Page 419 of 485 FirstFirst ... 319 369 409 417 418 419 420 421 429 469 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,570 of 14544

Thread: Professional Wrestling

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Bray's new Gimmick reminds me of Bo Dallas's gmmick, the one about being a motivational speaker...how funny since they are real life brothers

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That video above shows why the IIconics are some of my favorites.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I love IIconics. They can't work. But, their characters are great. Sometimes way over people's heads. They don't get it. When I hear some podcasts bitching about them I just laugh and think "You got worked, mark!".

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I love IIconics. They can't work. But, their characters are great. Sometimes way over people's heads. They don't get it. When I hear some podcasts bitching about them I just laugh and think "You got worked, mark!".
    I appreciate "workrate" but what gets me to like/love people are the personalities, promo work and character angles they also provide. To me thats what caused most of the beloved wrestlers of all time to get as hugely popular as they did.

I guess that's why the current product these days falls flat most of the time due to promo scripts and writing being poor.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    On a brighter side, I've watched the three episodes of Dark Side of the Ring, and it is pretty great! I think even non-wrestling fans could enjoy it. But holy shit, Vince Russo is such a rat. I sincerely hope he is being an absolute ass to get even with Cornette, and don't actually believe that he put the idea of double-crossing in Mcmahon's ear.
    Great show that puts these stories in a decent context non-fans and marks like us can enjoy. I am looking forward to the next three which cover the Von Erichs, Gino Hernandez and Moolah. The ratings for this have been very good and the creators have already put some work into the 2nd season with episodes on Dino Bravo and Chris Benoit planned.

I have to say that the Montreal episode is the one I enjoyed the least of the three so far. Cornette and Russo didn't seem very compelling to me though I give Corny the edge for being himself. Scott Hall saying it was a work was rather unconvincing or even interesting to me (and of course he would say that, he doesn't want to make his friend out to be an asshole). I actually felt like the show treated Bret like an afterthought and Bruce had the best line at the end that really summed the whole thing up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I have to say that the Montreal episode is the one I enjoyed the least of the three so far. Cornette and Russo didn't seem very compelling to me though I give Corny the edge for being himself. Scott Hall saying it was a work was rather unconvincing or even interesting to me (and of course he would say that, he doesn't want to make his friend out to be an asshole). I actually felt like the show treated Bret like an afterthought and Bruce had the best line at the end that really summed the whole thing up.
    Cornette was the one that saved the episode, i don't think they taught me nothing about the screwjob, but watching Cornette talk is always gold

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is 99% fake.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    That NXT ladder match would be badass though.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Yeah, but it doesn't make any sense putting the match in a WWE PPV, then again not much in WWE make sense lately

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd do it every now and then. Make it feel like a legitimate third brand. Won't happen though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quite an atrocious RAW but the wife had a lot of airtime and a (dumb) match also. Not sure why people hate on her for squashes and pushes given the fact she looked like a moron and lost her 3rd out of 4 matches since September. Not sure who that helped really. Naomi has beaten Alexa more than a few times, once even for the SD! Title, without distractions so the win was diminished. Alexa looked dumb and a tweener all night. Hope she has a face change soon.

I hope she wins again so people can have a bitch fit meltdown online like they did last time.

If not I’d really like to see Sonya Deville enter and win. That’d be awesome.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Quite an atrocious RAW but the wife had a lot of airtime and a (dumb) match also. Not sure why people hate on her for squashes and pushes given the fact she looked like a moron and lost her 3rd out of 4 matches since September. Not sure who that helped really. Naomi has beaten Alexa more than a few times, once even for the SD! Title, without distractions so the win was diminished. Alexa looked dumb and a tweener all night. Hope she has a face change soon.

I hope she wins again so people can have a bitch fit meltdown online like they did last time.

If not I’d really like to see Sonya Deville enter and win. That’d be awesome.

EH it wasn't that bad, at least Sami is killing it with the promo's

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    EH it wasn't that bad, at least Sami is killing it with the promo's
    You mean Vince McMahon?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    COUNTERPOINT - Naomi only beat Alexa last night because she wasn't in the proper ring attire and had to keep re-tying her shoes, thus giving Naomi the advantage.

I think I'm a bigger Alexa fan than you are now because I make more apologies for her. Give me your avatar.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    COUNTERPOINT - Naomi only beat Alexa last night because she wasn't in the proper ring attire and had to keep re-tying her shoes, thus giving Naomi the advantage.

I think I'm a bigger Alexa fan than you are now because I make more apologies for her. Give me your avatar.
    I know it was a protection thing but it only made her look like she can’t tie shoelaces.

Never! I still await the ability to use gifs. I want her animated damnit!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    You mean Vince McMahon?

What, and give him credit for that shit? No thanks. It's Sami

In other news, Jeff hardy got injured in a house show and might be out, the hardyz are gonna let us know tonight

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    What, and give him credit for that shit? No thanks. It's Sami

In other news, Jeff hardy got injured in a house show and might be out, the hardyz are gonna let us know tonight
    The promo scripts are clearly Vince talking to audience members and back handing insults to unhappy talent.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't know if Vince writes Sami's promos, but i'm sure he's enjoying the hell of it.

Literally the only interesting thing last night was Bray's segment, i think i'm going into "RAW Hibernation mode" again...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

The "I don't know why I'm looking at my shoe" portion was so NOT Alexa Bliss.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Good for him. I never liked him or the Shield but he was infinitely better than the other two and the fact he was never on the level he should've been was atrocious.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He's good when he wants to be. He's not shackled anymore. So let's see what he's got. The potential is always there. Just doesn't seem like he cares a lot of the time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Man I really think that WWE needs to eliminate the writing staff. Like, entirely. Listened to JR on Busted Open and it seems as if this was the case during the Attitude Era. Granted, much of that content would be panned today (and really doesn't stand up upon revisits, either) but it sure as hell seemed like EVERYONE had a reason or motive for their actions on television. Have producers and bookers setup matches and let the talent tell the stories. Naturally, you'd have ONE point person for creative/storyline continuity (i.e. Road Dogg) and if something rubs a sponsor the wrong way, slap a fine on the talent and document it so that future talent doesn't step in the same shit.

I know that's a very simplistic suggestion, but does it have to be so complicated? Two people want to fight. In another Busted Open interview with Marty Scurll, when asked about his match with Aldis for the NWA show this past weekend, he simply said that he wants the title. He didn't have to threaten to throw Aldis' wife in front of a train. It's not rocket science. Give us a reason to give a shit.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not sure who's to blame anymore. It's either creative not being creative. Or Vince is just way too picky and decides to rewrite the show on the day of. They have an entire week to write and rewrite. Yet he waits until the last minute to.rewrite the inevitable clusterfuck we end up getting.

Nothing means anything. Titles mean nothing. Divisions mean nothing. No one really has an identity. Just people with names trading wins and losses. Some lose their first names for random reasons. It's a mess either way. Vince needs to step down. Triple H knows what needs to be done. He proves it with NXT . Vince just doesn't get it anymore. Tries the same shit he did in 1985 in 2019.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My guess is that during the Attitude days it was "do whatever it takes to get on top" and now that they're on top its "do whatever it takes to keep the sponsors happy".

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Here's the thing about the Attitude Era - probably 65% of it was crap and the 35% of it that was good was REALLY good. The problem with the writing is the consistency due to one man having the final say on EVERYTHING. They were also able to be creative with things since they had constant competition from another large wrestling company at the time. That's why I'm excited for AEW to get rolling and start putting the heat back on.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Lio Rush - There were rumors of him having heat due to several things backstage, so he reached out to Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful to clear things up. - https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/e...we-heat-rumors

"My issue has never been with Bobby (Lashley)," Lio told Fightful. "Being with Bobby has helped the both of us out tremendously. It’s given me speaking confidence I didn’t know i had. I never was a promo guy on the indies. But being with Bobby made me a promo guy. My issue isn’t with my on screen role. My issue is the fact that I haven’t been on meet & greets with Bobby, haven’t been getting paid for merchandise for us that has my catchphrases on them. (I) have been sent to live shows and TVs and forced to pay for my own rental for 5 days as well as hotel while not making enough money to do so. Walking around broke in the biggest sports entertainment industry that there is while having two kids and a wife to support."
    Removing the character from the equation - Lio Rush is a great performer who has put on great matches when asked to do so. There's no reason for WWE to be stingy with booking travel accommodations for their talent because this isn't the fucking 1980s and WWE is a publicly traded company whose owner is a billionaire. Same goes for royalties for wrestler merchandise.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Don't think WWE ever really handles that stuff, I think. Maybe rare occasions or for top talent. Pretty sure that's why Ryback left too.

Royalties are a different story. If what he's saying is true, he's getting dicked. Not sure how much I believe about him being broke though. Gotta imagine, even without royalties, he's got to be doing alright. Probably not as well as Lashley, but still decent.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Don't think WWE ever really handles that stuff, I think. Maybe rare occasions or for top talent. Pretty sure that's why Ryback left too.

Royalties are a different story. If what he's saying is true, he's getting dicked. Not sure how much I believe about him being broke though. Gotta imagine, even without royalties, he's got to be doing alright. Probably not as well as Lashley, but still decent.
    They should be handling that stuff though. It would make their independent contractor problems a little less dire if they arranged to hire a travel company like every other publicly traded company does to arrange travel for the people they rely on to make them profitable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It sounds like his wife and kids travel with him, so she's probably not working. Even if he's making $100K/year, that's about $50K/year for each of them. It's not terrible, but not that great either. The bottom line is it's not my place to judge him for how he's living, and I can clearly understand his argument and it sounds valid.