Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Whether the group plays together or not remains to be seen, but it appears there will be some sort of reunion of Guns 'N Roses' original lineup at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on April 14 in Cleveland.

"I know that all the original band is going to be there," keyboardist Dizzy Reed, the longest-standing member of the current GNR and an inductee that night, tells Billboard.com. "I don't know exactly what's going to go down. It's one of those things I'm sure will all come together and be really cool. I'm just going to go in with a good attitude and a clear head and a grateful heart."

Fans have been abuzz about whether the GNR crew -- which will also include continuing frontman Axl Rose, guitarists Slash, Izzy Stradlin and Gilby Clarke, bassist Duff McKagen and drummers Steven Adler and Matt Sorum -- would put aside well-publicized differences at the ceremony and pick up their instruments together. Nobody has said for sure what will happen, and Adler has even expressed open doubts about the possibility. Reed, meanwhile, says it's not even been a topic of conversation between he and Rose since the Rock Hall's class of 2012 was announced in December.

"Honestly, we haven't spoken about it," Reed says. "I don't know when or why or how to bring it up. It's not an every day sort of thing. So we haven't really talked about it -- but I'm sure we'll have to at some point."

Reed calls the Rock Hall honor "pretty cool...especially when you think about all the people who are already in and helped make rock 'n' roll what it is. It's a real who's who of great musicians." The keyboardist adds that he's also excited "for the people that have supported Guns 'N Roses over the years. It's really cool for them more than anyone else. To me, that's the most important thing."

The current GNR, meanwhile, is playing more than celebrating. Following an arena swing in 2011, the group is playing seven club and theater shows, including three in New York City and in Chicago, Detroit, Silver Spring, Md. and Atlantic City. At the group's Feb. 10 show at New York's Roseland Ballroom, Rose and co. tore through a 150-minute set that included their "Appetite for Destruction" hits and some deep cuts from "Chinese Democracy," leaving the small crowd delighted.

"It's always cool to change things up like that and be a little more intimate with the crowd," Reed says. "Obviously we have to scale things down a little bit. The stage won't be quite as big. Hopefully there won't be as much pyro -- I always feel safer when there's not."

GNR will return to bigger spaces in mid-May, when it begins a European tour of arenas and festivals -- including the Gods Of Metal weekend in Milan, Italy -- although Reed notes that "if they throw in some club shows here and there, I've got no complaints. I'm totally into it."

And how about for work on a follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy?" "There are some clamoring and rumors that we might be getting some material together here after we do this little (theater) run, so we'll see what happens," Reed says. "I just go with the flow. I'm always recording and stuff. If it happens it will be really fun and cool. I love creating stuff with all the guys. And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out."

http://www.billboard.com/news/all-or...06185362.story

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Interview! Whet Your ‘Appetite’ 
- Guns N' Roses Head to Atlantic City

Bassist Tommy Stinson 
talks new GNR album, his old band the Replacements and what Axl Rose is really like.

Feb. 22, 2012

Tommy Stinson is asking some questions about the fashionable Paleo diet since he’s hoping for some extra energy. That’s understandable since the Guns N’ Roses bassist is working around the clock. 

When the former member of the seminal 1980s alt-rockers the Replacements isn’t on the road with Guns N’ Roses, Stinson is working on solo material or touring with Soul Asylum. At the moment he is caring for his four-year old, who has walking pneumonia.

“There is so little time for everything,” Stinson tells Atlantic City Weekly while calling from his home in New York’s Hudson Valley. “I need more energy.”

The busy performer talks about Axl Rose, the future of Guns N’ Roses — which just finished off a five-night New York City run and will perform Friday, Feb. 24, at the House of Blues in Atlantic City — and why a Replacements reunion is unlikely.

How difficult is it to juggle all of your musical obligations?

It’s not easy. Guns tends to book a lot of things fairly last minute. I’ll have solo stuff booked and I’ll have to cancel it.

Is there a backup for you with Guns N’ Roses?

I’m not going to miss anything with Guns since it’s been my main gig for the last 14 years, but if I had to miss, the person I could call is [original Guns N’ Roses bassist] Duff [McKagan]. He would do it and the old fans would get a kick out of it. But I’m good with all the Guns dates.

One album in 14 years isn’t much of an output. Any chance that Guns N’ Roses will put out anything since Chinese Democracy finally was released?

I really hope so. I would like to put out more than one album in 14 years. But people don’t know how much trouble we had with Interscope [Records]. They didn’t make it easy on us. But there’s a good chance something will be out. We’re writing and Axl really likes some of the stuff [guitarist] DJ [Ashba] has come up with. Guns has a future and I think it includes an album. I’m fine with playing the old Guns songs I had nothing to do with when they were recorded. I’m all about Chinese Democracy, too, but I want new Guns N’ Roses songs.

What’s Axl Rose really like?

First of all, Axl Rose is part of a dying breed, a real rock star. There just aren’t rock stars anymore. He’s a really good guy, great to work with. If that wasn’t so I wouldn’t be working with him for the last 14 years.

When we last spoke a decade ago, you told me that there was an 80-percent chance that the Replacements would never reunite and if you did, it would be only for the money. Is that still true?

[Laughs] I think it’s less than a 20-percent chance we’ll get back together. I think there is a much better chance that there will be another Guns N’ Roses album than there will ever be a Replacements reunion.

But it’s not as if you had an ugly breakup.

Not at all. We just walked away from it.

What if Coachella offered the Replacements $5 million, which they dangled in front of the Smiths, to reunite?

We would have to consider it. I don’t know if we’d do it. But it’s not like we’re on bad terms. Every couple of years we talk about what it would take for us to come back, but we’re not doing it.

Music culture has chanced a great deal since you were with the Replacements. It appears that most fledgling artists are desperate for wealth and fame and the Replacements were the antithesis of that.

I would agree with that.

It’s all over the Mats lyrics, such as “I Don’t Know.” You could almost see Paul Westerberg sneering as he sings: “one foot in the door/ the other one in the gutter/the sweet smell that you adore/I think I’d rather smother.” If that doesn’t say I’ll pass on the brass ring, I don’t know what does.

Yeah, we didn’t go for the brass ring, but we didn’t think it was reachable anyway. 

I always thought I missed the mythic great Replacements show since the Mats were often a drunken mass, which angrily stopped midway through songs. But I realized years after you called it a day that those were the great shows since each show was different. It was happening in front of everyone.

We were genuine and Paul is like no one else. It was great to be in a band with him.

When Chinese Democracy was just some Flying Dutchman of a project, did your old pal Westerberg ever call you to see what was going on?

He called and joked and said, “Maybe I should produce the album.” He didn’t. He won’t produce the next Guns album either. I’m looking forward to the next album. It’s a good time to be in Guns N’ Roses.

You’re squeezing in a date at Philly’s MilkBoy following the Atlantic City Guns N’ Roses date. [Wednesday, Feb. 29, at MilkBoy, 1100 Chestnut St., Philadelphia. $10; 9pm.]

Yes. I’m really looking forward to that. I’m only going to be on for about 35 minutes. It’s a Pete Donnelly [NRBQ, Figgs, Soul Asylum, Graham Parker] show and it’ll be fun. I just don’t know exactly what I’ll do yet. I’m just glad I have the chance to do it.

http://www.atlanticcityweekly.com/ar...140029973.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    New GN'R album: 2018

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    New GN'R album: 2018
    For 2018 read 2035. Axl probably wouldn't be to make it if nature were allowed to take its course, but that's the downside of the advance of medical technology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    $101 for one ticket to see them at the House Of Blues in Orlando? Fuck that. I would love to see them live but there is no way I'm paying that much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

New Slash Featuring Myles Kenndy and The Conspirators single "You're A Lie"
    Last edited by W Axl Rose; 03-01-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Youtube blocked the original link.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Guns N' Roses tour dates 2012

Guns N' Roses
    Thursday, 01 March 2012 Atlanta GA
    The Tabernacle, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Saturday, 03 March 2012 Orlando FL
    House of Blues, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Monday, 05 March 2012 Miami Beach FL
    The Fillmore Miami Beach At Jackie Gleason Theater, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 09 March 2012 Los Angeles CA
    Hollywood Palladium, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Sunday, 11 March 2012 Los Angeles CA
    The Wiltern, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Monday, 12 March 2012 Los Angeles CA
    House Of Blues, United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Thursday, 17 May 2012 Dublin
    The O2, Ireland
    Guns N' Roses
    Saturday, 19 May 2012 Nottingham
    Capital FM Arena Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Sunday, 20 May 2012 Liverpool
    Echo Arena, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Wednesday, 23 May 2012 Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Metro Radio Arena Newcastle, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 25 May 2012 Glasgow
    S.E.C.C., United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Saturday, 26 May 2012 Birmingham
    LG Arena, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Tuesday, 29 May 2012 Manchester
    MEN Arena Manchester, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Thursday, 31 May 2012 London
    O2 Arena, United Kingdom
    Guns N' Roses
    Monday, 04 June 2012 Rotterdam
    Ahoy, Netherlands
    Guns N' Roses
    Tuesday, 05 June 2012 Paris
    POPB / Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 08 June 2012 Munchengladbach
    Warsteiner HockeyPark, Germany
    Guns N' Roses
    Sunday, 10 June 2012 Lyon
    Halle Tony Garnier, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Monday, 11 June 2012 Strasbourg
    Zénith Europe, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Thursday, 14 June 2012 Toulouse
    Zénith, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Saturday, 16 June 2012 Clisson
    Val de Moine, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Monday, 18 June 2012 Montpellier
    Park&Suites Arena, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Tuesday, 19 June 2012 Toulon
    Zénith Omega, France
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 22 June 2012 Milan
    Arena Fiera Milano, Italy
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 22 June 2012 Milan
    Arena Fiera Milano, Italy
    Guns N' Roses
    Sunday, 24 June 2012 Dessel
    Festivalpark de Boeretang, Belgium
    Guns N' Roses
    Wednesday, 27 June 2012 Basel
    St. Jakobshalle, Switzerland
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 29 June 2012 Graz
    SFZ - Schwarzl Freizeitzentrum, Austria
    Guns N' Roses
    Tuesday, 03 July 2012 Tel Aviv
    Gane HaTa'arucha, Israel
    Guns N' Roses
    Saturday, 07 July 2012 Sofia
    Bulgarian Army Stadium, Bulgaria
    Guns N' Roses
    Wednesday, 11 July 2012 Rybnik
    Stadion Miejski w Rybniku, Poland
    Guns N' Roses
    Friday, 20 July 2012 Castellon de la Plana
    Benicassim, Spain

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    what a clown.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Wow those are mostly small clubs in the US! I figured theyd still hit arenas...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Wow those are mostly small clubs in the US! I figured theyd still hit arenas...

They finished a 3 month US arena tour in January. These are shows to keep them warmed up before they head overseas.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    If slash and duff were on board i would make a trip to see a small venue show at wiltern or palladium...but cant bring myself to see just axl and his x men. Whatever happened to velvet revolver? That was solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    They finished a 3 month US arena tour in January. These are shows to keep them warmed up before they head overseas.
    More like they had trouble filling arenas and figured it was more profitable to gouge whatever gullible idiots fans would show up to a small venue instead of trying to groupon a bunch of unsold tickets. (Can you tell I'm bitter I missed their Orlando arena show only to find out they want 100 fucking dollars for a ticket to their next show?)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They Groupon'ed the hell out of the shows here and in Seattle, the Vancouver show was half full (via news reports and my friend who works at the venue), of our 3rd biggest arena.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Courtesy of Moggio at Metal Sludge:

What most of you don't understand about The Up Close & Personal tour, is that A) they've already played arena shows in ALL of these markets a few months ago. B) ticket prices for this particular tour are much higher than the aforementioned arena shows in the fall. So of course attendance isn't going to be arena-sized. And C) as far as these three LA shows are concerned, they make sense to me now. Because when GNR only played one arena show in LA at the Forum two months ago, I knew they didn't meet demand. So these three shows at the House Of Blues, Wiltern & Palladium meets that extra demand not captured by the sole Forum show in December. And of course, a small percentage of fans who attended the Forum show will return to see these three new shows...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    If slash and duff were on board i would make a trip to see a small venue show at wiltern or palladium...but cant bring myself to see just axl and his x men. Whatever happened to velvet revolver? That was solid.
    If Slash and Duff were on board, GNR would be selling out the same size venues here in the US that they do overseas. VR is on hiatus. They did a one-off reunion show to benefit one of Weiland and Dave Kushner's friends a few months back. Other than that Slash is focusing on his new solo album with Myles Kennedy. Scroll up a few posts to hear their new song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Courtesy of Moggio at Metal Sludge:

What most of you don't understand about The Up Close & Personal tour, is that A) they've already played arena shows in ALL of these markets a few months ago. B) ticket prices for this particular tour are much higher than the aforementioned arena shows in the fall. So of course attendance isn't going to be arena-sized. And C) as far as these three LA shows are concerned, they make sense to me now. Because when GNR only played one arena show in LA at the Forum two months ago, I knew they didn't meet demand. So these three shows at the House Of Blues, Wiltern & Palladium meets that extra demand not captured by the sole Forum show in December. And of course, a small percentage of fans who attended the Forum show will return to see these three new shows...
    That's a special kind of delusion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's sad really...I did like Chinese Democracy because I took it as an album by The Axl Rose Experience (starring Axl Rose), instead of GNR. It was pretentious in a Meat Loaf way.

However, until I hear some new songs or new album news (insert joke here), I could care less about them as a whole. I know four years is nothing compared to the ChiDem waiting period, but you'd think there would be some semblance of a new track or two instead of just trotting out the same old songs over and over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Premier Guitar recently caught up with Dj and Richard to get a tour of their respective guitar rigs that they use on tour: Dj Ashba and his tech Chris Whitemyer talk about Dj's guitar rig:

#!

Richard Fortus talks about his guitar rig:

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    DJ Ashba's customized guitars look so fucking cheesy; honestly, who on earth would buy miniaturized replicas? Clown heads, Balinese hats and clothing lines... c'mon, bro.

I want to like the latest Guns lineup, truly. I liked Chinese Democracy and support Axl doing whatever he wants with the band he started. That said, he could've picked someone who doesn't embody the WORST aspects of braindead L.A. culture to replace Robin Finck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    DJ Ashba's customized guitars look so fucking cheesy; honestly, who on earth would buy miniaturized replicas? Clown heads, Balinese hats and clothing lines... c'mon, bro.

I want to like the latest Guns lineup, truly. I liked Chinese Democracy and support Axl doing whatever he wants with the band he started. That said, he could've picked someone who doesn't embody the WORST aspects of braindead L.A. culture to replace Robin Finck.

I have no problem with Ashba. Someone is buying his shit. I bet he makes more money from this than he does from Guns right now: In 2003 Ashba founded Ashba Media, Inc. This creative agency was announced the Agency of Record for Virgin Entertainment. AMI designs the look and feel of every Virgin Megastore. They also have other clients, such as Ovation guitars, Royal Underground and many more. Daren owns two corporations, Ashba Media, Inc. which handles the art side of things and Ashbaland, Inc. which handles the music side of things.[26] Ashba contributed to Mötley Crüe's 2008 album Saints of Los Angeles penning all tracks with the exception of This Ain't a Love Song.[27] The title track Saints of Los Angeles was nominated for a Grammy the same year.

Anyway, he is one of the only "new" guys in Guns that has written a hit (SIXX:A.M./Motley). I would like to hear the rest of the ChiDem material first. Knowing Axl he will let Frank and Dj record over Brain and Bucket's parts and Lord knows how long that will take. No way the record company puts anything else out without having some kind of promotional plan in place with an agreement from Axl to do some show/interviews/tv performances etc.

I will say that this new managament team of Beta/Fernando etc. has accomplished more than anyone else in the last 15 years with GnR. Maybe it's because Axl trusts them and considers them like family. Now we have a running website (http://gunsnroses.com) a fan club,live streams of shows,The UCAP club tour and a massive Summer Tour already in place. Not to mention the RNRHOF which I am sure will end up being an endless source of amusement for the GnR haters on here.
    Last edited by W Axl Rose; 03-06-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    That's a special kind of delusion.
    Use Your Delusion?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I have no problem with Ashba. Someone is buying his shit. I bet he makes more money from this than he does from Guns right now: In 2003 Ashba founded Ashba Media, Inc. This creative agency was announced the Agency of Record for Virgin Entertainment. AMI designs the look and feel of every Virgin Megastore. They also have other clients, such as Ovation guitars, Royal Underground and many more. Daren owns two corporations, Ashba Media, Inc. which handles the art side of things and Ashbaland, Inc. which handles the music side of things.
    I own two "corporations" myself, and that doesn't make me qualified to walk in those shoes, either (I guess Ashba pissed on those shoes when he walked in and kicked them out the door). You can pay one for interactive multimedia design and copywriting, the other for my audio consultation services, and then I'll give you my professional opnion on the matter: he looks like a fucking poseur with no credibility, and his Grammy nomination can go fuck itself.
    Last edited by botley; 03-06-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it's brutally obvious that dude is a huge poseur. it doesn't just look that way. The nerve to try and pull off Slash-esque headgear on stage is...there are no words.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I like the TR Robin Finck / Aaron North reference in Botley's post!

On the one hand I'd like to say that if Axl lost the ego and got back together with the original line-up everything would be hunky dory, but I was fed up with Guns live even when Slash was still in the band - I saw them in 1991, 1992 and 1993 and by the third time in the pissing rain at Milton Keynes I was so bored by the indulgent soloing, boring meandering November Rain, I was determined never to see them again. However, I think I'd change my mind if I got the chance to see them in a club or something and they played all of Appetite for Destruction.

They did introduce me to NIN though so props to that

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I actually feel this is a pretty tight set — if they were to tweak the mix a bit and add a few more camera angles, it'd make a decent official live release.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3/12/12 show @ House Of Blues in LA:

Intro
    Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr. Browstone
    Sorry
    You're Crazy
    Rocket Queen
    Estranged
    4tus Solo
    Live and Let Die
    This I Love
    Used To Love Her
    Dead Flowers (Cover)
    Motivation (Tommy on Vocals)
    Shackler's Revenge
    Dizzy Solo
    Street Of Dreams
    You Could Be Mine
    Ashba Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Another Brick In The Wall
    November Rain
    Ron Solo
    Don't Cry
    Better
    Civil War
    My Michelle
    Knocking On Heaven's Door
    Mama Kin
    Jam
    Nightrain

Jam
    Madagascar
    Whole lotta Rosie
    Jam
    Patience
    Jam
    Paradise City

Events :
    First Dead Flowers performance in 19 years
    First Mama Kin performance in 20 years
    Axl Piano is white.
    Brain played bongos.
    Robin Finck played lead guitar on Better.
    My Michelle w/ Sebastian Bach.
    Eddie Trunk in the building

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That actually looks pretty entertaining. I just sincerely wish I cared about this group as "GN'R." I saw Slash and Myles last year (it rocked) and a few VR shows, but I just can't help feeling I wouldn't be into this one. Thanks for the setlist though, quite interesting.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Say what you will about GNR, but they do play a LOT of songs, which is commendable. You can't say you don't get your money's worth song-wise.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I actually would enjoy most of that set - although I'd get rid of November Rain and add Coma, Locomotive and Double Talking Jive from Use Your Illusion. Scrap the solos, they're session musicians for fuck's sake, I never liked the soloing from Slash. and does Axl think doing a song with Sebastian Bach adds credibility in 2012 or is LA really still an insulated bubble?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Thats quite a set!