Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Films of 2011/ Oscar Predictions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay guys, Oscar nominations are officially being posted tomorrow morn'. Any nomination predictions?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    After seeing The Artist on Saturday, I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to win Best Picture although I want The Tree of Life to win that award.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night... I haven't read the book, but I honestly don't think that should be a requirement to gain character development, the movie should offer that as well.
    Obviously you shouldn't have to read a book to understand a movie, you're absolutely right.

That being said, and aside from the issues with the current film, I very highly recommend both the book and the 1979 BBC television adaptation starring Alec Guinness. They're both great, great work.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw Shame last night, and shit, that movie deserves Oscar noms left and right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Alright, I'll post my nominations predictions. These aren't the films I necessarily liked this year, but just films that I feel the academy will likely pick. (they can be a bit predictable sometimes.)

Best Pic:

Obvious Choices:

The Artist
    The Descendents

Very Likely:

Hugo
    Midnight In Paris
    Moneyball
    The Help

50/50 Chance:

War Horse
    Tree of Life

What I would want, but not extremely likely (but has a chance):

Drive
    Dragon Tattoo
    Tinker Tailor Solider Spy
    Shame (probably not due to content, which sucks, but the academy can be like that sometimes. dicks.)
    Melancholia

They said they're picking something between 5 and 10 best pic choices, which makes it hard to make an exact list. but i'll just assume they're gonna do a full ten again, here's my final list of picks-

The Artist
    The Descendents
    Hugo
    Moneyball
    Midnight In Paris
    The Help
    War Horse
    The Tree of Life
    Drive (maybe a little biased cuz I love it, but come on, the academy has to recognize something about this.)

Best Director:

Locks-

Alexender Payne- The Descendents
    Martin Scorsese- Hugo
    Michel Hazanavicius- The Artist

toss between-

Terence Malick- Tree of Life
    Spielberg- War Horse
    Allen- Midnight In Paris
    Whoever the fuck directed The Help (meh)

hope that Refn gets one for Drive, but idk about the oscars sometimes.

I'll also do Best Actor and Actress while I'm at it.

Best Actor:

George Clooney- The Descendents
    Micheal Fassbender- Shame
    Jean Dujardin- The Artist
    Brad Pitt- Moneyball

for Num 5, it's a toss up between

Oldman- TTSS
    Gosling- Drive or Ides of March
    Wilson- Midnight in Paris

Actress:

Michelle Williams- My Week With Marilyn
    Viola Davis- The Help
    Rooney Mara- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    Meryl Streep- The Iron Lady
    Tilda Swinton- We Need To Talk About Kevin

We'll see!
    Last edited by Collin; 01-24-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Drive will unfortunately get snubbed so hard. Just like at the globes, the only nomination, if it gets anything will be Albert Brooks. I think that hands down if Nicolas Winding-Refn deserves best director. But if Oscar politics are going to get in the way, which they will, it should go to Scorsese.

I think Best Pic will be:

The Descendents
    The Artist
    The Help
    The Tree Of The Life
    The Warhorse
    The Midnight In Paris
    The Moneyball
    The Hugo

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wholeheartedly agree on 'Shame'. Flawed, but so very, very good. So good.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I really don't get the enormous love for "The Artist". Don't get me wrong, it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm getting the vibe that its impact is completely overestimated. Is it Hollywood wallowing on nostalgia?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I really don't get the enormous love for "The Artist". Don't get me wrong, it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm getting the vibe that its impact is completely overestimated. Is it Hollywood wallowing on nostalgia?
    Yes. Although personally I didn't enjoy it at all - there was no flair or dynamism in the cinematography and direction, so it didn't feel like there was anything compensating for the lack of sound. Silent movies from the actual period tended to be very fast-paced and dynamic from what I've seen, and unfortunately this was the critical period element that Hanavicius failed to utilise. A couple of ingenious sequences (ironically the ones which involved sound), but I generally thought it was a disappointment.
    The celebration of golden age Hollywood by a foreign country is obvious Oscar-bait, though - with Weinstein backing and an American supporting cast it's an awards juggernaut.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nominations. It shouldn't be a shock, but am a little outraged Drive ​didn't get a single one.

Correction. Nominated for sound editing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The idea that Drive didn't get a nomination for Cinematography (when it has great composition in virtually all of them) kind of makes me think the name of the game is politics--not necessarily artistic quality.

I would also contend that Gosling minimalist portrayal had more characterization without any dialogue than most of the nominees had with leather-chewing scenes where they could easily emote anger.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I want Gary Oldman to win an Oscar, out of principle, despite the fact i found Tinker Tailor very very very boring, may have fell asleep. Gary Was good, but *I find it unbelievable he has never had a nomination.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Not just the fact that Drive got snubbed for everything, but that Shame got snubbed for everything too, as well as Trent Reznor getting snubbed for two mediocre John Williams scores (I mean, seriously? Fucking TINTIN?!) just proves that The Academy is doing nothing, this year, to hide the fact that they are a bunch of 80 year old dudes.

This is probably the first year, where I couldn't give a fuck less who wins most of the categories. Just give it all to Scorsese and Malick.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As a big Oscar-fan, I admit I am pretty disappointed for the lack of balls in the noms this year. Anything for Shame or Drive would have been nice. Tilda for We Ned to Talk About Kevin. Dunst (who I actually can't stand) would've also been a good nom for Melancholia. TR & Atticus for best score (I don't think it's a winning score like last year, but they are the current winners.) Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is a safe/throwaway pick, like that Bullock movie last year. So is War Horse actually.

That said, I think it's great to see the guy from A Better Life nominated. Oldman too. (Finally!) I'm surprised as shit (pleasantly surprised!) to see Jonah Hill nominated for Moneyball. NEVER thought I'd see that day and he was excellent. Happy for the writer/director of Margin Call to get a screenplay nom, since the script was tight and well executed.

Happy to see Footnote and In Darkness nominated in foreign language, even though A Separation will win.

Is this Pixar's first non-appearance? Makes sense this year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The best picture list is horrible. Can't believe all the snubs.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I guess I would be rooting for The Help then, if I had any respect for the Oscars.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I honestly don't get the fuzz about the Artist. Having sat through two seminars about silent movies at university I don't see anything which hasn't been on the big screen before. Is it because people are surprised how watchable movies like that still are today? Or that someone got the balls to do a movie like that and even put John Goodman in it? I seriously don't get it. It's good, good actors and all and I thought it was very entertaining, but...

And while TR&AC's score didn't click with me (just like the whole movie) it's still sad to see fucking Tintin nominated over Dragon Tattoo. 3 hours of music is a lot to digest and the score is very hit and miss IMHO, but sonically I was blown away by just the 3 trailers and how well they did go with the images. During the actual film I'm not sure, but I think it would have deserved a nod at least. No win, but a honorable mention, especially with these other quite mediocre scores being nominated.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Is it because [A] people are surprised how watchable movies like that still are today? Or that [B] someone got the balls to do a movie like that and even put John Goodman in it?
    I enjoyed it, but I think it's "B" for most people. (I think Vertigo, a few posts above, nailed it on how I feel about it too.)
    Last edited by butters; 01-24-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The snubs are horrible this year. No nods for Shame, Melancholia, and We Need to Talk About Kevin and yet, 2 stupid nominations for that Oscar-bait bullshit in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. BOO!!!! At least, not surprising, Chivo got a Cinematography nod for The Tree of Life. Yet, I was hoping that film got a whole lot more for visual effects, editing, sound, and art direction. Drive got a sound editing nomination but that's it? Fucking lame. No Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Michael Shannon, Michael Fassbender, Michael Fassbender's penis, Albert Brooks, Tilda Swinton, Michael Fassbender's penis, Kirsten Dunst, Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, and Michael Fassbender's penis makes me sad and angry. No nod for Trent & Atticus and 2 nominations for John Williams. This list blows!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    The snubs are horrible this year. No nods for Shame, Melancholia, and We Need to Talk About Kevin and yet, 2 stupid nominations for that Oscar-bait bullshit in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. BOO!!!! At least, not surprising, Chivo got a Cinematography nod for The Tree of Life. Yet, I was hoping that film got a whole lot more for visual effects, editing, sound, and art direction. Drive got a sound editing nomination but that's it? Fucking lame. No Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Michael Shannon, Michael Fassbender, Michael Fassbender's penis, Albert Brooks, Tilda Swinton, Michael Fassbender's penis, Kirsten Dunst, Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, and Michael Fassbender's penis makes me sad and angry. No nod for Trent & Atticus and 2 nominations for John Williams. This list blows!
    Yes you're correct, I would definitely add to my "lack of balls in the nominations" list a few posts above: Michael Shannon for Take Shelter, Charlize and the surprising performance by Oswalt for Young Adult. I think you may be forgetting about Fassbender's penis....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I hope Malick sweeps because this year's noms are atrocious.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oscars 2012: 16 Snubs that Bug You

The "you" being the readers of EW. Still, I think they have it nailed down pretty good. Off that list, the 2 names I find myself the most bummed about are Alan Rickman and Andy Serkis. Although the quality of the Harry Potter movies greatly varied from one to the other, Rickman was always excellent and his work should have been recognized with at least a nomination. Same with Serkis who is something of a pioneer in his field. There should be (eventually) a category for his line of work.

There's also should to be a category for Michael Fassbender's penis, the biggest snub of them all.

edit: The biggest laugh of all is in the original score category, with the nomination of Tintin. Come on, where the heck did that come from?
    Last edited by marodi; 01-24-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something. I blame old age.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The biggest laugh of all is in the original score category, with the nomination of Tintin. Come on, where the heck did that come from?
    I agree completely. It was the most basic, run of the mill, phoned in, soundtrack to a kids movie. Don't get me wrong, Tintin was a great movie, but the score had absolutely NOTHING special, nor original about it. Not to sound like a fanboy, but there is no reason that Tintin's score should have been nominated over Dragon Tattoo's score.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey! At least one person said that there was a snub for Trent Reznor and Atticus......... Finch

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They wuz robbed by Roger Ebert.

A very interesting read.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    just proves that The Academy is a bunch of 80 year old dudes
    Um ... we seem to go through this "What is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Who are the Members?" discussion every year on ETS because people have NO idea:

http://www.oscars.org/academy/members/members.html

The people who nominated best score? PEOPLE WHO WRITE MUSIC. PEERS. TRENT REZNOR IS A MEMBER OF THE ACADEMY! HE NOMINATES AND VOTES!

This ain't the Grammies.

That being said, sometimes the Oscars do really weird shit that nobody can explain. It is assumed that everybody is drinking heavily while sending in nominations.

They wuz robbed by Roger Ebert.

A very interesting read.
    BRAVO!
    Last edited by allegro; 01-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who watched it? Really?

Okay, it was quite boring and many jokes fell flat. But the Cirque du Soleil number was excellent and I loved the RDJ/Paltrow presentation number. No real surprises about the winners though. I am very very happy for The Artist and for Christopher Plummer; it's about time his talent is recognized!

Also: FREAKIN FIGWIT WON AN OSCAR! How AWESOME is that?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I liked Billy Crystal but why did they put fucking Justin Bieber in the opening skit? That was terrible. Some of the jokes weren't great and I found some of it to be predictable though I'm still not happy that Chivo lost the Cinematography Oscar prize, again. Next year's Oscars, we need some surprises.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I watched most of it and sincerely enjoyed it. Nice to see Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall take home Oscars for Editing on Dragon Tattoo - I wasn't expecting that, and neither were they (very awkward acceptance speech!), but I'm very happy for them and I think they deserved it in a very competitive/talented category. Would've been cool to see Rooney Mara win, but the only person who seemed bummed by the loss was Michelle Williams who I love. Great to see James Earl Jones get an Honorary award as well, he's so amazing. RDJ's bit with Paltrow was funny.

Overall, it seemed like a more streamlined Oscars than past years - no overblown dance numbers, or super extended introductions/patters. It obviously sucks that Drive and others got screwed, but the only thing I'm still a little frustrated by was the lack of Fincher recognition. How long did it take for Scorsese to get an Oscar again? I have a feeling the same thing's gonna happen with Mr. Fincher.