Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CHVRCHES / Synth Pop with Feeling

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

CHVRCHES / Synth Pop with Feeling

I'm totally into the debut album from CHVRCHES. the whole album is just really good feeling. Sounds fantastic. Great future synth pop.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Really? Nobody into these guys?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really like the album. That's all I have to add.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    This album is fantastic. She sounds like she's 16 but for some reason it totally works. This album might be this year's answer to last year's incredible Purity Ring album.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    I just heard that song earlier today. I just downloaded the album and an EP of theirs. I'll give it a listen later tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hell yeah! I love this group so much and they're quickly becoming one of my favorites. I haven't heard the new album yet but I've played the shit out of Lies, The Mother We Share, Recover, Now is Not the Time, Zvvl among with whatever else I found on iTunes. I wish they'd come to Arizona though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    CHVRCHES are great! I pre-ordered their album, but haven't listened to it yet. Happy to see you guys are into it.

I've been really into "Lies" lately - I kinda like when the singer slips into her native accent.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've been waiting for this album to leak in FLAC, and I listened to it yesterday. I really liked it and I pre-ordered the special version. Looking forward to the bonus tracks!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Great album but won a pair of tickets to see them when they rolled through Vancouver last week and it was...well it was good. Vocally however, she came off pretty flat in a lot of parts.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    I heard it last night and... fuck... that was amazing. There's some great songs in there. Synth-pop is back and in a big way. Thanks to Chvrches as well as old school acts like OMD and Pet Shop Boys.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "Lies" has been my jam today. The intro melody kind of reminds me of the Game of Thrones theme music, so it makes me like it even more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love these guys and have been loving the album for a couple of weeks now. I saw them in Chicago last week and had a great time, as well. I can't wait for them to make more stuff, but I suppose they have to release that debut album first...

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Heard them on Sirius XM via Alt Nation today. Unsure if I like them or not.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think Chrvrches represent what Reznor wanted HTDA to sound like originally, before they got bored (and then quasi-experimental).

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I think Chrvrches represent what Reznor wanted HTDA to sound like originally, before they got bored (and then quasi-experimental).
    I don't know if I agree with this at all...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really like Chvrches too, the debut album is pretty damn good. Downloaded a flac version while waiting for the CD to arrive. Only criticism would be directed towards the Deluxe version which seems to be available on iTunes only, no CD version. How can digital be deluxe when you can't even touch it!!??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got the album and I love it! Lungs and Night Sky are my highlights. Lungs is sooooo catchy. I can't believe they're not passing through Arizona on their upcoming tour

Also, The Mother We Share is the single of the week on iTunes if anyone else wants to check them out with a free track.
    Last edited by Thiah; 09-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Picked this up the other day. This is what pop should sound like. I really like it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    this album
    so good
    that's all I have

tether breaks my heart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love these guys so much! Definitely in my top 3 albums of this year. Seeing them in Glasgow in March

Tether and Science/Visions are bloody incredible

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojane View Post
    Love these guys so much! Definitely in my top 3 albums of this year. Seeing them in Glasgow in March

Tether and Science/Visions are bloody incredible
    I've read their live show wasn't quite *there* yet, so I'll be really curious to hear how it is!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    screwdriver,
    I saw them live at a small venue a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. That was before I'd heard their album, so most of the songs had the benefit of being new & exciting to me. That said, the band sounded good and the lights were really cool. Now that I've spent some time with the album, I can reflect back on the show and say that certain songs definitely had a superior live edge - for example, the live backing vocals on "By The Throat" came across as more aggressive and less whispered which I really liked. Furthermore, the live version of "Tether" was more ballad-esque during its first half, which made the 2nd half more powerful and affecting.

Again, this was my first time hearing a lot of these songs, so my perception is probably slightly skewed.

Surprised I'm not seeing more love for "We Sink" and "By The Throat" here. Granted, there isn't a weak track on this album, but those 2 really stand out to me, especially the latter. I also wish they were the opener and closer of the album even though "The Mother We Share" and "You Caught The Light" fill those roles well, too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    screwdriver,
    I saw them live at a small venue a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. That was before I'd heard their album, so most of the songs had the benefit of being new & exciting to me. That said, the band sounded good and the lights were really cool. Now that I've spent some time with the album, I can reflect back on the show and say that certain songs definitely had a superior live edge - for example, the live backing vocals on "By The Throat" came across as more aggressive and less whispered which I really liked. Furthermore, the live version of "Tether" was more ballad-esque during its first half, which made the 2nd half more powerful and affecting.

Again, this was my first time hearing a lot of these songs, so my perception is probably slightly skewed.

Surprised I'm not seeing more love for "We Sink" and "By The Throat" here. Granted, there isn't a weak track on this album, but those 2 really stand out to me, especially the latter. I also wish they were the opener and closer of the album even though "The Mother We Share" and "You Caught The Light" fill those roles well, too.
    thanks, dude -- interesting to hear! I'd hoped for as you're describing -- Austra, for example, got a lot more ferocious live, and that was pretty cool.

I totally love both of those tracks too! There was no "expressio unius" intended here! "We Sink" is one of my faves too... in fact, I'm humming it now that you mentioned it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I first heard them a few days ago in the canteen at my sixth form because they play BBC Radio 1 in the background and they were being played at the time (I'd heard OF them before that though). Yeah, I definitely like them, and the fact that it was being played on the radio yet it still managed to catch my attention through that method is a feat in itself tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Strong Hand is really good off the deluxe version. I have been following this group for a while now and was almost more excited for their new album than NINs......almost.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Contender for album of the year. So damn good.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    "By The Throat" is, in fact, my favorite.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Could not disagree more. Hearing the new NIN cemented to me that HTDA is it's own thing, and I suspect it sounds exactly like what they wanted, better or worse.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Amazon dropped my copy off today. Could have done without the two male vocal tracks, whose idea was it to sneak those in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh man this album is super good