Page 61 of 156 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 4665

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Like what? Amazonian army ants?
    maybe. that's my point.
    give me some fucking justification as to WHY the military needs to coordinate with local police forces and practice spying on and killing people in my town, and maybe i would support it.

otherwise, this is just more of the police...and the military...doing WHATEVER the fuck they want, WHEREVER the fuck they want, with ZERO accountability.

And if you question them, you are a "conspiracy nut job."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I don't know if you know, but epic douche bag Rick Perry threatened secession pretty regularly while he was governor.

@Dra508 here is an article from D magazine a few years back about the division possibility http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...tates-of-texas
    Thanks. I really should read up on the history. It could explain a lot of the mind set. I assume the school systems teaches state history just like they teach sex Ed. Oh wait. :/. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...e-only-sex-ed/

I believe the Feds should keep keep the state informed of their exercises, but I disagree that the governor should make a federal case out of it. His job is to keep the masses calm.
    Last edited by Dra508; 05-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @Dra508 , texas state history is actually pretty bad ass.

one REALLY weird thing about texas is that it was a blue state until the eighties.
    i wish it still was. people are fucking nuts.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    @Dra508 ,

one REALLY weird thing about texas is that it was a blue state until the eighties.
    Oh I'm very aware.

LBJ and Anne Richards were two well known Texas Dems.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    idk where you are @Dra508 , but texas is a big ass place with a lot of different mind sets.
    in, say, east dallas, the mind set is pretty fucking gangster.
    in austin, it's really hip.
    in el paso it's in spanish.

i don't know what the mindset is in the panhandle where i live because i don't go outside
    i have a feeling that it's not very fucking cool because when i DO have to leave the house, people stare at me like i'm a space alien...and i've been here almost 3 years.

Okay since i've pretty much fucked this thread up spouting ignorant nonsense because i am bored, as i so often do,
    how about a piece of news.

Tsarnaev got the death sentence, but Mass. is REALLY opposed to the death penalty. In fact, it hasn't been used since 1947 i think? But it didn't matter because it was a federal case.

Today i saw in the news that the jurors were REQUIRED to support the death penalty. Is that a little fucked off to anyone else?

Also, according to what he wrote inside that boat, he WANTED to be martyred, right? And some of the family members of the victims DIDN'T want him killed.

Interesting debate.

Here's an interesting story on the mystery of WHY he did it in the first place
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/16/opinio...ery/index.html

it talks about how he was a skateboarding party kid and didn't even seem to really be an observant muslim.

he tweeted this 6 months before the attack. does this sound like the musings of a fundamentalist of ANY religion, much less an extremist?
    it's very strange to me. maybe the kid WAS just misguided, i don't know.

"This night deserves Hennessy a bad bitch and an o [ounce] of weed the holy trinity."

Last edited by elevenism; 05-16-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...id=ansnewsap11

i don't know if you guys are catching this in your neck of the gloom, but 9 people were killed in a shootout between the Bandidos and the Cossacks (who are rumored to be a subsidiary of the Hell's Angels) at a Twin Peaks restaurant in waco texas

170 "motorcycle enthusiasts" have been arrested and charged with organized crime (i think)
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-19-2015 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

i don't know if you guys are catching this in your neck of the gloom, but 9 people were killed in a shootout between the Bandidos and the Cossacks (who are rumored to be a subsidiary of the Hell's Angels) at a Twin Peaks restaurant in waco texas

170 "motorcycle enthusiasts" have been arrested and charged with organized crime (i think)
    Might want to move the discussion to the specific thread because police and media are being called out on this one. I admit, did not make see the parallel. Honestly,, I heard it reported as biker gangs that were predominately Mexican-American and breasteraunt.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...tout-and-race/

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @Dra508 maybe people thought they were mexican because the mc was the bandidos?

to which specific thread are you referring?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Los Angeles Lifts Its Minimum Wage to $15 Per Hour

About fucking time. I'm kinda a little bit in love with my city again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Yeah that shit was like the old west with a bunch of meth-dealing rival biker gang members shooting it out in broad daylight!! Crazy shit!

I guess that Twin Peaks "will never be open again" LOL.

Motorcycle enthusiasts hahaha.

@Dra508 , the Bandidos are not Mexican heh

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandidos_Motorcycle_Club

@elevenism , I think she meant the Ferguson thread although I'm not sure I see NPR's overstretched reach. It was a shootout between rival biker gangs, a bunch were arrested, and of course drug-dealing biker gang members are thugs. They have t-shirts that say that.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    should we make a thread for this one? there will probably be retaliation.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    also, this http://www.salon.com/2015/05/19/welc...s_only_it_can/

this breaks my fucking heart. i saw that obama had started a twitter account and thought it was really cool.

and what he gets is a bunch of assholes calling him a nigger. That shit would really, really hurt my feelings.

Sigh.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah that shit was like the old west with a bunch of meth-dealing rival biker gang members shooting it out in broad daylight!! Crazy shit!

I guess that Twin Peaks "will never be open again" LOL.

Motorcycle enthusiasts hahaha.

@Dra508 , the Bandidos are not Mexican heh

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandidos_Motorcycle_Club

@elevenism , I think she meant the Ferguson thread although I'm not sure I see NPR's overstretched reach. It was a shootout between rival biker gangs, a bunch were arrested, and of course drug-dealing biker gang members are thugs. They have t-shirts that say that.
    I'm not big on Twitter, but i know how impactful it was with Ferguson, for this, lit up with a lot of folks pointing out the differences of how this police action was handled with white folks.

I was pleased to see The NY Times putting up mug shots. If they hadn't, I wonder if they would have been called out. Just reading the online comments there, folks were calling them 'thugs', feeling good about the use of the word when we all know it's become a euphemism.

I know zero about bike gangs so yeah. Honestly, I think thinking it was Mexican came from a really early report on the shooting (prior to national news coverage) so maybe I should call out Texas media

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I'm not big on Twitter, but i know how impactful it was with Ferguson, for this, lit up with a lot of folks pointing out the differences of how this police action was handled with white folks.
    These were about 350 huge fucking armed bikers. People really need to go study up on biker gangs and how fucking scary and dangerous they are. This ain't no "Sons of Anarchy" bullshit. A lot of these guys used to be in the U.S. Military.

A lot of these guys have multiple arrests under their belts, there are murder records within each outlaw biker gang involving rival gang activity, and some of them are on "most wanted" lists so mug shots ain't a big deal. Here's the level of guys we're talking about.

See this, too.

Department of Justice

The Outlaws are big around the Great Lakes area.

The Waco police had kept a consistent and obvious presence at the Twin Peaks restaurant for a while and the bikers didn't care. When the fight broke out, the bikers were SHOOTING AT THE COPS and the cops SHOT BACK AT THE BIKERS.

Did you watch that movie "The Lincoln Lawyer" where he gets his biker gang clients to help him? That was actually awesome, heh.

Have you ever seen this movie "Gimme Shelter" (1970) about Altamont, where the idiot concert promoters made the idiot decision to hire the Hell's Angels as security? (Never mind that the stage was about 2' off the ground, LOL)
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Leaked report profiles military and police members of the motorcycle gang of the Waco shootout.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...orcycle-gangs/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Leaked report profiles military and police members of the motorcycle gang of the Waco shootout.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...orcycle-gangs/
    That whole thing is starting to look like a setup.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    This is wonderful

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    That's freaking hilarious!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    In 1994, SCOTUS denied an appeal by a man sentenced to die. Scalia used that man an an example of the perfect justification for the death penalty. Turns out... that man was innocent.
    http://fee.org/anythingpeaceful/deta...se-falls-apart

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Really? Is this person Kirk Cameron?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is bizarre and kind of funny. The leader of the Spokane chapter of the NAACP has been revealed to be a white woman who has been pretending to be a black woman this whole time. Feels like an Onion article. I guess if a rich white dude from Malibu can identify as a woman then this isn't that off the wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ack-years.html

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    This is bizarre and kind of funny. The leader of the Spokane chapter of the NAACP has been revealed to be a white woman who has been pretending to be a black woman this whole time. Feels like an Onion article. I guess if a rich white dude from Malibu can identify as a woman then this isn't that off the wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ack-years.html
    I don't know what to think of this one, I gather the story is still evolving. I heard that mom outed her (why would she do that?) and she also grew up with several adopted siblings that were black. In typical pop culture fashion, the term, one I hadn't heard of has been trending: transracial?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Trans-racial is an adoption term. Why it's being used in online dialogue about Rachel Dolezal is beyond me, you know, other than being from racist trolls.

Also, comparing this story to Caitlyn Jenner is just dumb logic.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'll never understand why society is so fixated on shit like this. Someone's personal decisions really don't matter, especially when it comes to their identity. I dream of the day things like post-gender, post-race, post-sexual orientation, or post-<identity> are actually possible.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Also, comparing this story to Caitlyn Jenner is just dumb logic.
    I've only seen it compared in the sense that people want to debate whether identity is something you can change and/or something you can deviate from what you were physically born with. I don't see why transgender would be any more "allowable" than transrace. But, it sounds like there are a lot of people who are more agreeable with one than the other. (Most notably are the cisrace blacks). Not like hypocrisy is something new in "national conversations" but I'm always fascinated in the underlying reasons for it. Sometimes you find new perspectives that you hadn't considered or just weren't aware of.

Calling difference in skin color "race" is dumb, but I'm just using the terminology of the conversation.

Edit: and there are certainly people trying to use this to take a stab at transgender people, but I don't think anything about that warrants discussion.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-12-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I'll never understand why society is so fixated on shit like this. Someone's personal decisions really don't matter, especially when it comes to their identity. I dream of the day things like post-gender, post-race, post-sexual orientation, or post-<identity> are actually possible.
    You mean the day when we forget all about historical inequalities, and pretend none of it ever happened, so that white people can fantasize about not having benefited directly from hundreds of years of racism?

You do realize that "cisracial" is an utterly ridiculous made-up term, right? You don't just get to decide you're black, that's a slap in the face to an entire culture, besides being just plain motherfucking stupid.
    Last edited by botley; 06-12-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You mean the day when we forget all about historical inequalities, and pretend none of it ever happened, so that white people can fantasize about not having benefited directly from hundreds of years of racism?
    No, that's not what I mean. Nothing about what I said had anything to do with forgetting the past any more than when MLK talked about the future he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You do realize that "cisracial" is an utterly ridiculous made-up term, right? You don't just get to decide you're black, that's a slap in the face to an entire culture, besides being just plain motherfucking stupid.
    That's basically word for word what many bigots said about "cisgender." It's just empty assertions. Cisgender was also "made up" in the 90's. That doesn't lessen the idea behind the word, despite the insistence of bigots. I've even heard the whole "men deciding they are women is a slap in the face to all the women who have suffered under the oppression of men" angle.

Just because some people DISLIKE something doesn't make it stop existing. I mean, fuck... are we still decades in the past where homosexuality "isn't real" too? I know you've strongly shown how much you don't want us moving beyond the past but... cmon.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    While gender identity or sexual orientation is based (or at least it is believed) on hormones in vulva and other stuff that is happening during pregnancy, when person is born white and identify herself as black person, that's just psychological problem. It's like when people are pretending to be dragons and cats. Yeah it's all fun and games, but no, you are not dragon and you probably need some help. You can't choose your race, you are born into one, end of story.