bankruptcies in 2020?