Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Non-Drinker/Smoker Thread or What do drinkers really think of non-drinkers?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

The Non-Drinker/Smoker Thread or What do drinkers really think of non-drinkers?

What made you quit drinking/smoking? What made you choose to not start drinking/smoking? I also bring this up because I have a hard time understanding why some drinkers don't like being around non-drinkers. Of course, if the non-drinker was to get all preachy, derogatory, judgmental, and pompous, I could see that, but if that's not the case, why is it such a problem? And from the looks if it, it seems like some drinkers wouldn't want to be around quiet people too. Is it really because they believe that quiet people can't be trusted, especially when they're sober due to harboring secrets and telling lies? That was another argument I came across aside from non-drinkers being a buzzkills, control freaks, or complete and utter bores.

And I feel like it's bad to impose on either side. I didn't go around telling people to stop drinking, and I'm actually not a teetotaler at this point of my life either, but I also didn't feel compelled to convert everybody into drinkers the same way I don't try to convert vegetarians/vegans into eating meat. I even feel the same way about them too. As long as they're not condemning me and ridiculing me for eating meat, I could be cool with them too. I also hope I didn't offend any drinkers here. I'm all for your right to drink as much as you please, like how I'm for a vegetarian/vegan to abstain from as much meat and animal products as they please despite how much I love beef. And even if I was a teetotaler, I'd do a thing called mind my damn business.

This topic has always piqued my curiosity ever since I was ragged on for not drinking by drinkers. And while I'm not a teetotaler at this point of my life, my lifestyle is a straight-edge kind of lifestyle in a way. There was even a woman I liked that refused to explain why me not drinking was a problem. She just assumed that I was judging her even when I didn't say anything bad to her. Me not smoking made her feel bad too.

I think this could also be a non-smoker thread as well. Oh, and since I changed my mind far too late on including the word smoker, the drinking and smoking parts could be interchangeable here.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I don't smoke because my mom was a nurse and because I'm a cheapskate. I don't drink because I'm a cheapskate, and getting drunk doesn't actually make me feel good. As a non-drinker (with the exception of having a Guiness on Friday at lunch, because I ironically get free drinks at work) I find beer/booze culture extraordinarily tiring, and see alcoholism a very prevalent... thing. Anyone who tells you that a non-drinker is a buzzkill, a bore, or a control freak, is projecting their own desire to control, their own insecurity about being boring, and clearly they're killing any fun you're having. I'm 33, and I think everyone I knew who was like that has been filtered out of my life by now, either through social decisions, or through high speed collisions.

A few years ago, word came through Facebook that two guys I went to high school with were killed in a high-speed car accidenton the way back from a bachelor party for one of them. They were always kind of douchey, and fuck them for getting totally shitfaced 60 miles away from home (because you gotta party before you're locked down to the ball and chain, bro!) and deciding to drive themselves back. I'm just glad they didn't take anyone else out when they careened off the highway.

As a non-drinker, I am always happy to take the keys. I've driven the van for two bachelor parties for friends. Just the other week, I had thrown a big bash, and one of my central PA friends was completely smashed, and someone saw him walking to his car. I caught up with him, and drove him to my house where he slept it off. It was my 10th anniversary party, but I'll put that aside if it means I can keep one more drunk driver off the road. (Again, this guy was over 120 miles away from home, having trouble stringing words together, and he's old enough to fucking know better)

I generally don't make a big deal out of not drinking. If anyone gives me a hard time about drinking (and that almost never happens anymore), I let them buy me drinks that I pour onto the floor, or into other people's drinks. People used to buy me shots when I drummed in a punk band, and I'd whip em over my shoulder, miming as though I was drinking them down.
    I'd like to start telling people I'm a recovering alcoholic if they bug me about it - but again, most people don't anymore. That's probably because I don't generally hang out with college-age people.

When I take month-long trips to Australia or roadtrips around the US, and people ask me how I can afford it, my go-to is that I don't drink or smoke. It's incredible to me what people will spend on drinks when they go out.

I do think there'd be far fewer assaults, rapes, murders, and so forth, if it weren't for the prevalence of cheap alcohol, but things like that just aren't even worth philosophizing about in western civilization. It's not going to happen, and even if it were to happen, it would be driven by the wrong kind of people (see also: American prohibition)

Edit: Oh yeah, even though I don't 'do drugs' or smoke, and only a few years ago started the 'have a drink at lunch on Friday' thing, I would like to point out that I have never ever called nor considered myself straightedge.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't smoke, but I drink regularly. I'm also not dependent upon it, which is, as Levi stated in a far more eloquent way, a great way to save money. I do a lot of my drinking at home or at my in-laws (there every Sunday for football and whatever) and even then, it's usually red wine or the occasional beer. I'm also not talking getting trashed all the time. As the body gets older, alcohol is one of the biggest kicks in the balls hangover-wise. If I occasionally do have too much, at a birthday or something...fuck my life I'm hungover for like 2.5 days. Definintely not worth it, and with the ever-increasing bills and expenses I have to deal with, it'd be a shame if I tossed a shit ton of money towards booze.

The first thing that goes through my mind whenever I actually am out and order my wife and I a drink or two...and see the bill for $40 or something is 'Christ, I could've had an entire bottle of decent wine for this'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I never felt the need to smoke and I stopped drinking because it was too expensive for me and didn't really do much for me. At this point, with the medications I'm on, it really wouldn't mix well with alcohol, so I really can't drink anyway.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I recently quit smoking not necessarily because I wanted to, I love it and always will, but because I have a significant other whom I love with all my heart and a family (no kids yet, maybe, maybe not) and I decided it was time to put my heath first. I still miss it, and may have a cigarette or two on the off evening if it calls for it, but even if I never have another smoke for the next 100 years I will always be a smoker. Just one that doesn't smoke. I simply want to live as long a life as possible so I can grow old with her and take care of her when she needs me too. I also want to be in better shape so I can do more and be more productive in our current lives. If she passes before me, after 50+ years of non smoking, the first thing I'd do, when I could muster it, is go and buy a pack of smokes as sad as that might be.

I don't really drink alcohol much anymore, I had an ulcer a while back, probably due to chronic drinking (5-6 nights a week at the pub for many years straight), and it just doesn't process well anymore, specifically beer. On a rare occasion I'll still have one or two with an old friend, but any more than that and I am asking for trouble with my stomach. If I go to the bar for a night or to a concert/club show, I will drink rye and gingers. They go down much easier. I do enjoy those nights, but they only come around a few nights a years now and I'm usually rolling without the lady so jd or cc = a bit of a harmless escape for me I suppose, plus especially when it involves music I do get a bit nostalgic going back to my live music days.

If we have a nice dinner or I have a cocktail type function I will drink red wine. I definitely appreciate a nice bottle of vino. When we want to spend a nice romantic evening alone, we'll go and get some nice bread, cheeses, and cured meats and make a platter, pour some wine, etc. We munch and get a buzz, throw some music on and have some fine slightly drunken sex. It's about as wild as we get and even that isn't a very regular occurrence.

It's funny though for as much as I've probably drank in my life I've never had an issue with alcohol, outside of my stomach. If I never had another drop I don't think I'd miss it terribly, unlike the cigarettes. As I try and shave pointless expenses out of my life so I can pay down my debt and get some freedom financially, alcohol is definitely one of the things to go first. Although when it comes to the cigarettes its funny. Everyone always use to say "think about how much money you would save if you quit" blah blah blah and extrapolate out how much extra cash I would have had after 10 years of smoking. You mean I could have bought a ferrari? Oh yeah? Well where's your fuckin ferrari, bitch? Ha. Not that I'd want one anyways, but you get my point. I haven't noticed much extra coin in my pocket as a result. I wasn't a pack a day smoker but still. That extra 50-80 bucks a month finds its way to be spent on other silent things, believe me. Difference is if you are a big drinker, that could be 200-400 a month, which I'm pretty sure I would notice. I'm a tall guy and it takes me a good hundred bucks minimum to get wasted at the bar these days. If I went out once a week as many I know do, I'd be fucked now. I don't know how they do it, to be honest.

I had my drug phases and those are pretty much over too, maybe once a year or something I may do a bump. And even that is something I will try to avoid if possible. I still tend to always keep some pot on hand, and I will enjoy smoking that till the day I die. But I work a job with a fucked up hours, and it was really effecting my diet and making me eat like shit. It's been a bit hard breaking the connection between pot and food for me as I try eat smarter and healthier. So I've kind of put the pot on the back burner, and have been smoking a lot less, until I get my diet straight. I use it more as a late night treat when I go on walks with our dogs instead of as a meal enhancer, etc.

At the end of the day, I don't care if you drink, or smoke, or do drugs, or don't do anything. If you are a good person with interesting things to say and love to spread in the world, I'll enjoy being around you. If you are a douchebag who makes the world a worst place to be, drunk or sober, then I have no time for you. Sure in my experiences I've noticed that the more people enjoy alcohol the more mean spirited they can be, and I have a ton of traits, good and bad, which I can associate with smokers too, but they are all very general and it wouldn't be right of me to throw those on to people I don't know. I will laugh and say that I've never particularly enjoyed straight edge people, not necessarily because they aren't getting fucked up, but because they usually tend to be heavily into religion, or look around at what they are seeing and act disgusted with the world, instead of simply understanding a lot of people have problems and this is, right or wrong, how they choose to deal with them and judging them isn't going to help the situation, it's only going to make you have a shittier time.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh, I just wanted to point out that it's like I could be straight-edge. (Not that anybody has been calling me that. I just wanted to clarify what I meant by that in case I was misunderstood.) I'm neither straight-edge or religious in actuality. Besides, even if I don't smoke, and don't drink regularly, I still have a lot of unhealthy habits that wouldn't give me any room to judge. (Not that I should judge people over such things to start with.) For instance, overeating is one of my worst addictive vices ever, right up there with sugar and caffeine.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    overeating is one of my worst addictive vices ever, right up there with sugar and caffeine.
    Right there with you, though I've mostly cut out the caffeine.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Actually the worst addiction I have which will be harder to quit than anything in the history of the world for me will be Diet Coke/Coke Zero. If I even could Id probably become an alcoholic cause I'd drink wine with every meal instead.

The shit is toxic but my body actually needs it. I can't function without it. It's fucked up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've had 2 cigarettes in my life- after the first my throat was sore (I was probably doing something wrong) and after the second I felt nauseous and dizzy for hours. Obviously smoking's not for me.

I've had an on/off relationship with alcohol since I started drinking (under parental supervision) at 15. I got to the point of near-dependence at around 18/19. The only thing that held me back from getting completely hammered every night were the nasty hangovers I got the morning after and the desire to be somewhat productive at Uni/work. I've got stress/anxiety issues and alcohol helped me bury those feelings for a few hours at a time. The turning point for me to (near) sobriety was when my wife (then girlfriend) got pregnant. We both quit for the duration of the pregnancy. My daughter is now 2 and in that time I've spent less on alcohol than I used to in a month. I haven't been drunk at all since 2010. I came pretty close to falling off the wagon late last year (the Christmas period was a bit of a rollercoaster) but have now gone completely dry again. We've got another kid on the way, so all the more reason for me to keep straight.

I'm not a judgmental person at all. I've got my personal reasons for avoiding smoking/boozing but I don't feel anything negative towards those that partake. Whatever floats one's boat. I'm not a fan of the industries and many of their practices, but I'm not about to argue for prohibition or anything.

Edit: I kind of left this out of my first writeup because I didn't want to come across as blaming anyone but myself for my problem drinking, but me trying to keep up with my older and more alcohol-tolerant step-brothers was what made me become more irresponsible in my drinking habits. My parents were great about introducing me to alcohol sensibly when I became curious and I'll probably try a similar thing with my children when/if they start to become curious. As a comparison, none of my 3 siblings are especially interested in alcohol nowadays at all.
    -

I too am a massive caffeine addict. The longest I've been without a single caffeinated beverage in recent memory is about 36 hours. By hour 24 I had an unbearable headache and felt extremely irritable. Don't know how I'm kicking this habit...
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 09-22-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I don't smoke because my mom was a nurse and because I'm a cheapskate. I don't drink because I'm a cheapskate, and getting drunk doesn't actually make me feel good. As a non-drinker (with the exception of having a Guiness on Friday at lunch, because I ironically get free drinks at work) I find beer/booze culture extraordinarily tiring, and see alcoholism a very prevalent... thing.
    I could definitely understand that. If it's not for you, it simply isn't for you. I also saw it like preferences with foods or others drinks, or just differing interests in general. To each their own.

Anyone who tells you that a non-drinker is a buzzkill, a bore, or a control freak, is projecting their own desire to control, their own insecurity about being boring, and clearly they're killing any fun you're having.
    This would have to include their claims on non-drinkers being liars to then. They believe that only drunk people tell the truth, and that if you're a non-drinker, that automatically means you're hiding something.

A few years ago, word came through Facebook that two guys I went to high school with were killed in a high-speed car accidenton the way back from a bachelor party for one of them. They were always kind of douchey, and fuck them for getting totally shitfaced 60 miles away from home (because you gotta party before you're locked down to the ball and chain, bro!) and deciding to drive themselves back. I'm just glad they didn't take anyone else out when they careened off the highway.
    This reminds me of another expression that seems to be used a lot by people that love to constantly party hard and get shitfaced as much as possible.

"If you don't do anything stupid while you're young, you'll have nothing to to smile about when you're old."

Or... you can have your life ended sooner than you think. I'd feel the same way as you did if it were me too.

As a non-drinker, I am always happy to take the keys. I've driven the van for two bachelor parties for friends. Just the other week, I had thrown a big bash, and one of my central PA friends was completely smashed, and someone saw him walking to his car. I caught up with him, and drove him to my house where he slept it off. It was my 10th anniversary party, but I'll put that aside if it means I can keep one more drunk driver off the road. (Again, this guy was over 120 miles away from home, having trouble stringing words together, and he's old enough to fucking know better)
    The mere thought of that was far too insane and out there to me. He's very lucky to have a friend like you.

I generally don't make a big deal out of not drinking. If anyone gives me a hard time about drinking (and that almost never happens anymore), I let them buy me drinks that I pour onto the floor, or into other people's drinks. People used to buy me shots when I drummed in a punk band, and I'd whip em over my shoulder, miming as though I was drinking them down.
    That hasn't happened to me either, since I haven't been working with a majority of co-workers that were obsessed with partying and getting shitfaced. Oh, and thank you so much for giving me those ideas in a way. If that ever happens to me again, and it gets really that irritating, I will definitely do what you did whenever you were pressured, harassed, or heckled for not drinking. Hopefully, this will still never be an issue, but is worse comes to worst, I'm doing just that.

I'd like to start telling people I'm a recovering alcoholic if they bug me about it - but again, most people don't anymore. That's probably because I don't generally hang out with college-age people.
    And perhaps it wasn't a coincidence that the majority of them were college-aged as well. I noticed that most people seem to slowly but surely put a stop to that lifestyle once they get into their late 20s and early 30s, and it most cases, it's usually done over by the mid 30s at the latest. (As there are some exceptions, since I've also seen people in their late 20s and 30s still into partying and getting shitfaced as if they're under 25.)

When I take month-long trips to Australia or roadtrips around the US, and people ask me how I can afford it, my go-to is that I don't drink or smoke. It's incredible to me what people will spend on drinks when they go out.
    For real, that same woman I was talking about told me that told me that she spends literally hundreds of dollars on alcohol. To add a little more detail to her interests, she tends to go to nightclubs almost every Friday and Saturday night or at the very least a couple of times a month, yet complains about being broke. (Which I'd get, but aside from the alcohol, clubs sure don't come cheap.)

I do think there'd be far fewer assaults, rapes, murders, and so forth, if it weren't for the prevalence of cheap alcohol, but things like that just aren't even worth philosophizing about in western civilization. It's not going to happen, and even if it were to happen, it would be driven by the wrong kind of people (see also: American prohibition)
    I remember Bill Hicks actually saying that about alcohol too, which was kind of interesting considering how he did hard drugs.

Edit: Oh yeah, even though I don't 'do drugs' or smoke, and only a few years ago started the 'have a drink at lunch on Friday' thing, I would like to point out that I have never ever called nor considered myself straightedge.
    As do I. You post was a real breath of fresh air regarding this topic. I'm thankful that I'm not alone here. (Not that I was ever completely alone, but it sucks being misunderstood, especially just because I'm not really into drinking.) So yes, your understanding is very much appreciated.

It's also screwed up that some people wouldn't even consider to befriend or date a non-drinker, or just as screwed up knowing that you could lose friends for quitting smoking and/or drinking.

I'm 33, and I think everyone I knew who was like that has been filtered out of my life by now, either through social decisions, or through high speed collisions.
    Aren't
    some people also friends just because of the drinking and smoking? If so, I suppose that's one of those cases where truth can be stranger than fiction. It just really boggles the mind knowing that they wouldn't be able to stand each other, or simply not care to be around each other if one or the other didn't, or stopped smoking and/or drinking. It really just sounds like bullshit to me.

-Edit-

I also noticed how some drinkers also hate it when non-drinkers remember everything. Well, to put the shoe on the other foot, wouldn't that make it look like they have something to hide too?
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Because we all might have something to hide. =P

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I don't drink (much, at all) because alcohol makes me feel really shitty. I get effects really quickly and it's a lot of tiredness and clumsiness and a foggy head and my coordination/vision/hearing goes to shit. With like none of the fun stuff. Which sucks, because I do like most alcoholic drinks, but I have to moderate myself or I end up feeling like crap. Even if I'm only having one or two, I have to space that shit out.

That said, yeah, I find the culture that exists around drinking to be a little frustrating sometimes. But, if people are having a good time and they don't become assholes, I don't mind. There have definitely been some incidents of drunk boyfriend/sober playwithfire, where I was like SIGH YOU'RE DRUNK and I'm not and SIGH, but he moderates that shit fairly well usually and if he's having a good time, fine by me.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I loathe alcohol and the general effects it has on most people. I also don't smoke but don't get mad or upset about it being around me either. I can't really grasp the general consensus of people that love, love, love to drink alcohol. I'm talking the fucks that drink it non-chalantly and like its fucking water. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Smoking: I don't smoke, and I don't understand why anyone ever would. There are NO benefits whatsoever (unless you count the effect of it calming you...because you're withdrawing from your last one). It sucks away assloads of money. Aside from being extremely unhealthy, it makes you smell like shit and generally pisses off any non-smokers anywhere near you - even outside. When "friends" tried to peer pressure me into smoking in middle school, I dropped them faster than my college typography class. On dating sites, I've been one click away from sending a message to someone who seems like my dream woman, only to see "Smokes: yes" written in their profile. I immediately hide them.

Drinking: I drink, but I don't "drink" - if that makes sense. I absolutely hated my first sip of beer (at age 20), but my older brother and best friend were both "beer geeks" who introduced me to the world of craft beer. I love trying new beers of almost all styles, but very much in moderation. I've accidentally gone past my tolerance - which is extremely low - just a couple of times. It sucked so much. I've never passed out/blacked out, but even just the spinning/dizzy feeling from drinking too much is absolutely awful. I hate it. And not being in total control of my body, both physically and mentally, is a disconcerting thought. There are so many beers that I love the taste of, but can only share them with friends. Take Alesmith's Speedway Stout, for example. Only sold in 750ml bottles (think wine bottle), and just as alcoholic (about 12% ABV, I think). If I drank the whole thing, I'd be dizzy as fuck and would quite likely end up puking my guts out. But I love the taste of it; it's something I love to sip on as a dessert once, maybe twice a year.

One of my best friends doesn't drink. Period. Never has, and never will. If you ask him about it, he just shrugs and says "yeah, I'm weird like that". But if you get to know him, he'll open up and talk about his family history, how he's seen it ruin too many peoples' lives, and that he doesn't want to risk it. And then he'll drop it. If we watch a game together, he doesn't say a word if I want to have a drink (which I usually don't, just out of solidarity). Heck, he even came to Oktoberfest with me because he still likes the other aspects of it. But unless someone's being a drunk fuck, he won't actively speak out against it and doesn't discourage his friends from partaking. He's super respectful of others' choices as long as those people aren't harming themselves or others.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't drink/smoke, don't care about it... my vices are music, comics and movies, i wouldn't change neither of them for a cheap beer or some cigarette packs...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I quit smoking last year and quit drinking 7 days ago. The last two days were pretty hard but I had a friend taking my mind off of it. These have been the first two nights in a row with no work and no drinking in about 4 years. It feels odd, but good

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Interesting to see how many non-drinkers on ets.
    We had a similar conversation going at some point:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...light=drinking
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @aggroculture - That really was a good read. I could've tried to use the word sober in the search function and Google, but just had the word non-drinker in mind at the time, and just ended up thinking about non-smoking and non-smokers too.

Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I don't drink (much, at all) because alcohol makes me feel really shitty. I get effects really quickly and it's a lot of tiredness and clumsiness and a foggy head and my coordination/vision/hearing goes to shit. With like none of the fun stuff. Which sucks, because I do like most alcoholic drinks, but I have to moderate myself or I end up feeling like crap. Even if I'm only having one or two, I have to space that shit out.
    I just had an obvious hunch that it just doesn't affect everybody in exactly the same way. I was told that happiness, pleasure, and relaxation was always guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    That said, yeah, I find the culture that exists around drinking to be a little frustrating sometimes. But, if people are having a good time and they don't become assholes, I don't mind. There have definitely been some incidents of drunk boyfriend/sober Lydia, where I was like SIGH YOU'RE DRUNK and I'm not and SIGH, but he moderates that shit fairly well usually and if he's having a good time, fine by me.
    My thoughts exactly as well. As long as they're not giving me any shit, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I loathe alcohol and the general effects it has on most people. I also don't smoke but don't get mad or upset about it being around me either. I can't really grasp the general consensus of people that love, love, love to drink alcohol. I'm talking the fucks that drink it non-chalantly and like its fucking water. EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    In that case, I'd at least hope that they were happy drunks. Oh yes, what you said also reminds me of alcoholics claiming that it tastes delicious at a certain point. So perhaps, they not only get accustomed to the taste, but end up loving it too? It's just a guess, since I've met drinkers that also ended up liking the taste in addition to getting drunk. Some of them also hate the taste and drink for the affect. (Which is obviously to be expected.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't smoke, never had the desire to. I think smoking looks pretty cool in movies and in pictures, but its not worth all the money, not to mention the damage to yourself and the people around you. My father was a heavy smoker, my mother quit 8 years ago (and I'm really proud of her). I guess I'm used to being around smokers, but I still don't like it.

I nearly never drink alcohol and if I drink, I always have my limits. It has useful effects for me, like I 'm more talkative and I care less, its good for dates and any other social occasion. But honestly I don't get much out of it, I only drink when I'm surrounded by other people who drink. I understand why people get plastered all the time to escape their reality, but in my opinion there are better ways than alcohol. I'm probably biased because my father was an alcoholic when I was 6. I hate being around drunks and all the culture revolving around alcohol in my country. Its for a lot of people perfectly normal here to get intoxicated every weekend..
    each to their own, but I prefer people around me being non-smokers/drinkers

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Considering the awful hangovers I sometimes have I really don't know what gets me to drink 5 to 6 beers and sometimes a gin tonic whenever we go out. Of course it has the side effect of caring less and being more talkative as MrsMeowMeow mentioned and I don't get drunk easily, but I never have the urge to drink when I'm alone and I never said something like "Wow, now I need a beer!" when having had a rough day at work. It's not even delicious most of the time. The overall celebratory part about alocohol might be why people and me are coming back to it. It's some kind of vacation and a sign that we are wealthy and the times are good, at least that's how I feel about it. It did get out of hand two times already within the last month, not severe, but to the point where I didn't feel comfortable, so I refuse to drink some for a while and make it something special again.

I never cared about smoking though. I used to enjoy a cigar here and there but that was mainly to show off or feel great in some ways and celebrate something special which is a paradox in itself considering how shitty you feel after a whole cigar. Family has some heavy smokers with my father and uncle having quit years ago, but I guess that's where my apathy is coming from. I don't care about smoking friends though but it's a no go at my house or places where I eat. I also don't know what weed is all about. It never worked for me and only fucks up my circulation system, getting dizzy and shit.

When it comes to relationships: I don't care if the lady drinks. She should be in control and as long as that is given she's free to enjoy herself. I actually enjoy it if a date is a non-drinker since that saves me money and I won't drink as much myself. Smokers I won't date though, so you're pretty much out of question for me when you ask for a lighter although that's a good conversation starter I must confess.

The problem with both, alcohol and cigarettes, is that most people only do it to fit in or come closer to characters on TV and advertising. I might have been guilty as charged in my younger days but I actually feel sorry for people who still run after these images in their thirties.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I'm also going to put it out there that I'm also super not a fan of (obviously always super consenting) drunk sex.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    The problem with both, alcohol and cigarettes, is that most people only do it to fit in or come closer to characters on TV and advertising. I might have been guilty as charged in my younger days but I actually feel sorry for people who still run after these images in their thirties.
    This really caught my attention because I would actually understand it if they did it just because they really liked drinking and smoking. I'd actually get that. I also noticed that while some of them love to do it in a group, they actually start to feel like something is wrong if they were to drink or smoke alone. And as I've asked earlier in this thread, are there people that are friends and hang out only because they drink and smoke? I never understood why a friendship has to end or not even start just because the other person stopped drinking/smoking, or wasn't a smoker/drinker to start with.

It's even worse to me when they actually can't stand each other without the drinks and smokes. I've heard about that too. If it wasn't for the drinks and smokes, they simply wouldn't stand or care to be around each other.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-23-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my entire family smokes. mom. dad. my grandpa quit over the years and my grandmother (recently passed) had a lung removed 20 years ago due to lung cancer. i've had a cigarette to try, and a few cloves when i was a young, pretentious goth kid, but otherwise, i can't stand it. i generally have no judgements towards anyone who does, but i certainly do not allow for it in my home.

since we grew up in a smoking household, all of my possessions and clothes smelled strongly of smoke for years, so much so that i grew numb to it and never noticed anymore. i'm sure i've had my fill of secondhand smoke over the years. my brothers and i all had this pact growing up that we would never start, but the two middle brothers started up recently and i'm quite depressed about it, honestly. my mom chain smokes, even after losing her mother to cancer that came back. the few times i had a cigarette i never 'enjoyed it' or felt any differently, just smelled bad, coughed a lot, and had a pretty miserable experience, so i just don't understand the point of shelling out money for something that generally makes you feel terrible and will inevitably kill you. i just don't get it.

alcohol on the other hand, i had a problem with. with the aforementioned parents' divorce, i grew up quickly and helped to raise my younger brothers starting in 7th/8th grade. i generally held it together and excelled at school with the extra stress, but i turned to the liquor cabinet to cope. became co-dependent very, very young... had my stomach pumped one night, and didn't touch booze again until late high school/college, and it was mostly wine. once i discovered good beer and learned to pace myself, i became a social drinker- out at clubs, djing, playing shows, etc. i flirted once or twice with some more serious stuff (never anything in the blood) but while i can't speak poorly of the experience, i am not compelled to do any of it again.

since my early years, i've never gotten blackout drunk (i know my limits and usually stop well within in reason), and only drank to the point of err..throwing up once, when overdoing it on wine in 2003 or so. hangovers were rare until i hit 29/30 or so, which is when i started slowing down on nightlife in general due to burning out/lack of interest (i've mentioned this elsewhere- mostly the nightlife and introvert threads). i've always disliked bars but the lifestyle called for it, so scaling back on that sort of nightlife has helped cut back from an already lower alcohol intake than most in my circles. now, if i find myself at a nice dinner with old friends, i'll have a beer or two. DJing, the same. paced, with water/food in between, and general as a social thing and not as a mood inhibitor. now that we have practice on a weekly basis i find myself having one or two beers a week and i'd like to scale that back down already...

edit: i'll add that do like the taste of beer, though am picky. also, when i am tipsy, i'm a fun drunk- generally in good spirits, or more or less the same just a little more exciteable/chatty than usual. in the wine days, i was a bit of a romantic. i've never been a violent or nasty drunk outside of those early years, with reason. i'm cranky enough without booze.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 09-23-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    That's another good point not to be forgotten. Alcohol can have a whole different impact depending on each person. Personally most people won't notice when I'm drunk and only good friends will know the difference. Usually I only talk a bit faster and tend to jump from topic to topic but I've never been severly drunk so that I couldn't articulate myself anymore. I might get too tired and leave or start to feel sick before hitting rock bottom. Each and every one of us needs to know about his limits. There's no one who can make that decision for you.

I can not really recall right now what it's like in the US or UK although I've visited quite often, but most of the time booze (beer especially) is cheaper at bars than most drinks. And I don't see the point in actually ordering water to be honest. I'll have tap water (something I wouldn't even have for free in the US) for free if I ask nicely but yeah, most of the time I will stick with beer since it's the cheapest or the bar we are at doesn't have the sodas I like. I don't drink juice where I don't know where it's coming from.

Apart from gin variations I also stopped ordering cocktails years ago since they are definitely too steep in price and you would actually have to go to some place decent to get a good one that is worth its money. And even then I wouldn't down more than two. Schnaps on the other hand tends to be a bitch when people start giving free rounds on birthdays etc. That is definitely a situation where I have to say "no" more often.
    @Kris : I actually never experienced people looking down on me for not drinking alcohol when I'm out. People know that I can drink a bar empty so they will give me a look when I have an "off-day" and am still out but most of the time they are pretty cool with it in the end. And many people will actually look up to you for staying "strong" which is actually sad in itself when you think about it. But if people consider you not fun because you're not a drinker than you shouldn't hang out with them in the first place.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    My views on smoking are a little extreme but hey, what are you gunna do.

I think smokers shouldn't have the right to vote or have children because if they're going to do something as mind-numbingly stupid to their bodies like that they are not mentally capable enough to make choices that would affect other peoples lives.
    I seriously think they have a form of mental retardation, or mental deficiency for being a slave to such a substance...billions of years of evolution - BILLIONS and you're going to allow yourself to have such an animalistic addiction to such a stupid chemical?

GTF outta here.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 09-24-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I don't smoke. My dad smoked for decades- he didn't smoke around us and he didn't have any health problems from it, but it was just annoying to see it become a priority for him when I was younger. I did try cigarettes once or twice, but they were just as disgusting as I had imagined. I do drink occasionally, but I've never been a frequent drinker. I used to drink quite a bit more when I was younger, but not as often as a lot of my friends did. I still kept it to once or twice a week, while they'd go out every single day. Now I still drink once or twice a week, but only one or two drinks. I love wine and craft beer and I enjoy it as a treat, but I don't like the feeling of getting drunk anymore. It really takes quite a lot out of me now and the recovery time is way too long to find any joy in it. But if I had to give up alcohol tomorrow, I could do so and I wouldn't miss it.

On the other hand, I definitely miss caffeine. That is totally my vice and I've quit it and picked it up so many times over the years. But it's definitely run its course with my body now since it causes an anxiety/heart issue with me and I can no longer drink it without triggering a panic attack later that night. Even the smallest amount of caffeine will do that to me now. I used to be able to drink quite a few caffeinated drinks a day, now I can't even drink low caffeinated tea. It really sucks because I enjoy the flavor of caffeinated drinks quite a bit and the cravings are so bad, but I'll just have to deal.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Hahahahahahaha thanks for the laugh Tony. I hope one day you find the help you need.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I seriously can't believe that I overlooked this possibility, although, granted, I've overlooked a lot of stuff before, but I've recently/finally learned that sometimes being a non-drinker and a non-smoker can actually give off red flags for the possibility of one being a staunchly judgmental religious fanatic.

As somebody that was born and reared in the Christian, Protestant, Seventh-day Adventist Church, I just can't believe that I overlooked that, since in Adventism, smoking and drinking are forbidden sins, so I'd totally now have a much better and clearer understanding as to why people felt judged, or thought they were judged.

There are also a lot of other things the Seventh-day Adventist Church opposes and condemns, but for whatever reason, it was a lot easier for me to see why their beliefs for abstaining from those other forbidden things, while condemning them, would leave people feeling judged. And more Adventist church members than not, certainly discuss and label drinkers and smokers in a very negative way.

And well, not to derail my thread and turn it into to an Adventist thread, but it apparently was an enormous part of my experiences regarding this matter whenever I spoke to people outside of my religious circles, since they're even at great odds with the Roman Catholics about smoking and drinking, as well as other personal life choices. Although, I still haven't gotten into smoking, and don't really drink, but it's not for religious reasons as of right now, as I'm not even religious these days either. I suppose I just got used to most of the Adventist lifestyle. I'll admit that it would be impossible for me to follow all the way through, even if I still had the conviction I was reared with, considering just how far and deep the rules of Adventism really go.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    smoke. too much. tobacco and weed.
    don't drink, simply because i cannot tolerate the out of control-ness that alcohol brings.
    i never feel out of control smoking weed (though eating it is a totally different animal, for me).
    i don't mind others drinking, unless they get in my face or want to attempt a debate or any type of real conversation.
    i don't mean that cunty, or superior or anything...i just don't see a point in having a conversation with someone who can't keep their eyes in one spot, you know?
    and getting in my face: that sort of "haaaaaave fuuuuuun, dance.". "i AM having fun". "no." (grabs me and tries to "make" me dance) "noooooo, dance like this". etc. if they are just drinking and laughing and being chill, all is well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I quit smoking last year and quit drinking 7 days ago. The last two days were pretty hard but I had a friend taking my mind off of it. These have been the first two nights in a row with no work and no drinking in about 4 years. It feels odd, but good
    Go me! I'm almost at 2 and a half years now!