Page 21 of 156 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Canadian RCMP officially says it will 'work with Anonymous' on the Rehteah Parsons rape case... if they'll reveal their identities.

Crazy.
    that's either nothing more than a trap for "anonymous" or the canadian RCMP is crazy fucking broken. A crime is a crime. You do something about it no matter what.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Jezebel (I know, I had to double check myself) has an interesting opinion piece on the Gosnell case. The Atlantic has the best summary of the case I've read so far.

edit: I a FUCKING DIGGING this new Pope.
    Last edited by Elke; 04-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    speaking of earthquakes...
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/world/...ake/index.html
    the count keeps climbing. as of this post, 179 dead and 6700 injured.

what a shitty week

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Alleged terror plot thwarted by arrests in Ontario and Quebec

More details will be unveiled during press conference at 15:30.
    This is as exciting as it gets.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nothing that's super surprising, but still a good read: Why the Nielsen rating system is dead.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    US to charge Canadians custom fees?!

I hope Canadians are gonna stood up and limit their trips south of the borders, hopefully slowing the economy even more in certain states. What a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    UK Home Office agrees deal with Jordanian Government aimed at deporting radical cleric Abu Qatada

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22275000

My interpretation is that Qatada intends to expose the weaknesses of western free speech by antagonising us into sending him to his death (he has never carried out an attack in the UK, he just talks endless inflammatory shit). I won't be sorry to see him gone but I can't help but feel people aren't really noticing a significant event here. It shows that in some cases we are more concerned with preserving our status quo than upholding our stated ideals as a society

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Random anouncement: I am totally digging this new Pope. The reactions to his 'new' style are quite hilarious.
    Love it. Rebel with a cause.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Love it. Rebel with a cause.
    Well, except now there's this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    From that article:
    The Leadership Conference of Women Religious represents about 57,000 sisters, or 80% of U.S. nuns.
    Change IS happening.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    From that article:

Change IS happening.
    Oh yes it is. You really need to keep the women happy. They now have minds of their own.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/201...OrI/story.html
    An additional motivation for the next pope to make peace with nuns is that those alienated from the church right now are disproportionately women. The statistics on nuns reflect a historic gap in engagement between young Catholic men and young Catholic women: In the 19th and early 20th centuries, three to four times as many women than men entered Catholic religious life in America. Today, as Wittberg noted in America magazine last year, that order has flipped: 1,206 women were in initial formation in 2009, compared with 1,396 men, and the men tend to be younger than the women. Millennial Catholics are the first generation in American history for which women are less likely than their male peers to attend Mass. “I cannot tell you how ominous this is,” Wittberg said, “because if you lose the women, you lose the children.”

The growing conservatism of the Church establishment is increasingly reflected in the makeup of the American sisterhood: As it shrinks, its newcomers are proportionally more conservative. Compared to the relatively progressive LCWR, a smaller, newer, more conservative group called the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious is drawing a roughly equal number of new recruits, and significantly younger ones.
    The new women coming in are more conservative, nuns and lay. That actually scares me more because they are also more astute and politically active, figuring out ways to set back reproductive rights.

My mom almost became a nun. I'm really glad she quit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Obama was pretty goddamn hilarious at the white house correspondents dinner.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/live-...ndents-dinner/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    The new women coming in are more conservative, nuns and lay. That actually scares me more because they are also more astute and politically active, figuring out ways to set back reproductive rights.
    I'm not sure if that's true, or merely perception. I hear similar things about the Belgian catholic Church, yet the only truly conservatives I meet I see in magazines and on the tv. They don't teach catholic religion in any of the schools I've worked in, they're not priests in any of the parishes I know, they don't write the curriculum for catholic religion classes...

I'm not sure if it's not just the media framework.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

I'm not sure if that's true, or merely perception. I hear similar things about the Belgian catholic Church, yet the only truly conservatives I meet I see in magazines and on the tv. They don't teach catholic religion in any of the schools I've worked in, they're not priests in any of the parishes I know, they don't write the curriculum for catholic religion classes...

Perhaps. My personal experience is very much around a progressive Catholic community. However, spending time in Texas recently, I've encountered a whole lot of conservative Catholics that are politically active. I'm stunned some of these folks really don't believe in any form of birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Obama was pretty goddamn hilarious at the white house correspondents dinner.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/live-...ndents-dinner/
    The 99 problems didn't get the laugh it deserved. Wrong audience.
    Last edited by Dra508; 04-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

In Chicago, we have a lot of recently-immigrated Eastern Europeans and Latinos that are very very very conservative Catholic, and that seems to be driving the direction of the church around here.

Re the American nuns: They are very very very disappointed that this new Pope, instead of supporting them, "“reaffirmed the doctrinal evaluation and criticism of U.S. nuns carried out last year by the Vatican under his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI." "The assessment accused the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, an umbrella organization that represents most U.S. female Catholic orders, of promoting “radical feminism” and of ignoring the Vatican’s hard line on same-sex marriage and abortion." That's not progress. http://globalnews.ca/news/481480/gro...ing-crackdown/

Oh well.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    See, that was my point: it is progress. I'm quite sure these women aren't going to calm down and carry on. The base is changing, and I feel we're moving to a breaking point. I'm not sure what will happen, but I do feel western catholicism is in revolt. A typically catholic 'We're just doing whatever the fuck we want' quiet revolt, but it is happening.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A typically catholic 'We're just doing whatever the fuck we want' quiet revolt, but it is happening.
    Couldn't agree more.

You have to remember that change is a slow process in the Catholic Church. And I mean "slow" the way TR means "soon", if not even more pronounced. After all, it did take what, two thousand years to the Church to admit that the Jews aren't so bad after all?

Slooooooooow.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

But don't the men control nearly ALL religions with a few exceptions? These nuns are being told to STFU and the church may excommunicate them if they don't fall in line. The "progress" the nuns had hoped for was a friend in the Pope who'd understand that they are just like him: concerned about the poor and the hungry. But now he's affirming the smack down of these "radical feminists."

Here in the U.S., the Catholic Church has lost so many parishioners that churches are closing and TV ads are running, saying "come home to the Catholic Church."
    Last edited by allegro; 04-29-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You're forgetting that the Catholic Church already had one great big revolution: it's called protestantism. I'm not opposed to the idea of a new schisma. Women have been part of the church's progressive spirituality from the get-go, and I'm sure they'll drive the motor of change now. Whatever that change is.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You're forgetting that the Catholic Church already had one great big revolution: it's called protestantism. I'm not opposed to the idea of a new schisma. Women have been part of the church's progressive spirituality from the get-go, and I'm sure they'll drive the motor of change now. Whatever that change is.
    Hmmm, yeah, true, that's an interesting angle. We already have Episcopalians, though (Catholic Light haha).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    There are progressive movements amongst the protestant churches as well, but it's easier for them to reform because there's no central hierarchy. But you know, I'm hopeful.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I find it absolutely insane that people want/expect the church to change... and this is coming from someone who enjoys arguing on the internet.

I mean, its the fucking church! That shit is basically written in stone. Religion isn't exactly known for change. Why don't people just write that shit off and make a new religion that works the way they want?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

You mean like Martin Luther? :-)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You mean like Martin Luther? :-)
    Yeah! It's been 500 years since that dude. Though, might as well get creative if you are going to go through the trouble of making a new one. Orgies for Jesus!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    How 'bout these guys?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oh yeah! Have they built their clone army yet?

Aum Shinrikyo are pretty mental as well

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Religion isn't exactly known for change.
    Yeah, and you're not exactly know for brains.

REALLY?! This is a very not comprehensive list of new religious movements (and that's just the last century or so): educate yourself

edit: Yes, this is a bitchy reply. I'm just sick and tired of people who otherwise fall over eachother praising science and rationalism spouting lazy opinions on religion based on incorrect facts and their own bias.
    Last edited by Elke; 04-30-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: I'm actually a nice person.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yeah, and you're not exactly know for brains.

REALLY?! This is a very not comprehensive list of new religious movements (and that's just the last century or so): educate yourself

edit: Yes, this is a bitchy reply. I'm just sick and tired of people who otherwise fall over eachother praising science and rationalism spouting lazy opinions on religion based on incorrect facts and their own bias.
    That's not change. That's creation. I don't think anyone is asking the fucking pope to create a new religion. They are asking him to change an existing one. The last sentence in my post that you quoted specifically tells people to create a new religion but you have nothing to argue about if you were to include that...