Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    nah, that's the thing. while a vinyl CAN fit up 29 minutes on one side under some extreme circumstances, it's far from ideal. the longer a side is, the more the audio quality suffers due to cut bass frequencies and lower volumes, as there is only so much groove space to dedicate to a full listening experience. while it's realistic that 'shine on' could probably fit on one side, the dip in sound quality makes for a tremendously good reason to break it up. one can assume, at that point in time, that floyd and their crew were quite good in the studio, so it seems foolish to cram a magnum opus on one side of a record only to have it sound so trebely and thin.

see also "to be played at maximum volume'--- not a saying coined for kicks. it meant that the lp side was pushing the limits and volume was cut to compensate for the longer running time.

edit: JINX!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Apparently, the demos from The Wall Experience edition are coming out on a stand-alone vinyl LP set later this year called The Workshop Tapes, sort of like how The Doors are issuing their outtakes from the LA Woman deluxe edition on their own.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Awesome. I still wish they'd put a studio version of "What Shall We Do Now?" on it, but after listening to the snippets of demos I'm now more interested in it.

Listening to the Oakland show from the Animals tour right now. Besides the prick who set fireworks off next to whoever was recording during "Wish You Were Here", it's an utterly awesome boot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Included on the Immersion Wall DVD is a brief video from the Earls Court shows of "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives", of which these three stills are from. Don't know about you guys, but I'm now crossing every extremity imaginable that the whole film sees some kind of proper release in my lifetime

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit, is it Roger Waters who is sitting on this footage?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Once you go above 24 minutes, you lose audio fidelity.

I'd heard the drop in quality starts at 22 minutes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Holy shit, is it Roger Waters who is sitting on this footage?
    I'm guessing that. He's been using footage of "Mother" presumably from this show on his latest tours. As far as I know, one show in New York and one in London were filmed on videotape in 1980, and Alan Parker filmed an additional six shows in London in '81. These were done for the initial plans of the movie, in which live footage would have been blended in with the rest of the material. Those shoots apparently were a bust, with Alan calling them "six blown opportunities".

But Roger said in 2009 he'd found a bunch of footage and was editing it together, so it could ostensibly be stuff that was filmed in '81, since the New York and London stuff has been floating around on bootlegs for quite awhile now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've read the story that the original footage was planned for the movie but got shelved, and also watched a DVD from Earls Court shows that is definitely a proshot/sbd, but looks like it was transfered from 28th generation VHS tape. Just wasn't sure about current status of it, now when Roger being all into The Wall again

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    In the December 2009 Issue of Mojo, Roger Waters revealed that he had 'discovered a whole load of new footage of The Wall shows' and that he was busy 'editing it'. He explained that he assumed the cameramen decided to shoot more than they were asked to as they had the cameras and 'nobody [seemed] bothered'. It is presumed that this footage is 35mm film.
    I found this on Wikipedia, and is what I'm going by that what he might have is a complete version of the show, shot on 35mm. I'm guessing that any major kind of restoration is taking a backseat to Roger's current projects (which also includes work on a concert film of his Dark Side Of The Moon tour). But if that's true, and the restoration goes off without a hitch, it'll make for an awesome Blu-Ray experience.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The final Experience and Immersion sets are now out worldwide. What does everybody think of them? I opted for the iTunes Experience download — it comes with that really good 50-minute documentary Behind the Wall and eight tracks from Is There Anybody Out There? plus everything from the physical Experience version including all artwork. Pretty good value for $30 even though I already had most of it in other formats.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just found out about this, but VH1 Classic is airing a new documentary from Eagle Rock productions tomorrow at 7:30, The Story Of Wish You Were Here. Details here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I want Experience/Immersion versions of Animals. I don't care what the extras are.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think the Immersion sets are just limited to the three released so far, but I believe there might be more special editions in the pipeline. What I'd love from that period is a live album from the '77 tour. Animals and Wish You Were Here performed in their entirety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd love any quality recording from that tour.
    Last edited by PooPooMeowChow; 03-02-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The documentary was excellent. Highlights for me was Roger talking about his dissatisfaction with Roy Harper's vocal on "Have A Cigar" and engineer Brian Humphries talking about Rick's contribution to the finale of "Shine On".

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw that doc. I love it. Notably the stuff about the artwork and the fragments of Syd Barrett's final recording which are quite beautiful. That pic of him still haunts me to this day of what he's become. Wish You Were Here is still my 2nd favorite Floyd album behind The Wall.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't care what people say, and as hard as I've tried to agree with them I can't. The Division Bell ​is a solid fucking record.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I saw Gilmour play 'Wish You Were Here' on Sunday. Then he did guitar for 'Whiter Shade Of Pale' with Gary Brooker. It was brilliant!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Really good interview. Mostly covers ground Floyd-heads know, but some of the questions at the end are interesting.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Eagle Rock Entertainment is proud to announce the simultaneous release on June 26 of Pink Floyd The Story Of Wish You Were Here on DVD and Blu-ray. This is the authorized story of the album made with the full involvement and approval of the members of Pink Floyd.

Wish You Were Here, released in September 1975, was the follow up album to the globally successful The Dark Side Of The Moon and is cited by many fans, as well as band members Richard Wright and David Gilmour, as their favorite Pink Floyd album. On release it went straight to Number One in both the UK and the US and topped the charts in many other countries around the world. This program tells the story of the making of this landmark release through new interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason and archive interviews with the late Richard Wright. Also featured are sleeve designer Storm Thorgerson, guest vocalist Roy Harper, front cover "burning man" Ronnie Rondell and others involved in the creation of the album. In addition, original recording engineer Brian Humphries revisits the master tapes at Abbey Road Studios to illustrate aspects of the songs' construction.

The band members discuss the album's themes of absence, the greed of the music business and former band member Syd Barrett, who is famously celebrated in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", which both opens and closes the album. The program also covers the unexpected visit Barrett paid to Abbey Road during the recording, the difficulties of the early recording sessions and how the decision to split "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" into two sections was the catalyst for the album's successful completion.

The DVD and Blu-ray releases contain additional bonus material not featured in the TV broadcast version, including further interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason plus Roger Waters and David Gilmour performing excerpts from the Wish You Were Here album.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-03-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    James Guthrie has released a short film detailing his work in London with the band and at Lake Tahoe in his beautiful studio Das Boot remixing Wish You Were Here into 5.1 surround sound.

What's really moving to me is that this is probably one of the last performances Rick ever recorded.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It was probably quite a few years before I ever even noticed that piano part in the original recording. It's not exactly buried in the stereo mix, but hearing it was a bit of a revelation. Little things like that, discovered years later were reaffirmations of my faith in how blown away I was originally by the music.

I really hope this is one of the extras on the DVD/Blu-ray of that documentary mentioned above.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If anyone is going to any of the Wall shows between May the 6th & the 30th, could you please take a pic of the merch booth & post it here. I'm currently undecided between going to the second show or buying some merch. The new 'Trust Us' logo is pretty plain & boring, from what I've seen on RW's official store. I'm just glad that a buddy of mine picked up a hoody for me from the 2010 Dallas show - the new hoody sucks big donkey balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That Wall footage has been online for years. The video quality is grainy, but the sound's not too bad. Unless you're a major audiophile.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Roger is on 60 Minutes ​this Sunday.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think the Wall is their best album, but I like the non-70s albums better overall.

Here's how I would rank their material. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this...lol.

1. The Wall
    2. The Division Bell
    3. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    4. The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    5. Ummagumma
    6. Wish You Were Here
    7. The Final Cut
    8. Dark Side of the Moon
    9. More
    10. A Saucerful of Secrets
    11. Atom Heart Mother
    12. Meddle
    13. Obscured by Clouds
    14. Animals

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Glad to see some appreciation to Gilmor albums. I'd swap Animals and The Final Cut though. The latter is pretty much unlistenable to me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The 60 Minutes piece was pretty good, I would have thought the interview would have delved more into the politics of this show but still an okay bit. It's interesting that Roger went to such lengths to make sure every note was right and faithful to the original recording.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Glad to see some appreciation to Gilmor albums. I'd swap Animals and The Final Cut though. The latter is pretty much unlistenable to me.
    Animals is my No. 1
    My No. 2 is Wish You Were Here
    No 3 is Dark Side of the Moon

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Damnit. I just bought Animals for a dollar in the bargain section and forgot why they're bargains at this particular record store: they're scratched to shit.