Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Festival Thread

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT BALLS RUN DMC ARE REUNITING! And for Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. The 14 year old in me is more than excited for this.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Anybody hitting up Camp Bisco this year???

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just got tickets to Latitude this weekend, last minute massive road trip planned! Super excite!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    http://funfunfunfest.com/artists

Haven't been this excited about a festival lineup in a while. Especially the Black stage.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    http://fireflyfestival.com/#lineup_official.php

Just found out I'll be working there next week. Curious to see which stage I end up patching.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Just came back from ACL, here's my shit:
    FRIDAY:
    First Aid Kit- Saw these gals two years ago at ACL and they were awesome. Now they have a legit backing band and expanded their sound and audience and sound as beautiful as ever. Wouldn't be surprised to see them break out soon in the mainstream. Easily the best harmonizing of the weekend by anyone.

The War on Drugs- Absolutely love these guys. At times it sounded like they were the Dire Straits fronted by a Bob Dylan in his prime. Long songs with awesome build ups, perfect for the hot as hell weather that we got on Friday. Awesome performance, even if they did take a swipe at the Texas Rangers for sucking.

The Afghan Whigs- Holy fucking shit was this the set of the weekend. Greg Dulli is still in rare form, his voice is great, he can still scream and the three guitar assault was amazing. Every song off of 1965 and Gentlemen were perfect. This is how reunions are done kids. Dulli is still one of the last legit rock stars left and this solidified it. We then saw them the next evening at an aftershow and they tore that motherfucker down, easily a top 10 show for me. They included a Frank Ocean and a Drake cover on that show and cranked it even louder. They opened with "Crime Scene, Part One" and I got goosebumps that stayed till the show ended. If you want real rock and roll in your life, see this band.

Alabama Shakes- I love these guys (and gal), but the sound at the stage was awful so I couldn't hear much. They were also on a much smaller stage which is bullshit considering they're a legit popular rock band. I'm sure they wrecked it, but from where I was standing, it sounded like nothing.

Black Lips- My third favorite show of the weekend. If you haven't seen them, you need to. High energy, great pop punk songs and shenanigans including making out, vomiting, and humping blow up dolls. I was in the pit the whole time and shit went off during "O Katrina", "Modern Art", "Bad Kids", "Raw Meat", and "Family Tree". The crowd broke into a "Weezer Sucks" chant who were playing at the same time on a stage nearby which caused the members to say "the Blue album is okay". Quite possibly the most fun I had all weekend at a set.

M83- ACL made the mistake of putting them on the same small stage as Alabama Shakes earlier in the day, so the sound was an issue at the beginning. "Midnight City" was killer of course, then 70% of the crowd left and I got up front and they were awesome. The closed with "Colours" and everyone still there was shaking their ass. If any band deserves the success they've had in the past year of growing into a near arena act, it's M83.

Black Keys- Okay, so they're one of my favorite bands obviously, I've seen them more times than I can remember, and well their performance left a lot to be desired. There were sound issues, Dan didn't seem too interested, and they've played a set that they've been playing since El Camino came out. The best part of their set is in the middle where Dan and Pat do a bunch of pre-Attack and Release songs and even the songs off El Camino are good, but it just seems like they've gotten lazy with all the fame, not to mention the fanbase has changed drastically (those in the Muse forum know what I'm talking about). They've worked their asses off to this point, and I'm glad to see them as one of the world's biggest rock bands, but I'm ready for them to go away for a while because at this point, it's overload.

Metric (aftershow)- We saw Policia and Metric after the festival and it was a good gig, it was a short set, but Emily was energetic, they played a greatest hits set sans "Stadium Love" and the band is extremely tight. I've never been the biggest fan of them, but they sure did impress me and would see them again. Plus, I would do unforgivable things to Emily Haines.

Saturday:

Rufus Wainwright- Such an awesome performer with a voice to match. Homeboy sings standards better than anyone and looked humbled to be there. Who else can hold a Liza Mineli cover and have the crowd eat out of his hand? It was a rare treat, no other festival got him and he nailed it.

Big K.R.I.T.- This one was meh, may be my least favorite set of the weekend. He had energy, but the crowd wasn't very responsive (hip-hop usually doesn't fare well at ACL), and seemed like every other hip hop show I've seen. The best part of his set was when his DJ played "Never Scared" by Bone Crusher. Imagine that.

Andrew Bird- Another surprise, his band was awesome and he was probably the most accomplished musician all weekend. The new songs sounded great, and he can whistle with the best of them. It was raining for most of the day, but the sun was shining throughout the set. Like Rufus, it was a great set with two men who are some of the best at their craft, delivering and not looking back.

Band of Skulls- I love their first album, their second sucks. It started raining and their set was cut short after 10 minutes which means Mother Nature thinks they suck.

The Shins- Another disappointment. The first half of their set was great, but it got boring after a while since they front loaded it. I saw them do a taping earlier this year and it was great, saw them at Bonnaroo, and they were great, but here it was lacking. Maybe it was an off day, but James Mercer hasn't let me down yet, so Saturday was surprising from my standpoint.

Steve Earle- He's a genius, a legend, and is a bad motherfucker. His set was awesome and he was on fire, they crowd got rowdy, so he got rowdier. Even if you aren't a fan of the type of music, you can appreciate him.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Awesome as expected. I don't even think there was a song under 10 minutes. He can jam with the best of them and they still sound great after all these years. "Cinnamon Girl" was awesome, the guitar solo in "Down By the River" was the best moment all weekend, and from what I heard, he outclassed Jack White who was playing across the field at the same time. It's always good to see an amazing artist, still putting on stunning shows this late in his career. A bucket list performance for me and it was worth it.

Sunday:

Gary Clark, Jr.- Awesome guitarist, great backing band. As far as blues rock went, he beat the Black Keys at their own game. This guy is awesome, he's a showman, and I think he'll be a name we'll be hearing for a long time.

Tennis- It was hot as hell, so I couldn't think of a better band with their sunny disposition to listen to. Yeah, they sort of sound like Cults or Best Coast, but I think they make the most of it and write better songs. I think I have a crush on Alania Moore and Sunday didn't change that one bit.

Two Door Cinema Club- Man, do these guys suck. This was my least favorite set of the weekend come to think of it. All these songs wound the same and they just sound like a cheap Vampire Weekend ripoff. The songs are catchy, but there's no substance or irony to what their doing. It's indie pop for the same crowd who think a band like Mumford and Sons is folk music.

The Weeknd- Motherfucker cancelled. Fuck that.

Iggy and the Stooges- Awesome, just awesome. Second best set of the weekend. He's 65 years old and still performing at the level of 25. He's screaming, acting disgusting, being profane, and it's all wonderful. He even encouraged us to bumrush the stage at one point just for the fuck of it. This is how it should be. Honestly, he upstaged all the younger artists on the weekend and he knew it. The Stooges are legendary, and Iggy has been a hero of mine since elementary school. They didn't disappoint and boy was it fun.

Crystal Castles- Not a fan of them in particular. They had a huge crowd, but to me it sounded like a bunch of noise with a lot of shrieking. It was energetic, but I don't get it.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Sound issues deflated what was otherwise a decent set. I had fun at their Bonnaroo set, and say what you want about the band and how they've sucked since "By the Way", but they can bring it. The impromptu jam sessions got boring after a while, but a three song cluster of "Under the Bridge", "Californication", and "By the Way" was awesome. We also got rare ones like "Otherside" and "Sir Psycho Sexy". They're arguably one of the biggest bands of the fast couple of generations and have an extensive catalog. I wasn't blown away, but it wasn't bad either.

Overall, it was a good weekend with bad weather, but the music overcame that to make it worth it. This is the last one weekend ACL before they do dual weekends next year, so that's cool. For a weekend where new stars were supposed to be made, it was the elders who showed us how it's done.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    perfect description of how I feel about Black Keys now too. damn shame. Of course The Weeknd cancelled, dude is a headcase.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Weird thing about The Weeknd is that he played a show the night before at Austin Music Hall and people said it was wonderful. Then he tweets that he can't go out the next day because of doctor's orders. I have a feeling he'll die pretty young if his songs are any indication.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I attended Austin's Fun Fun Fun Fest last weekend. here's the good shit:
    Friday:

Cursive- Pleasantly surprised by them. I hadn't picked up a Cursive album in a few years, but I was blown away by them. They still sounded tight, the bass parts were awesome, and who's fucking with a saxophone in a band?

Sharon Van Etten- Nice singer song writer music for the mid day, very gracious performer and reminds me of a more active Cat Power. She's also awesome on every instrument she touched and her band was terrific, well worth the buzz she's getting.

Napalm Death- I've never been too big into Grindcore, and I understand these guys are gods to the genre, but I thought they sucked. It honestly sounded like two different bands were playing at the same time. I wasn't a fan, and they seem like nice dudes, but this was probably the worst set all weekend.

Converge- Pretty awesome, I thought they should've been playing later in the day, but they kicked ass anyway. Along with about 90% of people on this board, I think the new album is pretty fucking fantastic and the new songs sounded stellar live. They had endless energy and Jacob is a great frontman. I wish they played longer, rest assured, I'll be seeing them again next time they come through Texas.

Black Lips- What is there to say? Rooney Mara was on guitar, Val Kilmer was supposed to be their frontman (all for a movie Terrence Mallick is shooting). Kilmer chainsawed an amp, hit all the members, referred to Mara as "Miley Cyrus", and even cut his hair with a hunting knife. As the performance grew more chaotic, the crowd became restless and it became a violent pit with debris on the stage on any given moment. I will never forget this performance.

Superchunk- Loved these guys, they've been doing it for so long and they're the consummate professionals. "Slack Motherfucker" was awesome as expected and they didn't say anything, they just rocked the fuck out. They're indie rock legends for a reason.

X- They performed Los Angeles, had a small crowd, but man it was awesome. For guys in their 60's, they schooled many bands on the black stage. John Doe is still awesome and Exene still belts it out. You really got the feeling watching these guys perform LA that you were seeing something special, and it was.

Saturday

Devin: Three piece garage act to start off the day. Reminded me of a reserved Cage the Elephant. Sort of generic.

Deathfix- This is Devin of Fugazi's side project and it sounds nothing like it. Pretty typical dad rock shit sounding like Wilco's lesser albums and everything had a guitar solo. Last year we had Joe Lally, so I'm hoping Fugazi will eventually reunite here.

Brendan Benson- Sort of disappointing. I thought all of his songs sounded the same after a while. His backing band was good, but nothing special. He's badass on guitar though.

Braid- I along with the dudes pushing 30 who never thought they'd reunite were stoked. It was awesome and all their grooves and breakdowns still sound as good as ever, also considering the fact they've probably influenced a huge number of bands playing there, it was an honor seeing them.

Why?- Very surprising in a good way. I haven't like much of what they've put out in the past few years, but they sounded great, the new songs sound livelier and they had great energy for the hottest part of the day.

OFF!- An okay set. They sound great, but Keith Morris killed the vibe preaching about how third parties are important and generally seemed miserable before even playing (he was pissed they shot off a Taco Cannon before their set). Keith is a cool dude, and a hero of mine, but I had a bad taste in my mouth considering he didn't appear to be in a particularly good mood.

Paul Banks- Sue me, I love his solo albums, I thought he put on a good show and loved how my buddy Brandon (from Secret Machines) was in his backing band. It's a little poppier than his Interpol work, but it beats the shit out of that last Interpol album.

Real Estate- It's weird to think how popular these guys are. I saw them at a packed tent at Coachella earlier this year and their set was packed here too. It was perfect, the sun was setting and the peaceful grooves and beachy vibes made the set for me. I'm surprised at their success, and they deserve all of it.

Wavves- Very good set. Similar to when I saw them at SXSW. Nathan is hilarious, he allowed a couple to propose and then played some new songs. They pride themselves on being sloppy and lazy, but they sounded as clean and tight as anyone this weekend.

Public Image Ltd- Classic case of a band being great, but a singer just sucking. Johnny Rotten seemed to have no interest whatsoever in being there. He was reading lyrics off a podium and was lifeless. The band was great and reminded me of all the DFA records material I've listened to the past few years, but Johnny should probably retire at this point.

Refused- Hands down the set of the weekend. Maybe the year. Constant energy, the band was flawless, Denis was on fire, and the song selection was bitching. You couldn't tell it was a reunion tour, because of how they sounded and looked. They were flat out perfect and appreciative about the packed stage. The reunion is ending now, and everyone at that stage got their monies worth and were sent home happy.

Black Moth Super Rainbow (Aftershow)- It was packed, but damn, they made me see stars, especially during "Tooth Decay". Tobacco has assembled a great band, the songs are given new life and it's amazing to watch these hip hop inspired beats played with live instruments. They made a new (bigger) believer out of me.

Sunday

Pallbearer- Good way to start the afternoon with some Sabbath inspired doom metal. They've put out one of the best albums of the year, they sound great live and I talked to the guys after the set, and they're sweethearts. They were as appreciative of me as I was of their set. I hope these guys get Mastadon huge.

Cult of Youth- Shitty Flogging Molly bullshit. Almost like Frank Turner without the everything.

Liturgy- You either hate them or like them. Two dudes playing guitars over a drum machine while one guy growls like a panther. I dig it, but I can see why people hate them.

A Place to Bury Strangers- Sort of disappointed with these guys as well. To be fair, their crowd was bad and they had energy, but the sound was louder than it needed to be and after a while they got sick of trying to win the crowd over. In a smaller room, these guys are awesome, but in an arena or festival setting, they don't benefit.

Valient Thorr- Classic cheesy power metal for the fuck of it. I liked them, I understood what they were doing, and they were perfect for the fact that Turbonegro was headlining the stage later that night. They won me over with their cheesiness.

Japandroids- Fuck these guys are so awesome it's absurd. They just flew in from Europe, play their balls off and the crowd goes nuts. Anthems describe their songs, they put out an album of the year contender and when it's just two guys on stage sounding like five, it's more blissful. The pit was rowdy, the best thing to do was grab a beer, get in the pit and have fun because it's all just fun music played by guys who look like they're having the time of their lives.

Titus Andronicus- Second best set of the weekend. I love Local Business and the tracks were good. But The Monitor is one of my favorite albums maybe ever and those tracks got their justice. They were in the smallest stage and had the rowdiest crowd all weekend. Nothing like a bunch of guys moshing and screaming "YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A LOSER", Patrick Stickles is a great singer, and him and the crowd fed of each other. If you weren't one of the people in this small tent, you missed out.

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead- They were awesome, their new album is tits, their new band lineup is the best its been in years. The crowd was shit though. But hearing "Relative Ways" and "A Perfect Teenhood" were awesome and they still have crazy energy on stage. They'd just flown in from Japan that afternoon and I talked to Conrad before their set and again, nicest dude in the world. For 40 minutes, I remembered why they were my favorite band in the world for a few years.

Fucked Up- I was drained from the previous three sets, so I was sitting for most of it. They sounded good. Damian is such an awesome leader and the songs off David Comes to Life were rad. I'd love to see them again in a smaller setting.

Black Moth Super Rainbow- It wasn't easy to skip Turbonegro, but I was so amped after seeing BMSR the night before that I had to do it again. A similar set from the night before, but with visuals this time. It turned into a dance party halfway in the set. I can't stress enough how great they are live. Fucking exhilarating.

Great weekend. Nice layout, everything was on time and the choice of bands was on point. If you can do one fest in Austin, this shits all over SXSW and ACL.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Have to sell my Big Day Out ticket due to a herniated disc. This sucks .__.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Camp Bisco's lineup is incredibly weak this year

http://lineup.campbisco.net/
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Camp Bisco's lineup is incredibly weak this year

http://lineup.campbisco.net/
    The majority of it is fairly lackluster but I'd say it's worth it just for Bassnectar, Wolfgang Gartner, Flux Pavilion, and KOAN Sound.

I'm heading up to Squamish Festival in August for Queens of the Stone Age and Childish Gambino, if anyone else there is good then it's just a bonus to me.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 03-02-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    what the fuck is up with R. Kelly showing up as a headliner at these festivals this year? Did I miss something? Last I heard, this guy pissed on children and his music was bullshit.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    The majority of it is fairly lackluster but I'd say it's worth it just for Bassnectar, Wolfgang Gartner, Flux Pavilion, and KOAN Sound.

I'm heading up to Squamish Festival in August for Queens of the Stone Age and Childish Gambino, if anyone else there is good then it's just a bonus to me.
    There is just a heavy abundance of trap and jam artists this year. I have seen Bassnectar twice, but he is always great.. but there is also what you mentioned, Paper Diamond, Break Science, Dirtyphonics, and Gramatik. I was really expecting Pretty Lights to show up this year since he has been to many Bisco's before.. but no go :/

For Squamish, that is a pretty good line-up.. you also have Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, and Jurassic 5. Seems like a good time.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    For Squamish, that is a pretty good line-up.. you also have Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, and Jurassic 5. Seems like a good time.
    It's definitely a lot better than I was expecting. I haven't listened to very much of Pretty Lights, Vampire Weekend, or Jurassic 5, but I've heard good thigns about them all so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I'll dig into them all a bit eventually. I was REALLY hoping Postal Service would be announced as the big headliner, but I'm much happier to have QOTSA; I might be able to catch PS in Vancouver a few weeks beforehand.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    QOTSA, Jurassic 5 and Macklemore are the only ones I'd want to see, so hopefully if I end up going they're all on the same day!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    what the fuck is up with R. Kelly showing up as a headliner at these festivals this year? Did I miss something? Last I heard, this guy pissed on children and his music was bullshit.
    Hehe, you know I actually kinda dig him. I think he's probably going to blow off these performances and they'll be trainwrecks but for me it's about just seeing him. I know all of his songs and it's ballsy booking, but it's definitely head scratching.

Metallica's festival looks amazing though, I'd go to that if I weren't going to Bonnaroo.

Also, Free Press Summer Fest in Houston is going to be pretty awesome!

The Postal Service

Bassnectar

Iggy Pop & the Stooges

TV on the Radio

Passion Pit

Calvin Harris

Alabama Shakes

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Social Distortion

Arctic Monkeys

Gogol Bordello

Of Monsters and Men

2 Chainz

Cat Power

The Head & the Heart

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

Matt and Kim

Borgore

Dawes

Mavis Staples

Geto Boys

The Bronx

Paul Banks

Soja

Japandroids

Chairlift

Mord Fustang

Devin the Dude

Baroness

Los Amigos Invisibles

Vintage Trouble

Machine Gun Alley

Milo Greene

The Octopus Project

The Men

Ume
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 03-03-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would go just to see the Geto Boys.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Geto Boys and 2Chainz, this is amazing!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just bought my tickets for the Primavera Festival in Barcelona. So fucking excited! It's the first time I will travel abroad simply for a festival and it's also the first time I'm going to such a big festival. The whole thing has left a sizeable void in my wallet, but dammit, it's worth it! Anyone else going to be there?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    As well as R. Kelly, Bjork & Belle and Sebastian playing Pitchfork Music Festival this year they recently added

Joanna Newsom, the Breeders play Last Splash, Swans, El-P, Killer Mike, TNGHT, Chairlift, Sky Ferreira, ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Rustie, Mac DeMarco, Foxygen, Angel Olsen, Trash Talk, and Tree

I used to listen to Newsom but it certainly has been awhile. I really like the fact that Swans, El-P, Mac Demarco and TNGHT are on there. I'm seeing Foxygen this weekend and while I like Killer Mike and Trash Talk, I think they're better for an smaller venue.

Really thought they were gonna get Death Grips. =/

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Death Grips were on last year's lineup no?

I hate SXSW, but they got some good shit next week, including a show with Japandroids, Iggy and the Stooges, The Specials, and Ghostface Killah. This needs to happen.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Death Grips were on last year's lineup no?
    Sadly no, otherwise I probably would have been there. Last year's Pitchfork line up was alright but my first year in 2011 I thought was one of the better lineups.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    My mistake, they were on the Pitchfork CMJ and SXSW showcases. But this isn't the final lineup, I'm sure more will get added.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Osheaga Festival (Montreal) just announced its lineup. I would love to see The Cure and New Order but not gonna pay that kinda money just for those two bands.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,725418.column

Lollapalooza with some weak headliners: Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Postal Service, The National, and The Killers.

Not a HUGE name to knock it out of the park. I love VW and The National, I like Phoenix and Postal Service, but I don't know if this makes traveling to Chicago a possibility for me this year.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Another festival in Quebec just announced its lineup. This is the Rockfest in Montebello.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,725418.column

Lollapalooza with some weak headliners: Mumford and Sons, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Postal Service, The National, and The Killers.

Not a HUGE name to knock it out of the park. I love VW and The National, I like Phoenix and Postal Service, but I don't know if this makes traveling to Chicago a possibility for me this year.
    Yeah I can't believe those are the headliners this year. The other two headliner spots need to be fucking EPIC for me to spend the cash to go. And maybe I'm out of the loop because I don't care for VW, but it still blows my mind that they're apparently big enough to headline festivals. And I just wish Mumford would fucking die off already. When are people going to get bored with that sound?