Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4136

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

well that kind of says it all doesn't it.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    well that kind of says it all doesn't it.
    look at this fucking guy:

Imagine being so far gone and/or braindead that you ever take anything seriously this grifter MAGA chud says.

Last edited by bobbie solo; 02-27-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fun video on the gamestop story -

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    10 Senate Dems want recurring stimulus checks...

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-s...-checks-2021-3

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Red hats are flying on my facebook feed screaming cancel culture about this. Maybe removing books that have literal drawings of black people as monkeys isn't cancel culture, its just not printing racist trash.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Red hats are flying on my facebook feed screaming cancel culture about this. Maybe removing books that have literal drawings of black people as monkeys isn't cancel culture, its just not printing racist trash.
    It's always comical what makes them fly off the handle. If there were a Seuss book about two male Whos getting married in Whoville they bitch and moan about sanctity of marriage and boycott and the rest of it. But to acknowledge and remove works with racist slurs / stereotypes...that's a bridge too far. So transparent.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    A judge has declared that the man responsible for Toronto's deadly van attack in 2018 is guilty of 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sion-1.5933687

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I just don’t like the framing of Dr Seuss as a bigot, because really it’s a label he doesn’t deserve. The best way to learn about intolerance is to perhaps highlight how it could seep insidiously into the work of someone who was clearly a kind and wonderful person, but not to crucify that person while holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Dr Seuss is not a bad guy.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just don’t like the framing of Dr Seuss as a bigot, because really it’s a label he doesn’t deserve. The best way to learn about intolerance is to perhaps highlight how it could seep insidiously into the work of someone who was clearly a kind and wonderful person, but not to crucify that person while holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Eh, I don't think this is so black & white. Bad/ Good.

Geisel also wrote the “Private Snafu” series of Army training cartoons. They featured an irresponsible soldier (Snafu) who often was killed or injured due to his inability to follow orders.(The military) found that the soldiers weren’t responding to the training films, so when Dr. Seuss came up with this character of Private Snafu, they realized they had something that these young soldiers would pay attention to — some sex, some racism,” Nyback said.
    The Dark Side of Dr. Seuss

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    I’ve seen the Snafu cartoons... I honestly don’t remember anything too offensive in them

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    is there an NFT thread?

Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Yes, he was. Even through the old lens. It was racist then, too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...m-long-rcna381

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Racism was always bad, sure, but it's ingrained in most cartoons — most popular art in North American society, really — through all of that period. It's hard to even understand the history of settlement and culture since European colonization of this continent without seeing its pervasive racism. That is what I meant earlier in the thread where we were talking about Amy Cooper and white supremacy — it's just the air she's been breathing her whole life. Same with rape culture/patriarchy/sexism. It's there in all those old cartoons, Pepé Le Pew included.

Seuss is part of that as much as any other popular artist, and I think pulling those books where it's overtly on the surface was a measure of face-saving brand resuscitation by the corporation holding publishing rights (it's not in his family anymore, they sold it long ago). It's on the one hand an acknowledgement that those books are not appropriate for children, but on the other hand it's surrendering that judgment to a corporation that exists to reap income from shit that should rightfully belong in the public domain. An anthology putting that work in scholarly context with other racist cartoons of the day could be instructive, but that's not going to generate as much capital for them as wringing the same old catalogue of works dry for another generation.

I'm part of that tradition too, I have a toddler-sized Seuss anthology in my son's book shelf. Hell, I remember reading Mulberry Street in grade school myself (can't remember if it was the original "Chinaman" or edited "Chinese Man" version). It's fine as long as you are aware of the problem and can account for it with context and awareness. The brouhaha over all of this right now is completely bereft of that.

TL;DR — settler-colonial genocide is the original "cancel culture".
    Last edited by botley; 03-13-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post

I'm part of that tradition too, I have a toddler-sized Seuss anthology in my son's book shelf. Hell, I remember reading Mulberry Street in grade school myself (can't remember if it was the original "Chinaman" or edited "Chinese Man" version). It's fine as long as you are aware of the problem and can account for it with context and awareness. The brouhaha over all of this right now is completely bereft of that.

Good point.
    I often wonder where cultural insensitivity ends and racism begins, or if they overlap, or if they are the same thing.

I don't agree with that Pepe La Pew "cancellation". He was never ever depicted as any sort of role model or hero (See: Rapey James Bond). It was blatant that he was a loser character whose behavior was as predatory as pathetic. One could argue that he was good to have as a benchmark for child development. Is your kid idolizing Pepe? Maybe a good indicator to sit down and talk to them. Why not mention that it's a negative stereotype of the French?

Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, the United States canceled the Asian culture. We imprisoned Japanese American citizens. We used Chinese like slave labor. And some of the Seuss books were veiled propaganda. Was he holding up a mirror to society, like Shakespeare?

I dunno.

But I never even read anything besides “Cat” and “One Fish.” Honestly. My Mom didn’t have anything in the house except those two books. She immediately jumped us into other books. We were strictly taught phonics in those days when learning reading. Which was why the Dick and Jane and some of the Seuss books were valuable: phonics.

But later, when I was tutoring and reading to kids, I found MANY other children’s books to be far more valuable than Seuss.

Quick kinda drifty story here:

In the 60s, my Mom’s cousin was a “Stewardess” in Chicago working for American Airlines, and she was dating this guy named Shel Silverstein.

He wrote a book called “Uncle Shelby’s ABZ Book” and he autographed it for my “Aunt Milly” to give to me and my little brother, and we read it a MILLION TIMES. I was about 8 and my brother 6, and this was the most inappropriate book in the world for kids and of course THAT IS WHY WE LOVED IT. Shel Silverstein went on to write evergreen children’s books like “The Giving Tree" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic" etc.

Last edited by allegro; 03-13-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Republicans: Oh that election fraud. we don't know anything about that.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Here's that Icelandic volcano...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    is there an NFT thread?

Surprised there isn't one on here yet. From my understanding NFT's were a good idea for artists (art/music etc) to help them get direct revenue in the digital space...and it's been absolutely ruined by opportunists and tech bros and everyone looking to profit...oh and stealing! It's so unregulated any actual real artists now are avoiding them. A few people on my feeds tried to get a tokens for their artworks and were charged £30 but were then charged another £100 before they could get the token, some bailed at that point and lost the £30, others tried and were then asked for more before they'd get the token! And then there's the whole issue of "what happens to the token when the site you bought it from goes down?" the answer will not surprise you...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I know simply posting here is consuming energy, but all this blockchain shit is killing us.

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Sweeping changes to Georgia elections signed into law

Gov. Brian Kemp quickly signed a vast rewrite of Georgia’s election rules into law Thursday, imposing voter ID requirements, limiting drop boxes and allowing state takeovers of local elections after last year’s close presidential race.

Besides requiring ID numbers to vote absentee, the bill mandates that ballot drop boxes be located inside early voting locations, limiting their usefulness. Drop boxes won’t be available to voters in the last four days of an election, when it’s often too late to mail them in time.

Weekend voting before general elections will be expanded, with mandatory voting hours on two Saturdays statewide. Counties will retain the option to allow early voting on two Sundays. But early voting before runoffs will be reduced to a minimum of just one week before election day.

The bill also will allow the State Election Board to take over county election boards that it deems need intervention. Skeptics say that will allow Republican officials to decide which ballots count in majority Democratic areas, such as Fulton County.

In addition, the legislation sets a deadline to request absentee ballots 11 days before election day and disqualifies provisional ballots cast in the wrong precinct. Distributing food or drinks to voters waiting in line is also prohibited.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Gov. Kemp - there was no fraud in the election

also Gov. Kemp - I'ma sign this to fight fraud in the election

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    So is Dominion trying to be the next tencent? all these cases, all these billions.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If they win, what are they going to do with that money?

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    I hope they buy Fox News.

Fox should have never sold the entertainment division to prop up the news side. whoops.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    We should name that ship stuck in the Suez Canal "The Mitch McConnell." It's large, full of shit and obstructs everything in its path.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)