Page 58 of 156 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I don't know what you're referencing, my dear.

Edit: Oh, wait... That CFMB photo?
    Yes. I love that page so much.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Did I show you that page? Haha.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Naw I found it though one of the 10,000 /b/ themed pages I follow. I think the "4chon" admin runs it actually lol

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Manson, Watson and the women were convicted in the gruesome killings of Tate, the wife of director Roman Polanski, and four others at her estate on Aug. 9, 1969, and grocers Leno and Rosemary LaBianca who were killed the following night.
    Manson is not eligible for parole until 2027. He has been a habitual criminal and spent most of his life in prison.
    Blows my mind that felons can't vote, but they have the right to marriage while incarcerated.
    Charles Mason is a con man full stop. He conned woman similar in age to this woman to kill, I'm not surprised he's conned a person into marrying him. Fuck him.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    President Obama plans to sign an executive order that will grant temporary legal status to millions of illegal immigrants, and ease up on deporting people.

Hell yes.
    This is a long overdue step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    President Obama plans to sign an executive order that will grant temporary legal status to millions of illegal immigrants, and ease up on deporting people.

Hell yes.
    This is a long overdue step in the right direction, in my opinion.
    Not happy with the executive order AT ALL. For one, it should have protected parents of DACA children. By not doing so, families can still be broken up. For two, temporary legal status means shit especially since a Visa can be yanked at any time. And people will still have to apply for residency (which isn't guaranteed) once the temporary status runs out.

I know there are limits to what a POTUS can legally do with an executive order. I think he could have done more.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 11-21-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Not happy with the executive order AT ALL. For one, it should have protected parents of DACA children. By not doing so, families can still be broken up. For two, temporary legal status means shit especially since a Visa can be yanked at any time. Obama should have offered amnesty.
    it's a first step toward reform. The Republicans in the House are already threatening to sue him for this executive order. Evidently, they're forgetting about George H W Bush.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    For two, temporary legal status means shit especially since a Visa can be yanked at any time.
    This. An EO is extremely easy to undo. The next president could easily undo it. So then what happens to all the people who were comfortable communicating their status due to this new protection, only to have it removed in the future? With the laws in place, employers would have to report the re-illegal immigrants.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Obama's infographic for immigration reform includes: "...learn English, and go to the back of the line."
    Like... fucking really? Nobody thought to slightly change the wording on that? Nobody thought about how tone deaf this phrasing is, especially considering the audience?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/imm...gration-action

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The second he said "back of the line" last night, I knew he was gonna try to sell a lemon.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah those have been Paul Ryan Republican requirements all along:

"Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), speaking to local chambers of commerce in San Antonio Thursday, peeled back the curtain on the plans, saying Republicans must help illegal immigrants “come out of the shadows and reintegrate into society.” That would include requiring immigrants learn English, civics, pay taxes and pay a fine — a process that is sure to be decried by opponents as amnesty."
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...#ixzz3Jm9AoUYb

Ryan criticized the Senate proposal as a "special pathway to citizenship" that is unfair to people around the world who have been waiting years to apply and legally enter the USA.

"If you want to get in line to get a green card like any other immigrant, you can do that," Ryan said. "You just have to get at the back of the line so that we preference that legal immigrant who did things right in the first place."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ation/5052407/
    Last edited by allegro; 11-22-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm not sure where to put this, this is random and it's a general news story. Anyways this is by far the coolest gas theft ring I have EVER SEEN. The people took an unregistered van, cut a hole in the center floorboard of it and altered the suspension of it so it would ride flat with a very very heavy load as not to cause suspicion from anyone. They then added over 300 gallons worth of fuel tanks inside of it along with batteries and a super high performance electric powered pump with a long 15-20 foot hose. What they did was they went to a gas station, drove on top of the filling 'manholes' to the tanks and siphoned the gas from INSIDE THE VAN until they were filled up and then drove off without anyone knowing anything was going on. So awesome.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ^ I love these "behind the scenes" of crime things. The DEA used to run this awesome monthly "Microgram" thing that would show you all the crazy shit happening in the drug market. I was so sad when they killed it ~5 years ago. With the online drug markets exploding now, you would see some fascinating stuff if they still ran it.

You can still occasionally find rundowns in other locations, but not as awesome. On the flip side, you now have the black market turning the tables here. THEY are the ones publishing information, but about the various techniques that law enforcement uses to get people. ex: rundowns of how police recover filed off serial numbers (usually on guns) through molecular level aberrations in the metal... and of course that gets turned into a sales pitch with how the vendor protects against it. It really makes me want to get into forensics... do people do that for a hobby?

edit: microgram archive here: https://www.erowid.org/library/periodicals/microgram/

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Not happy with the executive order AT ALL. For one, it should have protected parents of DACA children. By not doing so, families can still be broken up. For two, temporary legal status means shit especially since a Visa can be yanked at any time. And people will still have to apply for residency (which isn't guaranteed) once the temporary status runs out.

I know there are limits to what a POTUS can legally do with an executive order. I think he could have done more.
    oh, trust me, i agree.
    but at least it's SOMETHING, right?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Why write stories about real college campus rape when you can just get a writer to fabricate a more fantastic one? And having sketchy details is just the perfect setting to bait people into questioning facts, then get viciously insulted as deniers.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ders-20141205#

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    With the imminent release of a Senate summary detailing CIA interrogation methods, principals try to head off firestorm.

The U.S. government has warned its personnel and embassies around the world about the potential fallout from the release, with an unnamed senior intelligence official telling Reuters on Monday that the government had “an obligation ... to warn of the heightened potential that the release could stimulate a violent response.”
    This explains the sudden Marines presence in Los Angeles and the cavalcade of huge helicopters that have been circling pretty much non-stop for the past few hours.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I loooove the rebuttals to this report. Am I naive to feel that the ends do not justify the means? I know in 2002 people were freaked, but I thought history (not just American) has proven that torture just doesn't provide the value you'd expect. Sorry, but even asking folks to use these interrogation techniques is just wrong.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Jeb Bush just announced that he will "actively explore" a Presidential run in 2016.
    Exactly what the world has been looking for! Another Bush in in the White House.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Clinton vs Bush 2016. The final nail in the coffin of the public's desire to give a shit about anything. USA becomes a country of concentrated nihilism. Maybe Year Zero 2 will end up being released.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Did Argentina's president adopt a child to prevent it from becoming a werewolf?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...P=share_btn_tw

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Jeb Bush just announced that he will "actively explore" a Presidential run in 2016.
    Exactly what the world has been looking for! Another Bush in in the White House.
    it's like you go to all the trouble of having a republican revolution and getting rid of the monarchy... only to end up ruled by wealthy political dynasties anyway

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    only to end up ruled by wealthy political dynasties anyway
    This country has been ruled by wealthy political dynasties since its inception. They ain't "President," but they're running the country, nonetheless.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Who the hell spanks a tween?! There are so many better ways to punish that age. Just take away her phone or twitter/facebook/instagram/whatapp and watch her start having seizures. This is an ineffective form of punishment. Douche canoes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Who the hell spanks a tween?! There are so many better ways to punish that age. Just take away her phone or twitter/facebook/instagram/whatapp and watch her start having seizures. This is an ineffective form of punishment. Douche canoes.
    I don't think 12 is a Tween, yet. Is it? And 12-year-olds having a phone, egad, do they really? 12? That's 6th grade, how much does that cost? I'm so glad I never had a kid (no offense to people with kids, really), omg, that must cost so much money. Maybe not a smartphone, though, right? Mine cost $30 per month, holy shit, for a 12-year-old? Okay, whatever, grounding is usually the answer, just ask Kate Gosselin.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-06-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    From my understanding, a "tween" is a preteen. So like, 10 - 12.

And yes. They have smartphones. My brother had one when he was still in elementary school.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Omg that's scary stuff wow. And I don't care what parents think, you CAN'T control what they're doing on those phones, so 'grounding' what they do on them, LOL, yeah, right. But, you can take them away, I guess. The phones are good for them calling home for rides or using the GPS in case they're kidnapped.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Things are different these days... I didn't get a cell phone until I was 17, and I didn't get a smartphone until I was 26.
    Then again, cell phones were banned from schools under Illinois law until I was like 16.

And I'm not *that* old, I'm only 29.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    One of the best satirical/political magazines in France has been attacked.

They brought a fucking rocket launcher. The cartoonists killed were legends, I'm at loss for words here...