Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Twitter

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I reported an account that was just out and out racist on December 3rd, well I reported 4 tweets, it doesn’t do anything else except be racist and has no engagement and it’s still there, what’s the point of reporting? I just decided I’d had enough and would report rather than ignore. I feel like what else can you do?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I reported an account that was just out and out racist on December 3rd, well I reported 4 tweets, it doesn’t do anything else except be racist and has no engagement and it’s still there, what’s the point of reporting? I just decided I’d had enough and would report rather than ignore. I feel like what else can you do?
    They’re REALLY slow because they’re overwhelmed. Did you report it as hateful conduct or whatever?

I deactivated my account and deleted the app. Social media etc. is wasting too much of my time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    They’re REALLY slow because they’re overwhelmed. Did you report it as hateful conduct or whatever?

I deactivated my account and deleted the app. Social media etc. is wasting too much of my time.
    I said ‘it directs hate against a protected category ie…..’. Definitely thinking of deleting the app given how toxic it is

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They get so many reports that it takes a long time for them to do anything about it. Ilan Rubin had his account hacked by scammers over the weekend who used it to scam people out of thousands of dollars, and it still took almost two days for him to get the scammers shut down and get his account back, and the only reason he managed that was because he was able to use his celebrity status to get word to some people that could actually help, and even with that as I said, it was slow.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Speaking of scammers, fuuuuuuck me. This is the same group that took over Ilan's account i think.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't really do much with Twitter, tbh. I just look to see what's trending, it's how I get my news since I don't watch the news or anything like that. Too much for my mental sanity to take in. I know social media can be a bad place, but it has done some really good things, not just for me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It IS good for pretty much INSTANT news.

I’ve found out about major news events via Twitter before it was “out” anywhere else. My Twitter news feed is about the only thing I miss about Twitter (and the only reason I’ve gone back to Twitter after quitting … about 15 times since its inception).

Also: Everyone on Twitter should use 2FA.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-15-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It IS good for pretty much INSTANT news.

I’ve found out about major news events via Twitter before it was “out” anywhere else. My Twitter news feed is about the only thing I miss about Twitter (and the only reason I’ve gone back to Twitter after quitting … about 15 times since its inception).Also: Everyone on Twitter should use 2FA.
    The problem is they’ve stopped people being able to do certain things (like see likes or followers or even tweets) without being logged in, I’m always asked by my husband to check what this or that rugby player is saying because he refuses to get a Twitter account. What is 2FA?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The problem is they’ve stopped people being able to do certain things (like see likes or followers or even tweets) without being logged in, I’m always asked by my husband to check what this or that rugby player is saying because he refuses to get a Twitter account. What is 2FA?
    Yeah, you've always had to have a Twitter account to do that. So, you have to be logged in to do that.

2FA is "Two Factor Authorization." Which - really - you should use for EVERYTHING these days.

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing...authentication

Twitter has finally "gone commercial" meaning it's finally with ads, so the way you can do away with ads is to subscribe and that's the way you can finally get the long-desired THE EDIT BUTTON.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-15-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Twitter has finally "gone commercial" meaning it's finally with ads, so the way you can do away with ads is to subscribe and that's the way you can finally get the long-desired THE EDIT BUTTON.
    Nearly every account that I see ads fro, I block on principle. The only exceptions are for things like the local government and local independent news...

But I also rarely log in to the site itself or use the app too much... I read most of my Twitter via Tweetbot on my desktop and I see no ads ever with it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Twitter turning off microservices....

and the unintended 2FA killing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My favorite debacle so far with checkmarks:

He posed as Tobey Maguire and everyone lost their shit lolol.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

They've entered the "Hunt the Mole" phase of new management... this will be fine.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I honestly have no idea wtf Elon Musk was thinking here. He probably didn't do it because he saw it as a worthwhile, profitable enterprise. He should have stuck to rockets, promises to send the elite to Mars, and cars that he takes credit for designing when really he just bought it with his inherited emerald mine fortune.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    at this rate I hope he is responsible for getting the billionaires to Mars, could be useful.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    at this rate I hope he is responsible for getting the billionaires to Mars, could be useful.
    Well, if his handling of Twitter is any indication of his capacity to pull off ambitious ventures...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just gonna say this right now:

I recently signed up for counter.social as an alternative in case Twitter goes down in the immediate future. If you'd like to give me a follow, my handle there is Shannon337

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

They've entered the "Hunt the Mole" phase of new management... this will be fine.
    I thought he'd told everyone they HAD to go into the office a few days ago??? I actually think someone may be onto something when they said Elon Musk has actually been paid by 'people' or shady organisations / countries to shut Twitter down. No idea why though.

The blue tick thing is a nightmare though, so many people have got them you can't tell who's verified anymore
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-18-2022 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I actually think someone may be onto something when they said Elon Musk has actually been paid by 'people' or shady organisations / countries to shut Twitter down. No idea why though.
    The shady organisation / country is the United States of America and its centuries-long program of rewarding mediocre men with billions for repeatedly fucking things up over and over and over and over. No unseen, conspiratorial, Shady Cabal™ explanation necessary. That is how the system works and has always worked. It's working.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I thought he'd told everyone they HAD to go into the office a few days ago??? I actually think someone may be onto something when they said Elon Musk has actually been paid by 'people' or shady organisations / countries to shut Twitter down. No idea why though.
    They would have had to pay him more than $44 billion to do it, since that's what he paid for Twitter. If you actually think someone would have actually paid more than $44 billion just to shut twitter down you're insane.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The shady organisation / country is the United States of America and its centuries-long program of rewarding mediocre men with billions for repeatedly fucking things up over and over and over and over. No unseen, conspiratorial, Shady Cabal™ explanation necessary. That is how the system works and has always worked. It's working.
    i always assumed Elon Musk was an inventor, not that he just bought things. He's clearly fucking Twitter up, to be honest I think it would be a good thing because Twitter is so hostile.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They would have had to pay him more than $44 billion to do it, since that's what he paid for Twitter. If you actually think someone would have actually paid more than $44 billion just to shut twitter down you're insane.
    I just find it hard to believe anyone could be this bad without a reason

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just find it hard to believe anyone could be this bad without a reason
    Musk is not some rich genius. He inherited his money and made some lucky investments which made him famous and he tricked the public into believing he came up with the idea.

Plus, if he were actually doing this intentionally, he’d likely be going to prison for a long time. Defrauding investors and whatnot.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They're called the IRS. It's a tax write-off. Look at Trump's tax returns. Elon sure did.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    i always assumed Elon Musk was an inventor, not that he just bought things. He's clearly fucking Twitter up, to be honest I think it would be a good thing because Twitter is so hostile.
    Yeah, that's what he wants you to think. Google Elon Musk Emerald for how he got his start. A whole lot of right place / right time / lots of money.

Linked tweets are going to be broken soon, aren't they?

edit:

all a joke to him, I guess
    Last edited by allegate; 11-18-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They're called the IRS. It's a tax write-off. Look at Trump's tax returns. Elon sure did.
    $44 billion is not a tax write off. Even for him. And again, if he’s tanking twitter intentionally, he’s going to prison. A lot of that $44 billion was from investors. This would be a clear case of defrauding investors.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I feel so sorry for those who don't get this.

Musk strike me as an impulsive buyer. He wants, he gets; without thinking about the consequences. Twitter is his brand new toy and he will play with it however he wants. Problem is this toy has many, many moving parts that won't collaborate.