Page 22 of 156 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    That's not change. That's creation.
    If that were creation, there wouldn't be a lovely third column explaining which bigger world religion or religious / spiritual system they were part of. Hardly any of those new religious movements are 'creations', almost all of them evolved within a clear pre-existing context and still function within a larger system of beliefs. Scientology and the Moonies are obvious exceptions to that rule.

But fine, let's look at one religion then: christianity. Christianity started out as a tiny jewish cult, went on to become proto-gnostic, gnostic, dualist, orthodox, platonic, catholic, protestant/reformed, contrareformed, literalist,... Over 2000 years we've had sudden, jarring changes like the reformation/contrareformation or the eastern schism, Vatican II or papal infallibility; as well as slower evolutions like the evolution of the concept of heaven/hell/limbo, the concept of the sacraments, the ontological status of the eucharist, the dual/divine nature of Christ and the relationship between religion and science. Not to mention more recent phenomena like vôdou and Santeria, Jehova's Witnesses, the pentacostal churches, the Church of LDS, liberation theology and the recent popes' efforts at ecumenism.

Religion is absolutely known for change, or it wouldn't exist anymore. It adapts to time, circumstance and need.

So, to get back on-topic: western catholicism is changing, and the biggest question is: is the Church going to accommodate for this change, as it has in the past, or are catholics going to reform into 'new' churches. I don't know what I hope for most, exactly, I just hope that change manages to push through both internal and external obstacles.
    Last edited by Elke; 04-30-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: I should keep this on-topic, sorry

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Great semantic argument @Elke ! derp
    Get back to me when the pope decides to transfer over to a new religion that someone decided to fork. Until then, you are just creating new variants. The fact that some scam artist like Joseph Smith decided to create his own variant has no impact on the capacity of change within the Catholic religion.

Maybe you failed to notice, but nobody was proposing a new variant of Catholicism but me. They are discussing the capacity of the current Catholics to change the way Catholicism works.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    *thinks we are about to need a religion thread*

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    In non religion headlines, there was a crazy 747 crash that killed all 7 aboard at Bagram Airfield:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    *thinks we are about to need a religion thread*
    We already have one

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I can use the bold button too:

Over 2000 years we've had sudden, jarring changes like the reformation/contrareformation or the eastern schism, Vatican II or papal infallibility; as well as slower evolutions like the evolution of the concept of heaven/hell/limbo, the concept of the sacraments, the ontological status of the eucharist, the dual/divine nature of Christ and the relationship between religion and science. Not to mention more recent phenomena like vôdou and Santeria, Jehova's Witnesses, the pentacostal churches, the Church of LDS, liberation theology and the recent popes' efforts at ecumenism.
    All of those are changes within the Catholic Church itself. Or do you really think Peter started out as infallible, and confession was there from the get-go? And if the Church's stance on science hadn't changed, would we be having apologies to the late Gallileo? 80% of Haitians call themselves catholic, while over 60% practice vôdou - because vôdou is a variant of the catholicism the Church kicked out when it become too weird and refused to be repressed.

I don't use semantics, you just can't read.

[/end]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I find it absolutely insane that people want/expect the church to change... and this is coming from someone who enjoys arguing on the internet.

I mean, its the fucking church! That shit is basically written in stone. Religion isn't exactly known for change. Why don't people just write that shit off and make a new religion that works the way they want?
    Religion isn't known for change? Religion isn't known for splitting up into various little groups over various little things and fighting over them? Think about it

By "The Church" do you mean Catholic? It's in constant flux. It might look static if you're not taking into account the finer detail. But within the CC context the changes are big & are changes regardless of whether we are speaking relatively

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...r-pill-ruling/

Fuck you Obama! That's that shit I DONT LIKE.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Hurricane Sandy: 6 months later

Some amazing photos. Is it me or not a lot of reconstruction has been done in 6 months?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...r-pill-ruling/

Fuck you Obama! That's that shit I DONT LIKE.
    I don't understand how the anti-abortion people can be against the morning after pill. If you're pregnant, the morning-after pill has no effect. It just stops pregnancy from happening. Still, the best way to get our pandering leaders to get behind this full force is to explain to the evangelical dickheads that this is actually a way to PREVENT abortions.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    so, The Westboro Baptist Church is planning to "protest" the funeral for Jeff Hanneman? Oh wow. I don't think they know what they're getting themselves into, but I hope they leave the little kids at home this time. Slayer fans are insane.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    They protested Dio's funeral, too, so some things never change.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

I'll pay to see Slayer fans' reaction to that shit!!!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'll pay to see Slayer fans' reaction to that shit!!!
    Same here. Those Westboro church people are going to feel the wrath of Satan's favorite band.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    North Korea has withdrawn its missiles.

Has China served some strong warnings behind the scene?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Cleveland kidnapping - women found alive after going missing for ten years

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-8605381.html

Amazing story.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    /\ Horrific story but the interview with the man who rescued them is really funny https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151567259488984
    “He’s got some big testicles to pull this off.”
    “I barbecued with this dude, we eat ribs and what not, listen to salsa music.”
    “Bro, I knew something was wrong when a little pretty white girl ran into a black man’s arms. Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway.”
    “She homeless or she got problems. Only reason she runnin’ to a black man.”

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Haven't been that invested in this tabloid murder case, but I'm glad to see justice was served. Juan's a badass.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So sad to feel you have no hope and no future http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-11-13-27-36

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

We're living over here in Disneyland, folks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    And that's not half of it!

You also have the government pulling months worth of phone records from the press.

And there is the response to the ACLU's FOIA request with a 100% redacted document.

Now if only the right-wing can stfu about Benghazi for long enough for these issues to gain sufficient attention.

*not actually tyranny but you get the point

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I need to grab some popcorn for this one...

source

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    While the political commentary of ETS is absolutely dead right now (imagine that) we keep seeing things being handed on a silver plate to the people wanting small government.

Here is David Axelrod actually blaming Obama's lack of oversight of the IRS issue on THE GOVERNMENT BEING SO BIG. This shit is absolutely unbelievable. The remainder of Obama's presidency is going to be incredibly hamstrung after this week. Good luck passing anything that expands governmental authority/responsibility.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    What wouldnve happened if Bush Jr. was in the tornado that Obama is in now? A riot maybe? Obama is very forgivable... anyways thats opinion not news.

Here is some extreme political correctness.

http://www.ibtimes.com/british-villa...uslims-1261621

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Reminds me of this shopping center in Quebec where Muslims complained about Christmas carols playing on the PA system as well as the abundance of Christmas decorations.
    The Alexis Neon Place decided to remove everything that was related to Christmas which obviously offended pretty much everyone else. So they received a fresh set of complaints.

They ended hanging some red umbrellas and a few tinsels but that was it.
    I am absolutely against reasonable accomodations. If you move somewhere, you adapt to their life-style. If you wanna keep praying and practicing your own religion, do it in the comfort of your house.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    What wouldnve happened if Bush Jr. was in the tornado that Obama is in now? A riot maybe? Obama is very forgivable... anyways thats opinion not news.
    It's funny. I've been "defending" Obama through all the Benghazi shit that right-wingers refuse to drop for the last 8 months. They fucked up but it was sort of trivial in comparison to all the Bush-era stuff. After this week I can no longer say that though.

Speaking of Benghazi... looks like that leaked email that was the focus of all the right-wing conspiracy was... get this... FAKE: http://americablog.com/2013/05/white...hazi-fake.html

Let's close up the Benghazi circus with a Ron Paul quote:
    Earlier this week, Ron Paul said the "entire discussion is a sideshow" with the goal of "scoring political points." ... "Republicans want to draw attention to the President’s editing talking points in hopes no one will notice that if the attack on Libya they supported had not taken place, Ambassador Stevens would be alive today."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Reminds me of this shopping center in Quebec where Muslims complained about Christmas carols playing on the PA system as well as the abundance of Christmas decorations.
    The Alexis Neon Place decided to remove everything that was related to Christmas which obviously offended pretty much everyone else. So they received a fresh set of complaints.

They ended hanging some red umbrellas and a few tinsels but that was it.
    I am absolutely against reasonable accomodations. If you move somewhere, you adapt to their life-style. If you wanna keep praying and practicing your own religion, do it in the comfort of your house.
    Storm in a tea cup. Living in the UK I have not heard of or read this story.