Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Films of 2011/ Oscar Predictions

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    The only thing I'm still a little frustrated by was the lack of Fincher recognition. How long did it take for Scorsese to get an Oscar again? I have a feeling the same thing's gonna happen with Mr. Fincher.
    Nah. There's no schmaltz or reverence in Fincher's work; he may be one of the finest artists in the medium but I have a hard time seeing him ever appealing to the octogenarian Oscar votership. Then again, I suppose until the 2000s when his work became a little lighter and mainstream, you could have said the same about Scorsese.

Just throwing this out there, am I the only person in the world who thought The Artist was utterly unworthy in all but the acting and music categories?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Screenplay for The Artist: http://issuu.com/cinemoi/docs/the-artist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Who were all those nobodies on the red carpet?

Also. STUNNING...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And totally disappointed Werner Herzog wasn't there to bitch slap that cunt Wim Wenders.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Am I the only one who watched it? Really?
    I've only missed an Oscars night once in my life, when I had a night class back when they telecast it on weeknights.

Christopher Plummer; it's about time his talent is recognized!
    Amen, sister!!

I wish they'd completely shitcan all that schmaltzy presenter schtick, it's so stupid.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Christoher Plummer seems like the sweetest most genuine old hollywood geezer around. I saw his speech for the Golden Globes and it was probably one of the most humble speeches I've ever heard and the oscar speech was no different. Total class act.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not a terrible ceremony even if the winners were almost as predictable as the nominations. Dean fuckin' Pelton has an Oscar... absolutely awesome.

The Indie Spirit Awards the night before were ten times better, though thats's probably because they recognized better films.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Hugo was a pretty good movie but in NO way deserved all the technical awards it won. Best Visual Effects?! Over ALL of those other nominees? Thats insane.

These oscars felt like "hmm, not much out there, i guess we could nominate this..." even though there were good movies for sure, a lot of it felt forced. Not that it would be the first time for the oscars.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Watched Hugo last night and honestly, until it got to Papa Georges' story, I found it rather boring. And what is with all the English accents in a movie set in Paris?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The British accent is Hollywood code for "not American, but non-threatening, and intelligible".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elementroejoy View Post
    These oscars felt like "hmm, not much out there, i guess we could nominate this..." even though there were good movies for sure, a lot of it felt forced. Not that it would be the first time for the oscars.
    I thought 2011 was a very strong year for film, maybe the best since (the AMAZING) 2007. Mind you, I'm not necessarily talking about the Oscar recognitions, just the year-in-film in general. I do agree the nominations were meh.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Watched Hugo last night and honestly, until it got to Papa Georges' story, I found it rather boring.
    I was surprised by this film and sorta enjoyed it, but it did have a serious identity crisis. The best part of it was Georges' story, but for a "kid's movie," I'd assume they could give a shit about Georges. It was kinda weird in that regard.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The British accent is Hollywood code for "not American, but non-threatening, and intelligible".
    Ha, yes! Just like in Prince of Persia.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    The best part of it was Georges' story, but for a "kid's movie," I'd assume they could give a shit about Georges. It was kinda weird in that regard.
    I think this is because Hugo is fundamentally not a movie meant for kids in the common understanding of a "kid's movie", but one dressed with that descriptor primarily by a studio finding difficulty with how to market the project.

On the other hand, I think Scorsese would very much like to consider it a movie for kids, in that he sought somehow to convey the sense of wonder and magic of the cinema, and he wishes for younger audiences to see this and be excited in a way very much like the young Martin.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    On the other hand, I think Scorsese would very much like to consider it a movie for kids, in that he sought somehow to convey the sense of wonder and magic of the cinema, and he wishes for younger audiences to see this and be excited in a way very much like the young Martin.
    Having not seen the film, this is something I can't understand. Isn't it just about a couple of kids fucking around in a train station? Where's the 'wonder of cinema' element?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Nah, that's not what it's about. You should check it out—it was released on DVD and Blu-Ray this past week.