Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    just found out that Metal Gear Solid 4 now has trophies?

Nifty. I'm now strangely more interested in playing through that game again than I am in Rising.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

Nifty. I'm now strangely more interested in playing through that game again than I am in Rising.
    I heard it would get trophy support in August and glad to hear it confirmed. I'll have to start playing it again.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Yeah, that bumped it up on my replay list. Haven't played it since launch... geez.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yup! I hadn't been following that at all, so when it was finally announced, it was kind out of nowhere for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Awesome, just awesome. MGS3 and Peace Walker were 2 of my all time favorite games. Judging by the gear Big Boss is holding, this is gonna be another cold war era game. I just cant get enough of that stuff! Im hoping they are building on foundation of Peace Walker, with its massive meta-game system of managing Outer Heaven. Anyways, im way more excited for this than Revengance. Dont get me wong, Raiden is a badass, but im not a fan of Devil May Cry style hack and slash games.
    I just realized I STILL haven't played Peace Walker. I loved Big Boss in MGS3, though. I think I'll jump into that as soon as I finish some homework.

But man, between finding time to play Peace Walker and replay MGS4 for the millionth time, plus probably playing MGS 1, 2, and 3 to get warmed up for Rising, AND the announcement of Ground Zeroes, the next year or so is gonna be pretty MGS heavy again. I haven't played this much Metal Gear since right around when MGS 4 came out.

OH. And then there's this.

http://www.examiner.com/article/meta...ally-announced

I'm curiously excited, for sure, but I don't wanna make any big judgements until we find out more about the movie. I think it could be possible, but...but man, it'd be REALLY tricky. A lot of things can go wrong if they try bringing some of the common MGS motifs and memes onto the big screen. I trust that Kojima will help keep things in check, but I'll reserve judgement.

inb4 MGS 4 movie jokes. :P

Speaking of which, I think this is hilarious. I love these guys, and they have their friend Woolie with them, just giving commentary over cutscenes from different games (It's just one of the different shows they do, all the rest involve gameplay or animation). They put up a poll asking which game they should watch next from a selection, and guess which game blew the others out of the water? They're only on part 4, each video about 30 minutes long, and they're not even done with Act 2 yet. But the commentary's more than them bickering and talking about their opinions, it's also really informative, because they've all been MGS fans for years. Anyway, it's a really good way to kill time. I don't miss an episode.

Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 08-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Alright. The trailer for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

More info here: http://www.metalgearsolid.com/events/pax2012/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Dammit, Kojima, just take my money. And I'm a huge Big Boss fan as well. I struggled in MGS3 and never finished Peace Walker. Might have to get the HD collection now...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Heh, I'm waiting to play through 2 and 3 again before I play Peace Walker. I just wanna get those two out of the way since I'm still kinda familiar with all the collectables and stuff. Just get them knocked out of the way before I dive into any new games, let alone new Metal Gear.

Right now, I'm playing through MGS 2 a second time. First playthrough is always just killing people and having fun. Second one? Zero kills, zero alerts, zero deathsand Game Over if seen by the enemy. :P One hard, at least. Maybe I'll try it on Extreme in the future.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 09-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    holy shit Ground Zeroes looks awesome... I kinda feel its going to work out a lot like Peace Walker 2, with mother base and things, and Kojima was saying its the prologue to MGS5, So I'm thinking it will probably be similar to PW.. but then that ended up a HUGE game. Crazy.
    Can't wait. If that is playing on current gen consoles. Whoa. If not, well.. the next gen sure looks purty.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Apparently, Kojima's also interested in doing a full-length game revolving around The Boss someday. That could be pretty cool...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd love to see more about The Boss. What I REALLY want to see is the clash between Big Boss and Zero. That's where the series really took momentum. Foxhound, etc.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ground Zeroes > Revengeance

I'll get it. The graphics look beautiful.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Well, there's a new trailer out that was shown at TGS 2012.

It basically proves that this game is at least gonna be fucking intense on the action. (I'd post a link, but this iPod doesn't like it when I do that.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Double post for pretty sweet trailer. I'm still kinda siding with Ground Zeroes as my most anticipated Metal Gear release on the way, but I'll admit that the trailers for Rising keep getting better and better.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Right now, I'm playing through MGS 2 a second time. First playthrough is always just killing people and having fun. Second one? Zero kills, zero alerts, zero deathsand Game Over if seen by the enemy. :P One hard, at least. Maybe I'll try it on Extreme in the future.
    I have never managed to get past that twat Fat Man on the hard level, I HATE him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm tired of them trying to put all this action into the MGS games. Where's the sneaking element? I played through 4 again the other day and its pretty awful. The gameplay to cut scene ratio is horrendous. I would love a game more like MGS1. And do we have to keep playing as some form of old snake? Bring back young snake. And cut out half the cut scenes

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wasn't keen on 4 either, I never finished it

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I am super stoked for the Rising demo. It's part of my motivation for getting the ZOE HD collection in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna play the HELL out of ZOE, but the Rising demo is icing on the robotic cake. I hope it's a fairly diverse demo in regards to what we can expect from the game. I wouldn't want everything to be given away, though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Just finished the demo. It was pretty fun! The "cut anything" mechanic is fun to play with. The demo opens up with a small VR mission section (and yes, there are tables of watermelons for you to cut!) to brush you up on the controls, but then goes right into part of the story, including a boss fight. You can probably watch any of the videos online covering it if you want the details.

All in all, I like it! It's different for Metal Gear, but it's fun in its own right. Definitely worth checking out if you wanna get a feel for the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if anyone watched Spike's Video Game Awards tonight, but they showed a trailer for a new game called The Phantom Pain. Apparently this is an elaborate troll by Kojima and it's actually MGS5. Here's the forum over at NeoGAF where it's being discussed. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503254

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Great. That thread/the trailer has my MGS jimmies all kinds of rustled now! It'd be really cool if MGS5 was one of the spearhead games for the PS4.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have a feeling that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are both a part of the same game. Kojima said that Ground Zeroes is the prologue to MGS5, but maybe he meant that in the same sense that the Tanker is the prologue to the Plant, and Virtuous Mission is the prologue to Snake Eater. He also mentioned something about being captured in GZ means breaking out of prison, so maybe one of the large scale boss battles leads to Big Boss being maimed and having to find his way out of this hospital.

or maybe it's a simulation, who fucking knows.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    or maybe it's a simulation, who fucking knows.
    Hideo Kojima.

Sorry, had to.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Metal Gear Solid

Well, there's still that Project Ogre that no one really knows anything about. He claims it's something different though.. Should be interesting either way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://media.officialplaystationmaga...-Solid-5-3.jpg

so, in this pic Snake has a hook for an arm before he gets to the hospital. Not a huge revelation I guess, but that means something terrible happened before this Phantom Pain incident.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Well, there's still that Project Ogre that no one really knows anything about. He claims it's something different though.. Should be interesting either way.
    I thought Project Ogre was Ground Zeroes?

EDIT: Nevermind, http://www.twitlonger.com/show/j53jdm
    Last edited by wizfan; 12-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Metal Gear Solid

Maybe Ground Zeroes takes place in different time periods? It's obviously Big Boss in that trailer. The prosthetic arm seems weird though. Would make sense if maybe he lost a hand after losing to Snake. Or maybe they give him a prosthetic hand at some point. I think its just a new Trailer for Ground Zeroes. The fake studio name and everything else just seems weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Something interesting discussed in the NeoGAF thread linked above -- with the flying whale in the trailer and the completely bogus studio named "Moby Dick", it can give the impression of parallels being drawn between Ahab and Big Boss, both of whom suffer from monomania. The footage could be a first-person perspective of Big Boss's psychological decent, with all the various characters and symbolism already seen in his backstory.

Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Huh...An interesting collection/interpretation of all the Phantom Pain info, with video.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/divinediabl...-pain-research

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Started Metal Gear Solid 4 again today. Here's to hoping I finish it and/or stay invested with interest to get farther.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    One of the things I wanna do over break is marathon MGS, just for kicks, and kinda to prep for Rising. 1, 2, 3, Peace Walker, and 4. I have yet to play Peace Walker at all, and it's been years since I had MGS1 available to me, so I'm gonna get that as soon as finals are done. And after I drink my semester sorrows away Friday night.