Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Sigur Ros - Jonsi and Alex - Jonsi

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sigur Rós have announced a summer tour of Europe and North America where they’ll be joined by a 41-piece orchestra. Sigur Rós have also promised that they’ll be offering the live debut of songs from their forthcoming studio album, which is due for release in June.

06-16 London, England - Royal Festival Hall
    06-17 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Concertgebouw
    06-18 Hamburg, Germany - Elbphilharmonie
    07-03 Paris, France - Philharmonie Main Hall
    08-14 Toronto, Ontario - Roy Thomson Hall
    08-16 New York, NY - Beacon Theatre
    08-18 Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
    08-19 Boston, MA - Wang Theatre
    08-21 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre
    08-24 Seattle, WA - The Paramount Theatre
    08-26 Berkeley, CA - The Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley
    08-27 Los Angeles, CA - The Greek Theatre

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Sigur Rós have announced a summer tour of Europe and North America where they’ll be joined by a 41-piece orchestra. Sigur Rós have also promised that they’ll be offering the live debut of songs from their forthcoming studio album, which is due for release in June.

06-16 London, England - Royal Festival Hall
    06-17 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Concertgebouw
    06-18 Hamburg, Germany - Elbphilharmonie
    07-03 Paris, France - Philharmonie Main Hall
    08-14 Toronto, Ontario - Roy Thomson Hall
    08-16 New York, NY - Beacon Theatre
    08-18 Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
    08-19 Boston, MA - Wang Theatre
    08-21 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre
    08-24 Seattle, WA - The Paramount Theatre
    08-26 Berkeley, CA - The Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley
    08-27 Los Angeles, CA - The Greek Theatre
    Grabbed a ticket for Minneapolis today. After missing the last US run, I simply couldn’t let myself miss this. So fucking stoked.

If anyone hasn’t seen them before, and is on the fence even a little bit, I cannot stress enough that you owe it to yourself to do anything you can to see one of these shows. It WILL be worth it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger for the Beacon Theater show.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Grabbed a ticket for Minneapolis today. After missing the last US run, I simply couldn’t let myself miss this. So fucking stoked.

If anyone hasn’t seen them before, and is on the fence even a little bit, I cannot stress enough that you owe it to yourself to do anything you can to see one of these shows. It WILL be worth it.
    I actually advise against it, unless it's your hometown and you know what the audience is like. Especially if you're in the UK. The SR audience there is as shitty as it gets.

Expect a wave of smartphones in the air, blocking all your views so that you can only see them play through a wave of fucking phone screens.

If you're in Japan (where the audience actually puts their phone down and not talk through the performance) or have a chance to see them in a relatively small venue, I'd say go for it.
    But even then, the live experience is not as magical as some claims to be.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxto View Post
    I actually advise against it, unless it's your hometown and you know what the audience is like. Especially if you're in the UK. The SR audience there is as shitty as it gets. Expect a wave of smartphones in the air, blocking all your views so that you can only see them play through a wave of fucking phone screens.If you're in Japan (where the audience actually puts their phone down and not talk through the performance) or have a chance to see them in a relatively small venue, I'd say go for it. But even then, the live experience is not as magical as some claims to be.
    Okay, well...I guess I'd advise never going to any live shows anywhere, I guess. In case the audience might be bad. Can't take that chance. Unless it's in Japan, or in a small venue, or in your hometown.

I plan on going and having a great time, and I still recommend it to others. Sorry.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I've seen Sigur Ros 4 times, each time on different tour and in different city. Not once cell phones were a problem, even compared to other bands I've seen in the same venues/festivals.

It's worth going even if they just come out, play Pop Song and go away.

The new songs they played on 2022 were perhaps the closest to the classic AG/()/Takk-eras material. Although I loved the direction they took on Kveikur.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I saw them in Stanford, CA last year, and even though the band did not have a no cellphones policy (like Tool), I barely saw any phones during the show. The audience was really quiet (maybe it helped that there were seats in an outdoor amphitheater?) but the ovation they got after each song was massive. And the sound was just gorgeous. I'm planning on getting tickets for their Berkeley show.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I saw them in Stanford, CA last year, and even though the band did not have a no cellphones policy (like Tool), I barely saw any phones during the show. The audience was really quiet (maybe it helped that there were seats in an outdoor amphitheater?) but the ovation they got after each song was massive. And the sound was just gorgeous. I'm planning on getting tickets for their Berkeley show.
    I’m undecided, and might wait until closer to the show, but I might try making the trip to LA for the final NA show. Never been that far west before, and it’d be a great excuse to go on a road trip. I’m gonna have to see what other shows get announced for this summer first, though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I’m undecided, and might wait until closer to the show, but I might try making the trip to LA for the final NA show. Never been that far west before, and it’d be a great excuse to go on a road trip. I’m gonna have to see what other shows get announced for this summer first, though.
    I think I read on Reddit that these are the only North America shows for the year, and the only shows that will have an orchestra (Darren posted this, he works with Sigur Ros). So if I were you I'd be getting tickets!

Found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/sigurros/co...eb2x&context=3

If you get the tickets for the Berkeley show I'll buy you a beer before the show. It's a beautiful venue! Saw NIN there last year and it was awesome.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 03-22-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Okay, well...I guess I'd advise never going to any live shows anywhere, I guess. In case the audience might be bad. Can't take that chance. Unless it's in Japan, or in a small venue, or in your hometown.

I plan on going and having a great time, and I still recommend it to others. Sorry.
    Good to hear you had a great time.

I had the worst concert experience of my life in one of the SR show I attended (UK), so I'm just sharing my opinion. It's up for others to decide.
    My experience so far with the 4 SR shows that I've attended is that sometimes the audience gives the respect the music deserves (Japan), but more often than not they don't.

So will I attend another unseated, outdoor/festival Sigur Ros show? Probably not.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I think I read on Reddit that these are the only North America shows for the year, and the only shows that will have an orchestra (Darren posted this, he works with Sigur Ros). So if I were you I'd be getting tickets!

Found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/sigurros/co...eb2x&context=3

If you get the tickets for the Berkeley show I'll buy you a beer before the show. It's a beautiful venue! Saw NIN there last year and it was awesome.
    I MIGHT be wrong here…but if memory serves, I think Darren may have been the same guy helping get me press passes to the first Jonsi solo shows way back in 2011. If so, he’s an awesome dude, and it’s cool to see him still working with the band. (Edit: Did some digging - if this is Darren Webb, it’s definitely the same dude! Wonder if he’d help me get a Sigur Ros pass…)

As for seeing other shows, my BIGGEST concern right now is that I’m holding out for the potential of an UNKLE tour happening this year. Plus, all kinds of other bands are announcing summer things right now. If summer rolls around nothing else of higher priority has been announced, I’ll definitely be making plans to catch more Sigur Ros shows. Seattle for sure, because I’ve got friends up there, and then probably at least one of the last two NA shows in California. If I’m in Berkeley, I’ll absolutely take you up on that drink! But we’ll see what happens.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 03-23-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    See you suckas at the Beacon Theater. So so so excited. Had to go to this considering we just went to Iceland in November.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Listening events happening on Wednesday June 14 at a handful of cities around the world where the new album will be played in full. Details at https://sigurros.com/features/listen...Ny9klcQ574tkaE

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First single.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    In Reddit everyone's raving about the song, I just found it underwhelming. It meanders and goes nowhere. People compare it to Valtari, but in Valtari those songs had peaks and valleys, they went somewhere. I'm hoping the rest of the album is better.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's honestly nothing to write home about. It's just Jonsi singing over melancholy orchestrations, with no bass, guitar, or drums. It's almost identical to a lot of the ambient stuff they've been releasing over the last decade, just with vocals. It's very pretty sounding, absolutely, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table whatsoever.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I remember when Ekki Mukk was released, that song crushed me. The bass was powerful, and the closing piano bars had emotion attached to them. Ekki Mukk is a simple song in terms of instrumentation but it made me feel something. Again, here's hoping this is just a weak first single (ala 'Rescued' with Foo Fighters) and the rest of the album delivers.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I think the title and the video puts it into perspective. It's a requiem. Might be an odd choice for a single, but I like it.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-12-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Have a friend who attended the listening party.

- 10 tracks, almost an hour long.
    - Song titles (without accents): Glod, Blodberg, Skel, Klettur, Mor, Andra, Gold, Ylur, Fall, 8
    - Album title not revealed.
    - Very similar overall to Valtari. Some drum elements but nothing really traditional in the sense.
    - VERY orchestra heavy, definitely a lot of Kjartan’s influence.
    - Made to listen through in its entirety. A few standout moments but no real ‘singles’ per se.
    - A few very dramatic build ups to some powerful orchestral moments.
    - A lot of the lower register and quieter vocals from Jonsi similar to the first released song above.

Apparently my friend got lucky and despite the lottery system, each listening party had legit under 100 people per location? Seems crazy but I’ve seen some videos on IG and seriously…the Berlin one looked like 20 people scattered around a room sitting on the floor. Crazy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pre-orders for merch are up now. I caved in and bought the Heimr exclusive vinyl (red variant), even though I was not convinced with the single. Here's hoping the rest of the album is more like Valtari or Obsidian than Blodberg.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh wow and Atta drops digitally at midnight too, I guess I know what I'll be listening to tomorrow!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    About halfway through the album as we speak, and yeah...this definitely just sort of meanders about. Love the sort of tribal drums in 'Klettur' but other than that literally nothing has stood out. Looking back at the tracklist and you could play 30 sec of a track and I wouldn't be able to tell you which song it was from.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It definitely works better when listened to as a whole unit rather than individual tracks. All the comparisons to Valtari are spot on. This is so similar its almost like a direct sequel to it. Klettur is fucking fantastic though. Kinda wish they would have leaned into that sound a bit more on this album.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just finished listening. This is definitely a more somber, ethereal album compared to Kveikur. The comparison to Valtari seems apt. Doesn't really grab you at the start, but it lets your mind wander a bit, which I like. Not their best work, but it hits the spot.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    After a few more listens, the album seems to play out like a soundtrack almost, at least to me. Glod being the Opening Credits and the second half of 8 being the Closing Credits. It's a nice way of listening to it honestly.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)