Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    will there be a terror attack today?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/04/us...offenders.html

This is great. Keep not giving a shit, Obama.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Wake me up when he ends the war on drugs.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Progress happens in steps.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    That title got my hopes up. I expected way more than "dozens."

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, 80 out of the 30,000 who applied for clemency is a joke.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah. Progress comes in small steps, which can be frustrating. But it sounds like this is a case of just backlogged paperwork and reviewing. This is at least a very welcomed starting point!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    every time i watch an investigative program like Frontline, i am shocked by all of the shit that HASN'T been in the headlines.

For instance, this morning i learned about the extent of the attrocities committed by Assad's regime in Syria.
    Remember when the rallying cry against Saddam was that "he used chemical weapons on his own people!" ? Or those WMDs in Iraq?
    Well Syria can do it all day long but we don't give a shit because they don't have any resources that we wish to control.

How the fuck did i wind up on this planet?

Sorry about the drifty rant. I'll shut up now.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well Syria can do it all day long but we don't give a shit because they don't have any resources that we wish to control.
    Well, Desert Storm was when Saddam was exterminating the Kurds. And we came in, used Star Trek shit from the sky, and split. And, technically, a bunch of Republicans have wanted to help Syria for a long time, but most Democrats have been opposed. John McCain, for instance, has been accusing Obama of ignoring Syria and accusing Obama of the reason why there is now a power vacuum and it's a hotbed for terrorists. As we've discussed in another thread, the whole reason why we invaded Iraq after 9-11 was not because of resources but because Americans wanted a scapegoat for 9-11, and Bush, Ashcroft and Cheney (the Axis of Evil) chose Saddam and Iraq as that scapegoat in order to take the heat off of themselves for not "doing anything" and to also mobilize nationalism. Obviously, we got zero resources from Iraq. We ended up destroying a shitload of their resources and killing a shitload of their people, then they kicked us out.

Anyway, drift = off.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-06-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    For instance, this morning i learned about the extent of the attrocities committed by Assad's regime in Syria.
    Yeah, but the sad thing is that he is still lesser of two evils in Syria.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Yeah, but the sad thing is that he is still lesser of two evils in Syria.
    i damn sure dont disagree with that. Assad makes a strange bedfellow.

you guys should watch that frontline called Obama At War.
    I am generally a pacifist, but i think we made a mistake.

Back to the election...i just saw on the news that bernie sanders is being considered a "serious candidate" now. He raised 15 million, and 90% of it came from $250 donations.

Of course, i still don't think he has a chance.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/U...311771951.html

A 17 year old, 15 year old, and TWELVE year old are all wanted on first degree murder charges.

The gun violence in Omaha is fucking crazy for how small of a town it is.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Yeah. Progress comes in small steps, which can be frustrating. But it sounds like this is a case of just backlogged paperwork and reviewing. This is at least a very welcomed starting point!
    I'm more than happy to give credit when awesome shit happens. If we start seeing thousands released, I'll be all over it. Right now, it feels more like half-assed grandstanding... exploitation even. If it's as simple as backlogged paperwork, we just have to wait for it to happen. I really hope that's the case.

edit: I just dislike that he is being praised like Danyreas Targaryen after freeing less people than are probably responsible for making his lunch and doing his laundry.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 07-06-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/living...pStoryGallLink

HOLY SHIT. HahahahahHAHAHA.

Paula Deen is in trouble again. This time because a photo of her son in... brownface got posted to her social media.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/living...pStoryGallLink

HOLY SHIT. HahahahahHAHAHA.

Paula Deen is in trouble again. This time because a photo of her son in... brownface got posted to her social media.
    Of course Paula Deen doesn't get it...

Did you guys see the way that she originally tried to manage damage control after the initial allegations?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10368742.html

For killing 4 people under influence you sentence people to rehab, but for consensual sex with 17 years boys 22 years of prison. Only in 'Murica

Ironically this woman would probably need some form of treatment way more than some rich spoiled cocksucker
    Last edited by telee.kom; 07-09-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    There seems to be a lack of communication between world governments on how to approach Syria, its shocking how little has been achieved. this shit has been going on for nearly 5 years. what the hell is the point in the U.N?
    Im shocked at the ineptitude of these world organisations over the past year, with regards to Russia too. They dont seem to be getting anything done.
    I really feel U.S, Britain, France, China etc could be doing more in Syria (and Iraq). I dont really know what Obama is doing he is in a horrible position, but i dont feel his approach has been strong enough.
    But yeah as awful as it sounds i think a Syria without Assad would be way worse.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Someone had to profit from the recent "Yes means Yes" law.

A Florida-based company is now selling "Consent Conscious Kit", which includes a breath mints, a condom, a pen and a consent form.
    They are sold for $2.99 + shipping.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Domestic terrorism attack in Chattanooga.

They didn't waste any time calling this domestic terrorism. 4 marines were killed in addition to the gunman.

Edit--

Gunman is Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez
    Cue the right-wing commentators in 3 ..2 ..1
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 07-16-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Angela Merkel comforts sobbing refugee but says Germany can't help everyone

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...seeker-germany

People are criticizing her for this but I think it's a pretty daring move for a politician to face someone and tell them a truth they might want to hear. Can you imagine an American politician doing this?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.politico.eu/article/charl...aeda-mohammad/

I don't blame them one bit. But isn't it sad that this is the result of terrorism? Just in general. I absolutely get it, this shit isn't worth loosing your lives over, they already sacrificed more then they ever should. But it seems they were kinda alone in this. And you can have whatever opinion on Muhammad caricatures, that's not the point. The point is the attack silenced them and that is what's wrong. I think I buy some Muhammad shirt just as sort of my personal protest.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, I guess when I posted that in the Relationship thread earlier that maybe this would be a better spot for it.

Regardless, that looks an awful lot like justice to me.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    http://www.politico.eu/article/charl...aeda-mohammad/

I don't blame them one bit. But isn't it sad that this is the result of terrorism? Just in general. I absolutely get it, this shit isn't worth loosing your lives over, they already sacrificed more then they ever should. But it seems they were kinda alone in this. And you can have whatever opinion on Muhammad caricatures, that's not the point. The point is the attack silenced them and that is what's wrong. I think I buy some Muhammad shirt just as sort of my personal protest.

They're in a very complicated place, more complex than I could articulate actually, but it's not really that they're backing down (although, the magazine was dying long before the attack anyway), it's more like they don't want to be defined by it.

They lost the guys who were truly the spirit of the magazine. Luz, the last survivor, is tired after holding the magazine since then, being treated like a hero, a position he loathes. He's out.
    Charlie now can't be what it once was. All they want is to go back, be a satirical magazine, a stupid paper once again. They can't, because in the public eye they've become some sort of weird symbol, the exact thing against which they've always fought. And they don't want to turn this into a "Charlie VS Muhammad Allah" because it's never been about that.
    That's a last ditch effort to let the dead die, and go back to what the magazine once was. A satirical magazine making fun of all the current social and political topics. Not the fucking herald of secularism, or whatever symbol the people are trying to turn them into.

They're jesters being turned into Joans of Arc. It's not that they're raising the white flag, they're trying to get rid of any flag.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    So I was just browsing the headlines today on my lunch break, and was shocked to discover that my dentist is some kind of infamous lion killer who might be in trouble now for killing one illegally. Apparently he's one of those sociopathic 'big game hunter' types who poses for pictures with his kill right before he cuts their head off, travelling around the world and shit. It's hard to describe how surreal it is for me to read this article. I just keep staring at those pics and thinking "Dear god, I know that man. That's my dentist. That's my fucking dentist! What the fuuuuuuuck!??!!!!!??????"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-dentist.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    So I was just browsing the headlines today on my lunch break, and was shocked to discover that my dentist is some kind of infamous lion killer who might be in trouble now for killing one illegally.
    Hopefully, it will totally wreck his dental practice.

People are trying, here.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    of course he's a sociopath, he's a dentist.
    But yeah, I think you're going to have to look for a new one soon. This scandal is blowing up pretty big.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm seeing people on my Facebook friendlist calling for this guy to be murdered. He's not going back to that surgery any time soon. Nor likely his home, for that matter.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah. Lolol. I'll never understand the people who are like OMFG HE SHOULD BE SHOT IN THE FACE. Like, chill.

I don't have a problem with regular hunting where the animal is processed and used. I don't like this "big game" shit where it is just for show and/or trophies. But I also don't think he deserves to DIE over it. I think he's a shitty dude. But there are lots of shitty dudes in the world.