Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty-Thirteen Tension Tour Tug Thread - SETLIST SPOILERS!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Remember when we used to talk about Nine Inch Nails?

Those were good times.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochill17 View Post
    Since we can't post in a tour date thread if we didn't attend that show, I figure I'd ask this here. For the shows on 9/30 and 10/1, did Robin, Ilan, Alessandro, and Josh come out and meet with the nin.com ticket members like the first show?
    No one came out at the STL show, that may have been a special thing they did for the first show because it was the first.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    No Into the Void yesterday? Oh man.... I'm seeing the show tomorrow, I really really really really really really wish they play it!!

Fucking co-signed. I've never had the pleasure and it's one of my favorites. Also:

Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    Remember when we used to talk about Nine Inch Nails?

Those were good times.
    I like the one where he yells about the pig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fuck, that sucks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

I like the one where he yells about the pig.
    That's a good one. I like that one about doin' it. It reminds me of the time when me and my wife had quiet sex in the missionary position.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    That's a good one. I like that one about doin' it. It reminds me of the time when me and my wife had quiet sex in the missionary position.
    So much blood for such a tiny little hole.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They seriously need to dig up God Given. So much opportunity, with the bass, the singers...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    LOL to the douche hoping Closer gets played.
    30 Seconds in I LOLed because I just remembered how Trent put MORE CLOTHES ON throughout the show. The encore featured this lovely zip down sweater because apparently he wasn't hot as balls like the rest of us?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I swore that I would try very hard to avoid doing this to myself, watching each show and seeing what's happening. I did it in 2009. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be, though. So, I have been reading everything and watching a few clips here and there. Seeing the songs in the different setlists has me quite excited for the show I'll get to attend. I know I won't get to hear absolutely everything I want in one sitting, but each list has been impressive. Super excited. If I could get away with buying another ticket, I'd go Saturday and call in sick. It's something to look forward to sooner than the end of the month. I don't think that'll pan out, though. Oh well, got one show. Not too bad for my sad sack called a "checking account."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oh what I didn't even notice Closer has been omitted. Nice.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Oh what I didn't even notice Closer has been omitted. Nice.
    The big question is will this be the first Closer-less tour that finishes as a Closer-less tour. He's tried before.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    All The Love In The World would benefit greatly from the backup singers.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    All The Love In The World would benefit greatly from the backup singers.
    Omfg there's absolutely no excuse on this good earth that I can think of for why this shouldn't happen. *prays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    From the recordings I have heard of the wretched on this tour, the back up singers don't help that song at all. I don't get it. They are just not needed. I am sorta not liking them overall. What was Trent's reasoning behind having them?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    From the recordings I have heard of the wretched on this tour, the back up singers don't help that song at all. I don't get it. They are just not needed. I am sorta not liking them overall. What was Trent's reasoning behind having them?
    You know the background synths on the album version during the chorus of the song that sound like someone screaming?

That's Lisa and Sharlotte doing that same screaming for the live version on this tour. I had goosebumps and excitement when I saw that. Believe me, they are totally needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe I need to see it in person to get a good grasp of it. I will get a good dosage of it Friday and Saturday.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's something different, it's something new. At least he's keeping the songs fresh. I don't know if anyone else sees it but the album and these setlist are moving towards being less of a "rock" band. People keep requesting Happiness in Slavery and The Perfect Drug and I'm personally like why? I think he's moved on with that part of his life. No use dragging old demons out of the closet. He has said in interviews he's doing songs that still resonate with him.

With that said I hope The Way Out Is Through and the version of Reptile from the festival tour make a comeback.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    In all fairness a live version of The Perfect Drug would definitely qualify as something new and different.

I totally see see what you're saying though about being less of a rock band but he's still playing Wish and MOTP so he hasn't completely stopped being a rock band either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Backup singers on the heavier NIN songs is just weird. Is he not like rocking/jamming out anymore?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    It's something different, it's something new. At least he's keeping the songs fresh. I don't know if anyone else sees it but the album and these setlist are moving towards being less of a "rock" band. People keep requesting Happiness in Slavery and The Perfect Drug and I'm personally like why? I think he's moved on with that part of his life. No use dragging old demons out of the closet. He has said in interviews he's doing songs that still resonate with him.

With that said I hope The Way Out Is Through and the version of Reptile from the festival tour make a comeback.
    I know all of this.

And it's still a rock band vibe, even with the new songs, they added live drums to the mix. Which is sorta different from the vibe he was doing during the festival leg. So in a way he was moving less from the rock band vibe on the record, but then back to it a little bit by adding real drums. I am all about him doing something new and fresh. That's not the issue. You don't need to tell me all these things stated in your reply. I actually love the new record. And I have not once requested those older songs or for him to even go back at all.
    My issues was, I think the backing vocals on the wretched sound awkward. From what I have heard they don't just contribute to the distorted screaming part, it sounds like it's more then just that part. Their vocal styles don't seem to mix and sound right with that song.

I actually liked what they did with even deeper, but so far, that's really it. Maybe my opinion could change Friday and Saturday..
    The funny thing is I wish trent would go more and more from the rock vibe that has been presented. I am fully aware that he is going to do what he wants and my opinion is nothing. I am fine with that, but do not mistaken me from some fan who is clinging to the 90s nin because that's far from the truth.

At the end of the day, I really don't even care. I am going to the shows this weekend and I am excited. I was just giving my two cents from what I heard in that song. Who knows, my opinion might change and I will admit so if it does.
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 10-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Backup singers on the heavier NIN songs is just weird. Is he not like rocking/jamming out anymore?
    Sharlotte and Lisa were amazing. They sang the high pitched screaming part during the chorus of TW and it was awesome.

The way Trent's voice has held up after years of touring is impressive, but it seems like he can't sing the strenuous parts as much as he used to. Plus as much as I love Robin his vocal style doesn't really match up as well with the new material.

I think the backup singers added a lot to the show. I also think that they allow Trent to pick a more adventurous set list than the greatest hits sets we saw during the festival run.
    Last edited by digshake; 10-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I agree totally. I assumed the backup singers would be uncomfortable and horrible and after watching the youtube videos, it was even worse than I thought it would be. It looks silly onstage and it also looks forced. One of my friends who is a former NIN fan who bailed after Fragile couldn't stop laughing when I told him TR has backup singers. It would have made more sense to have Mariqueen onstage singing backup, at least it wouldn't look forced and contrived.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't even think they are terrible, I just don't like them in that song. And I am sorta skeptical of them in survivalism and a couple of the new ones.

I admit, I was sorta exaggerating on my original post about this. But It does seem a little forced and awkward though. I may be wrong.
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 10-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I agree totally. I assumed the backup singers would be uncomfortable and horrible and after watching the youtube videos, it was even worse than I thought it would be. It looks silly onstage and it also looks forced. One of my friends who is a former NIN fan who bailed after Fragile couldn't stop laughing when I told him TR has backup singers. It would have made more sense to have Mariqueen onstage singing backup, at least it wouldn't look forced and contrived.....
    NIN fans would find it "forced and contrived" if Mariqueen was in the band, too. I know how this goes. I remember when HTDA first debuted and everyone was upset with Trent that he went "soft" and all that dumb shit. Let Trent move NIN forward, please god, just let him do it and deal with it. This live band sounds incredible, Pino is killing it on the bass and Lisa and Sharlotte are doing their thing. Let's be positive about this.

Trent has wanted a backup singer since the Fragility tour, so if it dates that far back then I'm glad he's finally got it going now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I think he made a noticeable effort to not have Mariqueen be a part of NIN because he knew the (unwarranted IMO) backlash it would get from fans.

And besides, we all know you'd be saying the opposite if she was part of the band. It's your shtick. You might want to refine the shtick a bit though. Lately it's been looking much more forced and contrived than anything Trent's done.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    NIN fans would find it "forced and contrived" if Mariqueen was in the band, too. I know how this goes. I remember when HTDA first debuted and everyone was upset with Trent that he went "soft" and all that dumb shit. Let Trent move NIN forward, please god, just let him do it and deal with it. This live band sounds incredible, Pino is killing it on the bass and Lisa and Sharlotte are doing their thing. Let's be positive about this.

Trent has wanted a backup singer since the Fragility tour, so if it dates that far back then I'm glad he's finally got it going now.
    i still wonder how it would have gone if he would have gotten his backup singers back then and they would have had to duck flying guitars, get assaulted with mics and mic stands etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really didn't want to start an uproar. It was me just expressing myself about one individual song right after hearing it. I am fully aware that my opinion could change. I don't want to come off as some close minded fan who is stuck to the old nin, because that's just incredibly inaccurate.

I actually like the pino addition. And I am in love with the record...etc. So not all doom and gloom.

I don't get how some think he's going farther away from the rock band vibe. Maybe we are viewing the term differently. Away from aggressive and cathartic songs? Yes for the most part. But there is still motp and wish.

But he added real drums to CBh and copy of a (as well as other new ones.) how is that less of a rock band vibe? It's still a rock band, just less aggressive. Which is fine by me, but I'd prefer the vibe the new songs had during the festival tour.

Less screaming and angry songs? Yes for sure.

Eh i went on a tangent and said too much. Who knows, my mind changes every week.
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 10-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    In all fairness a live version of The Perfect Drug would definitely qualify as something new and different.

I totally see see what you're saying though about being less of a rock band but he's still playing Wish and MOTP so he hasn't completely stopped being a rock band either.
    Not to mention live drums on the new songs, but I digress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually hearing it live, they were integral to that song. They gave it this really eerie edge with this kind of background wailing that really sold the rest the of the song.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I really didn't want to start an uproar. It was me just expressing myself about one individual song right after hearing it. I am fully aware that my opinion could change. I don't want to come off as some close minded fan who is stuck to the old nin, because that's just incredibly inaccurate.

I actually like the pino addition. And I am in love with the record...etc. So not all doom and gloom.
    No need to apologize. Expecting you to like every new move the band makes is no different than being a stuck in the nineties fan.

With that said, I've only seen a few clips from shows here and there because I wanted to remain spoiler free but I have no discipline and can not stop myself. I tried but I gave up. But I'm still trying to keep it under control and haven't watched too much and now I hope I get The Wretched at one of the shows I go to because now I'm curious.