Page 23 of 156 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Reminds me of this shopping center in Quebec where Muslims complained about Christmas carols playing on the PA system as well as the abundance of Christmas decorations.
    The Alexis Neon Place decided to remove everything that was related to Christmas which obviously offended pretty much everyone else. So they received a fresh set of complaints.

They ended hanging some red umbrellas and a few tinsels but that was it.
    I am absolutely against reasonable accomodations. If you move somewhere, you adapt to their life-style. If you wanna keep praying and practicing your own religion, do it in the comfort of your house.
    "Hope you people like Kwanzaa, because that's ALL YOU'RE GETTING next year!!"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Apparently Kai the Hatchet smasher is accused of smashing someone he shouldn't have...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/justic...html?hpt=hp_c4

Investigators are saying they were possibly lovers. What an odd twist to an already bizarre persons story.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substanceabuse View Post
    Apparently Kai the Hatchet smasher is accused of smashing someone he shouldn't have...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/16/justic...html?hpt=hp_c4

Investigators are saying they were possibly lovers. What an odd twist to an already bizarre persons story.
    I saw that yesterday on Liveleak and I couldn't believe it. So weird ...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

NPR on why the IRS scandal is going to be around for a while and could hurt Obamacare.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...st?ft=1&f=1014

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to put the IRS in charge of enforcing the individual mandate for Obamacare?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

it's the workaround to be Constitutional. see the Obamacare SCOTUS decision

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    it's the workaround to be Constitutional. see the Obamacare SCOTUS decision
    I... never actually knew that. I'm ok with some level of social safety nets. Of course, Obamacare got all kinds of fucked up before it passed and made nobody happy (as all things federal).

So if the one thing that makes Obamacare Constitutional gets pulled... holy fuck! Anyway, I see your new thread. Suppose I'll move this stuff over there since everyone refuses to talk about it here

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Massive tornado on the ground near Wellston, OK. http://kfor.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The first tornado in the area dropped about 10-15 miles from my house. When the storm passed over us, I could see the circulation building in the clouds. Originally the storm was travelling northeast, but it took a hard shift straight east and the chaos began.

When the storm finally passed us, it was a HUGE relief. Tornado sirens blaring like crazy, my wife and kids freaking out...I love severe weather but it can be nerve-wracking at times.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The first tornado in the area dropped about 10-15 miles from my house. When the storm passed over us, I could see the circulation building in the clouds. Originally the storm was travelling northeast, but it took a hard shift straight east and the chaos began.

When the storm finally passed us, it was a HUGE relief. Tornado sirens blaring like crazy, my wife and kids freaking out...I love severe weather but it can be nerve-wracking at times.
    Glad you're safe! I live in Denton, TX and I grew up in Quanah, Tx which is southwest of Lawton, so I've seen my fair share of tornadoes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ...tornadoes have hammered Moore, Oklahoma (suburb of Okc) again just like in 1999. Multiple schools, homes, businesses completely destroyed. No idea how many dead yet. Was an F4 or F5 tornado with a debris field that was two miles wide. Fuck...Fuck Fuck Fuck.

Fuck me can't get in contact with people, kids are trapped in the schools which are completely destroyed, buildings are on fire everywhere. This is fucking tragic goddammit rescuers can't even get to people its so fucking just demolished...FUCK
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 05-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The coverage of these tornadoes in Moore OK = horrifying. I've been living in the Midwest my entire life and tornadoes are a way of life for us, but I've NEVER seen anything like this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    At least 51 confirmed dead so far...and I'm sure that number will climb. A lot of children from plaza towers elementary still not recovered...

I was fucking dumb enough to read the comment section on CNN. I know people are horrible but it's still painful to read. A few people I read even said this was karma for okc getting our nba team from Seattle...Fuckin c'mon...

All my family is safe but a few people I work with have pretty severe damage to their homes. This destruction and death from one tornado is unreal

And thank you @allegro
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 05-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The tornado was reportedly over a mile wide, possibly close to two miles wide. That's incredible. Especially if the tornado maintained reported 200+mph wind speeds throughout its width. That's very rare.

I'm glad your family is safe, @substanceabuse .

This TV coverage is heartbreaking, I keep tearing up watching these poor shocked stunned people. The COURAGE is astounding, especially those elementary school teachers.

Without the early warning systems and shelters (and I guess the school kids still do tornado alarm practice like when I was a kid), there would be a lot more dead.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If what I've read was correct, this tornado had the strongest winds ever recorded near the earth's surface.

Some photos of the damage:

Last edited by hollowed_point; 05-20-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

This thing is HUGE.

This was a subdivision full of homes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh, God, the elementary school coverage is heartbreaking. I guess there are around 20 children who drowned in the school because they were in the basement shelter and it filled with water.

http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/efforts-s...entary-school/
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ugh, God, the elementary school coverage is heartbreaking. I guess there are around 20 children who drowned in the school because they were in the basement shelter and it filled with water.

http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/efforts-s...entary-school/
    I had to take a break from the coverage earlier because I could feel my heart just dropping. We knew earlier that these children were unaccounted for and things couldn't be good when response teams said it was changing from a "search and rescue" mission to "recovery". Seeing it change from speculation to cold reality is still a hard thing to take.

My children go to school not 15 miles from this school. So lucky, so very lucky...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess people online are wondering why the school didn't send the kids home, but that's not what you do during a tornado; that's MORE dangerous. This is normal protocol, although NOTHING about this tornado is normal. At all.

My heart goes out to all the people in the area, it's just so surreal. 200 mph winds, wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is just tragic and I know it all too well. I was living in Joplin MO when an F5 tornado hit it two years ago and demolished 75% of the city. Hundreds died. Every time I see this happen again, I can't say what it does to me after walking away from the ruins of Joplin. The pain and shock is something you just can't imagine until you've had to face it yourself. There were many more fatalities in Joplin than in Moore, but that doesn't make the loss of homes and all any less tragic.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    higher res of the teachers walking the kids out... holy shit... http://i.imgur.com/F7hFRAM.jpg

Few more:

video...

skip to 4:00 then 6:00

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Such a tragic event.
    I gotta ask .. Why? Why would anyone want to live in tornado alley?
    Seems like such an unnecessary risk to take.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

So, what? A whole swath of the Midwest should remain uninhabitable because of the risk of tornadoes? This same straw man argument gets brought up whenever a hurricane strikes the gulf coast. Tornadoes can strike anywhere, even NYC.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Would you go live at the base of a volcano that erupts every year?
    I'm just saying, we tend as humans to fuck with nature. We build houses near rivers because of the scenery, but complain every year when our houses get flooded.

Yes, some area should remain uninhabitable. That's just how it is.

I asked the question to several people in my office. Not one single soul would go live there.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 05-21-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

If what I've read was correct, this tornado had the strongest winds ever recorded near the earth's surface.
    Not confirmed yet. That record is currently held by a tornado from almost exactly 14years ago in almost exactly the same location.

Lots of good science here to clear up some of the media:
    http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience...-and-pictures/
    Fuck yea NWS!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Such a tragic event.
    I gotta ask .. Why? Why would anyone want to live in tornado alley?
    Seems like such an unnecessary risk to take.
    Would you go live at the base of a volcano that erupts every year?
    I'm just saying, we tend as humans to fuck with nature. We build houses near rivers because of the scenery, but complain every year when our houses get flooded.

Yes, some area should remain uninhabitable. That's just how it is.

I asked the question to several people in my office. Not one single soul would go live there.
    I know! People just shouldn't live in natural disaster prone areas. It's just not safe. That's why I am moving to Detroit:

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    When's the last time a major earthquake demolished a city in the US? Early 1900s?

There's a tornado outbreak in tornado alley every freaking year.
    Every year, houses are being blown away. It's inevitable. It's a fatality. The same cannot be said for earthquakes. Hurricanes ... well if you buy a house on the west coast (Florida), you're less likely to get hit.
    I'm just saying. Put the odds on your side. Living in tornado alley is not putting the odds on your side.

Did you see this old lady who found her dog under some debris? She said she was anticipating this day for the past 45 years. Since the day she moved there. How sad is this? You know it's gonna happen, just don't know when. Why would you put yourself or your family in situation like that? It's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    When's the last time a major earthquake demolished a city in the US? Early 1900s?

There's a tornado outbreak in tornado alley every freaking year.
    Every year, houses are being blown away. It's inevitable. It's a fatality. The same cannot be said for earthquakes. Hurricanes ... well if you buy a house on the west coast (Florida), you're less likely to get hit.
    I'm just saying. Put the odds on your side. Living in tornado alley is not putting the odds on your side.

Did you see this old lady who found her dog under some debris? She said she was anticipating this day for the past 45 years. Since the day she moved there. How sad is this? You know it's gonna happen, just don't know when. Why would you put yourself or your family in situation like that? It's ridiculous.
    Seems pretty arbitrary how you are choosing what is a sufficient risk to be concerned about.

For instance, Earthquakes have killed more people in the US over the last 100 years than school shootings.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../us_deaths.php

I won't deny that more people die from tornados every year than earthquakes.

Most people living in CA know that a big earthquake will happen at least once in their lifetime. They just don't know when. Does that make it ridiculous to put myself and my family in that situation? I sure as hell would love a 30min notice that a big quake was going to hit, much like the people in OK received before this tornado.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I know! People just shouldn't live in natural disaster prone areas. It's just not safe. That's why I am moving to Detroit:
    Wait, SEE THIS.

I was driving home from work on M14 from Ann Arbor during a storm and SAW A TORNADO NEXT TO ME in Dexter!!!

The entire friggin' United States of America is in danger of some natural disaster, all the time.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2013 at 09:47 PM.