Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty-Thirteen Tension Tour Tug Thread - SETLIST SPOILERS!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    I really didn't want to start an uproar. It was me just expressing myself about one individual song right after hearing it. I am fully aware that my opinion could change. I don't want to come off as some close minded fan who is stuck to the old nin, because that's just incredibly inaccurate.

I actually like the pino addition. And I am in love with the record...etc. So not all doom and gloom.
    you're being fair and articulate. so no worries, there.

bill, on the other hand, is being a bummer, as usual.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you're being fair and articulate. so no worries, there.

bill, on the other hand, is being a bummer, as usual.
    Its a character he plays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am actually typing on a iPhone, which is very aggravating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    dude, The Wretched is fucking amazing on this tour! Those additional vocals and that lighting!

I love the part where Josh and Robin trade off the guitar parts and the synchronization with the overhead lights.

anybody know of a better version of this?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The only thing I find odd about the backup singers is that since they only sing on certain parts I think I would feel awkward standing on stage not singing most of the time. Of course I haven't been to very many (if any) shows with dedicated backup singers so I guess it's just part of the gig you get used to. Although I've seen concert footage on TV with backup singers and they aren't usually so far forward on the stage, are they? I think that shows how integral a part of the show Trent considers them to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The only thing I find odd about the backup singers is that since they only sing on certain parts I think I would feel awkward standing on stage not singing most of the time. Of course I haven't been to very many (if any) shows with dedicated backup singers so I guess it's just part of the gig you get used to. Although I've seen concert footage on TV with backup singers and they aren't usually so far forward on the stage, are they? I think that shows how integral a part of the show Trent considers them to be.
    They leave the stage if they're not involved in a song. You can tell that the setlist is structured that way. At the St. Louis show they came out for All Time Low and stayed on stage until A Warm Place - the songs before and after were heavier. They were then back out for the encore.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    my point was backup singers work for certain live settings, and don't work for certain live settings. Mike Patton used female backup singers for his Italian orchestra band Mondo Cane and it worked great. Mike is not going to use backup singers for Faith No More or Tomahawk because it would be fucking stupid. If TR wants to do some stripped down deconstructed/acoustic "Still session" type show and wanted backup singers, fine. When TR used a string quartet for the Bridge School solo show, it worked great..But if he brought a string quartet for a NIN concert, it would not work at all.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    my point was backup singers work for certain live settings, and don't work for certain live settings. Mike Patton used female backup singers for his Italian orchestra band Mondo Cane and it worked great. Mike is not going to use backup singers for Faith No More or Tomahawk because it would be fucking stupid. If TR wants to do some stripped down deconstructed/acoustic "Still session" type show and wanted backup singers, fine. When TR used a string quartet for the Bridge School solo show, it worked great..But if he brought a string quartet for a NIN concert, it would not work at all.
    that isn't exactly an apt comparison though. The big difference between Trent and Patton is that Patton is in a gazillion different bands that each represent a different side of the musical spectrum that he's interested in. While it's not quite as broad, Trent also does cover a pretty wide range of the musical spectrum himself but most of it is under the name NIN. Perhaps it would work better if you thought of each era of NIN as a different band. Just like Patton wouldn't bring along the same instruments and performers for Mondo Cane as he would for Fantomas, Trent won't bring along the same instruments and/or performers for Broken as he would for Ghosts as he would for Hesitation Marks. Much like backup singers would be out of place at a Tomahawk show, they would also be out of place on the Now I'm Nothing/Lollapalooza 1991 tours. But they're not out of place at a Mondo Cane show and from what I've seen they're not out of place with NIN 2013.

And keep in mind that the bridge school show was performing NIN songs so what makes that any different than a NIN show with a different band and/or vibe to the show? Other than Trent, there isn't a single person in NIN right now who was in the band in 1991. But it's still NIN. Because I'd totally go for a string quartet at a NIN show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i still wonder how it would have gone if he would have gotten his backup singers back then and they would have had to duck flying guitars, get assaulted with mics and mic stands etc.
    I saw Trent throw and kick shit over (who the fuck needs those expensive lights at the edge of the stage?) at both shows I saw, so he definitely still has that in him... just not as much as he used to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    dude, The Wretched is fucking amazing on this tour! Those additional vocals and that lighting!

I love the part where Josh and Robin trade off the guitar parts and the synchronization with the overhead lights.

anybody know of a better version of this?
    here's one from KC where I feel like their vocals shine a little bit more. Godddd, so good in this song! Plus in Even Deeper...holy shit!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    You folks make me laugh, how about this "Check your expectations at the door". No you are not that perfect snowflake, Trent probably cares more about the temperature of his latte then you liking or hating the addition of backup singers. Now I am all in favor of opinions, but to say he totally ruined that show or song because of backup singers!?! At least you got to go, there are no NoCal dates (Oh lord Trent why hast thou forsaking us?). Hell Trent could probably recite Edwardian poetry over a beatbox and I would probably buy a ticket, just saying.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In all fairness a live version of The Perfect Drug would definitely qualify as something new and different.
    Would happily have a live version of The Perfect Drug with everyone else singing. Trent can go sit in the corner and sulk about whyever he hates that song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Sounds like during the chorus on The Wretched the girls are screaming and that scream sample that Ally manipulates is still there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love the addition of back up singers, as TR's voice has never been his high point. And they really do add a further dimension to the show. I love the new album and the way he has presented the songs live - however, to be perfectly honest, I am not convinced that using live drums for CBH and Copy of A was such a good idea. Ilan is one of the best drummers NIN has had in my pinion (see what I did there?), but I much prefer the electronic beat over the live drums for those songs - it just sounds so much better.

The Drum n Bass element to some of NIN's songs has always appealed to me, and I would not be unhappy if TR chose to go towards a more electronic live sound and away from the hard rock approach.

Keeping the music uber-aggressive will start looking out of place when he clicks 50. I would prefer to hear some mind blowing remix versions (such as Santified).

Sorry for the ramble on - I am really fucking tired.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    When TR used a string quartet for the Bridge School solo show, it worked great..But if he brought a string quartet for a NIN concert, it would not work at all.
    And if Nine Inch Nails played with a rock setup, backup singers, and a string section, .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    Keeping the music uber-aggressive will start looking out of place when he clicks 50.
    Says who? And I'd hope by 50, most intelligent people will have figured out not to give a shit what anyone thinks, or give in to ideas about what's ok and not ok. We're talking monkeys on a rock flying through space, alive during a fraction of a second, for gods sake. Have some perspective. You can be 80 and play grindcore if you fucking want to!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    my point was backup singers work for certain live settings, and don't work for certain live settings.
    You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint, you know that?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    And I'd hope by 50, most intelligent people will have figured out not to give a shit what anyone thinks, or give in to ideas about what's ok and not ok.
    Exactly. That's why he's touring with some female backup singers.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    No you are not that perfect snowflake, Trent probably cares more about the temperature of his latte then you liking or hating the addition of backup singers.
    I realize this is oddly contradicting my last post (although not completely), but Trent has shown himself to be quite sensitive to public opinion at times so I think he does care more about that than he does his latte. He tends to get kinda pissy over negative reviews and the like.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He said in a recent interview that he's learning to care less, though. And while a lot of crap is spoken in interviews, he does seem to act a lot less butthurt than, say, in 2008.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcomedown View Post
    I saw Trent throw and kick shit over (who the fuck needs those expensive lights at the edge of the stage?) at both shows I saw, so he definitely still has that in him... just not as much as he used to.
    Not to sound like "that guy," but every time I see a YouTube video from within the last ten years or so about Trent "going on a rampage" or anything of the sort, I laugh. While I don't want this guy back because he'd be dead by now, I still think something more like this when I think "Trent rage"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    He said in a recent interview that he's learning to care less, though. And while a lot of crap is spoken in interviews, he does seem to act a lot less butthurt than, say, in 2008.
    There is distinctly less butthurt than in the past and there has been progressively less going back to the early days. But his reaction to the "Everything" unicorn video shows that he still does care about what people think. He might be learning to take it more in stride, but he definitely cares more about it than the temperature of his latte.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    Says who? And I'd hope by 50, most intelligent people will have figured out not to give a shit what anyone thinks, or give in to ideas about what's ok and not ok. We're talking monkeys on a rock flying through space, alive during a fraction of a second, for gods sake. Have some perspective. You can be 80 and play grindcore if you fucking want to!
    Says me. And I didn't say he couldn't, or shouldn't. I said it would start looking out of place. Learn to read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not to sound like "that guy," but every time I see a YouTube video from within the last ten years or so about Trent "going on a rampage" or anything of the sort, I laugh. While I don't want this guy back because he'd be dead by now, I still think something more like this when I think "Trent rage"

I never said it was like it used to be, I just said that he still DOES throw things.

Also, I put that video on silent and am watching it to a live recording of Disappointed. Very interesting.
    Last edited by bigcomedown; 10-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Out of interest what was he butthurt about in 2008?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    And if Nine Inch Nails played with a rock setup, backup singers, and a string section, .
    This is still one of the best things in the history of the universe.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    He obviously cares what the public says, hence the cancellation of the Everything video.....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So I was watching that video comp posted a few posts ago and youtube recommended this one. Not to get off topic or anything.. But it's too bad we don't get tantrums on stage anymore. Cause I don't know, are crazy lights and larger quantities of talented musicians really better than seeing them fuck shit up erratically?
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 10-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    So I was watching that video comp posted a few posts ago and youtube recommended this one. Not to get off topic or anything.. But it's too bad we don't get tantrums on stage anymore. Cause I don't know, are crazy lights and larger quantities of talented musicians really better than seeing them fuck shit up erratically?
    Have you seen his arms now compared to then? I think if he acted the same way he would have snapped someone's neck or broke their back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I want to see that move during 3:48 in a concert lol