Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Great Outdoors - Hiking, Biking, Climbing, and so on

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

The Great Outdoors - Hiking, Biking, Climbing, and so on

I swear this thread used to exist. Maybe I'm just really awful with the search function. Or maybe the government implanted a false memory of an ETS thread in my head, next to the post about Trent covering Honky Tonk Badonkadonk.

Anyway, I figured we could use a place to discuss that most awesome of places - the great outdoors! Whatever way you like to enjoy it, share it here!

I'll start off: I'm extremely excited to be going back to Letchworth State Park soon. It's been years since I've been hiking there, and we've been having some fantastic autumn weather here lately. Anyone in WNY who hasn't been there needs to change that, and anyone planning on visiting some day needs to put that on their list.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I must return to Glacier before...well...there's no more glaciers.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

yeah we saw Glacier from the Amtrak Empire Builder last month, I'd really like to go back and hike some of it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    yeah we saw Glacier from the Amtrak Empire Builder last month, I'd really like to go back and hike some of it.
    Off topic, how was that ride? Very curious.

On topic, I'm going to go walk the local state park today. I hear there is a public art installation there now. Art and nature.

I've done my share of hiking in the past. Many places in the northeast: Monadnock, Washington, Katadin, whole bunch of happy trails in between. It's Been a long time since. Ironically I'm probably in better physical shape to do it now then when it was a regular occurrence. I can remember hiking a Presidential in New Hampshire, stopping for a smoke break.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Last week the GF and I hiked up the Haiku Stairs, or stairway to heaven as a lot of people call it. 3,922 steps up a mountain ridge to about an altitude of about 2,800 ft. We had to start at 1:30 in the morning due to the stairs being closed off to the public. ( a security guard is posted from about 2:30 am, doesn't stop over 100 hikers a week from going though). Made our way up to the top to catch the sunrise. It was one of the most amazing/terrifying things I have ever done.

Pics
    http://s238.photobucket.com/user/thi...brary/Stairway

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Preface: I'm not exactly physically fit in no way shape or form.

With that being said, I woke up wanting to do something physical this morning. So I did this: http://www.toughascent.com/blog/2010...erial-tramway/. Omg. I can barely walk today. I think my legs are going to dissolve tomorrow. I'm glad I did it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Those stats look stupid. Wonderfully, beautifully stupid. Congrats on surviving!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Looking to buy a cyclocross bike and have it narrowed down to these two:
    Jamis Nova Sport: Amazing deal for under $1,000.
    Fuji Cross 1.5: Great bang for your buck + carbon fiber fork and higher end components.

I've got two friends with connections that can get me even better deals on both bikes - probably around $650 for the Jamis and a whole rig with pedals, shoes and helmet for about $1,000 for the Fuji. The whole point of my posting here is to see if anyone has a comparable bike and would voice any further input.