Page 87 of 156 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Since I've given up on the idea of us actually discussing the whole LGBTQ aspect of what happened entirely...
    I would very much like to hear from gay people about what they're feeling, how they feel this affects the climate of homosexual and transgender issues in respect to the other issues that you feel are stealing the spotlight.

To be fair, I posted something like 40 links on the previous page that were focused on gay feelings and responses to what has happened.

At the same time, I'm not gay, so it's hard for me to have this discussion, and I have to admit that. I don't want to feel like I'm pandering or disingenuous. I was hanging out with a gay friend of mine the day after this happened, and I was talking about other things, I was hoping to take his mind off things that were tearing him to pieces. At a point he snapped and said "you want to talk about anything but THIS!"

I felt ashamed... but I didn't know what to say. I found myself lamely offering "it's awful." He laughed, not in my face, but in response to how lame I was in that respect. I felt I deserved that, but I didn't know what to do or say.

I can't pretend to understand completely. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to listen. But I do not mean to distract, as much as I still feel there are other things to discuss at the same time. This digs into the core of so many things that are wrong with this country.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    All of us have been affected by gun violence in some way. We know the guy who was the professor at the Northern Illinois University shooting where some disturbed grad student barged in and started shooting students in the class and shot the professor, too. Those first-graders at Sandy Hook. That Congresswoman. The brother of the ETS member. A club full of hundreds of concert attendees in France. A church full of black prayer group attendees. A club full of LGBT people out having a relaxing evening. A 3-yr-old sitting in her living room in Chicago. Ultimately, it was all hate and violence that caused it, not the guns themselves. But trying to keep guns out of the wrong hands is a start, because I don't know that we can ever stop hate or religion.

I know that this is bringing solidarity and love; that is certainly worthwhile.

I just hope this country isn't becoming so accustomed to mass shootings that we are jaded and that someday soon this will barely be news.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I used to have a 9mm semi-automatic that held 9 rounds, there is no reason for 30 rounds unless you want to play Rambo.
    Go look at the Seattle shooting video I posted above. That girl got hit with ~9 balls of shot the size of ~9mm. Yet, she just sort of wandered around. No pretend she is someone intent on fucking you up and you are the one with the gun. Think you might want a little more than just 9 of those 9mm rounds?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I think @allegro called it out for what it is though.. it seems to me like a dick extension. Maybe you say to people who ask why this form of gun is showing up as so popular in mass shootings is because it's just big and scary looking. I'm equally scared of both of the guns in that picture you posted up there. I know they'll both kill the fuck out of me.

My brother is a libertarian, and he likes the guns a lot. I asked him about the AR-15, and why is it such a big deal. This is what he said.

The AR-15 is, in many shooter's opinions, the best (and consequently most popular) rifle design of all time. I'm pretty sure that the AR-15 is the most popular type of rifle sold in the United States today. So that's why they are so upset when outright bans come up. But here's the thing, the AR-15 isn't really much different than any other auto loader out there
    Trust me, he's really into this shit. He thinks there's something super awesome about it that you're not owning up to. But he brings up the point that functionally it's not that different than other "auto loaders" out there. This is a class of gun.

I think you're making a straw man out of the "no more semi autos" stance with your comparison above, just like I think you're underselling the reason people fetishize the AR-15.
    uh... that was literally the exact point being made in the image I posted. And that's exactly why "military grade" is a silly metric to use. There are plenty of guns that are just as capable, if not more, as an AR-15 that have no connection to the military.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    All of us have been affected by gun violence in some way.
    I'd actually be curious to what extent this truth this is. It seems to be growing. We all are certainly connected through ETS to the Paris shootings. For me, a teammate in a game I always play was killed in the San Bernadino shooting. Then there is the IT guy who was killed in Benghazi (yeah, I count that as a similar situation... fucked up ideological driven killing).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Go look at the Seattle shooting video I posted above. That girl got hit with ~9 balls of shot the size of ~9mm. Yet, she just sort of wandered around. No pretend she is someone intent on fucking you up and you are the one with the gun. Think you might want a little more than just 9 of those 9mm rounds?
    Having 30 won't mean shit. 3 shotgun blasts and shit's different. Hell, a few from the .357 and shit's different. This is why we see crime scenes where cops have shot somebody 152 times: "Well, they could have gotten up." Wtf. Yeah, even that chick shot 9 times in Seattle by a 9mm wasn't gonna be full power even though she was technically still "standing." Additional martial arts skills come in handy:

uh... that was literally the exact point being made in the image I posted. And that's exactly why "military grade" is a silly metric to use. There are plenty of guns that are just as capable, if not more, as an AR-15 that have no connection to the military.
    Why do you think Ruger calls that top rifle the "Mini-14?" Because the M14 is full auto and is owned by Colt, but they are still implying what they are implying.

The Mini-14GB model is a semi-automatic variant for police and military use with the additional factory options of a folding paratrooper stock, flash suppressor and a bayonet lug
    Meanwhile, back to the topic of Orlando: I feel so sorry for the survivors of something like that, that is something horrific to live with.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    fucked up ideological driven killing
    If ONLY gun violence was just a matter of ideological radicalism run amok...
    When it comes to the US it seems guns are a magic wand in conflict resolution/prevention and eventually escalation. Oh there are also the cases of "whoopsie-daisy how was that thing loaded ?"
    I really wish only radical nutjobs were the ones whipping out their artillery, that would make things much more simpler, if marginally safer.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Is there someone out there really suggesting that we only ban the AR-15 and no other guns?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I have no idea where it would be most appropriate to post this, so I'll do it here: http://gawker.com/check-your-ticketm...ree-1782209001

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I have no idea where it would be most appropriate to post this, so I'll do it here: http://gawker.com/check-your-ticketm...ree-1782209001
    HOLY CRAP, I have a WHOLE BUNCH of these in my account. Including a SHITLOAD of FREE TICKET vouchers.

THANKS!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I have seven sets personally.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I have seven sets personally.
    I have 17 free sets of tickets (to what, yet, who knows) and 16 discounts ($2.25 each). holy shit.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    None here at ticketmaster.ca because Canada can't have nice things.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I have 17 free sets of tickets (to what, yet, who knows) and 16 discounts ($2.25 each). holy shit.
    It's like Christmas in June. Good for you!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Is there someone out there really suggesting that we only ban the AR-15 and no other guns?
    have you ever read "assault weapon ban" legislation? You live in CA so you have more examples surrounding you than most. It frequently comes down to aesthetics, randomly chosen features, and an attempt to build a list of "the bad guns" in a hilarious way.

You still haven't defined "military grade." But that's ok because its an impossible definition to apply as the filter for unallowable guns in any coherent way.

Having 30 won't mean shit.
    but somehow it means shit if you are on the offensive! ... wut

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    30 *9mm* up against the replicant, dummy.- Quit being so argumentative.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    It's like Christmas in June. Good for you!
    Thanks! Now if only the link to the list of shows applicable for "free tickets" would stop being a dead link.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The gay rights movement knows how to change the culture, not just the law.

This is the shit I am talking about! Fuck your repeat desires for failed law. Culture is where it's at.

"It’s also not clear that gay rights groups will take on gun control. Many gun proponents see gay rights as part and parcel of a broader libertarian cause. Meanwhile, some LGBTQ activists have vigorously embraced gun rights as a way to protect gay lives. The Pink Pistols group, under the slogan “pick on someone your own caliber,” explicitly advocates the exercise of Second Amendment rights for self-protection, especially against hate crimes. The LGBTQ community is highly diverse, and attempts to ally gay rights activists with gun-control proponents may undermine the diversity that defines the movement."

LGBT vs NRA would be amazing to watch, but the NRA would probably win. LGBT + NRA would steamroll stupidity into something that actually advances civil rights while also improving safety.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    HOLY CRAP, I have a WHOLE BUNCH of these in my account. Including a SHITLOAD of FREE TICKET vouchers.

THANKS!!!
    Oh my god... I basically have free tickets for the next decade.
    On some level, this is almost disturbing because it means I have given Ticketmaster WAY too much money

On a side note, I just wanted to ask if an admin could split the discussion about the Pulse shooting to another thread? I imagine we will be talking about this for a while longer, and if any news deserves its own thread it's this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Obviously it does, and this plays into "military grade," where ARMIES are fighting. I'm not sure if you're being coy here or not, but yes, it is obviously an advantage if you're trying to inflict as much damage indiscriminately to as many people as possible. The comparative effectiveness is significantly lost in 99.999999999% of civilian self-defense arguments.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    re: ticketmaster
    Is there something specific I should search my e-mail (including spam) for? I'm not seeing anything, and have surely purchased enough tickets to be getting SOMETHING. I don't have any e-mails about this, as far as I can tell.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    check your ticketmaster account; I have some free tickets, not sure where I can use them yet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    re: ticketmaster
    Is there something specific I should search my e-mail (including spam) for? I'm not seeing anything, and have surely purchased enough tickets to be getting SOMETHING. I don't have any e-mails about this, as far as I can tell.
    There is no email.

Per the above link, log in to Ticketmaster, go to "[your name]'s Account (upper right, to the left of HELP), on the MY ACCOUNT page see VOUCHERS on bottom left and click on “Active Vouchers"

Or, easiest method, per the Settlement site, you can log in and check vouchers this way.

Oh my god... I basically have free tickets for the next decade.
    On some level, this is almost disturbing because it means I have given Ticketmaster WAY too much money
    Yup, same here. Fuck Ticketmaster. These free tickets better not only be applicable to Monster Trucks XVII.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I've got a total of 9 pairs of tickets which is awesome, but from what I understand it could take upwards of the year for them to determine what shows are available, and those shows will only have about 100 pairs of tickets available for those who have vouchers. Even when they lose a lawsuit they find a way to screw us.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    These free tickets better not only be applicable to Monster Trucks XVII.
    But just think of how many of these shows you could go see because KIDS SEATS ARE STILL JUST TEN BUUUCKS.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    But just think of how many of these shows you could go see because KIDS SEATS ARE STILL JUST TEN BUUUCKS.
    Honestly though I went to a monster jam once and it was honestly one of the most fun experiences of ever had my life. If you guys ever have a chance use one of your vouchers and go, it's actually pretty sweet and not nearly as hillbilly as you would think!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Honestly though I went to a monster jam once and it was honestly one of the most fun experiences of ever had my life. If you guys ever have a chance use one of your vouchers and go, it's actually pretty sweet and not nearly as hillbilly as you would think!!
    I went to a Monster Trucks thing, once, too, and I didn't realize HOW FUCKING LOUD IT WOULD BE. JESUS CHRIST I think I lost half my hearing for life, it made a Ministry show seem like a church service.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    i went to a monster trucks thing, once, too, and i didn't realize how fucking loud it would be. Jesus christ i think i lost half my hearing for life, it made a ministry show seem like a church service.
    its so good!!!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I have zero vouchers. That means my complete hate for ticketmaster has guided me appropriately.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I have zero vouchers. That means my complete hate for ticketmaster has guided me appropriately.
    Well, I just checked my ticketbastard account and ALL my free tickets are gone now. Seems about right.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Well, I just checked my ticketbastard account and ALL my free tickets are gone now. Seems about right.
    I just checked mine as well. This is bullshit.

Sorry Ticketmaster, but you said I had tickets as vouchers, and you said they didn't expire until 2020. I don't believe this is legal...