Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Well, that's not the whole story.

Even Trump laid into him.

See also this.

More importantly, see this article:
    I'll absolutely agree that there are many approaches to preventing the situation, but to say that "the major reason" is a lack of govt price fixing in a situation that was supported by existing govt regulation... well, that's just broken. You might as well say the other following things are major reasons for the situation: the govt isn't manufacturing the drugs and giving them to the people, we don't have a modern day Robin Hood literally stealing the drugs and giving it to those in need, we still don't have a cure for AIDS, etc etc... I get that the author really likes the idea of govt price fixing, but come on.

Of all the possible options of fixing this situation, US reciprocity in drug approval between other countries seems like an incredibly easy one. It also seems to have the least amount of negatives, as is typical with anything that increases competition.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I really hope that this totally bankrupts VW.
    The VW situation is really interesting.

- The majority of the buyers aren't able to explain the difference between fuel economy and emissions. They just buy an "eco car" and think they are saving the world. It's very likely that the fix to reducing emissions (if done via software) will result in WORSE gas mileage. The reaction from owners is going to be fun to watch in that situation.

- There is a decent chance that this is not an isolated incident. I think there is a decent chance that there are some other cars coming from the factory like this. Of course, there are a lot of owners doing this very thing to their own cars.

- I really want to know how VW did it. Was it as simple as handing a bunch of cars for emissions testing with a certain tuning while shipping something different to customers? If so, that means that this whole thing would have come out in ~6 years when every single one of these cars started going through emissions tests and failing. Otherwise, it means VW is using a clever way to detect when a car is being tested for emissions and then switching the tuning (detecting the parking brake or something attached the the computer harness, etc).

- What the hell was the actual gain to VW here? I can't imagine it being anywhere near enough to compensate for the risk they were running. Unless there is some history for this kind of deception being "normal" enough that it wasn't a concern.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 09-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I'll absolutely agree that there are many approaches to preventing the situation, but to say that "the major reason" is a lack of govt price fixing in a situation that was supported by existing govt regulation... well, that's just broken. You might as well say the other following things are major reasons for the situation: the govt isn't manufacturing the drugs and giving them to the people, we don't have a modern day Robin Hood literally stealing the drugs and giving it to those in need, we still don't have a cure for AIDS, etc etc... I get that the author really likes the idea of govt price fixing, but come on.

Of all the possible options of fixing this situation, US reciprocity in drug approval between other countries seems like an incredibly easy one. It also seems to have the least amount of negatives, as is typical with anything that increases competition.
    Govenrnment regulations do not cause the high price. That is a load of shit that a few of my docs and my patent prof said is a load of shit, as is blaming lawsuits. ALL products have R&D of some level. Shampoo is tested but costs me 3 bucks. Big pharm is charging what the market will pay, plain and simple. Negotiating for a lower price is the norm and is part of capitalism, as is safety and product testing (other countries require this, too) . This country is just INFAMOUS for its LACK OF bartering. If bartering with other countries makes sense (and THEY have set price limits based on what is reasonable and customary), then the US conducting the exact same practice and not sending citizens to other countries makes more sense.

I believe what happened re VW is that most states that still test emissions no longer use the old stick-a-tester-up-the-tailpipe method while the car is on a treadmill but, instead, hook into the vehicle's own emission system (and if the VW system had software that lied, nobody would ever know). However, a few states still DO the treadmill method (IL, for instance) and those cars, which did not have to be tested until the car was more than 4 years old, consisteny failed the tests, and SO MANY cars failed that a Class Action suit was filed, and then the Feds were brought in to investigate. Another Class Action suit has since been filed.

See this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...uits/72604396/

What did VW have to gain? Cost savings, of course. It has already admitted same, and its CEO has resigned.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Govenrment regulations do not cause the high price. That is a load of shit that a few of my docs and my patent prof said is a load of shit, as is blaming lawsuits. ALL products have R&D of some level. Shampoo is tested but costs me 3 bucks. Big pharm is charging what the market will pay, plain and simple. Negotiating for a lower price is the norm and is part of capitalism, as is safety and product testing (other countries require this, too) . This country is just INFAMOUS for its LACK OF bartering.
    Then what is preventing any other company from offering the drug in the US?
    For once we actually don't have government protected monopoly in the name of patents, so it should be relatively easy for someone else to bring it to market, right? Well, we have govt regulation that blocks our ability to obtain the drug from overseas. Nobody would buy a $750 pill when you can get it for pennies overseas. How about domestic production? Well, the FDA makes it a painfully slow process to spin up a generic for sale. So, that's more govt regulation.

Non govt reasons might include the lack of demand for the drug, but with high prices, that could help offset the demand issue.

I get that the insurance companies are primarily being gamed here (while it is a minority of users paying out of pocket), and that's certainly why this guy thought to jack up the prices. That's really only possible if you are a monopoly though.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    For once we actually don't have government protected monopoly in the name of patents, so it should be relatively easy for someone else to bring it to market, right? Well, we have govt regulation that blocks our ability to obtain the drug from overseas. Nobody would buy a $750 pill when you can get it for pennies overseas. How about domestic production? Well, the FDA makes it a painfully slow process to spin up a generic for sale. So, that's more govt regulation.

Non govt reasons might include the lack of demand for the drug, but with high prices, that could help offset the demand issue.

I get that the insurance companies are primarily being gamed here (while it is a minority of users paying out of pocket), and that's certainly why this guy thought to jack up the prices. That's really only possible if you are a monopoly though.
    We DO have the drug in the U.S. and many of the ins companies are paying that high price. You are nuts if you think that "nobody" will pay a huge price for drugs if they can get it cheap overseas. Currently, most cannot legally get drugs overseas, and they need drugs like Humira and Cadillac insurance pays for it but with an annual cap and lifetime cap. Humira costs an average of $4,500 per dose. A "monopoly" is if you hold the patent to that drug and currently a lot of these expensive drugs are not LEGALLY obtainable overseas and with drugs like Humira, special handling is required, it has to be refrigerated, etc. (it's a biotech).

If that company holds the PATENT to that drug, no other company has that drug and there is no generic form until the patent expires. If it is a life-saving drug, the company cannot unreasonably withhold the drug. But they hold patents. See also evergreening. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreening
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    We DO have the drug in the U.S. and many of the ins companies are paying that high price.
    right, im talking about the number of suppliers though. There is only one company making the drug in the US. That gives unfair control over pricing. The monopoly exists, in part, because of govt import restrictions and because of the govt barrier to entry for domestic suppliers.

editing for your edit:

You are nuts if you think that "nobody" will pay a huge price for drugs if they can get it cheap overseas. Currently, most cannot legally get drugs overseas, and they need drugs like Humira and Cadillac insurance pays for it but with an annual cap and lifetime cap. Humira costs an average of $4,500 per dose. A "monopoly" is if you hold the Patent to that drug and currently a lot of these expensive drugs are not LEGALLY obtainable overseas and with drugs like Humira, special handling is required, it has to be refrigerated, etc. (it's a biotech).

If that company holds the PATENT to that drug, no other company has that drug and there is no generic form until the patent expires. If it is a life-saving drug, the company cannot unreasonably withhold the drug. But they hold patents. See also evergreening. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreening
    The legal import barrier is EXACTLY one of the things I am pointing at. That should go away! Who would pay $750/pill for something if they could get it overseas for 50 cents? The weird people who always want the brand name?

Patents are certainly an issue, but the "$750 aids pill" is not protected by patent right now.

If you are the only game in town and govt blocks imports and makes it very hard to do domestic production... that's an effective monopoly.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 09-27-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Look, what would FIX that would be making the BIGGEST Rx buyer, the US GOVERNMENT (Medicare) able to fix prices it will pay for prescriptions, just like EVERY OTHER COUNTRY where the prescriptions are cheaper. It's WHY those prescriptions are cheaper in other countries!!! The U.S. government already does it with cost of services with Medicare and Medicaid and the VA. If they do it with presciptions, EVERYBODY ELSE here will pay the cheaper price. In fact, the US could base their negotiated price on the prices that OTHER COUNTRIES are paying.

Re Daraprim, see this: http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9373557...petitor-turing

See also this: http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9366721...shkreli-turing
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The VW scandal makes me want to buy one of their diesels even more. By all accounts they're fun and well put together, the fact that they effectively stuck their thumb in the eyes of the stupid Eco/green crowd makes it even better.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah and I hope the shareholders enjoy the billion dollars in fines. Such fun when those stock prices drop a ton! Weeeeee what a great idea!! Lies really drop stock prices, world-wide!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have no doubt that there will be fines aplenty, in fact everything I'm reading is that it should blow the GM Cobalt's fines out of the water because bad emissions and being mean to nature is sooooo much worse than lives being lost and put at risk. It's a sad state of affairs, but the EPA witch hunt must continue.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    VW will likely settle, just like GM did, for a sum WAY lower but punitive. The U.S. doesn't buy NEARLY as many diesel cars as Europe, so THAT is where this is really gonna cost them. It isn't even totally about emissions; it's about everybody else following the rules but VW cheated. Even the other car companies would want to see the cheater punished. Rules are there for everybody to follow, not for a company to cheat to make more profit than the other companies and fuck its competition.

Switzerland has already halted sales.

Meanwhile, the only time I'd own a diesel is on my boat.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I believe what happened re VW is that most states that still test emissions no longer use the old stick-a-tester-up-the-tailpipe method while the car is on a treadmill but, instead, hook into the vehicle's own emission system (and if the VW system had software that lied, nobody would ever know).
    Yep, the problem is with the firmware programming for the engine control unit itself (manufactured by Bosch). The vehicles (ECU specifically) are able to tell when emissions tests are being conducted, and the car activates "additional" emissions control systems not normally active in day-to-day use (defeat device).

From my understanding this affects all Volkswagen 2.0 TDI's. Does this mean that Audi, SEAT, and Škoda are a part of this as well?

EDIT: To be clear on an above point, Bosch has gone on record and stated it's up to the individual manufacturers to make sure the ECU's are equipped/programmed properly.
    Last edited by Jon; 09-27-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yep, the problem is with the firmware programming for the engine control unit itself (manufactured by Bosch). The vehicles (ECU specifically) are able to tell when emissions tests are being conducted, and the car activates "additional" emissions control systems not normally active in day-to-day use (defeat device).

From my understanding this affects all Volkswagen 2.0 TDI's. Does this mean that Audi, SEAT, and Škoda are a part of this as well?
    I have read that the Audi A3 is involved in the US (2009 - 2013). Germany is launching own investigation.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    The VW scandal makes me want to buy one of their diesels even more. By all accounts they're fun and well put together, the fact that they effectively stuck their thumb in the eyes of the stupid Eco/green crowd makes it even better.
    NYT estimates 106 Americans died as a result of the deception.
    Last edited by botley; 09-29-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a load of horseshit. I'll go ahead and stick with real deaths versus magic make believe ones.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    That's a load of horseshit. I'll go ahead and stick with real deaths versus magic make believe ones.
    So are you saying the people who died as a result of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthmatic reactions caused by nitrogen oxides and ground-level ozone emitted by cars... aren't really dead? That those 3.3 million people killed every year by these pollutants are just a fantasy of conspirators? Are you disputing the peer-reviewed science of that paper, questioning the Times reporters' methodology in calculating VW's share in that statistic, or just going by your emotional feeling on this matter?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    what is it with germans and gas any way?

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    This whole thing with Russia preparing to act unilaterally in Syria has me a little nervous.
    WHile i'm at it, so does the saber rattling going on between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I hope that we can avoid Prepare For Assault: World War Three in our collective lifetime.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This whole thing with Russia preparing to act unilaterally in Syria has me a little nervous.
    WHile i'm at it, so does the saber rattling going on between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I hope that we can avoid Prepare For Assault: World War Three in our collective lifetime.
    1. As much as al-Assad is a total dickhead, Russia is trying to PREVENT Syria from becoming the power-vacuum that Iraq became after we took out Hussein (you know, the guy we armed during the Iran-Iraq War?), and then ISIS could totally take over.

2. Iran's Muslims can't do much to Saudi Arabia, because Saudi Arabia contains Mecca. Iran can be angry at Saudi rulers but they can't attack Saudi Arabia because they would be attacking Mecca.

3. None of this has anything to do with us. Unless of course you're like my 77-year-old mother, sitting at home worrying that she needs a "taser or a gun" because the small Chicago Executive Airport is visible from her condo window and ISIS might attack that airport and then suddenly come attack her 5-story condo building and then she will need some kind of defense against ISIS. Honest to God, she has worried about this and wanted me to help her build some kind of defense system. Because that's what 77-yr-olds with no lives worry about. She has a bigger chance of being hijacked in her car by a gang member. But I won't tell her that, because then she'll want a concealed carry license and an AK47. And then she'll probably accidentally shoot herself in the head.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-29-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    First Russian airstikes today near Homs. Russia asked that US planes stay the fuck out of the area.

Saudi Arabia is pissed and has invoked military option to remove al-Assad.
    We're getting to a point where there are too many players involved with different interests.

I agree with Allegro that Russia is protecting its interests in Syria. They have no desire to see Syria become the next Iraq. However, there are too many countries that want to see al-Assad gone.
    Look at Saudi Arabia who is unilaterally attacking Yemen. Will they do the same in Syria? Doubtful. However, they could work out a deal with the US.

This is getting more complex every day.

**EDIT**

Reports are suggesting that Russian airstrikes ended up targetting anti-Assad groups and not ISIS.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 09-30-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    First Russian airstikes today near Homs. Russia asked that US planes stay the fuck out of the area.

I agree with Allegro that Russia is protecting its interests in Syria. They have no desire to see Syria become the next Iraq. However, there are too many countries that want to see al-Assad gone.

Reports are suggesting that Russian airstrikes ended up targetting anti-Assad groups and not ISIS.
    But of course. LOL.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/30/9423229...ing-isis-syria
    Last edited by allegro; 09-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Not only was it not ISIS, Russia attacked CIA-backed rebels according to US officials.

So to recap, US and coalition are arming Kurds and moderate rebels in Syria.
    US is attacking ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
    Turkey is attacking ISIS in Syria and the Kurds in Iraq.
    Syria is attacking ISIS and moderate rebels in Syria.
    Russia is attacking moderate rebels backed by the US in Syria. They will most likely attack ISIS down the road as well.
    SA is attacking Yemen.
    Iran is trying to send arms to Hezbollah in Yemen.

Am I forgetting anyone? Oh right China is allegedly sending warships in the region.

What the fuck can go wrong at this point?
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 10-01-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense
    Expressed in dollars and cents,
    Pounds, shillings and pence
    Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense
    (Waters, Perfect Sense part 2)

And for something completely different, web which combines random headlines with random pictures and often makes me laugh: Beautiful news (google translate, again).

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    oh yeah, jesus, this COULD turn into something pretty fucking nasty.

Russia and Iran in a coalition that will likely be joined by China, supporting Assad, and opposed by the west...

it doesnt matter if supporting Assad is the right idea or not. What concerns me is a possible conflict with global implications.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Vox article I linked up there says that it appears that Putin's chess game: the world will ultimately have to choose what is worse in Syria: ISIS or al-Assad, because in the end that's all that will remain in Syria.

Oh and China doesn't have much of a Navy so who cares. That is probably a load of crap, anyway.

The Chicago Trib had an article yesterday about how "Middle East Experts" (cough) are rating Obama as being "too passive." Bullshit, why go fight in yet another battle that is totally un-winnable, open a giant power vacuum and expose it to ISIS, and lose American lives and trillions of dollars in an area that does not threaten the U.S.? Just so we can pound our chests and not look like a pussy compared to Putin? What a bunch of shit.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-01-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    http://ktla.com/2015/10/01/active-sh...regon-college/

Another fucking shooting. I pray there is an error with the number of people reported killed.

Fuck guns and the NRA. How many more shootings do we need for people to wake up.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    @allegro , i think that it is going to take some diplomatic brinksmanship to keep this from turning into World War III.
    China's military is no joke, and i am fairly certain that they will side with Russia in any escalation.

I definitely agree with you that we should stay the fuck out of it.

I know you have a couple of years on me when it comes to watching world affairs and conflicts, especially with me having spent the 00's in a fairly perpetual state of blackout drunkenness, and you know that i look up to you.

Am i being Chicken Little again in fearing that this could turn into a global conflict?

if it does, it will be a whole new ballgame. This time around, our potential enemies have the ability to attack the continental US. This ain't the 40's.

What was it that Einstein said about world war 4? He said something like "i don't know exactly what WW3 will be like, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and rocks."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Actually, relatively speaking, China's military is not that great. They mostly "fight" via modern technology, espionage, etc. Since China's main concern (as I have mentioned here before, I took a Grad school course on China, taught by a guy FROM China with a Ph.D from Harvard who was in China during the Tiananmen Square protests) is China and that's it, it doesn't care about any other countries and it is not an imperialistic country; it only cares about countries trying to hurt or affect China. It will primarily use its military for defense purposes, not offense. Japan's military is way bigger than China's. See also China's ancient concept of Tianxia ("CHEE-en-shaw")

Obama has already spoken with Putin and to al-Assad (and Xi Jinping was here at the White House just last week), so any "diplomatic" efforts have already been taken; this conflict will stay in that area. If we try to provide relief to Muslim refugees, it shows that we are at least attempting to assist Muslims and aren't all a bunch of xenophobes. There is no reason for anyone in that conflict to *want* to attack to the continental U.S. unless it planned to take us over (e.g. Japan in WWII) which is an issue outside of the current issue in Syria. Al-Assad has no such plans. ISIS has made those plans clear since its inception, but ISIS has not taken over Syria, or any other country for that matter -- SO FAR -- and our invading Syria would not stop ISIS from doing anything, and ISIS isn't a country, it's a terrorist organization. World Wars are fought between countries and governments.

I saw an interesting TV special last week about terrorism, and how prevalent it was during the *70s*, world-wide, and it made me realize how people, now, forget just how MUCH terrorism we had back then.

For instance, the massacre at the Munich Olympics in 1972

And all of those IRA bombings in London, etc. etc.

Terrorists do stuff because they "send a message" because they are otherwise powerless and feel weak against what they feel are "oppressors." If we are acting like "oppressors," then we make ourselves possible targets for terrorists. In the 70s, it wasn't just foreign terrorists that harmed us, we also had domestic groups like The Weather Underground bombing buildings and stuff, like this stuff, and this stuff.

Amazingly, during an 18-month period in 1971 and 1972, the F.B.I. counted more than 1,800 domestic bombings, almost five a day.
    I recorded the 3-part special this week about the Frontline journalist whose brother was killed on the Lockerbie plane, who tracked down the guy who built the bomb (there was an *excellent* piece about this in the New Yorker, recently).
    Last edited by allegro; 10-02-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Iran is sending boots in Syria. They will join forces with Lebanese Hezbollah for ground offensive supported by Russian airstrikes.

Lots of movement in a short span of time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is really big, this is the first war Russia has been involved with outside its former Soviet sphere since the Afghanistan Invasion in 1979.
    I would not trust Putin under any circumstances, he is not much different to Tony Soprano but im curious as to why after nearly 5 years Putin has suddenly decided to intervene.
    As awful as it sounds i still think it would be worse to get rid of Assad. Look at the state of Iraq or Afghanistan or Libya.
    I think most Western Countries now reluctantly agree the transition from Assad needs to be slow. His regime is awful and needs to go, but i think the West needs to learn from past mistakes how to go about this.