Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thrice

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It's ok, but I'm severely disappointed.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    After my first listen I was underwhelmed. However, I dug it more upon repeated spins. (Can I still call it a "spin" if it's digital?) "Hurricane", "The Window", and "Death From Above" are standout tracks for me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I dig it. It mostly just sounds like standard radio rock, and only a handful of tracks legit stand out from the rest, but as a whole, it's a nice album to just put on in the background. Seneca is beautiful and I wish they'd have turned that into a full track though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    After a long hiatus, I was expecting an in your face comeback. Instead we get a washed down version of Major/Minor. Every now and then bands need to step out of their comfort zone which Thrice have done their past 2, even 3 albums. But after dabbling with different sounds, you need to tap back into your roots of what made you the band that everyone knows and loves, and a more aggressive approach would have been so perfect for them. This album is boring and it's Thrice just going through the motions. Sounds more like a Dustin Kensrue solo effort instead of a Thrice album.

I agree fully on Seneca. But why turn it into filler? Bleh.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    If anyone's interested, they're currently opening pre-orders for the vinyl reissue of The Alchemy Index until Monday. Originally, they were limited to a numbered pressing of 2,000, available Friday at 10 am, and that was gonna be it. After a mess-up with the store, myself and 1,999 other people noticed they were available online HOURS early, so there was a little backlash from people waiting to get it on Friday. If you want one, now's your chance! I managed to bag one of the numbered ones and one of the non-numbered, just because. I'd hesitate to say whether it's my favorite album of theirs, but damn. That vinyl looks REALLY goddamn pretty.

BUYER BEWARE: SANDBAG WARNING.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Alrea
    I'm not a huge Thrice fan, but man, do I f'n love the Water disc on The Alchemy Index. I personally love their more electronic side and wish they did more stuff like this. It reminds me of one of my favorite bands ever called Woven. I took the Water disc along with a couple of other Alchemy Index tracks and found some similar vibe tracks from their discography and made my own personal little Thrice album that fits the more electronic, chilled side I enjoy.

P.S. This looks a hell of a lot more nicer than that Deviations 1 set.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-25-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    @Alrea
    I'm not a huge Thrice fan, but man, do I f'n love the Water disc on The Alchemy Index. I personally love their more electronic side and wish they did more stuff like this. It reminds me of one of my favorite bands ever called Woven. I took the Water disc along with a couple of other Alchemy Index tracks and found some similar vibe tracks from their discography and made my own personal little Thrice album that fits the more electronic, chilled side I enjoy.

P.S. This looks a hell of a lot more nicer than that Deviations 1 set.
    The water disc hit me pretty hard when I first listened to it. I would say that one resonated with me the most along with Earth with Air right behind that one. I did a similar thing you did with the album you created as well finding a handful of songs from Vheissu that fit right in the mix. I remember when they had the website dedicated to their progression on the entire project; it was really interesting to follow them on that journey with it. Too bad I do not have the doe for the vinyl set at the moment.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have an original pressing of this (including the messed up "earth" disc as well as the replacement one) because it's definitely my favorite thing thrice ever did. is every song absolutely amazing? no, but the weak songs are still pretty good, and the concept is so strong that when you listen to it all the way through, it feels very cohesive.

glad this is getting a repress so people can stop messaging me on discogs asking to buy my copy

edit: whoa, this is on 180g 12" vinyl??? the original is on 10" so i'm actually tempted to get this...fuck...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm seeing them tomorrow. Mostly for Circa Survive, but it should be fun to see them also. I've seen them once before in 2003 opening for Deftones. Can't remember much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No comment yet on the latest album? Wow, that's also saying something. Though I do love Hold Up A Light from Palms most of the other songs are kind of standard radio rock that remind me of different other bands but don't really stand out.

I'm seeing them for the first time tomorrow. Although I'm mostly going for Refused, I'm looking forward to Thrice as well. I'm hoping for a varied setlist, with songs from all their different eras.
    Last edited by SchwarzerAbt; 11-04-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I honestly forgot it came out. Only one or two songs really stood out, and even the companion EP was eh. It sounds like Thrice by the numbers to me. In my opinion they missed a golden opportunity to go back to some of their roots. I adore them for being so diverse in their sound, but it feels like they need to return to that sound a bit to really make an impact next time.

As for the setlist they have been playing, it is varied, but not their best.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    No comment yet on the latest album? Wow, that's also saying something. Though I do love Hold Up A Light from Palms most of the other songs are kind of standard radio rock that remind me of different other bands but don't really stand out.

I'm seeing them for the first time tomorrow. Although I'm mostly going for Refused, I'm looking forward to Thrice as well. I'm hoping for a varied setlist, with songs from all their different eras.
    I felt the same way, I still love their older work but the newer stuff doesn't do much for me. I still need to see them live.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Digging the new song!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    First 2/3 of the song was really good, way too long.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It does drag at the end with the repeated chorus. The video edit is almost a minute shorter I believe.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Another from Thrice's new upcoming album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New album has some really good moments on it. Nothing really heavy, but heavy undertones and a mixture of different moments throughout their discography that I totally dig. Definitely a return to form in certain areas, and even some tones of Alchemy Index, with feeling like a companion album to Vheissu at times as well.

Also, the singles work better cohesively. I like them much more this time around.

Standouts for me:

Northern Lights
    Dandelion Wine
    Still Life
    The Color of the Sky
    Unitive/East
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-17-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Im enjoying it. Whole album gives me Radiohead vibes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Definitely better than their last few, maybe since Alchemy.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    To Be Everywhere is such a great album and I feel like it always gets glossed over because it's sandwiched between Thrice's two least interesting albums. I'm not sure if I like this new one more than it, but it's at the least, just as good.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    To Be Everywhere is such a great album and I feel like it always gets glossed over because it's sandwiched between Thrice's two least interesting albums. I'm not sure if I like this new one more than it, but it's at the least, just as good.
    Agree with this so much. I always call it the "Heavy Major/Minor". I love how versatile the band is as far as sound goes, you can really pick and choose what kind of Thrice you wanna hear. From a cohesive and lyrical standpoint, To Be Everywhere is an overall superior record, even though this album I'm really enjoying.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New Thrice song from the East session's. This easily could have been on the album, along with Alchemy and even Beggers. Really dig this one.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I have recently returned to Thrice, and have been listening to their entire discography over. Not only are they masters of their craft, they have always marched to the beat of their own drum, and just continue to make very, very good music.

Besides Palms, which imo was a huge step back from what they became, Horizons/East came back with a familiar, yet refreshing approach. With Horizons/West in the works, I cannot wait to see what they touch upon from the East/West sessions.

I totally forgot The Artist In The Ambulance Revisited came out, and holy shit does it add a completely new dynamic to the tracks. Dustin said that he felt the OG was a tad too stiff, and wanted to have it sound more raw/live, and free sound. His new vocal heights change a lot of tones, and I actually like a few songs better than the originals. Takes a lot of balls to rework, arguably your bands best material, and shake it up in such a refreshing way.

Also forgot this single came out last year. Nice to hear they still have it in them to be aggressive.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    amped to see Thrice do AitA in full on 10/12. '68 is opening too, which is cool.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 09-27-2023 at 02:48 AM.