Page 118 of 156 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 4656

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Random headline: Chick-fil-a is giving away free nuggets for using the app.

I'm tempted to walk in, get them, dump them in the garbage, and walk out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Random headline: Chick-fil-a is giving away free nuggets for using the app.

I'm tempted to walk in, get them, dump them in the garbage, and walk out.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Twitter finally banned Jones and FalseInfo Wars. Took long enough.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The US arm of Ticketmaster has been accused of working with touts to make money from reselling tickets, an undercover investigation has claimed.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/ticke...gramme-2381649

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    The US arm of Ticketmaster has been accused of working with touts to make money from reselling tickets, an undercover investigation has claimed.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/ticke...gramme-2381649
    the absolute least surprising bit of info ever.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    the absolute least surprising bit of info ever.
    Yup. I saw the headline and didn't even watch the video.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm so thrilled to see the Boston Red Sox taking a 3-1 lead over the Houston Astros right now. Especially after game 3, where they took 5 runs off of Roberto Osuna (closing pitcher).

Osuna was a former Blue Jay (my team) who then beat his girlfriend badly enough that the doorman at their apartment called the police and she was taken to hospital. Osuna was suspended 75 games, the charges were dropped and he signed a peace bond (way to lenient for domestic assault charge in my opinion, but I don't get a say). He was traded to Houston before his suspension was finished.

His first game back in Toronto he got boo'd so heavily by the crowd that it was good to see. He closed his games out anyways, but at least he got boo'd. The Houston fans are cheering for him now, and when a sportcaster talks about a player who's committed domestic assault and then kept winning, they talk about trying to find redemption on the field, which is total bullshit.

He got crushed, they hit 5 runs off of him in 1 inning, that'll knock him down a peg. And there will be no announcers talking about "redemption on the field" while the Astros are celebrated as champions if Boston beats them, which they seem to be doing.

It would have been sickening to watch him throw out the final pitch in the world series to watch the Astros become back to back champions, with him at the center of the cheering, which would have been a very real possibility if Boston wasn't winning this series.

I wish that he had been kicked out of baseball, and I wish that even if he hadn't been kicked out of baseball, that we wouldn't have dialogues about "redemption on the field", but watching him take a beating and seeing his team lose seems to be the best we have right now.

Go Boston Go.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    White, Racist, Nazi shithead murders numerous people at a Pittsburgh Synagogue

But no, tell me again how Muslims are terrorists and the people fleeing war zones are the ones we need to be scared of.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    tired of media coverage especially during the midterms, totally whitewashing everything no mention of his van being plastered with pro trump right wing bumper stickers but it's the radical left left mobs the left if mailing bombs to people we disagree with, look it's the people who gave you your job telling you they don't like your policies. i fear the outcome of the elections and trump rallies are only fueling violent behavior.
    -louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Shithead goes on shooting spree at yoga studio in Florida

So far one dead (not counting the loser dickbag who killed himself), with several others in serious / critical condition.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    On a lighter note...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    At least twelve dead, including shooter, in California nightclub mass shooting.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...107-story.html

From a 19 year old:
    “I’m a Thousand Oaks resident,” she said. “This is a safe place. My parents let me go here. This is a trusted place. ... To know that this happened in my safe place is a very, very scary thing.”

Here's your wakeup call. This is America. No place is safe from gun violence unless you're a rich person with a security detail.
    Last edited by theimage13; 11-08-2018 at 06:36 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Really looking forward to the NRA's response to the "good guy with a gun" - a hired armed security guard - who stopped a bar shooting, only to then be murdered by the police when they arrived.

Tell me again how "good guys with guns" are the only answer to reducing gun deaths?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...112-story.html

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Republicans: Kavanaugh is innocent. These women are making up claims!
    Republicans: Avenatti is obviously guilty!

I 100% believe this woman until I see evidence otherwise; Avenatti has just always struck me as a grandstanding asshole and this type of behavior would not at all shock me. That said, the fact that people only believe accusers when it fits their biases really pisses me off.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I 100% believe this woman until I see evidence otherwise; Avenatti has just always struck me as a grandstanding asshole and this type of behavior would not at all shock me. That said, the fact that people only believe accusers when it fits their biases really pisses me off.
    What was with attributing the accusation originally to his ex wife? She even came out and denied it. That was weird.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    His ex accused him of an attack that could have meant life in prison. A selfie saved him.

So I get why it's "his accuser" throughout the story but it's still a little teeny-tiny bit annoying that she was able to do this and the police are like "maybe we'll fill a case against her for a false report, we don't know."

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    His ex accused him of an attack that could have meant life in prison. A selfie saved him.

So I get why it's "his accuser" throughout the story but it's still a little teeny-tiny bit annoying that she was able to do this and the police are like "maybe we'll fill a case against her for a false report, we don't know."
    She should 100% go to prison for this. She literally lied to get a man sent to prison for life. She belongs behind bars.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

It's sounding more and more like it's the same shithead behind the attempted Mueller smear job.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    It's sounding more and more like it's the same shithead behind the attempted Mueller smear job.
    I don't think Avenatti needs any help being portrayed as a piece of garbage. He's a carbon copy of the sleazy lawyer stereotype.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I don't think Avenatti needs any help being portrayed as a piece of garbage. He's a carbon copy of the sleazy lawyer stereotype.
    While I agree with that, I'm still going to be livid if it really is a baseless smear campaign. Women already struggle enough with coming forward due to a fear of not being believed; it's fucking unconscionable to make up accusations like that.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    The Turpin family that had 13 of their kids locked up and beaten all of their lives: https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2018/11/30/california-child-torture-case-trial-date-set-david-louise-turpin/2163853002/

A trial date has finally been set to Sept 2019!
    Sept 2019???? Why is this taking so long?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Federal judge in Texas just struck ACA ruling it was unconstitutional.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/polit...uit/index.html

I assume this will be overturned by SCOTUS. Big test for Roberts and Kavanaugh.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Federal judge in Texas just struck ACA ruling it was unconstitutional.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/polit...uit/index.html

I assume this will be overturned by SCOTUS. Big test for Roberts and Kavanaugh.
    Roberts and the SCOTUS already ruled and upheld the individual mandate and the penalty of the ACA as constitutional in 2012 and ruled that only Congress can undo it. So Congress did in fact undo it, in 2017, by eliminating it. The end.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/567/519/

I think it’s going to be moot because I think that the Democratic House is going to go for a huge change in healthcare while they have control of the house.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-14-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Roberts and the SCOTUS already ruled and upheld the individual mandate and the penalty of the ACA as constitutional in 2012 and ruled that only Congress can undo it. So Congress did in fact undo it, in 2017, by eliminating it. The end.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/567/519/

I think it’s going to be moot because I think that the Democratic House is going to go for a huge change in healthcare while they have control of the house.
    I believe that's why theis federal judge has struck the entire ACA. It is based on the changes made by Congress in 2017.

I get that SCOTUS already ruled on the individual mandate but what do you do with this latest decision?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    In the above SCOTUS ruling relative to Medicaid expansion of the ACA, the Opinion reads:

Even absent §1303’s command, the Court would have no warrant to invalidate the funding offered by the Medicaid expansion, and surely no basis to tear down the ACA in its entirety. When a court confronts an unconstitutional statute, its endeavor must be to conserve, not destroy, the legislation See, e.g., Ayotte v. Planned Parenthood of Northern New Eng., 546 U. S. 320 –330. Pp. 60–61.
    Here is Chief Justice Roberts’ closing words in the above Opinion:

The Affordable Care Act is constitutional in part and unconstitutional in part. The individual mandate cannot be upheld as an exercise of Congress’s power under the Commerce Clause. That Clause authorizes Congress to regulate interstate commerce, not to order individuals to engage in it. In this case, however, it is reasonable to construe what Congress has done as increasing taxes on those who have a certain amount of income, but choose to go without health insurance. Such legislation is within Congress’s power to tax.

As for the Medicaid expansion, that portion of the Affordable Care Act violates the Constitution by threatening existing Medicaid funding. Congress has no authority to order the States to regulate according to its instructions. Congress may offer the States grants and require the States to comply with accompanying conditions, but the States must have a genuine choice whether to accept the offer. The States are given no such choice in this case:

They must either accept a basic change in the nature of Medicaid, or risk losing all Medicaid funding. The remedy for that constitutional violation is to preclude the Federal Government from imposing such a sanction. That remedy does not require striking down other portions of the Affordable Care Act.

The Framers created a Federal Government of limited powers, and assigned to this Court the duty of enforcing those limits. The Court does so today. But the Court does not express any opinion on the wisdom of the Affordable Care Act. Under the Constitution, that judgment is reserved to the people.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit is affirmed in part and reversed in part.

It is so ordered.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-14-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    All I know is I'm freaking the fuck out right now. I only have insurance through work because the ACA mandated my employer to offer it, and my s/o (who makes 16k pre-tax with a fucking PhD) has over $60,000 a year in prescription costs and can only get the necessary insurance through the marketplace.

I fucking hate this country.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    The judges concluded that while the complaints "are serious," there is no existing authority that allows lower court judges to investigate or discipline Supreme Court justices.
    In other words, SCOTUS judges are literally above the law?

All 83 ethics complaints against Brett Kavanaugh dismissed

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That is fucking scary.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Read that article again. Note that it does not say “law” once.

It’s about the canons of ethics. When you become a lawyer, you take an oath to uphold the canons of ethics.

This has been a problem re Justice Thomas for years. The jerk has refused to recuse himself in cases where he clearly should have recused himself. But there’s no teeth to go after him about it, because he’s a SCOTUS Justice.

All of this does not mean “above the law.” It’s a matter of “ethics.” The American Bar Association controls matters of ethics and doles out disciplinary actions for violations. Not necessarily per any statutes (laws), but per the canons of ethics and ABA rules. This article is saying that there is no disciplinary body that deals with ethics and the SCOTUS. Not ILLEGAL ACTIVITY and the SCOTUS, but ethics.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-19-2018 at 11:36 PM.