Page 134 of 137 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4092

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yikes.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So nobody has discussed how compromised the U.S Government has been since March 2020 because of what happened to Orion, the SolarWinds network software?

Pretty much every acronym you can think of used it.

33K public and private sector customers? Fuuuuuck.

It's looking like it was Russia but this is complex stuff so who knows.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

oh no, anything but that...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Wtf?!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    And there's already right wing conspiracies rolling that the Dominion voting machine audits were somehow connected to that AT&T location.

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    We went to a Thornton's gas station last night to get some pop because everything else was closed. The lady at the counter was telling people as they entered that they could ONLY take cash, that they couldn't take any credit cards, no debit cards, no LINK cards, there was no ATM, and no Lottery sales.

She said the explosion in Nashville had taken out their entire system, and they couldn't even punch in for work so they weren't sure if they'd get paid. This is in a North Shore suburb of Chicago.

Also note, FWIW: AT&T owns CNN.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Nostradamus has some terrifying predictions for 2021

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/nos...?app=applenews

Bad news for everyone who was banking on a better 2021- according to French astrologer Nostradamus, things are only going to get worse.

The 16th-century astrologer, who has said to have accurately predicted some of the most monumental events in the last few hundred years, including World War II and 9/11, has some dire predictions for the year ahead- including a Zombie attack and the possibility that Earth will be hit by an asteroid.
    According to The Mirror, Nostradamus, who has predictions for every year up until 3797, also apparently predicted the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

1. Zombie apocalypse
    According to Nostradamus, a scientist from Russia will create a biological weapon that create a virus that will turn people into zombies... and the kicker is it will eventually leave us extinct.

2. Biblical famine
    As well as a deadly zombie virus, Earth apparently 'will be hit with a famine of biblical proportions.'
    The 16th-century astrologer said: "After great trouble for humanity, a greater one is prepared, The Great Mover renews the ages: Rain, blood, milk, famine, steel, and plague, Is the heavens fire seen, a long spark running."

3. Solar storms
    Huge storms across Earth will see mass migration and people will start to fight over the few remaining natural resources, which will eventually lead to war.

4. Earth will be hit by an asteroid
    Weather is looking wild in 2021, and if the solar storms weren't enough then maybe the asteroid will be.
    He wrote, "in the sky, one sees fire and a long trail of sparks."

5. Devastating earthquake
    It's going to be a big year for natural disasters next year.
    If you live in California, mark November 25, 2021 in your calendar as a date to be cautious of because an earthquake is predicted to hit.

6. Soldiers will have chips implanted into their brains
    Perhaps the wildest prediction of them all, Nostradamus said that by 2021 technology would have advanced to soldiers having chips implanted in their brains.

Apparently, these soldiers will be needed to save the human race (probably from the Zombies and flood) and will lead the armed forces.
    Bring on 2021!

@elevenism - your thang and my thang. Thangs and stuff.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 12-27-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We went to a Thornton's gas station last night to get some pop because everything else was closed. The lady at the counter was telling people as they entered that they could ONLY take cash, that they couldn't take any credit cards, no debit cards, no LINK cards, there was no ATM, and no Lottery sales.

She said the explosion in Nashville had taken out their entire system, and they couldn't even punch in for work so they weren't sure if they'd get paid. This is in a North Shore suburb of Chicago.

Also note, FWIW: AT&T owns CNN.
    Coming from an IT background, it's very strange/odd to me that an explosion near downtown Nashville severed cellular data & voice communication for ATT for an entire day, in various parts of the country, including mine. We were without a phone, and internet since we live in the country and the only internet we have is a dedicated hot spot on Christmas day, which was mostly just inconvenient but I will admit it was odd being cut off from the world for a day.

I'm also surprised about the lack of coverage from the media regarding this outage - considering how widespread it was and how this one explosion crippled a major Telco providers network. I know there aren't many details so far regarding the explosion, but... it doesn't make sense to me how this explosion impacted the ATT network to the point where cellular & data coverage was completely disconnected across various parts of the eastern US.

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Coming from an IT background, it's very strange/odd to me that an explosion near downtown Nashville severed cellular data & voice communication for ATT for an entire day, in various parts of the country, including mine. We were without a phone, and internet since we live in the country and the only internet we have is a dedicated hot spot on Christmas day, which was mostly just inconvenient but I will admit it was odd being cut off from the world for a day.

I'm also surprised about the lack of coverage from the media regarding this outage - considering how widespread it was and how this one explosion crippled a major Telco providers network. I know there aren't many details so far regarding the explosion, but... it doesn't make sense to me how this explosion impacted the ATT network to the point where cellular & data coverage was completely disconnected across various parts of the eastern US.
    Oh, there's been tons of coverage, including info as to the guy who did it. They already figured out who did it, they found him via his RV on Google Maps and Google Earth. They found human remains and think it's the suspect, a suicide bombing. He quit claimed his house to a woman in California who didn't know about it. His late father worked for Bell South.

Here's info:

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...work-hub-after

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ille-explosion

https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/nashvi...-att-building/

https://www.newsweek.com/nashville-b...-clues-1557416

https://heavy.com/news/anthony-quinn-warner/
    Last edited by allegro; 12-27-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    News update: The bomber committed suicide in the RV. Human tissue matched to DNA from a relative.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...on/4052711001/

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

I don't know about any of this but I saw the tweet and...wtf is wrong with white people?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    OK so after a night and some more twitter scanning that's Alec Baldwin's wife? WT actual F.

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    OK so after a night and some more twitter scanning that's Alec Baldwin's wife? WT actual F.
    You didn’t KNOW that?

I dunno, she seemed nice. Her family DOES live in Spain. I don’t know why she changed her name, it does smack of cultural appropriation, but maybe it’s also cultural appreciation? I don’t think Alec knew anything about it. This cancel culture thing sure is brutal, though.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    It's a blindspot - wives of famous people - that I'm happy to have I guess.

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    It's a blindspot - wives of famous people - that I'm happy to have I guess.
    She’s a huge presence on IG. She’s friends with other high-profile spouses so she shows up in their feeds. She has five kids and she’s in terrific physical shape and does yoga and posts stuff about health food and stuff. Alec is in her IG feed all the time. I actually used to follow her but it got a little too much. It’s baby baby baby baby baby ...

I gotta say, though, I am TOTALLY surprised by this shit. All this time, she was just another WASP posing as an Hispanic person and it was all bullshit, and she deserves all the smacking down she gets. All.of.it.

See this interview in Hola: https://us.hola.com/en/celebrities/2...ting-children/

She claimed she was "born in Spain" and that her kids speak Spanish.

She was born in Boston, and it's questionable as to whether she speaks fluent Spanish. All her kids have Spanish-influenced names. WTF. She's 100% American WASP.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-28-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    The Queen’s husband doesn’t want a fuss made about his 100th birthday and is into aliens (real ones): https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...-do-with-party

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    PENTAGON WAR GAME INCLUDES SCENARIO FOR MILITARY RESPONSE TO DOMESTIC GEN Z REBELLION

I don't know if this made the rounds at the time during all of the protests but it's chilling to look back on.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    https://www.mamamia.com.au/nicolas-cage-net-worth/

"Levin advised Coppola against buying a Gulfstream jet, against buying and owning a flotilla of yachts, against buying and owning a squadron of Rolls Royces, against buying millions of dollars in jewellery and art," the filing said, according to CNN.
    He shared that one of Cage's shopping sprees "entailed the purchase of three additional residences at a total cost of more than $33 million; the purchase of 22 automobiles (including 9 Rolls Royces); 12 purchases of expensive jewellery; and 47 purchases of artwork and exotic items."
    While Cage later dropped the lawsuit against his former business manager, his financial woes didn't fade away.
    And in the years since, the actor has reportedly been taking on "roles left and right" to pay off his remaining debt.
    Here's a rundown of the most ridiculous purchases Nicolas Cage blew his fortune on:
    Countless residences.

At one point in his career, the 56-year-old actor owned 15 residences, including a $25 million waterfront home in Newport Beach, California, a luxury $8.5 million home in Las Vegas, and a $3.4 million mansion in New Orleans, which is regarded as the most haunted house in the United States.
    He also purchased two castles in Europe, which he purchased for $10 million and $2.3 million respectively, as well as two (yes, two) private islands in the Bahamas.
    A tombstone.

Outside of his endless home purchases, Cage has already bought himself a nine foot tall pyramid tombstone. \_(ツ)_/
    The tombstone is located in the oldest cemetery in New Orleans.
    A private jet and a yacht.

At one point in his career, Cage owned fourluxury yachts.
    According to The Mirror, the actor's most expensive yacht, which had 12 bedrooms, is worth around $20 million.
    Oh, and he also bought a private jet. Because of course he did.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    "Cyrptocurrency market is now worth half as much as Apple"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...1-1-1029940052

-----------

Can someone explain Bitcoin to me in the most babiest-101 terms? Is this something worth getting involved in? Even one of my friend's yesterday posted that because of yesterday's chaos at Capitol Hill, now is the perfect time to invest. I'm confused.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    @ickyvicky

I wish I understood it too, apparently it involves computers doing math and this math is what uncovers the currency? It's been digitally mined, It's still unclear to me how this currency is considered to be in existence after this process happens. Who determines what is or isn't a cryptocurrency? How does a normal person even earn this shit? Can you be paid an income that's comprised of bitcoin or equivalent?

Like...?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    To put it simply "mining bitcoins" basically is basically getting credit for maintaining a really complicated accounting ledger. A more detailed explanation can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...eli5_bitcoins/

Some people think that bitcoins will replace government issued currency (hint: they're wrong).

You can't really buy much with bitcoin right now, and I don't see that changing, so at the moment, people are trading them like they're baseball cards. They only have value because people are spending real money on them.

The underlying technology is pretty cool, but it's so easy to create a new one, that the existing one won't ever become the thing people use. If a government decided they needed to use one for some reason, they'd just make up their own.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    They only have value because people are spending real money on them.
    This is really the bottom line. It inherently has no value beyond what someone else is willing to spend on it. It's basically worthless and it's not going to be the financial revolution it's backers are hoping it will be.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-rolf-dobelli

A car drives over a bridge, and the bridge collapses. What does the news media focus on? The car. The person in the car. Where he came from. Where he planned to go. How he experienced the crash (if he survived). But that is all irrelevant. What's relevant? The structural stability of the bridge. That's the underlying risk that has been lurking, and could lurk in other bridges.
    How many times have we seen that Q'anon barbarian today? I get that faces need to be identified, but he's the car here. I'm seeing much less about the bridge. We are so obsessed with MAGA, I don't even think we could point to what the bridge actually is.

News stories are overwhelmingly about things you cannot influence. The daily repetition of news about things we can't act upon makes us passive. It grinds us down until we adopt a worldview that is pessimistic, desensitised, sarcastic and fatalistic. The scientific term is "learned helplessness". It's a bit of a stretch, but I would not be surprised if news consumption, at least partially contributes to the widespread disease of depression.

News works like a drug. As stories develop, we want to know how they continue. With hundreds of arbitrary storylines in our heads, this craving is increasingly compelling and hard to ignore.
    There I was yesterday afternoon, getting my personal house in order, when my phone buzzes. I see a chilling, almost unreal headline about the storming of the Capitol, and choose to spend the rest of the day and beyond focusing on that and nothing but that.

things we already know limit our creativity. This is one reason that mathematicians, novelists, composers and entrepreneurs often produce their most creative works at a young age. Their brains enjoy a wide, uninhabited space that emboldens them to come up with and pursue novel ideas.
    I definitely get the most enrichment out of podcasts, not news. Mostly long-form interviews with thinkers and creatives. I have been doing more of that lately, but man do I miss my 20s when I could get out a pen or a guitar and just offer up my own wild and passionate ideas into the ether just to see what stuck around.

Society needs journalism – but in a different way. Investigative journalism is always relevant. We need reporting that polices our institutions and uncovers truth. But important findings don't have to arrive in the form of news. Long journal articles and in-depth books are good, too.
    Important to note that this piece seems to be defining "news" more in the vein of headlines, clickbait, doomscrolling twitter, and mindless consumption. I don't read it as a hit piece against journalism or media at large, and I 100% respect the work of those of you doing it honestly in the media. Particularly the backbone producer, copy editor, etc types. Still, it's good to turn the notifications off here and there, maybe doubly so in times of up-to-the-minute crisis unless you're right there in it.
    Interesting article and counter-points I was reading.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

This is so awesome. Consequences might actually be a thing soon!

Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    ^^^woot woot!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Cyrptocurrency market is now worth half as much as Apple"

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...1-1-1029940052

-----------

Can someone explain Bitcoin to me in the most babiest-101 terms? Is this something worth getting involved in? Even one of my friend's yesterday posted that because of yesterday's chaos at Capitol Hill, now is the perfect time to invest. I'm confused.

saw this and thought of your post. it's the new tulips.