Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Hope so, I really liked Chinese Democracy and would love to hear what else the band recorded from that era.
    I've always liked Chinese Democracy and just gave it a lot of time to grow on me, and I certainly don't regret getting it at all. It also keeps reminding me of Dr Pepper, which I thankfully also like. It's too bad that the thing they attempted to do with Dr Pepper didn't work out though, even though I could see and admit how that would be so.

And while I liked most of it, There Was A Time, IRS, and Madagascar have been my most favorite songs so far. I still need to give it more of a proper listen though, as it's been a while. Depending on my mood, I've also liked Chinese Democracy, Better and Street Of Dreams.

By the way, assuming that you also post in any Guns N' Roses forums, which one would you recommend these days? mygnrforum.com looks pretty good so far.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Kris, you can try Here Today Gone to Hell forums as well. The owner is pretty tight with Axl but there is good and bad.

Good, Axl reads the stuff and communicates with fans, but the last was probably in 08/09

con...they tend to censor a lot of negative GN' R stuff and the owner Jarmo comes across as an Axl asskisser. But still its a huge community of fans.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Kris, you can try Here Today Gone to Hell forums as well. The owner is pretty tight with Axl but there is good and bad.

Good, Axl reads the stuff and communicates with fans, but the last was probably in 08/09

con...they tend to censor a lot of negative GN' R stuff and the owner Jarmo comes across as an Axl asskisser. But still its a huge community of fans.
    Yup, all true. The one negative about mygnr is a lot of bitter old-school fans rehash the same things over and over and can't accept that Axl has moved on.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    All the GnR forums are balls. HTGTH was the best one they had but its a ghost town now. I wouldn't recommend any of them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have always liked MyGNR best though yes it's quite a ghost town too.

Their threads about DJ Ashba are quite funny though...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    MYGNR is probably the most active board. Some of the Ashba posts are funny, but the constant bashing of the guy gets kind of old and repetitive.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what he brings to the table. Buckethead and Robin Finck were both much better musicians, IMHO. At least they still have Ron, for now.

Looks like the DVD is doing well:
    http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=50466
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-13-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    finally got my blu ray from Amazon after some issues with stock.

Excellent! I have only watched it in 2-D so far (ran out of batteries for 3D specs)

It is just so great seeing the band on my TV and to actually buy something official!

A bad point though. some songs seem out of sync with the picture.

Besides enjoying the Chinese tracks, thought the versions of Civil War and Nightrain were gooood!
    Patience was also funny thanks to the band's reaction to Ashba.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Happy 27th Birthday! Time really flies...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've been on a GNR kick as of late as I spent part of the weekend watching their 2001 Rock in Rio show. That was a great performance and the crowd.... HOLY SHIT!!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I've been on a GNR kick as of late as I spent part of the weekend watching their 2001 Rock in Rio show. That was a great performance and the crowd.... HOLY SHIT!!!!
    Yeah, shame that the Buckethead/Finck linup didn't last longer.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yeah, shame that the Buckethead/Finck linup didn't last longer.
    That is a great line-up as I prefer that one over the new one though I do like Bumblefoot. DJ Ashba looks like a 'tard.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm a bit surprised that I didn't really speak in this thread that much. However, I also haven't been listening to Guns N' Roses in a while. Anyway, while I can see, understand and admit the disappointments and criticisms, it seems like the best Guns N' Roses CDs would have to be Appetite For Destruction, Lies, Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II. For me, it's very hard to see Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II as disappointments either, with the exception of those that are not into double albums due to being bloated, or even having lots of filler, which in that case, I'd also admit that it could've/might've also been better as 12-15+ songs instead.

And while I also liked "The Spaghetti Incident?", that kind of sound at the time would've seemed great for a new album of its own as opposed to cover songs, but that's just me. I'm guessing there might've been disappointment over that, since I'd understand if a lot of fans back in 1993 would've also liked a new album instead. And while there have been longer gaps in between albums, it's still quite the wait to look at and think about from 1991 to 2008 in between Use Your Illusion I, Use Your Illusion II, and Chinese Democracy. 17 years... and I, for several obvious reasons thought that Chinese Democracy would've never come out. And well... but of course I'd also know not to hold my breath for the Chinese Democracy's follow-up LP either. It also seems "TBA" in 2015 though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-22-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that I didn't really speak in this thread that much. However, I also haven't been listening to Guns N' Roses in a while. Anyway, while I can see, understand and admit the disappointments and criticisms, it seems like the best Guns N' Roses CDs would have to be Appetite For Destruction, Lies, Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II. For me, it's very hard to see Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II as disappointments either, with the exception of those that are not into double albums due to being bloated, or even having lots of filler, which in that case, I'd also admit that it could've/might've also been better as 12-15+ songs instead.

And while I also liked "The Spaghetti Incident?", that kind of sound at the time would've seemed great for a new album of its own as opposed to cover songs, but that's just me. I'm guessing there might've been disappointment over that, since I'd understand if a lot of fans back in 1993 would've also liked a new album instead. And while there have been longer gaps in between albums, it's still quite the wait to look at and think about from 1991 to 2008 in between Use Your Illusion I, Use Your Illusion II, and Chinese Democracy. 17 years... and I, for several obvious reasons thought that Chinese Democracy would've never come out. And well... but of course I'd also know not to hold my breath for the Chinese Democracy's follow-up LP either. It also seems "TBA" in 2015 though.
    A lot of people will tell you that Guns N' Roses should have combined the best songs from the Use Your Illusion albums and made one CD instead of two. While I think some fat could have been cut ("You Ain't the First," "Get in the Ring," "Shotgun Blues" and a few more)-maybe trimming each disc down to 60-70 minutes, I still feel that there is enough strong material to warrant two separate albums. There's a lot of great songs like "Pretty Tied Up" and "Locomotive" that most non-hardcore fans aren't familiar with.

As for The Spaghetti Incident?, I've always liked it, but GN'R should have released a new album in '93/'94 instead. Some people will tell you that Nirvana killed GN'R, but really, the band self-destructed. If GN'R had released a new album in the mid-90s, they could have been in the same boat as Bon Jovi/Aerosmith/Van Halen, who all released hit albums during the grunge years. As it was The Spaghetti Incident? was a pretty crappy swan-song to a great band.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-22-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I actually like how the Illusions were released as 2 albums.

Personally feel there are no fillers, yes I love My World too!

til today I have to say UYI II is still my fave album from the band

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    not a bad cover

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    so rumor is Bumblefoot has left the band based on his social networking accounts...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That's been rumored for quite a while now. That's a bummer if true.

Hoping that they can get another great player. DJ Ashba alone won't cut it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeh ever since he hurt his back among other things, everyone's been speculating on the inevitable.

Ashba is really pretty average, not sure who Axl can convince to join the band now.

on a side note, I really like Fortus!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I wouldn't mind seeing Buckethead make a return.

I just don't understand why Axl or a rep don't communicate the status of the band or why they can't just release material that's already been recorded?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A certain Mr Finck will soon be available. (although isn't he doing a solo album?)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Slash has a new CD out, World of Fire. ​I'd post the link to listen via streaming, but can't seem to figure that out on my tablet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Does he still wear that lil hat?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Dizzy's a "founding member" now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Dizzy's a "founding member" now?
    I think it means he's a founding member of Hookers &Blow along with Alex. I guess the other 2 are newer members.Dizzy has a decent voice and he plays a few Gn'R tunes that Axl doesn't touch these days like Pretty Tied Up and Bad Obsession. For $10 it's a fun night out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Guns N’ Roses keyboardist Dizzy Reed told the VH1 Radio Network (via Blabbermouth) earlier this week that a lot of new Guns N’ Roses material is close to being finished, and that it could be coming soon.
    “There’s a lot of material that’s already done and I think it’s in the process of being finished and eventually we’ll pick out which songs need to come out with which other songs. So that’s in the works. Hopefully it will be out really soon.”
    Reed told The Pulse Of Radio that there is both older and newer material lurking around. “We’ve all been at it,” he said. “We’ve all been, you know, handing files back and forth to one another in various combinations of different people, but also there is quite a bit of material that still needs to be finished and needs to be released. And so one or both of those things is gonna happen.”
    Duff McKagan commented on the possibility of recording with Guns N’ Roses again in a recent interview with The Blairing Out With Eric Blair Show, “I never say never to anything, actually, these days. I’ve kind of learned. You never know what’s around the corner. And all that aside, I’m just glad he and I were able to get together and talk about some stuff and then laugh about a lot of other shit that happened.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/new...eing-finished/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hard-rock chaos-crooners Guns N' Roses are getting a Hollywood biopic. Adapted from Marc Canter's 2008 GNR biography, Reckless Road: Guns N' Roses and the Making of Appetite for Destruction, the upcoming flick will not be a documentary, but it will be "very detailed" with "no short cuts."
    Posting to GNR's message board, Canter outlined a few details: "I do have a big say so on the script which is still being put together now but so far looking cool. I am going to see that everyone in the cast is doing their job and doing justice to the band. Since I was there, I know what the dialog was between the band for many of the events that took place. When you find out who is making the movie, you will then understand that it will be very cool. I'm proud of all the hard work that was put into this project and it's just going to KICK ASS! In no way will it be a cheesy movie like Rock Star. There really is such a great story here that even the outtakes will be great."
    Oh, and before you ask, no, Axl Rose will not be involved. "As you all know Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live," confirmed Canter. Well, no surprise there.
    No word yet on a release date or casting. But may we take this opportunity to suggest a few titles? How about "Make You Bleed: the Guns N' Roses Story." Or "Where Do We Go Now: Mullets, Metal & Mayhem."

http://www.spin.com/articles/guns-n-...n=spinfacebook