Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Later Years highlights 2xLP gatefold looks beautifully packaged, with a nice photo booklet and full credits/lyrics printed on the inner sleeves. Can't wait to hear it in full!
    Last edited by botley; 11-23-2019 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    *flicks lighter*

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Say what you want about Lapse and Division Bell albums not being up to Waters-era Pink Floyd standards (allegedly), but you can't deny that both respective tours were nothing short of groundbreaking, both visually and sonically, and helped a lot to increase Floyd popularity, especially with younger fans who didn't see them during 1972-1977 touring.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Say what you want about Lapse and Division Bell albums not being up to Waters-era Pink Floyd standards (allegedly), but you can't deny that both respective tours were nothing short of groundbreaking, both visually and sonically, and helped a lot to increase Floyd popularity, especially with younger fans who didn't see them during 1972-1977 touring.
    Lapse is definitely not up to the high standards of Waters-era PF, but Division Bell is just as good as others. Frankly, during the late 80s Waters wasn't especially doing fine as well. KAOS was a mess.
    Both tours (Radio KAOS tour by Roger and Floyd's) were great, it's a shame Roger's tour didn't get filmed professionally because that was phenomenal as well.
    But this didn't work:

And as far as I'm concerned, The Endless River is not their swan song. The Division Bell is.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Both tours (Radio KAOS tour by Roger and Floyd's) were great, it's a shame Roger's tour didn't get filmed professionally because that was phenomenal as well.
    I have to admit I haven't watched any video bootlegs of these tours (I mean KAOS and Hitchhiking tours by Roger), but I listened to some audio soundboard recordings and boy did Roger butcher some of the songs with the new arrangements and stupid medleys. I'm so thankful he's sticking very close to album versions now.
    Last edited by fillow; 11-29-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    But this didn't work:
    From what has come out so far it appears the new version of DSOT sounds way, way better than the version we know. It definitely looks better compared to the old release.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I have to admit I haven't watched any video bootlegs of these tours (I mean KAOS and Hitchhiking tours by Roger), but I listened to some audio soundboard recordings and boy did Roger butcher some of the songs with the new arrangements and stupid medleys. I'm so thankful he's sticking very close to album versions now.
    He's lip syncing, so what choice does he have? lol
    Basically KAOS was the precursor to U2's acclaimed ZOO TV tour to me. Circular screens, quad sound, some radio stuff and audience participation.
    Also, Project KAOS, a fan-made extended version of Radio KAOS including B-sides and some extra stuff, flows much better than the original.
    https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters...elease/1596402

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    From what has come out so far it appears the new version of DSOT sounds way, way better than the version we know. It definitely looks better compared to the old release.

Just listened to the 2019 version on the Later Years sampler. It does sound better.
    But nothing will convince me to buy the box set at that price, unless I win a lottery.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Basically KAOS was the precursor to U2's acclaimed ZOO TV tour to me. Circular screens, quad sound, some radio stuff and audience participation.
    Also, Project KAOS, a fan-made extended version of Radio KAOS including B-sides and some extra stuff, flows much better than the original.
    https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters...elease/1596402
    Roger's thrown Bono under the bus a few times in interviews, and took them to task for taking some of his concepts for Zoo TV. As well he should. Sadly I don't think he'd consider, or even be able to do the kind of remix on the album the band did for Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Pink Floyd channels were used to promote Polly Samson's book. But Roger Waters revealed that the promotion for Us+Them theatrical release on their channels was refused. I know why, but I'm not sure how I feel about all this.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The only thing that bothers me about the split is how this affects releases, and who mixes what (why the AHM, Meddle and OBC 5.1's weren't on the last box set). Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if Roger can't promote stuff on their social media, he has his own and is effective on his own at promoting stuff. And as far as her book, that's fine too. I don't think it'll sell more than whatever Roger will put out (I'm guessing the Us + Them packages will be released after the hype for The Later Years is over and done with).

Makes you wonder how the four Beatles would act in these situations if they were all alive, but still split up.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The squabbling is, in my opinion, warranted... Waters apparently favours James Guthrie for remastering Pink Floyd material recorded and released during his tenure with the band. Makes perfect sense, as he started with them on co-producing The Wall in 1978 and supervised the mastering for their reissues up until very recently.

Gilmour, for some reason, now allows Andy Jackson to not just remix Pink Floyd stuff, but also master his own remixes — and that is a BIG NO-NO in audio engineering. It's a cardinal rule that you need a dedicated mastering engineer, one with an outside perspective on the project, to lend the final touch to your mixes. If you mix and master with the same pair of ears, you're bound to lose the plot somewhere. Doesn't matter how good you are, you're wearing two hats at once and it almost always leads to problems.

Consequently, I think the sound of just about all the stuff Jackson has mixed and mastered himself on these recent box sets is quite sub-par, with very harsh sounding treble and too much low bass. It's very annoying... I wish Gilmour would relent and allow Guthrie back into the fold, but I don't think he's been able to do anything for them since the 2011 Why Pink Floyd? reissue campaign. All the reissues with his name on them since then have just been sourced from those same 2011 transfers he did with Joel Plante.
    Last edited by botley; 12-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The new mixes of A Momentary Lapse of Reason sound fine. Being so familiar with the original I can't help but feel Gilmour & co. performed plastic surgery on it, but the changes do feel warranted to a degree, especially with regards to the keyboard parts which hardly felt like Rick's at all to begin with. Delicate Sound of Thunder sounds great, and it's awesome to hear the whole show as it was in 1988 instead of the cherry-picked original. These are both up on Spotify, as well as the disc of leftover jams from The Division Bell, which I haven't gotten to yet.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I enjoy the new AMLOR, although some decisions strike me weird – On the Turning Away uses a live vocal, for example. Why is it better than the studio one? Or did they just lose that...?

Delicate Sound is definitely the winner though. I think I like the live AMLOR better than either studio one, and that Welcome to the Machine is absolutely killer!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have to say if that vocal track was taken from a concert I applaud how they managed to isolate any crowd noise from it.

The Division Bell jams were actually quite a treat to listen to.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-18-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The Later Years highlights 2xLP gatefold looks beautifully packaged, with a nice photo booklet and full credits/lyrics printed on the inner sleeves. Can't wait to hear it in full!
    Bought this today, no lyrics but the credits are quite interesting. Gilmour played drums on the new mix of "Sorrow" himself.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For absolutely no reason whatsoever

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    For absolutely no reason whatsoever
    Ummagumma is awesome!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For the last three weeks, every Friday the official PF YouTube channel is uploading individual songs from the new edit of Pulse.

Man, they really knew how to go out. I think I shed a few tears during SOYCD, it's my absolute favorite song of theirs and such a brilliant and understated performance (as one can be considering how huge this show was otherwise).
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-18-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My father was there, and when he got home he was so excited he woke me up and promised little 9 year old me that the next time they toured he would take me to see them!

Fucks sake...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    looks like 1 more go round for old misery guts. i am so ready for it. bring it on, roger!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-drill-941431/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have never seen Roger Waters live, only the two recent filmed shows in theater. I've always been hesitant, because of the price, and I wasn't sure back then if I wanted to see half the song sang by somebody else. But Us+Them was spectacular (and this is based only on the theater experience). I think I'm gonna call my dad and say: "fuck it, this time, we must go see Roger Waters".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Cool that he might be bringing out "The Powers That Be" from the Radio KAOS album. It's a really poor album sonically but the ideas and themes are strong and have some resonance now. I doubt this tour will feature the whole album but that song particularly is very well aligned with the themes and ideas he wishes to express this time around.

I will probably not go but it'll be interesting to see how he pulls this off, especially in the round. I'm guessing it'll be more of a stripped-down affair, and not feature some of the more elaborate staging he did on the last two tours.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is Tame Impala going to open for Roger?
    According to Ticketmaster:
    Every pair of tickets purchased online will include one (1) physical CD copy of Tame Impala’s new album ‘The Slow Rush’, to be released on Feb 14, 2020.
    EDIT: Nvm, there must be some error. Tame Impala's July + Aug dates don't match up.. weird that they would give their CD to people buying Roger Waters tickets. AXS says the same thing, as well as the Seattle promoters website. Weird.
    Last edited by Soma; 01-24-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    heard from a good source that roger is rehearsing some of the "amused to death" material. IMHO 1 of the most criminally underrated records of all time. can't wait!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    heard from a good source that roger is rehearsing some of the "amused to death" material. IMHO 1 of the most criminally underrated records of all time. can't wait!
    If that's true i would go to see him for a 5th time, i fuckin' love that album and i can live without listening to a couple of Floyd songs and hearing some of that album instead...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 01-29-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    If that's tru i would go to see him for a 5th time, i fuckin' love that album and i can live without listening to a couple of Floyd songs and hearing some of that album instead...
    word is new set list & presentation. i'm interested in seeing what he does with the in the round concept. i bet it'll be something stunning. they were also rehearsing "sheep". that will work!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    word is new set list & presentation. i'm interested in seeing what he does with the in the round concept. i bet it'll be something stunning. they were also rehearsing "sheep". that will work!
    "Sheep" live is awesome! and i like it better than "Pigs" (and i think the whole Trump thing is tired), but if he plays them both i'm ok with it!