Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34
Results 991 to 1,009 of 1009

Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

  1. #991
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Ohhh, believe me, I know what you're saying. I'm just weird in that I have some serious aggro when people have poor table manners, and this trend has been increasing for a while. Or it's just a sign that I'm getting old.

  2. #992
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    he also eats 'home made' coconut oil out of a mason jar and has a new one every day.
    This dude's arteries must be totally fucked.

  3. #993
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't believe it's officially recognized as a mental health issue, but it's got a name: misophonia.Show of hands - anyone else feeling understood right now, or am I just nuts?
    It’s a neurophysiological disorder.

    Chewing, snoring, fork-biting, sinus-clearing, people repeatedly THROAT-CLEARING MAKES ME CLIMB WALLS, omg. TERRIBLE. Feels like in a BATHTUB with the noise.

    I like this article. OMG a fucking chips bag, OMG.

    I have hereditary migraines so I believe that my migraines are related to the misophonia.

    edit: whoa, jeez, there's an association lol: https://misophonia-association.org/
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2020 at 02:48 AM.

  4. #994
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I had a doctor appointment today and decided to tell him that my memory is going. Like, there are times when I am talking or thinking and I get to a word and my brain just shuts down and I can't go any further. Usually I can think around the word I want with synonyms and antonyms - because I can see the word, I just can't say it - and I get there eventually but there are an increasing number of times when it's just a full stop.

    Memory is one of the biggest things that shape who you are and it's like admitting you're weak, to borrow a phrase from fragile male egos. I mean, I didn't put it on the paperwork as a reason I was there because I didn't want his nurses to know ffs. But he's a great guy and helped with some stuff back when my wife was really sick and hurting so it was 'easy' to open up to him. Really weird to feel my body/mind telling me nooooooo while I was talking about it.

  5. #995
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I had a doctor appointment today and decided to tell him that my memory is going. Like, there are times when I am talking or thinking and I get to a word and my brain just shuts down and I can't go any further. Usually I can think around the word I want with synonyms and antonyms - because I can see the word, I just can't say it - and I get there eventually but there are an increasing number of times when it's just a full stop.

    Memory is one of the biggest things that shape who you are and it's like admitting you're weak, to borrow a phrase from fragile male egos. I mean, I didn't put it on the paperwork as a reason I was there because I didn't want his nurses to know ffs. But he's a great guy and helped with some stuff back when my wife was really sick and hurting so it was 'easy' to open up to him. Really weird to feel my body/mind telling me nooooooo while I was talking about it.
    Damn, sorry to hear that dude. Did he have any thoughts about what might be causing it?

  6. #996
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    early thought was sleep apnea so I'm going in for a sleep study. he's also referring me to a cognitive specialist, so there's that too. maybe ADD/ADHD at a low level? there are thoughts, going to check them all out.

  7. #997
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    early thought was sleep apnea so I'm going in for a sleep study. he's also referring me to a cognitive specialist, so there's that too. maybe ADD/ADHD at a low level? there are thoughts, going to check them all out.
    Any meds you’re on that could be causing it? I have it, and one of my meds is the culprit (Topiramate for migraines).

    Although, my estrogen loss is likely also causing it. A male friend of ours gets regular testosterone shots and he swears it boosts his memory and makes him feel fantastic.

    Sleep apnea definitely a culprit, though.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2020 at 09:22 PM.

  8. #998
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    wish I could say yes, the only thing I'm on consistently is Benadryl and Cetirizine.

  9. #999
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    wish I could say yes, the only thing I'm on consistently is Benadryl and Cetirizine.
    Benedryl is one of them.

    https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-he...ss.html#quest1

  10. #1000
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    well balls. guess it's cetirizine only for me for awhile.

    though I appreciate that it's got gabapentin on the list, that's one my wife is on daily for her nerve pain and she hates how forgetful she is, not to mention how dependent she is on the drug to feel 'normal'. I'll point that one out to her.

  11. #1001
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    well balls. guess it's cetirizine only for me for awhile.

    though I appreciate that it's got gabapentin on the list, that's one my wife is on daily for her nerve pain and she hates how forgetful she is, not to mention how dependent she is on the drug to feel 'normal'. I'll point that one out to her.
    Here is another alarming article:

    https://time.com/5414015/sleeping-pill-health-risks/

    I’ve been trying to avoid Benedryl, too, yikes.

  12. #1002
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Here is another alarming article:

    https://time.com/5414015/sleeping-pill-health-risks/

    I’ve been trying to avoid Benedryl, too, yikes.
    All these senior articles, I'm only 42 wtf! :P

    I only take it at night for allergies the next day but I'm stopping that now; I take melatonin at the same time for sleep.

  13. #1003
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,941
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    All these senior articles, I'm only 42 wtf! :P

    I only take it at night for allergies the next day but I'm stopping that now; I take melatonin at the same time for sleep.
    Well, it says “especially among older adults” because they’re the biggest demographic with sleep issues (as well as the biggest demographic taking OTC sleep meds, and the active ingredient in those OTC sleep meds - Diphenhydramine - is the same active ingredient in Benedryl).

    Benedryl only lasts for 4 hours, unfortunately. I wish I could take melatonin; it causes me to have restless leg syndrome. LOL, can’t win.

    I hope you feel better. I’ve been reading some books about mindfulness in an attempt to sharpen my memory. I’m kind of excited about the possibilities.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2020 at 06:01 PM.

  14. #1004
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Most doctors are happy to prescribe trazodone for insomnia. It's an ancient SSRI that no one uses for depression anymore, but it's prescribed off-brand as a sleep aid. 50mg will get me 4-5 hrs of sleep. It's also generic, so it can be fairly cheap/ covered by insurance easily.

  15. #1005
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,814
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Well, it says “especially among older adults” because they’re the biggest demographic with sleep issues (as well as the biggest demographic taking OTC sleep meds, and the active ingredient in those OTC sleep meds - Diphenhydramine - is the same active ingredient in Benedryl).

    Benedryl only lasts for 4 hours, unfortunately. I wish I could take melatonin; it causes me to have restless leg syndrome. LOL, can’t win.

    I hope you feel better. I’ve been reading some books about mindfulness in an attempt to sharpen my memory. I’m kind of excited about the possibilities.
    melatonin will randomly give me RLS as well, it's really weird how it happens because I can't figure out what it pairs with to make it happen.

  16. #1006
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,943
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    @allegate I've felt like my memory has been getting worse and I'm eleven years younger than you, i haven't inquired about it with my gp though it's just something I've ruled as being related poor short-term memory. However it's interesting you mentioned the ADD/ADHD as that's definitely something that's been suspected because of my other issues. I'm wondering if there actually could be a link there, hard to say... we're all so different and brains are so fucking complicated.

  17. #1007
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,016
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I really hate dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder on top of what I already deal with year round. While this winter hasn't been too bad in terms of cold and snow, we've had less sunshine than normal. Sun lamps don't work on me, so I'm having to tough it out until spring gets here.

  18. #1008
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,046
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    I just wanted to quickly get this out of my system for now.

    Anyway, I was just thinking of the fight-or-flight response for quite a while, letting it sink in and I'm like, damn would it be so easy, so effortless to either fight or retreat every single time there was conflict, or every single time I had my feelings hurt or became aggravated. I wouldn't have to think. It would be a reflex like scratching an itch. But of course, society, civilization, laws, responsibilities/obligations, morals/ethics, consequences/punishments, etc.

    Not to mention, the world would be clearly more reckless and dangerous that way, nor would it continue to be functional in any capacity, and every single way detrimental and dysfunctional instead.

    Fighting and running away just seems so right sometimes, as if they're the best courses of actions available, ever. (But I know, that's mostly appealing to my emotions more than anything logical/rational.) Resort to force or retreat, easy. Working things out via thoughts and words, not so much.

    This is me also realizing how draining being conflict averse can be as the years/decades go by.

    However, I'm thankful things are somewhat okay for me now, but it still dawned upon me how much easier it is to fight and/or run in the face of conflict and hostility. (While obviously still sometimes being among the worst courses of action to take when it comes to problem-solving/conflict resolution.)

    I think this also finally helped me realize why my temptations to fight or run have been incredibly so strong my entire life. With this awareness, I hope to overcome it all the sooner.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-01-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Just added a few more reasons among the plethora of reasons to never always give in to the "Fight-or-Flight" response.

  19. #1009
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't believe it's officially recognized as a mental health issue, but it's got a name: misophonia.

    Do you get filled with anything from anxiety to rage at the sound of someone eating? Repeatedly clicking a pen? Just plain breathing heavily? I'm not talking "oh, those sounds are annoying". I mean you literally feel angry to the point of near violence at the sound of these things?
    Well this is interesting. I am not the only person to experience an exaggerated response to certain sounds? Smooching and whispering are much worse than fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Just makes me want to punch a wall or something equally stupid. I spent much time / money on therapy years ago to try and come to terms with this. Not much came from that except empty wallet syndrome. So I just did my best to practice avoidance. And occasionally fix a hole in the wall. Geesh.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions