Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The little things that scare/depress you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    free holy water is always a blessing. just mind your liquid tongue and heart :P
    that's the funny thing, assholes who stir up garbage are never bad people per se, they just can't fucking live and let live.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the average lifespan of dogs. so unfair.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    only the good die young.
    my parents have a cheshire cat (english shorthair) that has been alive for 20 years and counting. it's an all outdoor cat too. unbelievable.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The fact that it was an outdoor cat makes sense to me as it's probably getting more exercise than indoor cats do. Both the cats at my dad's house are outdoor cats and one is 12 and the other 11 years old and I'm sure they'll live another 5 easily.

My dog (a japanese chin) is 11 and I'm just hoping that she'll make it to 15 yrs. She's never had any major health problems but that might change in the coming years.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    The fact that it was an outdoor cat makes sense to me as it's probably getting more exercise than indoor cats do. Both the cats at my dad's house are outdoor cats and one is 12 and the other 11 years old and I'm sure they'll live another 5 easily.
    I had an always-indoor cat who I finally had to euthenize at 21 due to kidney problems. She was Siamese, my vet says that breed tends to live longer. Outdoor cats actually tend to live shorter lives due to accidents, injuries, getting hit by cars. etc.

My dog Cookie may have cancer, we are waiting for test results. She is 12 and a Poodle mix, her breed tends to live 12 to 15 years.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-10-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I had an always-indoor cat who I finally had to euthenize at 21 due to kidney problems. She was Siamese, my vet says that breed tends to live longer. Outdoor cats actually tend to live shorter lives due to accidents, injuries, getting hit by cars. etc.

My dog Cookie may have cancer, we are waiting for test results. She is 12 and a Poodle mix, her breed tends to live 12 to 15 years.
    Ah, yeah accidents and injuries, I get that. My dad's cats live in the woods so they don't go near the roads but they are lucky not to have encountered bigger animals.

Here's hoping your dog is clear of cancer!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    my parents cat is too big and too lazy / old to run around risking injuries. that thing lives like caligula. (ironic thing: it's name is boots)

good vibes for you and your doggie allegro.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm in the process of digitizing my old journals (I have 29 of them here at my dad's house and I can't really bring them with me on a plane) and I hope to fucking god no one hacks my computer and finds these things.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    adele's lyrics, specifically "hello" and "send my love (to your new lover)".

i've never resented a pop star more.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I need to poo but I'm too comfortable to get up, so I feel like (as Cartman says) I'm being raped from the inside.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

How is your dog?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have been bullied several times, but I believe in karma. I also believe that a real gentleman would never bully or harass a woman, online or otherwise.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I have been bullied several times, but I believe in karma. I also believe that a real gentleman would never bully or harass a woman, online or otherwise.
    enough with your passive aggressive bullshit. nobody is bullying you -- you signed up to a message board based on engaging in conversation. you don't do that. you post really odd shit while contributing nothing, get called out, act like a victim.
    Last edited by kel; 04-21-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Infatuation and just having a crush, especially when the chances are basically slim to none. On the other hand, at least rejection actually hurts far less than never ever knowing at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The thought of the woman that I like being interested in someone else.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    the average lifespan of dogs. so unfair.
    I might've been a bit too disturbed to respond to this at the time, but since actually experiencing dog ownership, holy shit do you never forget that feeling of loss. It's also no wonder why some people never get a dog again.

My dog was actually passed down from a previous owner who gave him up because he was moving to an apartment that didn't allow dogs. He was a brown, black and white (Kind of colored like Duracell batteries.) beagle named Eagle, and had him from 2005 to 2013, and turned out that he lived a much better other half of his life at my house, since the previous owner's parents would just keep him in the basement, where my parents and I were able to walk him regularly and have much more variety of food to eat while being free to roam around the house as he pleased with his own bed and blanket, as well as his liberty to lounge and stretch about on just about any couch. Eagle probably would've lived a bit longer, but cancer took his life at the age of 15. That really fucked me up for quite some time, but he lives on in my memories every single day.

Before having a dog, I never really got that connection until now.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have been constantly thinking about growing old and death and it's really breaking me. Seeing my Granddad get to a point where he now needs almost constant help after having been mostly independent really makes me not want to get old. I don't have any kids myself or a partner (and i can't see that changing), i just have my sisters and nieces, and the last thing i want is them having to look after me, i also worry about having been super independent myself how i would even handle that. It's also making me think about just how much time i have left to enjoy and that then spirals and it's starting to really trigger my depression again

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Haysey - I've also been going through that as well and it really is no wonder why I still sometimes block that out. Just the thought that even if I were able to run and hide from most, if not all my fears and causes/sources of sadness, old age is one of those things that'll always get me should I even live long enough. Seeing what you've seen is why I've always had a habit of looking away since I was a child, but one can clearly only turn a blind eye to something for so long.

Come to think about it, blocking this out is also exactly like how I also block out even the slightest thoughts of the reality of innocent people being wrongly incarcerated in prison, or people being involuntarily committed to a mental institution or homelessness in general. It's just way too much of a mindfuck.

And the stories of the elderly also dying alone without any means of help either. A real mindfuck right there.

It ultimately reminds me why one can't blame people finding peace, joy and hope in all sorts of things, like religion or at least something "like" religion for that matter, or even just humor itself.

I'd like to actually find something positive to say in spite of the nature of this thread, but it's hard since even taking care of your body and mind while you're young isn't always an absolutely guarantee of painless advanced age.

I know it's also life and all, but it truly is like "What the fuck? Damn it!" sometimes you know.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-29-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's the first anniversary of my mum's death and I'm pretty sure there's not a single person aside from me that's remembered.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've seen the NKUSBP hasgtag a lot today and about 99% of them are people giving positive impressions of super bowl commercials. like, creepy pod-people kind of positive impressions. I mean who the fuck talks like that on purpose? are all of these people shilling? employees? paid accounts? wtf is going on.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I've seen the NKUSBP hasgtag a lot today and about 99% of them are people giving positive impressions of super bowl commercials. like, creepy pod-people kind of positive impressions. I mean who the fuck talks like that on purpose? are all of these people shilling? employees? paid accounts? wtf is going on.
    what does that stand for? something something something Super Bowl?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    what does that stand for? something something something Super Bowl?
    doing some searching and apparently it's a marketing class so NKU (university?) Super Bowl Project I guess.

some bio quotes
    Live tweeting for the Super Bowl in MKT308

MKT 308 Student

MKT-308 super bowl live tweet account

I only made this for my marketing class lol

still creepy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    doing some searching and apparently it's a marketing class so NKU (university?) Super Bowl Project I guess.
    It’s a 300-level marketing class.

When I took it, we HAD to watch the Super Bowl and study all the ads from a marketing perspective. There was an EXAM.

So basically, they’re in a study group.

Edit: Funny memory about this: The Professor went around the class and asked students to provide insight into various SB ads (from a marketing perspective), including criticism. She got to one student who said “I dunno.” Prof said huh? Student said “I didn’t watch it.” Prof, looking quizzical like maybe student was in a car crash or something, asked for reason (the SB assignment WAS NOT AN ELECTIVE). Student said:

“I don’t like football.”
    Last edited by allegro; 02-03-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    online learning has come a long way. I admit it's a little less scary from a "the bots are coming alive" standpoint when it's just a marketing class.

But then I remember Bill Hicks and it's just as bad as I thought! :P

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    online learning has come a long way. I admit it's a little less scary from a "the bots are coming alive" standpoint when it's just a marketing class.

But then I remember Bill Hicks and it's just as bad as I thought! :P
    Even brick and mortar schools have online classes, especially MBA programs.

Students are so used to using online programs like Blackboard and Canvas, it’s not a stretch for them to organize study groups online. Social media’s the easiest route. Twitter accounts are easily disposable.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-04-2020 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Waking up tomorrow, and the next day, ad nauseam, one day at a time, just existing, trying to cope, dealing with this place, this life, other people, and myself until I die.

I'm not scared; I don't feel anything at all. Absent.

I cannot motivate myself anymore.
    Last edited by katara; 02-04-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The fact that everyone (including myself) is changing in ways I can't control. Sometimes it's a good change, sometimes it's a bad change, but always, it's a change that ensures that a part of that person is gone forever.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw something a few weeks ago (could be days...on the Internet there is no time...) that said everyone is carrying around a version of you in their head that no longer exists. it made me pause and think because I have friends back home who I haven't seen in almost 25 years* and to me they're still 18/19 and tearing ass everywhere when in reality one has three kids and is divorced, another has at least two kids and is divorced...twice I think?...and so on. but I don't think of them in those terms but very rarely.

Spoiler: *holy crap it's 25 years. I typed 15 and then did the math...Jesus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My chldren getting sick or even dying. So much that just typing that sentence I hesitated and had to force myself to type those words. It's, like, normal and all... But FUCK. It's unreal how fierce my need to shield them, to protect them is... I have to remind myself that I can't just hole up with them in the wilderness and avoid society and the world just so they can grow old alone, alienated and damaged... Or can I...? LOL. NOOOOO... AHHHHH!

I was severely sexually abused when I was a child and as such I have a pretty intense fear of windows being uncovered, although I've been working on it for years so it's wayyyy better than it used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. Death (Like, it's a problem.)

2. The depressing parts about aging.

3. Cockroaches

4. Occasional OCDish thoughts about poison/toxic things.

5. Republicans.

6. Incuriosity/ignorance.

7. My lack of experience/constant getting older.
    Before reading this thread and especially this post, I though that I had a trivial phobias like fear of heights or trypophobia, but now... I guess I get a new phobia every year because I'm getting older. Also, I live alone now and man, who would ever though that getting rid of spiders and cockroaches can be tricky enough.
    Last edited by outofthisworld; 04-10-2020 at 07:00 AM.