Page 136 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4084

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Anyone else tired of hearing about Marjorie Taylor Greene?

Expel her and move on.
    Good news everyone!

In Gamestop news:

Anyone read the book "Adjustment Day" from Chuck Palahniuk?
    Synopsis

In a near-future United States, a corrupt Senator plans to reinstate the draft to send young men to die in a planned nuclear attack of mutually agreed-upon destruction in the Middle East to prevent an uprising of those same young men. Meanwhile, mysterious actor Talbott Reynolds circulates a small blue and black book throughout the country full of his own manifesto and wisdom on how life should be lived, and a Web site called "The List" allows users to submit and vote on public figures they think deserve to be killed. Before the vote can be made to reinstate the draft, readers of Reynolds's manifesto rise up, kill the targets on The List, and use severed ears taken from those killings to prove their power and become the new leaders of a new United States, split into the regions of Blacktopia, Gaysia, and Caucasia.
    wtf. I know we joked about "1984" not being an instruction manual but maybe we should include other books now.

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

huh.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I wonder what pay raise he'll give himself for this

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    This NFL thing is so infuriating; I just watched a Nightline special on this, and I’m so fucking pissed. I hope these players win a HUGE settlement; I wish players would BOYCOTT.

https://abc7.com/nfl-concussion-sett...enry/10277915/

So, the NFL experts look at the black players’ injury-related dementia medical claim but then add “race” data that basically boils down to: “You black folk are already stupid so we don’t see how you are any more mentally fucked-up than you already were.”

Like, wtf?!
    Last edited by allegro; 02-04-2021 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This NFL thing is so infuriating; I just watched a Nightline special on this, and I’m so fucking pissed. I hope these players win a HUGE settlement; I wish players would BOYCOTT.

https://abc7.com/nfl-concussion-sett...enry/10277915/

So, the NFL experts look at the black players’ injury-related dementia medical claim but then add “race” data that basically boils down to: “You black folk are already stupid so we don’t see how you are any more mentally fucked-up than you already were.”

Like, wtf?!
    Racial bias (or flat out racism) is in so many facets of society, perhaps even all facets. With progress made, we still have a long, long way to go.

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

Is it ok to speak ill of the dead when they're this stupid? Asking for a friend.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Is it ok to speak ill of the dead when they're this stupid? Asking for a friend.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    "Charges dropped against white woman who called police on black birdwatcher" This is fucking crazy

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-bird-n1257987

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Charges dropped against white woman who called police on black birdwatcher" This is fucking crazy

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-bird-n1257987
    She completed five "psychoeducation and therapy" sessions that helped her "appreciate that racial identities shape our lives" and that "we cannot use them to harm ourselves or others," Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi said.
    This was likely a deal made in advance, to keep it off her record. The punitive system is intended to be rehabilitative as well as punitive; the victim seemed to be happy with this type of outcome.

This is also per new prison and jail reform guidelines that keep jails open to more hardened criminals and repeat offenders, etc., hence the release of many criminals for non-violent offenses, especially during Covid.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    At least a fine or something for the guy!

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    At least a fine or something for the guy!
    She went to five sessions of race-focused counseling; that’s actually more valuable to society than a fine. They probably made her pay money for it, too.

I’ve been at the courthouse and saw people who’ve been sentenced to their sixth or seventh DUI in the lot who drove themselves to the courthouse with suspended licenses.

Moral? These people should be sentenced to mandatory rehab. Fines and jail are often outdated and aren’t always valuable to society.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    She went to five sessions of race-focused counseling; thatís actually more valuable to society than a fine.

Iíve been at the courthouse and saw people whoíve been sentenced to their sixth or seventh DUI in the lot who drove themselves to the courthouse with suspended licenses.

Moral? These people should be sentenced to mandatory rehab. Fines and jail are often outdated and arenít always valuable to society.
    Definitely. Treatment and rehabilitation are much more useful than punitive measures.

Shit, one of my cousins went to.prison for dwi 3. Last time I saw him, he was driving on a suspended license, with a case of beer in the floorboard- like, LITERALLY drinking and driving at the same time, while ON PAROLE.
    A year of mandatory inpatient rehab and counseling would have helped him a lot more than a year of prison, where he just learned about, you know, prison.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    @elevenism - Bingo.

And fining that woman, above, or sending her to jail would have just ramped up her racism, or denial of it. Sending her to counseling (which she pays for, or at least contributes toward the payment of) helps to educate her about how racism hurts people, teaches her empathy, teaches her that her actions were dangerous to vulnerable members of society, etc.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Racism SHOULD be punished though. I think the widespread shaming on media outlets for what she did had to have been fairly unpleasant, but I would argue that a fine commensurate with her status and privilege AND self-funded counseling/rehabilitation should have been part of the sentence, otherwise it just looks like white supremacy in the justice system being lenient towards other white supremacy.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Racism SHOULD be punished though. I think the widespread shaming on media outlets for what she did had to have been fairly unpleasant, but I would argue that a fine commensurate with her status and privilege AND self-funded counseling/rehabilitation should have been part of the sentence, otherwise it looks like white supremacy in the system being lenient towards other white supremacy.
    There was no sentence, technically. But under “normal” white privilege, she would have gone to court, received a minimal fine under the sentencing guidelines (if any) and waltzed away. Being forced to five sessions of counseling is not a small thing. Courts are doing this with domestic violence offenders. Counseling is far more effective than a fine. Sure, a fine “looks” punitive, but it does shit. It’s pretty useless to privileged people. They just write a check.

This from the above-linked article:

”The simple principle is that one cannot use the police to threaten another and, in this case, in a racially offensive and charged manner. Given the issues at hand and Ms. Cooper's lack of criminal background, we offered her, consistent with our position on many misdemeanor cases involving a first arrest, an alternative, restorative justice resolution, designed not just to punish but to educate and promote community healing."

Later Tuesday, Christian Cooper posted a statement on Facebook, again declining to discuss the case but this time mentioning Amy Cooper in arguing for Washington, D.C., statehood.

"I am far more outraged by the US Congress, which continues to deny the mostly Black and brown people of the District of Columbia statehood and the representation every American deserves, than by anything Amy Cooper did," according to his statement.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    There was no sentence, technically. But under “normal” white privilege, she would have gone to court, received a minimal fine under the sentencing guidelines (if any) and waltzed away. Being forced to five sessions of counseling is not a small thing. Courts are doing this with domestic violence offenders. Counseling is far more effective than a fine. Sure, a fine “looks” punitive, but it does shit. It’s pretty useless to privileged people. They just write a check.
    That's what I meant about there needing to be a fine commensurate to her status. Restorative justice is a wonderful thing but privileged people have to write the check so EVERYONE can have it.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    That's what I meant about there needing to be a fine commensurate to her status. Restorative justice is a wonderful thing but privileged people have to write the check so EVERYONE can have it.
    Well, but her “status” according to the justice system (see above) includes lack of any criminal background or prior arrests. There are legal sentencing guidelines in place.

She likely didn’t even realize she was racist. She abused her own dog, while being freaked out over a black dude birdwatching in a park. This is a far bigger issue than her; she was raised among that issue plus sprinkle in women being fear of men in parks in general and we have a whooooooooooole lotta fixing to do.

Here’s the bad news if you are one of those people asking, “Am I racist?”

“If you have to ask if you are a racist, you are,” says Angela Bell, an assistant professor of psychology at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. “And if you are not asking if you are a racist, you are.”
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    She abused her own dog, while being freaked out over a black dude birdwatching in a park. This is a far bigger issue than her; she was raised among that issue plus sprinkle in women being fear of men in parks in general and we have a whooooooooooole lotta fixing to do.
    That takes money. Fine racists, is what I'm saying, and fund more widespread education/rehabilitation with the fines. There is a white supremacy problem across this continent, let's get to work dismantling it.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    That takes money. Fine racists, is what I'm saying, and fund more widespread education/rehabilitation with the fines. There is a white supremacy problem across this continent, let's get to work dismantling it.
    There is a problem with institutionalized racism in the United States, wherein pretty much all white people are racist in some way and don’t even realize it. If we fined racism, here, it’d be an income tax.

We can easily educate people about racism without punishing at the same time. This requires healing at the same time.

White supremacy and racism are two different things. I don’t think Amy Cooper is a White Supremacist. I think Amy Cooper is a not-atypical American who didn’t even realize what she was doing was racist. But she was racist because she was afraid of the black man, and being afraid of the black man is ridiculously common in this country, perpetuated by media’s depiction of black men as criminals and perpetuated by the criminal justice system, itself, and perpetuated by over 250 years of institutional racism. This country is also filled with liberals who are hidden Karens who are terrified of black men.

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/06/09...erican-racism/

We have a LONG hard road ahead of us. It’s depressing how deeply-rooted and bad it really is, here.

Amy Cooper lost her job, lost her dog for a little while, and was dragged. Her behavior was a lesson on “what not to do.” Will others learn from this lesson? Sadly, probably not. Would slapping her with a 6 month jail sentence and a $1,000 fine serve as a deterrent? Nope.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Just terrible

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

Shucky darn.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    ^^ Gotta admit, I never saw any of this coming, holy crap. Even George Conway is demanding that it get shut down.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Well, who needs em anymore. I guess that sounds misanthropic, but hey, we all got what we wanted. I'm not gonna join their club.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    They didn't want us to join their club, they wanted to glom onto the Dem party/this admin eventually. These grifters can still try and influence policy. Let's hope this makes all of them too toxic for anything more than their MSNBC & Bill Maher appearances.

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    what a ride, wow.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    ^^ Gotta admit, I never saw any of this coming, holy crap. Even George Conway is demanding that it get shut down.
    The writing has been on the wall for a while. Rick Wilson's pivot from heel to hero would make most studio wrestlers jealous. He's a ghoul yet somehow, without much difficulty, managed to remake his image...if you're not familiar, go to his Twitter and scroll back to 2013-14 to see his true colors. George got lucky and got out right before the shit hit the fan but he's still a different degree of garbage the way he publicly uses his daughter to drive a passive aggressive wedge between him and KAC. And that sets aside whatever abuse allegations are simmering in that household.

On top of all that, their Twitter account had been semi-regularly stealing and re-posting content without permission or attribution. It's relative, of course.

Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    The writing has been on the wall for a while. Rick Wilson's pivot from heel to hero would make most studio wrestlers jealous. He's a ghoul yet somehow, without much difficulty, managed to remake his image...if you're not familiar, go to his Twitter and scroll back to 2013-14 to see his true colors. George got lucky and got out right before the shit hit the fan but he's still a different degree of garbage the way he publicly uses his daughter to drive a passive aggressive wedge between him and KAC. And that sets aside whatever abuse allegations are simmering in that household.

On top of all that, their Twitter account had been semi-regularly stealing and re-posting content without permission or attribution. It's relative, of course.
    No, what I didn’t see coming was the entire thing falling apart because of John Weaver harassing and soliciting young men and BOYS, and TLP paying a bunch of money to try to protect itself from that, plus lining the founders’ pockets with “consulting fees” while DEALING WITH John Weaver soliciting BOYS.