Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Note To Self: If I knew back then, what I know right now.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Note To Self: If I knew back then, what I know right now.

This is an idea that I actually got from NIN.com. Post helpful reminders and general pieces of advice you've given to yourself that you'd be willing to share here.

Note to self: Only post in Internet forums and social networking sites when you're happy, comfortable, and relaxed with more than enough free time to spare.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Immediately stop drinking when you realize you've started to remember things from your last blackout.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Do NOT eat mexican food food before a punk show.

When you are so drunk that you try and open a pack of cigarettes SIDEWAYS, you need to go to bed.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Note to self: the awkward, unpopular kids in high school will be the ones hiring the trendy, popular kids in about a decade. Be happy to be the odd one.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: Infatuation is NOT love. (Times Infinity!!!)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-04-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Note to self: When it's obvious someone doesn't care about you anymore, just let go.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: School is about getting a JOB, which means having a chance at earning a living which is EVERYTHING about SURVIVAL and gaining a sense of PRIDE and having a reason to wake up in the morning. Just cut the bull and get shit done!

(I wish this was hammered into to my head way before I turned 13.)

-Don't get me wrong though. I see how school can be about other things, including developing social skills, finding your niche in terms of your occupational endeavors and overall career path, and learning how to properly function in a civilized society, which is AKA staying out of trouble and prison.-

Oh yeah, and for another note to self.

Note to self: Stop doing things that will require you to forgive yourself.

But of course, it's never that simple. It would be nice if I was able to completely do that though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    note to self: If it smells like shit, it's probably shit and you should leave it alone.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Note to self: Infatuation is NOT love. (Times Infinity!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanp16 View Post
    Note to self: When it's obvious someone doesn't care about you anymore, just let go.
    Both of you guys are talking to me, right? lol

Note to self: If my future self could tell my present self anything, it would be that it's not that serious. Relax.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Don't sleep with him. Just wait a little while.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

But more seriously: just be patient, you'll get laid and find love in a while; focus on other stuff in the meantime instead of losing your shit.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @aggroculture - I really needed that because it's a very subtle kind of take-over on my emotions. I'm thankful to have snapped out of it. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: If you have to ask, you sometimes must accept that fact that the very fact that you are asking questions immediately proves that you or whatever it is that you're asking about is wrong. Controversial, moral, ethical, personal, hypothetical, and rhetorical questions are often asking for trouble. This also includes questions that are intended to figure out other people's personalities and motives. Sometimes it's better to just remain quiet, let it go, forget about it, mind your own business, leave others alone, and walk away. Always think before you ask, and remember to do your best to not rock the boat.

And last, but definitely not least, don't even think that you can also sugarcoat such questions in a presentable and appropriate manner. There's just no way. Just drop it as soon as you notice that it can't be done.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    nts: crotch fever doth not a long term situation make.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Note to Self: She'll turn into someone very, very ugly on the inside. Let her go the first time she knocks you down, instead of the eighth.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Hey, me in the future, listen up. I want a ham sandwich. But a GOOD one, from a nice deli.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Call her dlb you idiot, call her!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Hey, me in the future, listen up. I want a ham sandwich. But a GOOD one, from a nice deli.
    ham is a little dry.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: Don't feel so bad for not saying anything or that much in social settings when you're not ignoring the other person or people surrounding you. There is also no reason to feel bad about not smiling or laughing in social settings either. As long as you're not frowning, or giving people dirty looks, you shouldn't be at fault for keeping a straight face. Don't allow people to make you feel bad for such things. Refusing to show emotion is not a crime, especially among strangers.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    If you want respect, give respect...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This goes back to the mental health thread, but...

Note to self: those medications you're on are prescribed for a reason and bad things happen when you don't take them.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Some friendships deserve second chances. People can make mistakes and still be good. Holding grudges over petty shit gets you nowhere.

Also, don't start doing any drugs harder than weed. It will be the great mistake of your life, and lead to an endless shit storm of various forms of abuse, dropping out of college, and just being a general fuck up for many, many years. You will lose what are supposed to be the greatest years of your life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just because they are relatives, does not mean they deserve to stay in your life. You have to cut the toxic people out, relatives or not.
    Quit giving a fuck about what people think about you

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: People grow apart sooner and more than you think. You don't have to wait until you're around ages 30 to 40 to see people actually leaving your home-town. That can happen as early as ages 18-25 as far as early adulthood goes. Try not to get too surprised when you see that happen to other people's social circles as well. That's actually normal, since college degrees and marriages literally take people places, even if that means relocating to a new home in a different city, state, or country.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: Fake it until you make it. Literally and seriously. No truer words can be said in the real world. You have to stop your absolutely silent and absolutely direct approaches to life. (This thread was actually helping me, but I thought I'd at least bump this thread on more time for the road in regards to this piece of advice, since this shit finally hit me over the head like a ton of bricks.)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You hate to trust yourself more than anything in this world.

I always repeat myself the Henry Rollins catchphrase: "You can only trust yourself and the first 4 Black Sabbath albums..."

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Note to self: Do not act and post the exactly the same way on social-networking sites the same way you act on Internet forums. It's obviously a much more personal environment. (And yes, that's another thing that I learned late in life. I'm also speaking for myself, since things didn't seem to go so right when I acted exactly the same way on both types of sites.)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I know I've been bumping this thread several times, but I really wanted to get this out of my system before I forget it, so that I can look it up here again in case I actually do. This is also common sense, but my emotions have gotten the best of me many times. It's what I've learned after learning to find more ways to cope with infatuation.

Note to self: Sometimes, it's just not meant to be. You really are better off just forgetting about it, so you can actually let go and move on. If a friendship doesn't work out, just let it go and move on. You aren't doing yourself or the other person/people any favors if you keep trying to pursue something that doesn't exist, and hasn't existed. Besides, friendship should never be forced to begin with, and some things are not only better off left unsaid, but are also understood without anything having to be said in the first place. There are also more unwritten rules that you think from time to time.

This can also apply to arguments. It's true that being right can also make you miserable. If it's really not going anywhere, nor will it ever go anywhere, just stop talking about it, leave the topics alone, leave them alone, and leave them, so you can move on. The other person/people you've been arguing would probably even thank you for giving them a break for you, especially if that break has to be a permanent one. It's not like they're the only people in the world you can find. There's many other people you can try to make new friends with, and hopefully get along with. Continuing any argument like that is akin to responding to a thread that has gone to nothing but complete and absolute shit.

To sum up the whole point, if it's not meant to be, you're just better off going away.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-21-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    ham is a little dry.
    The ham is a little dry? Damn you to hell monkey hand!

or something along those lines

/homer

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The ham is a little dry? Damn you to hell monkey hand!

or something along those lines

/homer
    the frogurt is also cursed.