8. Moneyball
    9. 50/50
    10. We Need To Talk About Kevin
    11. War Horse
    12. Midnight In Paris
    13. Melancholia
    14. The Muppets
    15. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, PRT2
    Last edited by Collin; 03-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My top films of the year so far :

Jane Eyre
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Tomboy
    A Dangerous Method
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Drive was very good. My friend screamed through the violent parts, sort of embarrassing. Hope Ryan Gosling is recognized for his role.
    I haven't seen Tree of Life or HP Deathly Hallows 2 yet. Both are On demand. Hope to watch one this week.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The only good films I've seen from this year are Moneyball and Harry Potter 7-2. Really really want to see The Tree of Life and Jane Eyre.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed both Harry Potter and Moneyball but I saw a limited release called Another Earth, I thought it was great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So far, the two best films I've seen all year are Drive and Hugo. Both of which heavily deserve Best Picture noms in my book.

There are still a few more films I want to see, though, before I sit down and create a definite Best Of 2011 list.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So far...

1. The Tree of Life
    2. Drive
    3. Melancholia
    4. Midnight in Paris
    5. Hugo
    6. The Skin I Live In
    7. 50/50
    8. Moneyball
    9. George Harrison: Living in the Material World
    10. Pearl Jam Twenty

There's still a lot of stuff I want to see. I'll be pissed if Terrence Malick doesn't get a Best Director Oscar nod.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    1. The Tree of Life
    2. Shame
    3. Take Shelter
    4. Midnight in Paris
    5. Drive
    6. Moneyball
    7. We Need to Talk About Kevin

I really hope Michael Fassbender gets an Oscar nomination for Shame. I saw it when it first premiered at TIFF and watched it again tonight, and it's one of the most harrowing movies I have ever seen. Fassbender's performance is incredible.

I have yet to watch Beginners, but it looks great and it's also been winning a lot of awards recently. Very excited for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Carnage too. Definite Oscar contenders, both of them.

I really recommend Take Shelter if anybody hasn't seen it yet. It's unbelievably good.
    Last edited by Morad; 12-02-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely Drive and Melancholia, the latter being the stronger contender in my book.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yeah Shame is supposed to be no joke. very excited to see it.

Melancholia was surprisingly very good. I went it pretty skeptical bc Antichrist was alot of hype and ended up being ridiuclous to me. Melacholia was shot beautifully, Dunst is very good, and the story was interesting.

REALLY wanna see Rampart, Mary Marcy whatever, that Storm movie with Michael Shannon, Dragon Tattoo of course, that documentary about the Limelight club, and Moneyball.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post
    I really recommend Take Shelter if anybody hasn't seen it yet. It's unbelievably good.
    Oh yeah that was a great film. The scene at the end inside the shelter was powerful stuff. Michael Shannon hit it out of the park in this role. I also really loved the subtle explanation for the "oil rain" on the beach at the very end. Took me a second to figure it out, but once I got it was floored. Great great film that will sadly probably be massively overlooked by the Academy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Big hopes for Drive to win it all, but at most I'm realistically expecting Albert Brooks to win best supporting actor.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was a fucking amazing film, brilliant casting too. I hope it at least gets a nom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Drive is the only good movie I've seen this year.
    To me, it's been a rather shit year for movies but fuck does Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ever look good.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah We Need To Talk About Kevin just skyrocketed to the top of my list. I cannot even.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just watched Melancholia. While the first part was awfully tedious at times, and felt really disconnected from the second half of the film, I think Kirsten Dunst was amazing and would like to see her get a Best Actress nom.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just posted an unofficial list of the best films of 2011. There's still a bunch of films I want to see as I want to go for 50.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Best:
    Drive
    The Help
    Source Code
    Cowboys and Aliens (yeah I loved it)
    Another Earth (enjoyed this a lot more than Melancholia)
    The Mill and the Cross (brilliant film about a Brueghel painting with Rutger Hauer)
    The Black Power Mixtape (I liked this but it was a bit too long)

Worst:
    Sucker Punch
    The Tree of Life
    Melancholia
    Shame
    A Dangerous Method
    Captain America
    The Other F Word

Good, but not great:
    Red State
    Limitless

So-so/disappointing:
    The Descendants
    Midnight in Paris
    Contagion
    Hanna
    Super 8 (what a bunch of pointless hype)
    Sleeping Beauty (Breillat)
    I Saw the Devil (I love me some Oldboy but this was awful)
    The Adjustment Bureau (Philip K Dick is turning in his grave)

Will not see:
    Moneyball (saw the trailer and this looks sooo unappealing)
    Bridesmaids (ditto)
    Carnage (Polanski just fuck off already)
    Tintin / Warhorse

Want to see:
    The Artist
    The Iron Lady
    Last edited by aggroculture; 01-02-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just watched Martha Marcy May Marlene last night, why am I the first to bring it up in here? I haven't seen a lot of movies this year so I can't really make a best of list but this was extremely well shot with amazing performances, all around a very powerful film.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    aggroculture trollin hard

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Changed my list to:

HP part 2
    Another Earth
    We Need to Talk about Kevin
    Dragon Tattoo
    Jane Eyre
    The Artist

In no particular order.

Honorable mentions.

Drive
    Crazy Stupid Love

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Drive and 50/50 I would like to see get some recognition. Melncholia was oook. The first half of the film was pretty pretentious, but it was shot beautifully. The second half of the film was very good and very dark. You can really feel that the world was ending for these people.

Drive all the way though. So original and amazingly shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Surprised to see no mention of Warrior or Submarine. Definitely two of my favorite this year. Probably not Oscar contenders but I enjoyed them a lot more than some movies that probably will be.

Also enjoyed Meloncholia, Drive, 50/50, Crazy Stupid Love, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Midnight in Paris, Super 8, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Contagion, Bridesmaids, Moneyball. Still need to see Shame, A Dangerous Method, Hugo, Take Shelter, The Tree of Life, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

If The Trip was like this for the entire movie (and from what I understand, there was more of it in the mini-series), it would have dethrone Drive ​easily.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ....Am I the only person who really liked X-Men: First Class? I know the chances of an Oscar nom are about nil, but I thought McAvoy and Fassbender turned in some nice performances.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Double-post: In case you need your memory jogged, here's a nicely edited 2011 Portfolio (and I think you'll recognize the first few songs):

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadezuki View Post
    ....Am I the only person who really liked X-Men: First Class? I know the chances of an Oscar nom are about nil, but I thought McAvoy and Fassbender turned in some nice performances.
    Hah, I thought I was the only one who didn't like it. I'll certainly agree that the acting was strong though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hanna was a nice surprise, and the lead was strong in my opinion.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    not oscar fodder either, but i thoroughly enjoyed the muppets... otherwise, been trying to make time for a dangerous method and melancholia...but it likely won't happen for a bit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night and, while it was definitely one of the better films of 2011, I was left a tiny bit let down. I haven't read the book, but I honestly don't think that should be a requirement to gain character development, the movie should offer that as well. This is where it falters a bit. The film really lost the viewer on "who's who" and "who are they talking about again?" since no one, aside from Smiley, was ever really established and there are so many characters. As a viewer, playing catch-up makes you miss more and therefore play catch-up again. It's an intricate story (and I loved how it came together like a puzzle as the stories were revealed,) great acting, and overall one of the better films of the year... but not the best.

Reminded me A LOT of DeNiro's The Good Shepherd - came out very confused on the first viewing, probably make more sense some year down the road when I watch it again.

Btw, if like me you're unfamiliar with the novel - don't let the trailers fool you into thinking this is a intense thriller pacing-wise, it's very slow and deliberate. Not a complaint on my part, just a misleading trailer.
    Last edited by butters; 01-09-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling